Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy animal WikiToy animal Wiki  HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Dictionary  Animal Toy forum  
Very Happy The STS 2017 Logo contest is already open HERE Very Happy

Share | 

asian elephants

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Ana

Country/State : come from Poland now live in The Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: asian elephants    Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:14 pm

Haha, thank You Kiki and Rogerio for morning lesson of zoology!!! cheers Hooray for our experts! sunny sunny sunny
elephant elephant elephant elephant elephant elephant
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
But how to change an odd trunk, a barrel body and too short legs ?
scratch Photoshop ! cheers
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

At least it is better like that, but I can't have it on shelf... Sad

Well, Christophe, I think in further future I may try to customize CollectA elephant following Your photoshop work Wink sunny sunny
How to do it? I think it's matter of several hours Laughing But we will see, if I decide to do, I will try to post photos of the progress so anybody who wants can do the same Very Happy
Boys end girls prepare saw, wires, files, epoxy clay, brushes and acrylic paints cheers Laughing drunken
Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
SUSANNE
Admin

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: asian elephants    Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:13 pm

elephant I can`t wait to see it, Ana bounce bounce cheers elephant

Ana

PostSubject: Re: asian elephants    Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:00 pm

elephant I can`t wait to see it, Ana bounce bounce cheers elephant
Haha, I must get this elephant first. And then: yay, I can't wait to do it too bounce bounce bounce Very Happy
Back to top Go down
lucky luke

Country/State : FRANCE Saint-Louis

PostSubject: Re: asian elephants    Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:14 pm

Congratulations christophe, I totally agree with you, Now it has class this elephant! cheers sunny
Thank you for your comments Christopher, and Rogerio study king monkey
Anna and curious to see your work! queen Very Happy Wink
Back to top Go down
Vivien

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: asian elephants    Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:27 pm

I am a silly collector, I usually don`t look so much at accuracy or detail, I just think " I like that one", and don`t know why Rolling Eyes geek
It's the same with me! pale Rolling Eyes I think this one will be my first asian elephant. cheers cheers

Country/State : Singapore

PostSubject: Re: asian elephants    Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:10 pm

Maybe collecta should re-made the indian elephant with longer leg.

Roger
Admin

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: asian elephants    Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:04 am

Wink Rogério, you explained your points very well, at least for a French macaque who learn the same English Laughing

I better understand now. Very Happy

And I will answer of course monkey

Mouth and tusks : You are right, a very good point cheers ... About the MARX, the colour is ivory, I know it for sure Wink The COLLECTA mouth is the very best I ever seen on a model.

Forehead ; Beautiful forehead indeed Cool

Trunk : Ok, the detail of the single finger is very easy to see, but at least both PAPO, BULLYLAND, MARX have it. But the finger is not the only point of the trunk, The COLLECTA trunk proportions are wrong, like a hoover tube... Nearly as wide at the end as at the root. The other models, and real Asian elephants, have this kind of trunk.
Belly : I'm sorry but It seems the COLLECTA has a barrel not a belly. Asian elephant have also belly diagonally dropped towards the back legs, less than African but they have. In fact it is not the belly but the way it is attached to the legs.

Flaw and proportion : How to avoid the subject ? confused
For me it is the most important in a figurine, I can understand and accept some minor flaws... But no, IMHO a false shape is the flaw number one for me, even a crippling flaw What a Face
I don't like the SCHLEICH elephants, both asian and African, both older or 2012 ones. They have fine textures, fine paintings, very fine finish but the proportions are very bad, even worse in the 2012 ones (except the calves Wink ). This kind of details kill a model for me, the flaw is so big I can't forget it.
The COLLECTA has got less proportion flaws than SCHLEICH, but t is easy. Rolling Eyes But It has too much !
When you look at your models, on your shelves, the first thing you are seeing is the proportions, not the details, that's why it is so crucial.
PAPO forelegs nails are a big shame, but I don't see it on the shelf. White tusks are easy to change, look at Martin's model. But how to change an odd trunk, a barrel body and too short legs ?

