Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas
 
Toy animal WikiToy animal Wiki  HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Dictionary  Animal Toy forum  

Share | 
 

 asian elephants

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
ppotts



Country/State : Usa
Age : 22
Joined : 2011-11-23
Posts : 11

PostSubject: asian elephants    Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:13 am

ok i really like schelich papo and safari but i found collecta on tgf and order there asian elephant calf and and adult it was a little disapointing compared to there male babboon and spoonbills and ostriches
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
avatar

Country/State : Portugal
Age : 43
Joined : 2010-08-20
Posts : 22071

PostSubject: Re: asian elephants    Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:29 am

Congrats! Won't you show them? bounce
Could you tell us what you don't like in CollectA Asian elephant?
It is not perfect but it is the only Asian without important flaws I know! elephant
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
My Britains Indian rhino and CollectA Indian elephant

_________________
~ Rogério [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
avatar

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.
Age : 65
Joined : 2010-09-30
Posts : 31091

PostSubject: Re: asian elephants    Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:51 am

That surely is a great Indian Elafant !!!! cheers
If we MUST look for flaws, he is perhaps a bit long in the body, and a bit short-legged ? scratch
At least compared to [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Rolling Eyes

Roger you Britains Rhino is fabulous drunken

_________________
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] SUSANNE   [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
http://dyr-og-dimser.dk
Vivien

avatar

Country/State : Germany
Age : 19
Joined : 2011-10-10
Posts : 1993

PostSubject: Re: asian elephants    Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:05 pm

I don't have any Asian Elephants yet but this one looks nice enough to join my collection! Very Happy bounce bounce

_________________
Vivien
Back to top Go down
bojan



Country/State : slovenia
Age : 40
Joined : 2012-01-04
Posts : 1020

PostSubject: Re: asian elephants    Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:17 pm

I like that Elephant a lot, even if he's standing on short legs (for an elephant) Suspect

_________________
Bojan
Back to top Go down
ppotts



Country/State : Usa
Age : 22
Joined : 2011-11-23
Posts : 11

PostSubject: asian elephants    Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:33 pm

it is two short legged and the calf with trunk extended is taller than it
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
avatar

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE
Age : 53
Joined : 2010-04-01
Posts : 15001

PostSubject: Re: asian elephants    Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:20 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Congrats! Won't you show them? bounce
Could you tell us what you don't like in CollectA Asian elephant?
It is not perfect but it is the only Asian without important flaws I know! elephant

It's funny how we can perceive a model and how we appreciate it. Even the way we are thinking about an animal is more subjective than I usually think.

I don't like this model because I think it has too much flaws for me. head, body and legs have wrong proportions. head is too big, body is too long and legs are too short and too bulky for me. A very strange melting for me.

I would really like to understand why you think this model has less flaws ?

_________________
Christophe
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
avatar

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE
Age : 53
Joined : 2010-04-01
Posts : 15001

PostSubject: Re: asian elephants    Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:24 pm

Here are some models that IMHO have less flaws than the CollectA, but maybe it is also very subjective Wink

LINEOL
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

MARX
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

BRITAINS
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

BANDAÏ
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

COLORATA
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

BULLYLAND
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

PAPO
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

_________________
Christophe
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
MartinH
Moderator
avatar

Country/State : Czech Republic
Age : 35
Joined : 2010-08-24
Posts : 2932

PostSubject: Re: asian elephants    Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:32 pm

Oh.. I have this CollectA asian elefant and I have to say... it´s not one of the best. His legs are too short, his trunk is too long and his body is too long and chubby scratch scratch But i like him somehow. His head and face is perfect!!!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

But I really love new Papo asian elephant. I only had to repaint his tusks... they were too white :)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

_________________
my website [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
my outside photos [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]


Last edited by MartinH on Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://my photos http://dixieboy.rajce.idnes.cz/
skysthelimit

avatar

Country/State : Serbia
Age : 40
Joined : 2010-12-01
Posts : 4078

PostSubject: Re: asian elephants    Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:33 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Here are some models that IMHO have less flaws than the CollectA, but maybe it is also very subjective Wink


MARX


Well, this gorgeous animals isn't quite typical Marx Wink Very Happy

_________________
Robert
Back to top Go down
http://skysthelimitamstaff.com/
MartinH
Moderator
avatar

Country/State : Czech Republic
Age : 35
Joined : 2010-08-24
Posts : 2932

PostSubject: Re: asian elephants    Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:40 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Here are some models that IMHO have less flaws than the CollectA, but maybe it is also very subjective Wink


MARX


Well, this gorgeous animals isn't quite typical Marx Wink Very Happy
I loove that MARX elephant! Shocked

_________________
my website [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
my outside photos [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
http://my photos http://dixieboy.rajce.idnes.cz/
SUSANNE
Admin
avatar

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.
Age : 65
Joined : 2010-09-30
Posts : 31091

