Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy animal WikiToy animal Wiki  HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Dictionary  Animal Toy forum  
Very Happy The topic "Animals where you live" won the SUY for December" Very Happy

Share | 

PAPO Smilodon (nothing new). Maybe the Safari next? Any recommendations?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
scot(t)

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: PAPO Smilodon (nothing new). Maybe the Safari next? Any recommendations?    Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:54 am

Nothing new or exciting, except to me: my new Papo Smilodon. I had a hard time deciding which brand to go with for my first. The Papo just seemed, well, fierce.

Maybe the Safari next? Any recommendations? (The Schleich just looks weird to me; but I'm open to suggestions.)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: PAPO Smilodon (nothing new). Maybe the Safari next? Any recommendations?    Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:11 am

IMHO, both SAFARI ltd or MOJÖ could do the job.

scot(t)

PostSubject: Re: PAPO Smilodon (nothing new). Maybe the Safari next? Any recommendations?    Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:19 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
IMHO, both SAFARI ltd or MOJÖ could do the job.

Thanks! Both look good from the pictures. The CollectA looks a little odd. (I did just get the CollectA Mammoth though, and I like it.)

Back to top Go down
baltimore zoo

PostSubject: Baltimore zoo   Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:47 am

I like the Papo, just wish they had made the figure a little thicker/bulkier in body(Torso).
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: PAPO Smilodon (nothing new). Maybe the Safari next? Any recommendations?    Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:56 am

I love the Papo smilodon, - perhaps he isn`t 100 % exactly like science imagine him, but Papo does make wonderful cat-models Very Happy

The collectA one may be accurate, but I really don`t like that terrible habit of PAINTING shades on a model Neutral

Painting shades belong in two-dimesional images, NOT on in a a 3-dimensional model .... Suspect

aandmkw

Country/State : Gardendale, TX

PostSubject: Re: PAPO Smilodon (nothing new). Maybe the Safari next? Any recommendations?    Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:14 pm

Great figure. Congratulations on your new addition.
Back to top Go down
Vivien

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: PAPO Smilodon (nothing new). Maybe the Safari next? Any recommendations?    Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:51 pm

Congratulations! cheers cheers It looks great! Cool

Country/State : Oregon, USA

PostSubject: Re: PAPO Smilodon (nothing new). Maybe the Safari next? Any recommendations?    Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:54 pm

Very nice, I don't have the Papo one (yet)
I do have the Safari, Schleich and Mojo ones. If you like the Papo then I would recommend the Safari next, it is also fierce and a more active pose. The Mojo is just walking but looks like he means business when viewed from the front.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
http://schleich.animobil.info
Roger
Admin

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: PAPO Smilodon (nothing new). Maybe the Safari next? Any recommendations?    Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:28 pm

If you want a smilodon morphologically correct and with some scientific quality the choice is Mojo. In my opinion, and I know Bullyland, Schleich, Papo and CollectA too! Safari I only know from pictures.
If you want a figure with action but that is a panther with big tooth, you have already the Papo as the best choice. You must check first what is more important for you in a figure. Something closer to a museum replica that shows what the species were or something with some more character but that is more close to a fantasy figure?
Both choices are correct once they enjoy you! cat affraid

~ Rogério [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: PAPO Smilodon (nothing new). Maybe the Safari next? Any recommendations?    Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:08 am

I love the Safai one because she has a kitten Wink
And the Bullyland one because there are variants in painting Laughing

Last edited by SUSANNE on Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://dyr-og-dimser.dk
HKHollinstone

Country/State : England, CUMBRIA

PostSubject: Re: PAPO Smilodon (nothing new). Maybe the Safari next? Any recommendations?    Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:31 pm

Congratulations Scott! I don't have any but I like the Safari ltd one.

Back to top Go down
http://hkhollinstone.weebly.com/
Vivien

PostSubject: Re: PAPO Smilodon (nothing new). Maybe the Safari next? Any recommendations?    Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:31 pm

And the Bullyland one because there are variants in painting Laughing
Laughing Laughing

PostSubject: Re: PAPO Smilodon (nothing new). Maybe the Safari next? Any recommendations?    Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:35 pm

Thanks to everyone for your comments and thoughts!
Back to top Go down
baltimore zoo

PostSubject: Baltimore zoo   Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:42 am

The Mojo smilodon is morphologically correct, but not a fan of the paint job, so maybe get it and just repaint?
Back to top Go down
widukind

PostSubject: Re: PAPO Smilodon (nothing new). Maybe the Safari next? Any recommendations?    Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:35 pm

A cute kittie!!! lol! lol!

Big congrats!!!! cheers cheers cheers cheers

Country/State : Mexico

PostSubject: Re: PAPO Smilodon (nothing new). Maybe the Safari next? Any recommendations?    Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:22 am

Nothing new or exciting, except to me: my new Papo Smilodon. I had a hard time deciding which brand to go with for my first. The Papo just seemed, well, fierce.