Christophe, I'm glad I was able to show you some very nice points of this figure! As I told previously I also don't like the proportions but even it is also very important for me I could not ignore so many interesting details and unless that the brand studied the characteristics of the species even the brand was not able to give a great shape to the figure! The trunk also agree but you can see barrel belies, straight, dropped or slightly oblique but never as it happens with African elephants as you also refered! :)
I believe that in your herd this is a poor figure but not in mine! But seeing pictures there are some that you showed that are not more interesting than the CollectA, unless in my oppinion!
Another point is that I love to put a figure in my hands, to see it from all angles, to touch it, feel the weight, the smell, texture, if the tail is bendable :lol , etc., etc. I also can't see the terrific mouth of this figure when it is only in a shelf so here there's a big point of difference in our way of appreciating a figure! The shelf is not the end! :)
Congrats for your photoshop, it looks terrific! monkey cheers

~ Rogério [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin

PostSubject: Re: asian elephants    Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:11 am

I am a silly collector, I usually don`t look so much at accuracy or detail, I just think " I like that one", and don`t know why Rolling Eyes geek
It's the same with me! pale Rolling Eyes I think this one will be my first asian elephant. cheers cheers

There's nothing silly in it! The most important is the joy that a figure can give us being it accurate or not! :) flower cat
I have very inaccurate figures in my collection and I love them! :)

~ Rogério [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin

PostSubject: Re: asian elephants    Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:13 am

Haha, thank You Kiki and Rogerio for morning lesson of zoology!!! cheers Hooray for our experts! sunny sunny sunny

Well, Christophe, I think in further future I may try to customize CollectA elephant following Your photoshop work Wink sunny sunny
How to do it? I think it's matter of several hours Laughing But we will see, if I decide to do, I will try to post photos of the progress so anybody who wants can do the same Very Happy
Boys end girls prepare saw, wires, files, epoxy clay, brushes and acrylic paints cheers Laughing drunken

...and crazy are macaques and crocodiles??? Laughing Wink

Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: asian elephants    Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:44 am

There's nothing silly in it! The most important is the joy that a figure can give us being it accurate or not! :) flower cat
I have very inaccurate figures in my collection and I love them! :)

I agree 100% Very Happy Collecting is a love affair I love you

And discussing about a model on STS is also a love affair Wink Laughing Laughing monkey

Christophe, I'm glad I was able to show you some very nice points of this figure! As I told previously I also don't like the proportions but even it is also very important for me I could not ignore so many interesting details and unless that the brand studied the characteristics of the species even the brand was not able to give a great shape to the figure! The trunk also agree but you can see barrel belies, straight, dropped or slightly oblique but never as it happens with African elephants as you also refered! :)
I believe that in your herd this is a poor figure but not in mine! But seeing pictures there are some that you showed that are not more interesting than the CollectA, unless in my opinion!

Rogério, I think it is one of the major mainstay of STS forum life : We are more clever, more cultured all together scratch study cheers And more happy I guess Wink

About the belly, the problem is that it has the wrong barrel shape : Too long or if you prefer not enough broad. It has a bit something of a sausage.

About the elephants I showed in this topic, I chose them to explain the proportion problem.
But, nevertheless, I still think they are all at least as interesting as the COLLECTA even if I didn't knew the mouth details Wink
Which ones are you thinking about ?

Another point is that I love to put a figure in my hands, to see it from all angles, to touch it, feel the weight, the smell, texture, if the tail is bendable :lol , etc., etc. I also can't see the terrific mouth of this figure when it is only in a shelf so here there's a big point of difference in our way of appreciating a figure! The shelf is not the end! :)
Congrats for your photoshop, it looks terrific! monkey cheers

I understand you love to put a figure in your hand. Having a "tête-à-tête" with a model is the best way to discover and enjoy it.
But I can't buy a COLLECTA in a shop here, I must buy it online... And choose among all the models the ones I will buy. When you look at the pics, this elephant is not very appealing because the thing you see is : Wrong proportions What a Face .
There are models I buy when I see them for real, I would never think buying them online.

baltimore zoo

PostSubject: Baltimore zoo   Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:49 am

The thing that really bothers me the most with Asian elephant figures is the tusk situation. The recent Papo Asian elephant with calf is supposed to be a female, therefore, it shouldn't have visible tusks! I wish they would have made a female more like Safari ltd did.
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: asian elephants    Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:12 am

The thing that really bothers me the most with Asian elephant figures is the tusk situation. The recent Papo Asian elephant with calf is supposed to be a female, therefore, it shouldn't have visible tusks! I wish they would have made a female more like Safari ltd did.

Yes ! That is a VERY, very serious mistake What a Face

Roger
Admin

PostSubject: Re: asian elephants    Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:30 pm

I believe that in your herd this is a poor figure but not in mine! But seeing pictures there are some that you showed that are not more interesting than the CollectA, unless in my opinion!