PostSubject: Re: asian elephants    Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:56 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Here are some models that IMHO have less flaws than the CollectA, but maybe it is also very subjective Wink


MARX


Well, this gorgeous animals isn't quite typical Marx Wink Very Happy
I loove that MARX elephant! Shocked

Me too Shocked bounce cheers

Can`t we find a dozen or so, I am sure lots of us would like one Very Happy drunken Wink geek

_________________
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] SUSANNE   [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
http://dyr-og-dimser.dk
bojan



Country/State : slovenia
Age : 40
Joined : 2012-01-04
Posts : 1020

PostSubject: Re: asian elephants    Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:01 pm

Kiki & Martin, I like the way you present your figurines on photos. Very good job, guys! cheers

_________________
Bojan
Back to top Go down
skysthelimit

avatar

Country/State : Serbia
Age : 40
Joined : 2010-12-01
Posts : 4078

PostSubject: Re: asian elephants    Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:04 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:

I loove that MARX elephant! Shocked
It's understandable, since it's a repaint Very Happy

_________________
Robert
Back to top Go down
http://skysthelimitamstaff.com/
Kikimalou
Admin
avatar

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE
Age : 53
Joined : 2010-04-01
Posts : 15001

PostSubject: Re: asian elephants    Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:59 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Here are some models that IMHO have less flaws than the CollectA, but maybe it is also very subjective Wink

MARX

Well, this gorgeous animals isn't quite typical Marx Wink Very Happy

The Color is not MARX but the shape yes... I wasn't talking about the colors Wink Laughing

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Kiki & Martin, I like the way you present your figurines on photos. Very good job, guys! cheers

Thank you Bojan Very Happy

_________________
Christophe
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
MartinH
Moderator
avatar

Country/State : Czech Republic
Age : 35
Joined : 2010-08-24
Posts : 2932

PostSubject: Re: asian elephants    Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:29 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Kiki & Martin, I like the way you present your figurines on photos. Very good job, guys! cheers
Thank you :)

_________________
my website [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
my outside photos [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
http://my photos http://dixieboy.rajce.idnes.cz/
MartinH
Moderator
avatar

Country/State : Czech Republic
Age : 35
Joined : 2010-08-24
Posts : 2932

PostSubject: Re: asian elephants    Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:31 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:

I loove that MARX elephant! Shocked
It's understandable, since it's a repaint Very Happy
It´s not just about repaint... pose and sculp is amazing! cheers

_________________
my website [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
my outside photos [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
http://my photos http://dixieboy.rajce.idnes.cz/
lucky luke

avatar

Country/State : FRANCE Saint-Louis
Age : 55
Joined : 2010-07-17
Posts : 3694

PostSubject: Re: asian elephants    Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:50 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Kiki & Martin, I like the way you present your figurines on photos. Very good job, guys! cheers

cheers cheers cheers Very Happy
Back to top Go down
skysthelimit

avatar

Country/State : Serbia
Age : 40
Joined : 2010-12-01
Posts : 4078

PostSubject: Re: asian elephants    Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:52 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:

It´s not just about repaint... pose and sculp is amazing! cheers
Yes it is Martin, I was joking Wink

_________________
Robert
Back to top Go down
http://skysthelimitamstaff.com/
ken yeo

avatar

Country/State : Singapore
Age : 47
Joined : 2010-04-05
Posts : 5413

PostSubject: Re: asian elephants    Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:00 am

The details is not bad! The only things that I don't like the leg is short & make the head a bit smaller!

_________________
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
http://www.collectorsquest.com/collector/ken-yeo
baltimore zoo



Joined : 2010-06-30
Posts : 1650

PostSubject: Baltimore zoo   Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:26 am

Safari Wildlife Wonders is my favorite!!!!!!!!
I also like their smaller version, as well as my Britain's Asian(I have the second version). I would still like to get the original(Pictured)!
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
avatar

Country/State : Portugal
Age : 43
Joined : 2010-08-20
Posts : 22071

PostSubject: Re: asian elephants    Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:22 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Congrats! Won't you show them? bounce
Could you tell us what you don't like in CollectA Asian elephant?
It is not perfect but it is the only Asian without important flaws I know! elephant

It's funny how we can perceive a model and how we appreciate it. Even the way we are thinking about an animal is more subjective than I usually think.

I don't like this model because I think it has too much flaws for me. head, body and legs have wrong proportions. head is too big, body is too long and legs are too short and too bulky for me. A very strange melting for me.

I would really like to understand why you think this model has less flaws ?