Maybe the Safari next? Any recommendations? (The Schleich just looks weird to me; but I'm open to suggestions.)

Thanks for the pic, I'm interested in getting this one, just one question to make up my mind: In a frontal view, the canines are conical or flattened?
Back to top Go down
Bruno C Monteiro

Country/State : Brasil/São Paulo

PostSubject: Re: PAPO Smilodon (nothing new). Maybe the Safari next? Any recommendations?    Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:52 pm

If you want a smilodon morphologically correct and with some scientific quality the choice is Mojo. In my opinion, and I know Bullyland, Schleich, Papo and CollectA too! Safari I only know from pictures.
If you want a figure with action but that is a panther with big tooth, you have already the Papo as the best choice. You must check first what is more important for you in a figure. Something closer to a museum replica that shows what the species were or something with some more character but that is more close to a fantasy figure?
Both choices are correct once they enjoy you! cat affraid

I agree with Roger. The Papo ones look like a wolf man! Saber from Mojo is awesome.(Sorry!!!) Laughing Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Taos

Country/State : W.Sussex,United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: PAPO Smilodon (nothing new). Maybe the Safari next? Any recommendations?    Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:35 pm

Hi I have the Scleich,Papo,Bullyland,Safari Ltd,Carnegie,Mojo,ELC and AAA Sabre tooth cats and would put them in order of preference:
Papo
Safari Ltd
Mojo
Bullyland
AAA
Carnegie
ELC
Schleich
Back to top Go down
scot(t)

PostSubject: Re: PAPO Smilodon (nothing new). Maybe the Safari next? Any recommendations?    Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:48 am

Thanks for the pic, I'm interested in getting this one, just one question to make up my mind: In a frontal view, the canines are conical or flattened?

Defteros, they look conical to me. If the canines were intended to be slightly flattened, or blade-like, it is too subtle for me to see it. Papo is the only smilodon I have (I don't collect prehistoric animals, but I got the smilodon and whooly mammoth for my partner and, I confess, the basis of choosing both was purely what models I thought she'd like rather than accuracy.)

Hope that helps a little. I'd be happy to take a set of closer pictures of the teeth if you want, just let me know and I could probably do it tomorrow.

Back to top Go down
Defteros

PostSubject: Re: PAPO Smilodon (nothing new). Maybe the Safari next? Any recommendations?    Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:36 am

Defteros, they look conical to me. If the canines were intended to be slightly flattened, or blade-like, it is too subtle for me to see it. Papo is the only smilodon I have (I don't collect prehistoric animals, but I got the smilodon and whooly mammoth for my partner and, I confess, the basis of choosing both was purely what models I thought she'd like rather than accuracy.)

Hope that helps a little. I'd be happy to take a set of closer pictures of the teeth if you want, just let me know and I could probably do it tomorrow.

Oh that would ve great if you could post a pic of a frontal view of the face. Thank you.
Back to top Go down
Taylcoel

Country/State : United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: PAPO Smilodon (nothing new). Maybe the Safari next? Any recommendations?    Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:08 pm

it looks so big and fierce with great detail
cat

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

my website link is at the bottom [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by Taylcoel on Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://schleich-c.webs.com
Elros Alvar

Country/State : Spain

PostSubject: Re: PAPO Smilodon (nothing new). Maybe the Safari next? Any recommendations?    Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:10 pm

Is very realistic, its movement, looks great Very Happy sunny
Back to top Go down
scot(t)

PostSubject: Re: PAPO Smilodon (nothing new). Maybe the Safari next? Any recommendations?    Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:51 am

Thank you Coel and Álvaro!

Defteros, here are some pictures at different angles, so you can get a better view of the shape of the canines in this model. I hope these help!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Back to top Go down
Defteros

PostSubject: Re: PAPO Smilodon (nothing new). Maybe the Safari next? Any recommendations?    Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:35 am

Thank you so much scot(t) ,that's exactly what I needed to see. The canines are conical instead of flattened Sad, so I think I'll pass on this one.
Back to top Go down
scot(t)

PostSubject: Re: PAPO Smilodon (nothing new). Maybe the Safari next? Any recommendations?    Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:10 am

Thank you so much scot(t) ,that's exactly what I needed to see. The canines are conical instead of flattened Sad, so I think I'll pass on this one.

I'm happy to help! (It is too bad they are conical. As others have pointed out, this Papo doesn't seem to be the most accurate of the various models available.)

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: PAPO Smilodon (nothing new). Maybe the Safari next? Any recommendations?    Today at 1:11 pm

Back to top Go down

PAPO Smilodon (nothing new). Maybe the Safari next? Any recommendations?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next