Rogério, I think it is one of the major mainstay of STS forum life : We are more clever, more cultured all together scratch study cheers And more happy I guess Wink

About the belly, the problem is that it has the wrong barrel shape : Too long or if you prefer not enough broad. It has a bit something of a sausage.

About the elephants I showed in this topic, I chose them to explain the proportion problem.
But, nevertheless, I still think they are all at least as interesting as the COLLECTA even if I didn't knew the mouth details Wink
Which ones are you thinking about ?

Christophe! I already got the belly idea, I guess! Laughing It is almost shapeless in the flanks showing very straight lines when seeing from above! :)
Which ones I think are not better? Mainly Colorata and Marx. Papo and Bullyland are of a similar quality but I'm judging pictures and all details I can see, not proportions! :)
I also am not saying that I don't like them! elephant
I agree that it is a joy to discuss about a figure and also an oportunity to learn a little more about wild life that is a subject that we love! I love you :)

Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin

PostSubject: Re: asian elephants    Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:12 am

Christophe! I already got the belly idea, I guess! Laughing It is almost shapeless in the flanks showing very straight lines when seeing from above! :)
Which ones I think are not better? Mainly Colorata and Marx. Papo and Bullyland are of a similar quality but I'm judging pictures and all details I can see, not proportions! :)
I also am not saying that I don't like them! elephant
I agree that it is a joy to discuss about a figure and also an oportunity to learn a little more about wild life that is a subject that we love! I love you :)

I said I chose the models shown because of the right proportions... But it is not true ! I chose them because I think they are good elephant models.

I mean the details are not the most important thing on a model, at least for me Wink , even the proportions are not the most important... At least not only the proportions. A "Top" model for me is able to sparkle at your eyes, saying " I'm an Asian elephant". You can feel it immediately and without doubts.
Good details are a "scientific" job, proportions are an engineer task, but to make a goos model, you need first a Nature artist which have the talent to give life to clay, to capture how the animal moves, all the subtle "details" that bring life to a model. It is the BIG task, the most uneasy and it is often the Achilles' heel of figurines.

PAPO tigers and lioness have that.
BF, BRITAINS and SAFARI Ltd Indian rhinos have that.
From 1900's to nowadays, the best models have that.

Others are very good, excellent... They look at least like the animal they describe.
The COLORATA and MARX models look like elephants.
The MARX is from 1950's, made from two hollowcast plastic parts joined together. No teeth in the open mouth, too big tusks, but very clever skin patterns and the pose of an angry or afraid elephant. Nothing is odd.
The COLORATA is small, very small, no patterns and no teeth, not a very fine color but it is a walking elephant, like the old BRITAINS, everything is natural.

And some, like the COLLECTA Asian elephant, have something odd, unnatural. That's maybe why we are discussing about it. A good detail can enjoy and be very interesting but it can't save from this odd feeling.

skysthelimit

Country/State : Serbia

PostSubject: Re: asian elephants    Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:41 am

PAPO tigers and lioness have that.
BF, BRITAINS and SAFARI Ltd Indian rhinos have that.
From 1900's to nowadays, the best models have that.

That's the feeling I have about Kitan Club Elephant, I just wish it's bigger Sad

ken yeo

Country/State : Singapore

PostSubject: Re: asian elephants    Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:42 am

The COLORATA is small, very small, no patterns and no teeth, not a very fine color but it is a walking elephant, like the old BRITAINS, everything is natural.

And some, like the COLLECTA Asian elephant, have something odd, unnatural. That's maybe why we are discussing about it. A good detail can enjoy and be very interesting but it can't save from this odd feeling.

Very less details. But at least it look like an elephant. I own the Schleich elephants too and now thinking of get rid of them. Due to the proportion too!

baltimore zoo

PostSubject: Baltimore zoo   Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:14 am

Yeah, of course when it comes to "relative proportion", I understand, that these companies now UNFORTUNATELY won't do it like the good ole Britains days, so I would compromise if they just made their elephants just a tad bigger. Because would it really hurt if Papo made their Asian elephant 6" tall and 7 3/4" long, instead of 3.75" tall and 6.25" long? Not that much bigger, right?
And if Safari made their Charging Bull African Elephant 6 1/2 " tall and 8 1/2 " long, instead of 4 1/2" tall and 8" long. Again, not that much bigger?
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin

PostSubject: Re: asian elephants    Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:05 pm

Yeah, of course when it comes to "relative proportion", I understand, that these companies now UNFORTUNATELY won't do it like the good ole Britains days, so I would compromise if they just made their elephants just a tad bigger. Because would it really hurt if Papo made their Asian elephant 6" tall and 7 3/4" long, instead of 3.75" tall and 6.25" long? Not that much bigger, right?
And if Safari made their Charging Bull African Elephant 6 1/2 " tall and 8 1/2 " long, instead of 4 1/2" tall and 8" long. Again, not that much bigger?