Of course Christophe, but be patient with me! Wink
First about proportions! When I talk about flaws I'm not refering to proportions. Of course the figure is not good in this point. But the body is not long and the head is not as large as it looks. Sometimes a little wrong measurement makes everything looks weird! And most of people here is right, the legs are very short. It not only makes them look chubby but also makes the body looks longer.
What I mean is that when a figure is higher, it will look shorter even when we don't change it in length! Also with longer legs the head would be farer from the floor and look smaller. The same for trunk and tail.
One "flaw" in proportions can solve many other "flaws". We only have to check correctly what is wrong.
But see how ilusive can be it. In Martin's picture, showing the other side of the figure with the legs closer, the body looks shorter and surely it is the same size! Laughing


_________________
~ Rogério [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
avatar

Country/State : Portugal
Age : 43
Joined : 2010-08-20
Posts : 22071

PostSubject: Re: asian elephants    Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:30 am

Now why I'm saying that the CollectA figure is the Asian elephant flaws I know considering that I only know Schleich, CollectA and Papo elephants!
Better explain using some differences between African and Asian elephants!
I'll not talk about small ears and shape of the back because it is relatively correct in almost all figures.
The foread of African elephants is very simple while the forehead of an Asian elephant is a little complex!
It is true that the two humps in the top of the head is present in all replicas but the little humped structures of the forehead, and the smashed parte above the trunk usually is not worked in other figures as it is in CollectA's
In the 2nd picture, even very bad, you can see that the trunk has the rings widely placed as in Asians and that the tusks are not thick as in some you're showing, mainly the Marx! Laughing The picture not shows it very well but you can see that the tusks are not solide white as in some of yours but have a Ivory colouring very beautiful! elephant
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Forehead and tusk of CollectA Asian elephant

I know the retired Asian elephant is a poor figure but I'll use as comparison to explain some more things once I don't have another! Sad
First the tail. Asian elephants have relatively long and narrow tails as you see in CollectA's (left) and not thick and short as you see in Schleich's (right). In the Bullyland we see a tail some similar to Schleich's and the belly of the Bully looks more like an African!
I mean that a belly diagonally dropped towards the back legs are more characteristic of Africans and we are seeing it in most of them.
At the top right is a close up of the CollectA's trunk! You can see clearly a single finger in the tip of the trunk, in opposition to African's that have 2 fingers! I can see it in some here posted but for example, in Britains it is not clear.
Now see the back paws in the picture! The left one is the CollectA and the right is Schleich! Are CollectA's paws as so wide as it looks? Well, surely not in that comparison!
But more important! Asians, usually and although there are some rare exceptions, have 5 nails in each front paw and 4 in each back paw. I cannot check it in these pictures but the Papo I can warrant is wrong!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Now look at these details! What a Face Asian elephants have a lower maxila of a different shape of Africans! Longer , pointed and dropped when the mouth is opened! Perfect in CollectA's and not in all here posted!
Another detail important is that elephant molars are diamond shaped in Africans and heavily compressed in Asian! Isn't it tremendous this detail in CollectA's figure?
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Lower maxila and mouth of the CollectA Asian elephant! elephant

I have some more to add but it is hard to explain when the English and pictures are not the best and also because it goes very long! affraid

_________________
~ Rogério [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
avatar

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE
Age : 53
Joined : 2010-04-01
Posts : 15001

PostSubject: Re: asian elephants    Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:48 am

Wink Rogério, you explained your points very well, at least for a French macaque who learn the same English Laughing

I better understand now. Very Happy

And I will answer of course monkey

Mouth and tusks : You are right, a very good point cheers ... About the MARX, the colour is ivory, I know it for sure Wink The COLLECTA mouth is the very best I ever seen on a model.

Forehead ; Beautiful forehead indeed Cool

Trunk : Ok, the detail of the single finger is very easy to see, but at least both PAPO, BULLYLAND, MARX have it. But the finger is not the only point of the trunk, The COLLECTA trunk proportions are wrong, like a hoover tube... Nearly as wide at the end as at the root. The other models, and real Asian elephants, have this kind of trunk.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Belly : I'm sorry but It seems the COLLECTA has a barrel not a belly. Asian elephant have also belly diagonally dropped towards the back legs, less than African but they have. In fact it is not the belly but the way it is attached to the legs.

Flaw and proportion : How to avoid the subject ? confused
For me it is the most important in a figurine, I can understand and accept some minor flaws... But no, IMHO a false shape is the flaw number one for me, even a crippling flaw What a Face
I don't like the SCHLEICH elephants, both asian and African, both older or 2012 ones. They have fine textures, fine paintings, very fine finish but the proportions are very bad, even worse in the 2012 ones (except the calves Wink ). This kind of details kill a model for me, the flaw is so big I can't forget it.
The COLLECTA has got less proportion flaws than SCHLEICH, but t is easy. Rolling Eyes But It has too much !
When you look at your models, on your shelves, the first thing you are seeing is the proportions, not the details, that's why it is so crucial.
PAPO forelegs nails are a big shame, but I don't see it on the shelf. White tusks are easy to change, look at Martin's model. But how to change an odd trunk, a barrel body and too short legs ?
scratch Photoshop ! cheers
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

