Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy animal WikiToy animal Wiki  HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Dictionary  Animal Toy forum  
Very Happy The STS 2017 Logo contest is already open HERE Very Happy

Share | 

How to photograph sea animals?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
joyce & anouk

Country/State : the Netherlands

PostSubject: How to photograph sea animals?   Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:03 pm

We keep having problems with taking photos of Schleich sea animals. We want it to look like the photos are taken when the animals are swimming in the ocean, without having to Photoshop (because that is not photography but cheating...). If you put the models on the bottom, it looks like they have stranded...
Up till now, we haven't found any satisfying option. How are your experiences with that? Have you found a solution to make it look real?
Looking forward to your reactions and useful tips!
Best regards,
Joyce & Anouk

this Facebook page shows updates of our collection, we keep you posted about Schleich news, our new arrivals, Schleich exclusives and specials, and much more! We also have "Like, Share and Win" posts once in a while! So like 'Valinor's Schleich Collection' and stay up to date [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
http://www.valinor.nl/schleich
aandmkw

Country/State : Gardendale, TX

PostSubject: Re: How to photograph sea animals?   Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:42 pm

I don't know if this will help you or not, but this is what I did.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: How to photograph sea animals?   Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:43 pm

Laughing Laughing Laughing

The best solution ? PHOTOSHOP of course cheers

Taking a pic of replicas "wich look likes swimming in the ocean" is cheating too, but it could be a piece of art, no matter the way you reach your goal.
Photography is "only" the way to capture light.
Making a picture is always a bit a "cheating" process, choosing the diaphragm, the depht of field, the way you compose it, the lens... all these things are subjective Wink

Kikimalou
Admin

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: How to photograph sea animals?   Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:44 pm

Amy, I loooooove your marine display Very Happy

joyce & anouk

PostSubject: Re: How to photograph sea animals?   Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:55 pm

We photograph each model on its own. This is how we have done this before, but we are not at all satisfied with the result:

this Facebook page shows updates of our collection, we keep you posted about Schleich news, our new arrivals, Schleich exclusives and specials, and much more! We also have "Like, Share and Win" posts once in a while! So like 'Valinor's Schleich Collection' and stay up to date [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
joyce & anouk

PostSubject: Re: How to photograph sea animals?   Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:57 pm

aandmkw, what a lovely way to display your marine animals! We have them together with our other Schleich models in a cupboard behind glass, but your way is something else!

Back to top Go down
aandmkw

PostSubject: Re: How to photograph sea animals?   Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:22 pm

I am hoping to set up a fish aquarium and hang the fish from fishing line in it like they are swimming, but haven't gotten around to that yet. I think it will work great for the fish, but not the whales or sharks.

I am glad you all enjoyed my sealife display. It is something I have wanted to do for a long time. Next on my list are my farmlife display and wildlife diorama.
Back to top Go down
joyce & anouk

PostSubject: Re: How to photograph sea animals?   Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:27 pm

we tried hanging them from ultra thin yarn, but the weight is a problem so they slide off the yarn or you need too many lines to hang them in

Back to top Go down
aandmkw

PostSubject: Re: How to photograph sea animals?   Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:37 pm

Thanks for letting me know. I will have to figure something out then.
Back to top Go down
Philter4

Country/State : Back and forth between East and West coast of the U.S.A.

PostSubject: Re: How to photograph sea animals?   Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:08 pm

I have never done an underwater display or photos, I am a very poor photographer but I try, but I have several birds and a trio of flying foxes that I am going to display on my diorama. What I did was to suspend the birds from a very fine monofilament line for fishing. If I used a flash it showed up on the picture because the line reflected the flash but if I used natural light it was invisible and looked great. I will try to find the pictures but it was quite a while ago and they were not that good so I am not sure I saved them.

I also have another idea but it would leave a mark and possibly damage to the figures so you must have double of each one you use or risk damage to the figure. I was thinking of a polar diorama where there are polar bears and ringed seals or walruses up on the ice and some holes or the ice edge would be visible. I would have a solid background that I would paint and attach support wires which would also be attached to the sides of the swimming figures. if the wire was positioned correctly they would be hidden by the figure.

Making and supporting the ice on top is the problem, my idea would be to make a 3 sided shadow box and attach it to the 3 sides. To make the ice top I would use a thin piece of wood or even better acrylic, this would be the base that I would model the ice and snow. The surface of the water would also be problematic, not attaching it to the ice edges but how to make it. What I thought was to use the same product I use on the rivers I have already made, it is called Magic Water by UnRealDetails and it a fantastic results. I would pour the water in a custom made box with plastic paper on the bottom that could be peeled off when the water is set. Once I have the water surface I would attach it to the support wood or acrylic and that would be the surface of the water.
Back to top Go down
http://philter4@d-web.com
joyce & anouk

PostSubject: Re: How to photograph sea animals?   Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:21 pm

Philter4: do you have a website that displays your diorama photos? We would be very interested to see your work.

Back to top Go down
Philter4

Country/State : Back and forth between East and West coast of the U.S.A.

PostSubject: Re: How to photograph sea animals?   Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:32 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Philter4: do you have a website that displays your diorama photos? We would be very interested to see your work.

I do not but I post almost all of the good photos I take here, look under custom figures and diorama forums to see them.
Back to top Go down
http://philter4@d-web.com
Sergey

Country/State : S. - Petersburg, Russia

PostSubject: Re: How to photograph sea animals?   Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:52 pm

We keep having problems with taking photos of Schleich sea animals. We want it to look like the photos are taken when the animals are swimming in the ocean, without having to Photoshop (because that is not photography but cheating...). If you put the models on the bottom, it looks like they have stranded...
Up till now, we haven't found any satisfying option. How are your experiences with that? Have you found a solution to make it look real?
Looking forward to your reactions and useful tips!
Best regards,
Joyce & Anouk

Wink Wink Wink [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Country/State : Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: How to photograph sea animals?   Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:20 pm

Perhaps you can look at my site;)
Back to top Go down
http://erwindamsma1994.webs.com/
Ana

Country/State : come from Poland now live in The Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: How to photograph sea animals?   Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:37 pm

Laughing Laughing Laughing

The best solution ? PHOTOSHOP of course cheers

Taking a pic of replicas "wich look likes swimming in the ocean" is cheating too, but it could be a piece of art, no matter the way you reach your goal.
Photography is "only" the way to capture light.
Making a picture is always a bit a "cheating" process, choosing the diaphragm, the depht of field, the way you compose it, the lens... all these things are subjective Wink

I agree 100% cheers Is drawing or painting a cheating? I would say not, but it never reflect the reality in 100%. I wouldn't call any Photoshop work cheating until someone would pretend that he didn't use PS in the work he did. :)

Also I'm not sure if PS is only solution, You can search another ways also. Anyway building displays, arranging and trying different lighting it's IMO very close in "being tricky" to Photoshop works. I think if You want to just create nice scene than You can think about this program like it is a tool. And it is only a tool indeed. Cool

Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
Pangolinia

Country/State : Japan

PostSubject: Re: How to photograph sea animals?   Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:34 am

Hi Joyce & Anouk, nice to meet you ! Very Happy Very Happy
About taking photo of sea animals, how about these ?

Do you like it ?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to photograph sea animals?   Today at 12:56 am

Back to top Go down

How to photograph sea animals?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1