Laughing probably they hate you Laughing

Ana

PostSubject: Re: asian elephants    Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:13 pm

Well, maybe cookie-anteaters are also little bit crazy Very Happy Laughing
I hope so Wink bounce
Back to top Go down
baltimore zoo

PostSubject: Baltimore zoo   Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:32 pm

K,
So I just want to why? My dimensions I suggested are not that much bigger, so why not?
I mean, Safari made last years Indian rhino(Definitely one of my favorite figures!) 3" tall and 4.75" long, smaller than the same assortment's lion figure which is 3.25" tall and 5.5" long. Why couldn't they have made that gorgeous rhino 4" tall and 6" long? Not that much bigger.
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin

PostSubject: Re: asian elephants    Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:15 pm

I was just kidding Balti, nothing more than kidding. Wink Very Happy

You are right, they could make bigger elephants and rhinos, or at least smaller tigers and lions. And it would be better to have a nearly in scale brand just like BRITAINS did before.

But I don't think modern brands will do such thing now...

Roger
Admin

PostSubject: Re: asian elephants    Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:46 am

Christophe, everything you are saying is correct but I never told that the CollectA Asian was an excelent figure as Britains rhinos or Papo cats! I only started this topic asking why a CollectA Asian elephant is a disappointment to someone that own Schleich elephants, for example!
Also as you understand it is not as bad for me as it is for you. One detail doesn't save a figure but there are lot of nice details and I showed it in previous pages!
I really don't like Marx elephant but I'm glad you love him! He is in the perfect house! elephant

Very less details. But at least it look like an elephant. I own the Schleich elephants too and now thinking of get rid of them. Due to the proportion too!

Exactly the same with me. I don't know what to do with my Schleich elephants, kids already have it and they are heavy to trade! affraid Fortunately my wife loves them as house decoration! Laughing

Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin

PostSubject: Re: asian elephants    Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:48 am

Well, maybe cookie-anteaters are also little bit crazy Very Happy Laughing
I hope so Wink bounce

Laughing Laughing Yes, you have a long and crazy curriculum vitae! flower

Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin

PostSubject: Re: asian elephants    Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:10 am

Christophe, everything you are saying is correct but I never told that the CollectA Asian was an excelent figure as Britains rhinos or Papo cats! I only started this topic asking why a CollectA Asian elephant is a disappointment to someone that own Schleich elephants, for example!
Also as you understand it is not as bad for me as it is for you. One detail doesn't save a figure but there are lot of nice details and I showed it in previous pages!
I really don't like Marx elephant but I'm glad you love him! He is in the perfect house! elephant

Rogério, I never said you said that the CollectA Asian was an excelent figure as Britains rhinos or Papo cats! Wink

I only followed my own ideas and shared them on STS. This kind of things are often help me thinking about models, collections and collectors...

At the beginning of this topic, I thought the most important was the proportion in a model... I don't think so now, as I said bringing some animal soul is more important and need an artist to do so. That's why I talked about PAPO cats and BRITAINS( and SAFARI and BF Wink ) rhinos.

I'm getting older everyday scratch I began to think aloud and now I do it on STS geek Crazy old French macaque indeed Laughing

At least, this topic and this forum help me a lot to think about what I do with small pieces of PVC, lead or composition... And I hope I help others too drunken

You are right, at least for me The COLLECTA is not worse than the SCHLEICH...

But I also collect worse models myself as you know and I guess the ACEDO one could be at the first place on a podium Laughing

baltimore zoo

PostSubject: Baltimore zoo   Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:59 am

K,
I no. But seriously, I'd be happy if they made them(The larger animals) just a little larger. Plus, I look at so many wonderful collections on this forum form our dedicated collectors, and when I see animal figures all displayed on a shelf and the gazelle almost as large as a hippo, I think to myself, I wish they(Companies) would consider just working on some "relative proportion".
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: asian elephants    Today at 10:54 am

Back to top Go down

asian elephants
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next