At least it is better like that, but I can't have it on shelf... Sad

_________________
Christophe
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
avatar

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.
Age : 65
Joined : 2010-09-30
Posts : 31091

PostSubject: Re: asian elephants    Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:17 am

Flaws or not... I never realised all these details about elefants Shocked

Roger, your description and illustrations are wonderful, I learned a lot this morning, so it is a good day for me study elephant cheers

I think the CollectA Asian elefant just entered my wishlis, - I HAVE to see the details you describe Very Happy

I am a silly collector, I usually don`t look so much at accuracy or detail, I just think " I like that one", and don`t know why Rolling Eyes geek

Thankyou Roger and Christophe for your great contributions sunny flower

_________________
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] SUSANNE   [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
http://dyr-og-dimser.dk
Ana

avatar

Country/State : come from Poland now live in The Netherlands
Age : 30
Joined : 2010-04-01
Posts : 9659

PostSubject: Re: asian elephants    Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:14 pm

Haha, thank You Kiki and Rogerio for morning lesson of zoology!!! cheers Hooray for our experts! sunny sunny sunny
elephant elephant elephant elephant elephant elephant
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
But how to change an odd trunk, a barrel body and too short legs ?
scratch Photoshop ! cheers
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

At least it is better like that, but I can't have it on shelf... Sad

Well, Christophe, I think in further future I may try to customize CollectA elephant following Your photoshop work Wink sunny sunny
How to do it? I think it's matter of several hours Laughing But we will see, if I decide to do, I will try to post photos of the progress so anybody who wants can do the same Very Happy
Boys end girls prepare saw, wires, files, epoxy clay, brushes and acrylic paints cheers Laughing drunken
elephant elephant elephant elephant elephant elephant
Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
SUSANNE
Admin
avatar

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.
Age : 65
Joined : 2010-09-30
Posts : 31091

PostSubject: Re: asian elephants    Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:13 pm

elephant I can`t wait to see it, Ana bounce bounce cheers elephant

_________________
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] SUSANNE   [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
http://dyr-og-dimser.dk
Ana

avatar

Country/State : come from Poland now live in The Netherlands
Age : 30
Joined : 2010-04-01
Posts : 9659

PostSubject: Re: asian elephants    Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:00 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
elephant I can`t wait to see it, Ana bounce bounce cheers elephant
Haha, I must get this elephant first. And then: yay, I can't wait to do it too bounce bounce bounce Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
lucky luke

avatar

Country/State : FRANCE Saint-Louis
Age : 55
Joined : 2010-07-17
Posts : 3694

PostSubject: Re: asian elephants    Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:14 pm

Congratulations christophe, I totally agree with you, Now it has class this elephant! cheers sunny
Thank you for your comments Christopher, and Rogerio study king monkey
Anna and curious to see your work! queen Very Happy Wink
Back to top Go down
Vivien

avatar

Country/State : Germany
Age : 19
Joined : 2011-10-10
Posts : 1993

PostSubject: Re: asian elephants    Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:27 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:

I am a silly collector, I usually don`t look so much at accuracy or detail, I just think " I like that one", and don`t know why Rolling Eyes geek
It's the same with me! pale Rolling Eyes I think this one will be my first asian elephant. cheers cheers

_________________
Vivien
Back to top Go down
ken yeo

avatar

Country/State : Singapore
Age : 47
Joined : 2010-04-05
Posts : 5413

PostSubject: Re: asian elephants    Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:10 pm

Maybe collecta should re-made the indian elephant with longer leg.

_________________
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
http://www.collectorsquest.com/collector/ken-yeo
Roger
Admin
avatar

Country/State : Portugal
Age : 43
Joined : 2010-08-20
Posts : 22071

PostSubject: Re: asian elephants    Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:04 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Wink Rogério, you explained your points very well, at least for a French macaque who learn the same English Laughing

I better understand now. Very Happy

And I will answer of course monkey

Mouth and tusks : You are right, a very good point cheers ... About the MARX, the colour is ivory, I know it for sure Wink The COLLECTA mouth is the very best I ever seen on a model.

Forehead ; Beautiful forehead indeed Cool

Trunk : Ok, the detail of the single finger is very easy to see, but at least both PAPO, BULLYLAND, MARX have it. But the finger is not the only point of the trunk, The COLLECTA trunk proportions are wrong, like a hoover tube... Nearly as wide at the end as at the root. The other models, and real Asian elephants, have this kind of trunk.
Belly : I'm sorry but It seems the COLLECTA has a barrel not a belly. Asian elephant have also belly diagonally dropped towards the back legs, less than African but they have. In fact it is not the belly but the way it is attached to the legs.

Flaw and proportion : How to avoid the subject ? confused
For me it is the most important in a figurine, I can understand and accept some minor flaws... But no, IMHO a false shape is the flaw number one for me, even a crippling flaw What a Face
I don't like the SCHLEICH elephants, both asian and African, both older or 2012 ones. They have fine textures, fine paintings, very fine finish but the proportions are very bad, even worse in the 2012 ones (except the calves Wink ). This kind of details kill a model for me, the flaw is so big I can't forget it.
The COLLECTA has got less proportion flaws than SCHLEICH, but t is easy. Rolling Eyes But It has too much !
When you look at your models, on your shelves, the first thing you are seeing is the proportions, not the details, that's why it is so crucial.
PAPO forelegs nails are a big shame, but I don't see it on the shelf. White tusks are easy to change, look at Martin's model. But how to change an odd trunk, a barrel body and too short legs ?
scratch Photoshop ! cheers

At least it is better like that, but I can't have it on shelf... Sad

Christophe, I'm glad I was able to show you some very nice points of this figure! As I told previously I also don't like the proportions but even it is also very important for me I could not ignore so many interesting details and unless that the brand studied the characteristics of the species even the brand was not able to give a great shape to the figure! The trunk also agree but you can see barrel belies, straight, dropped or slightly oblique but never as it happens with African elephants as you also refered! :)
I believe that in your herd this is a poor figure but not in mine! But seeing pictures there are some that you showed that are not more interesting than the CollectA, unless in my oppinion!
Another point is that I love to put a figure in my hands, to see it from all angles, to touch it, feel the weight, the smell, texture, if the tail is bendable :lol , etc., etc. I also can't see the terrific mouth of this figure when it is only in a shelf so here there's a big point of difference in our way of appreciating a figure! The shelf is not the end! :)
Congrats for your photoshop, it looks terrific! monkey cheers

_________________
~ Rogério [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
avatar

Country/State : Portugal
Age : 43
Joined : 2010-08-20
Posts : 22071

PostSubject: Re: asian elephants    Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:11 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:

I am a silly collector, I usually don`t look so much at accuracy or detail, I just think " I like that one", and don`t know why Rolling Eyes geek
It's the same with me! pale Rolling Eyes I think this one will be my first asian elephant. cheers cheers

There's nothing silly in it! The most important is the joy that a figure can give us being it accurate or not! :) flower cat
I have very inaccurate figures in my collection and I love them! :)

_________________
~ Rogério [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
avatar

Country/State : Portugal
Age : 43
Joined : 2010-08-20
Posts : 22071

PostSubject: Re: asian elephants    Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:13 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Haha, thank You Kiki and Rogerio for morning lesson of zoology!!! cheers Hooray for our experts! sunny sunny sunny
elephant elephant elephant elephant elephant elephant
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
But how to change an odd trunk, a barrel body and too short legs ?
scratch Photoshop ! cheers

At least it is better like that, but I can't have it on shelf... Sad

Well, Christophe, I think in further future I may try to customize CollectA elephant following Your photoshop work Wink sunny sunny
How to do it? I think it's matter of several hours Laughing But we will see, if I decide to do, I will try to post photos of the progress so anybody who wants can do the same Very Happy
Boys end girls prepare saw, wires, files, epoxy clay, brushes and acrylic paints cheers Laughing drunken
elephant elephant elephant elephant elephant elephant

...and crazy are macaques and crocodiles??? Laughing Wink

_________________
~ Rogério [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
avatar

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE
Age : 53
Joined : 2010-04-01
Posts : 15001

PostSubject: Re: asian elephants    Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:44 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:

I am a silly collector, I usually don`t look so much at accuracy or detail, I just think " I like that one", and don`t know why Rolling Eyes geek
It's the same with me! pale Rolling Eyes I think this one will be my first asian elephant. cheers cheers

There's nothing silly in it! The most important is the joy that a figure can give us being it accurate or not! :) flower cat
I have very inaccurate figures in my collection and I love them! :)

I agree 100% Very Happy Collecting is a love affair I love you

And discussing about a model on STS is also a love affair Wink Laughing Laughing monkey

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:

Christophe, I'm glad I was able to show you some very nice points of this figure! As I told previously I also don't like the proportions but even it is also very important for me I could not ignore so many interesting details and unless that the brand studied the characteristics of the species even the brand was not able to give a great shape to the figure! The trunk also agree but you can see barrel belies, straight, dropped or slightly oblique but never as it happens with African elephants as you also refered! :)
I believe that in your herd this is a poor figure but not in mine! But seeing pictures there are some that you showed that are not more interesting than the CollectA, unless in my opinion!

Rogério, I think it is one of the major mainstay of STS forum life : We are more clever, more cultured all together scratch study cheers And more happy I guess Wink

About the belly, the problem is that it has the wrong barrel shape : Too long or if you prefer not enough broad. It has a bit something of a sausage.

About the elephants I showed in this topic, I chose them to explain the proportion problem.
But, nevertheless, I still think they are all at least as interesting as the COLLECTA even if I didn't knew the mouth details Wink
Which ones are you thinking about ?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:

Another point is that I love to put a figure in my hands, to see it from all angles, to touch it, feel the weight, the smell, texture, if the tail is bendable :lol , etc., etc. I also can't see the terrific mouth of this figure when it is only in a shelf so here there's a big point of difference in our way of appreciating a figure! The shelf is not the end! :)
Congrats for your photoshop, it looks terrific! monkey cheers

I understand you love to put a figure in your hand. Having a "tête-à-tête" with a model is the best way to discover and enjoy it.
But I can't buy a COLLECTA in a shop here, I must buy it online... And choose among all the models the ones I will buy. When you look at the pics, this elephant is not very appealing because the thing you see is : Wrong proportions What a Face .
There are models I buy when I see them for real, I would never think buying them online.

_________________
Christophe
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
baltimore zoo



Joined : 2010-06-30
Posts : 1650

PostSubject: Baltimore zoo   Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:49 am

The thing that really bothers me the most with Asian elephant figures is the tusk situation. The recent Papo Asian elephant with calf is supposed to be a female, therefore, it shouldn't have visible tusks! I wish they would have made a female more like Safari ltd did.
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
avatar

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.
Age : 65
Joined : 2010-09-30
Posts : 31091

PostSubject: Re: asian elephants    Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:12 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
The thing that really bothers me the most with Asian elephant figures is the tusk situation. The recent Papo Asian elephant with calf is supposed to be a female, therefore, it shouldn't have visible tusks! I wish they would have made a female more like Safari ltd did.

Yes ! That is a VERY, very serious mistake What a Face

_________________
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] SUSANNE   [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
http://dyr-og-dimser.dk
Roger
Admin
avatar

Country/State : Portugal
Age : 43
Joined : 2010-08-20
Posts : 22071

PostSubject: Re: asian elephants    Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:30 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:

Christophe, I'm glad I was able to show you some very nice points of this figure! As I told previously I also don't like the proportions but even it is also very important for me I could not ignore so many interesting details and unless that the brand studied the characteristics of the species even the brand was not able to give a great shape to the figure! The trunk also agree but you can see barrel belies, straight, dropped or slightly oblique but never as it happens with African elephants as you also refered! :)
I believe that in your herd this is a poor figure but not in mine! But seeing pictures there are some that you showed that are not more interesting than the CollectA, unless in my opinion!

Rogério, I think it is one of the major mainstay of STS forum life : We are more clever, more cultured all together scratch study cheers And more happy I guess Wink

About the belly, the problem is that it has the wrong barrel shape : Too long or if you prefer not enough broad. It has a bit something of a sausage.

About the elephants I showed in this topic, I chose them to explain the proportion problem.
But, nevertheless, I still think they are all at least as interesting as the COLLECTA even if I didn't knew the mouth details Wink
Which ones are you thinking about ?


Christophe! I already got the belly idea, I guess! Laughing It is almost shapeless in the flanks showing very straight lines when seeing from above! :)
Which ones I think are not better? Mainly Colorata and Marx. Papo and Bullyland are of a similar quality but I'm judging pictures and all details I can see, not proportions! :)
I also am not saying that I don't like them! elephant
I agree that it is a joy to discuss about a figure and also an oportunity to learn a little more about wild life that is a subject that we love! I love you :)

_________________
~ Rogério [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
avatar

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE
Age : 53
Joined : 2010-04-01
Posts : 15001

PostSubject: Re: asian elephants    Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:12 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Christophe! I already got the belly idea, I guess! Laughing It is almost shapeless in the flanks showing very straight lines when seeing from above! :)
Which ones I think are not better? Mainly Colorata and Marx. Papo and Bullyland are of a similar quality but I'm judging pictures and all details I can see, not proportions! :)
I also am not saying that I don't like them! elephant
I agree that it is a joy to discuss about a figure and also an oportunity to learn a little more about wild life that is a subject that we love! I love you :)

I said I chose the models shown because of the right proportions... But it is not true ! I chose them because I think they are good elephant models.

I mean the details are not the most important thing on a model, at least for me Wink , even the proportions are not the most important... At least not only the proportions. A "Top" model for me is able to sparkle at your eyes, saying " I'm an Asian elephant". You can feel it immediately and without doubts.
Good details are a "scientific" job, proportions are an engineer task, but to make a goos model, you need first a Nature artist which have the talent to give life to clay, to capture how the animal moves, all the subtle "details" that bring life to a model. It is the BIG task, the most uneasy and it is often the Achilles' heel of figurines.

PAPO tigers and lioness have that.
BF, BRITAINS and SAFARI Ltd Indian rhinos have that.
From 1900's to nowadays, the best models have that.

Others are very good, excellent... They look at least like the animal they describe.
The COLORATA and MARX models look like elephants.
The MARX is from 1950's, made from two hollowcast plastic parts joined together. No teeth in the open mouth, too big tusks, but very clever skin patterns and the pose of an angry or afraid elephant. Nothing is odd.
The COLORATA is small, very small, no patterns and no teeth, not a very fine color but it is a walking elephant, like the old BRITAINS, everything is natural.

And some, like the COLLECTA Asian elephant, have something odd, unnatural. That's maybe why we are discussing about it. A good detail can enjoy and be very interesting but it can't save from this odd feeling.


_________________
Christophe
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
skysthelimit

avatar

Country/State : Serbia
Age : 40
Joined : 2010-12-01
Posts : 4078

PostSubject: Re: asian elephants    Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:41 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:

PAPO tigers and lioness have that.
BF, BRITAINS and SAFARI Ltd Indian rhinos have that.
From 1900's to nowadays, the best models have that.



That's the feeling I have about Kitan Club Elephant, I just wish it's bigger Sad

_________________
Robert
Back to top Go down
http://skysthelimitamstaff.com/
ken yeo

avatar

Country/State : Singapore
Age : 47
Joined : 2010-04-05
Posts : 5413

PostSubject: Re: asian elephants    Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:42 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:


The COLORATA is small, very small, no patterns and no teeth, not a very fine color but it is a walking elephant, like the old BRITAINS, everything is natural.

And some, like the COLLECTA Asian elephant, have something odd, unnatural. That's maybe why we are discussing about it. A good detail can enjoy and be very interesting but it can't save from this odd feeling.


Very less details. But at least it look like an elephant. I own the Schleich elephants too and now thinking of get rid of them. Due to the proportion too!

_________________
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
http://www.collectorsquest.com/collector/ken-yeo
baltimore zoo



Joined : 2010-06-30
Posts : 1650

PostSubject: Baltimore zoo   Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:14 am

Yeah, of course when it comes to "relative proportion", I understand, that these companies now UNFORTUNATELY won't do it like the good ole Britains days, so I would compromise if they just made their elephants just a tad bigger. Because would it really hurt if Papo made their Asian elephant 6" tall and 7 3/4" long, instead of 3.75" tall and 6.25" long? Not that much bigger, right?
And if Safari made their Charging Bull African Elephant 6 1/2 " tall and 8 1/2 " long, instead of 4 1/2" tall and 8" long. Again, not that much bigger?
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
avatar

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE
Age : 53
Joined : 2010-04-01
Posts : 15001

PostSubject: Re: asian elephants    Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:05 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Yeah, of course when it comes to "relative proportion", I understand, that these companies now UNFORTUNATELY won't do it like the good ole Britains days, so I would compromise if they just made their elephants just a tad bigger. Because would it really hurt if Papo made their Asian elephant 6" tall and 7 3/4" long, instead of 3.75" tall and 6.25" long? Not that much bigger, right?
And if Safari made their Charging Bull African Elephant 6 1/2 " tall and 8 1/2 " long, instead of 4 1/2" tall and 8" long. Again, not that much bigger?

Laughing probably they hate you Laughing

_________________
Christophe
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Ana

avatar

Country/State : come from Poland now live in The Netherlands
Age : 30
Joined : 2010-04-01
Posts : 9659

PostSubject: Re: asian elephants    Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:13 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Haha, thank You Kiki and Rogerio for morning lesson of zoology!!! cheers Hooray for our experts! sunny sunny sunny
elephant elephant elephant elephant elephant elephant
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
But how to change an odd trunk, a barrel body and too short legs ?
scratch Photoshop ! cheers

At least it is better like that, but I can't have it on shelf... Sad

Well, Christophe, I think in further future I may try to customize CollectA elephant following Your photoshop work Wink sunny sunny
How to do it? I think it's matter of several hours Laughing But we will see, if I decide to do, I will try to post photos of the progress so anybody who wants can do the same Very Happy
Boys end girls prepare saw, wires, files, epoxy clay, brushes and acrylic paints cheers Laughing drunken
elephant elephant elephant elephant elephant elephant

...and crazy are macaques and crocodiles??? Laughing Wink


Well, maybe cookie-anteaters are also little bit crazy Very Happy Laughing
I hope so Wink bounce
Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
baltimore zoo



Joined : 2010-06-30
Posts : 1650

PostSubject: Baltimore zoo   Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:32 pm

K,
So I just want to why? My dimensions I suggested are not that much bigger, so why not?
I mean, Safari made last years Indian rhino(Definitely one of my favorite figures!) 3" tall and 4.75" long, smaller than the same assortment's lion figure which is 3.25" tall and 5.5" long. Why couldn't they have made that gorgeous rhino 4" tall and 6" long? Not that much bigger.
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
avatar

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE
Age : 53
Joined : 2010-04-01
Posts : 15001

PostSubject: Re: asian elephants    Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:15 pm

I was just kidding Balti, nothing more than kidding. Wink Very Happy

You are right, they could make bigger elephants and rhinos, or at least smaller tigers and lions. And it would be better to have a nearly in scale brand just like BRITAINS did before.

But I don't think modern brands will do such thing now...

_________________
Christophe
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
avatar

Country/State : Portugal
Age : 43
Joined : 2010-08-20
Posts : 22071

PostSubject: Re: asian elephants    Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:46 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:


The COLORATA is small, very small, no patterns and no teeth, not a very fine color but it is a walking elephant, like the old BRITAINS, everything is natural.

And some, like the COLLECTA Asian elephant, have something odd, unnatural. That's maybe why we are discussing about it. A good detail can enjoy and be very interesting but it can't save from this odd feeling.


Christophe, everything you are saying is correct but I never told that the CollectA Asian was an excelent figure as Britains rhinos or Papo cats! I only started this topic asking why a CollectA Asian elephant is a disappointment to someone that own Schleich elephants, for example!
Also as you understand it is not as bad for me as it is for you. One detail doesn't save a figure but there are lot of nice details and I showed it in previous pages!
I really don't like Marx elephant but I'm glad you love him! He is in the perfect house! elephant
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:

Very less details. But at least it look like an elephant. I own the Schleich elephants too and now thinking of get rid of them. Due to the proportion too!

Exactly the same with me. I don't know what to do with my Schleich elephants, kids already have it and they are heavy to trade! affraid Fortunately my wife loves them as house decoration! Laughing

_________________
~ Rogério [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
avatar

Country/State : Portugal
Age : 43
Joined : 2010-08-20
Posts : 22071

PostSubject: Re: asian elephants    Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:48 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Haha, thank You Kiki and Rogerio for morning lesson of zoology!!! cheers Hooray for our experts! sunny sunny sunny
elephant elephant elephant elephant elephant elephant
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
But how to change an odd trunk, a barrel body and too short legs ?
scratch Photoshop ! cheers

At least it is better like that, but I can't have it on shelf... Sad

Well, Christophe, I think in further future I may try to customize CollectA elephant following Your photoshop work Wink sunny sunny
How to do it? I think it's matter of several hours Laughing But we will see, if I decide to do, I will try to post photos of the progress so anybody who wants can do the same Very Happy
Boys end girls prepare saw, wires, files, epoxy clay, brushes and acrylic paints cheers Laughing drunken
elephant elephant elephant elephant elephant elephant

...and crazy are macaques and crocodiles??? Laughing Wink


Well, maybe cookie-anteaters are also little bit crazy Very Happy Laughing
I hope so Wink bounce

Laughing Laughing Yes, you have a long and crazy curriculum vitae! flower

_________________
~ Rogério [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
avatar

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE
Age : 53
Joined : 2010-04-01
Posts : 15001

PostSubject: Re: asian elephants    Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:10 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:

Christophe, everything you are saying is correct but I never told that the CollectA Asian was an excelent figure as Britains rhinos or Papo cats! I only started this topic asking why a CollectA Asian elephant is a disappointment to someone that own Schleich elephants, for example!
Also as you understand it is not as bad for me as it is for you. One detail doesn't save a figure but there are lot of nice details and I showed it in previous pages!
I really don't like Marx elephant but I'm glad you love him! He is in the perfect house! elephant

Rogério, I never said you said that the CollectA Asian was an excelent figure as Britains rhinos or Papo cats! Wink

I only followed my own ideas and shared them on STS. This kind of things are often help me thinking about models, collections and collectors...

At the beginning of this topic, I thought the most important was the proportion in a model... I don't think so now, as I said bringing some animal soul is more important and need an artist to do so. That's why I talked about PAPO cats and BRITAINS( and SAFARI and BF Wink ) rhinos.

I'm getting older everyday scratch I began to think aloud and now I do it on STS geek Crazy old French macaque indeed Laughing

At least, this topic and this forum help me a lot to think about what I do with small pieces of PVC, lead or composition... And I hope I help others too drunken

You are right, at least for me The COLLECTA is not worse than the SCHLEICH...

But I also collect worse models myself as you know and I guess the ACEDO one could be at the first place on a podium Laughing

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

_________________
Christophe
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
baltimore zoo



Joined : 2010-06-30
Posts : 1650

PostSubject: Baltimore zoo   Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:59 am

K,
I no. But seriously, I'd be happy if they made them(The larger animals) just a little larger. Plus, I look at so many wonderful collections on this forum form our dedicated collectors, and when I see animal figures all displayed on a shelf and the gazelle almost as large as a hippo, I think to myself, I wish they(Companies) would consider just working on some "relative proportion".
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: asian elephants    

Back to top Go down
 
asian elephants
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next
 Similar topics
-
» The Crown Lynn 153 shape Elephants
» scale cattle egrets for schleich elephants
» For Robert : The PAPO's african elephants
» Scale Model Elephants
» Cached: White Elephants (Robert Sagel)

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
STS Forum  :: Animal toy figures reviews and discussions :: Major brands :: CollectA-
Jump to: