Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy animal WikiToy animal Wiki  HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Dictionary  Animal Toy forum  
Very Happy The topic "Animals where you live" won the SUY for December" Very Happy

Share | 

PAPO Smilodon (nothing new). Maybe the Safari next? Any recommendations?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Defteros

Country/State : Mexico

PostSubject: Re: PAPO Smilodon (nothing new). Maybe the Safari next? Any recommendations?    Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:01 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Thank you so much scot(t) ,that's exactly what I needed to see. The canines are conical instead of flattened Sad, so I think I'll pass on this one.

I'm happy to help! (It is too bad they are conical. As others have pointed out, this Papo doesn't seem to be the most accurate of the various models available.)

Thanks again, I don't mean to sound obnoxious, but I try to limit my collection to the most accurate pieces, because here in Mexico these kind of figures are kinda hard to get and are very expensive, some are sold 3 times their retail price in the US.
Back to top Go down
scot(t)

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: PAPO Smilodon (nothing new). Maybe the Safari next? Any recommendations?    Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:40 am

Thank you so much scot(t) ,that's exactly what I needed to see. The canines are conical instead of flattened Sad, so I think I'll pass on this one.

I'm happy to help! (It is too bad they are conical. As others have pointed out, this Papo doesn't seem to be the most accurate of the various models available.)

Thanks again, I don't mean to sound obnoxious, but I try to limit my collection to the most accurate pieces, because here in Mexico these kind of figures are kinda hard to get and are very expensive, some are sold 3 times their retail price in the US.

That's not obnoxious at all! Seriously. A lot of collectors here are very discriminating and it isn't seen as obnoxious or as a flaw.

Back to top Go down
HKHollinstone

Country/State : England, CUMBRIA

PostSubject: Re: PAPO Smilodon (nothing new). Maybe the Safari next? Any recommendations?    Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:43 am

Wow I love your photos Scott! I loved them before but with your new background it really makes the model stand out.

Back to top Go down
http://hkhollinstone.weebly.com/
SUSANNE
Admin

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: PAPO Smilodon (nothing new). Maybe the Safari next? Any recommendations?    Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:47 am

I was googling for info how the teeth really looked and found this rather interesting page for dummies ( like me geek ) about evolution
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] cat

Roger
Admin

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: PAPO Smilodon (nothing new). Maybe the Safari next? Any recommendations?    Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:11 am

A very inacurate figure but a very desirable piece! That's a good example how our life is hard. Isn't it what we wish to see in a smilodon? cat
Your pictures show clearly how impressive this figure is! Very Happy

~ Rogério [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
scot(t)

PostSubject: Re: PAPO Smilodon (nothing new). Maybe the Safari next? Any recommendations?    Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:21 am

Wow I love your photos Scott! I loved them before but with your new background it really makes the model stand out.

Thank you so much Harriet! It's very much influenced by many of your photos and Christophe's as well. I like the effect and will at the very least use it for certain models. However, I shot some pictures of the Starlux Babirusa against that blue background and it fits poorly with the blue tones that are in the paintwork of that model. I need a different color background to do it again.

I was googling for info how the teeth really looked and found this rather interesting page for dummies ( like me geek ) about evolution
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] cat

Thank you for the link Susanne! That's a really interesting set of pages. I wasn't aware of analogies in natural selection (or the difference between analogies and homologies).

Back to top Go down
scot(t)

PostSubject: Re: PAPO Smilodon (nothing new). Maybe the Safari next? Any recommendations?    Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:27 am

A very inacurate figure but a very desirable piece! That's a good example how our life is hard. Isn't it what we wish to see in a smilodon? cat

Thanks Roger! It is really is inaccurate; the more I read about Smilodons, the more I see that. But it's such a dynamic sculpt.

I seem to remember you recommending Mojo as a more accurate model, but probably I'm remembering incorrectly.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin

PostSubject: Re: PAPO Smilodon (nothing new). Maybe the Safari next? Any recommendations?    Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:52 pm

Thanks Roger! It is really is inaccurate; the more I read about Smilodons, the more I see that. But it's such a dynamic sculpt.

I seem to remember you recommending Mojo as a more accurate model, but probably I'm remembering incorrectly.

I recomended Mojo indeed. Not being perfect it is the smilodon figure I know more close shaped with what we read and learn about these creatures! The Papo figure is the most ostentatious I know. Not only because it is expensive but because it was only designed to be impressive. We read often that smilodons were stout almost like bears, clearly mor than a modern jaguar is and what we see in Papo is a very narrow body. like a panther. We are not talking about milimiters but in a huge difference. Anyway, if the respect for the real characteristics of an animal was not important for me my choice would be the Papo figure once it is well finished and has a warrior style that is what we expect from these creatures. Evil or Very Mad affraid cat Very Happy
Remember, I only know the Safari from pictures, it looks nice and many "dino" experts recomend it too!

~ Rogério [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: PAPO Smilodon (nothing new). Maybe the Safari next? Any recommendations?    Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:57 am

I agree with Roger of course !

Less spectacular but more realistic, IMHO the MOJO, the SAFARI Ltd and the old 1988 Carnegie are both excellent.

The SAFARI Ltd
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

You can see the CARNEGIE SAFARI Ltd [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

By the way, if small scales are not a problem for you, KAIYODO made a ver decent Smilodon fatalis Wink

STORMnl

Country/State : Nijmegen-Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: PAPO Smilodon (nothing new). Maybe the Safari next? Any recommendations?    Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:14 pm

Ok here is my opinion

and i have a lot of prehistoric cats

you started with the Papo cat,,a very nice good cat

than you want more cats

you must defently have the MOJO one
it's the best saber at this moment

than go for the safari one,,good cat and nice pose
and try to get the kitten to

susanne and i know a shop were they stil sell the kitten

all other cat are for my on the second line

you need when you start collecting prhistoric mammals,,the
:

Papo cat
MOJO cat
Safari cats

all others are nice and come for my on the second place

collectA,Bullyland,Schleich,,and all other companies

Martien

ps

the MOJO cat is my number 1 cat
Papo 2nd and Safari 3th

PostSubject: Re: PAPO Smilodon (nothing new). Maybe the Safari next? Any recommendations?    Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:25 am

That Safari ltd. Smilodon looks pretty good and accurate.
Back to top Go down
STORMnl

PostSubject: Re: PAPO Smilodon (nothing new). Maybe the Safari next? Any recommendations?    Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:48 am

here is the Mojo Cat

PostSubject: Re: PAPO Smilodon (nothing new). Maybe the Safari next? Any recommendations?    Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:50 am

and here is the promo photo

PostSubject: Re: PAPO Smilodon (nothing new). Maybe the Safari next? Any recommendations?    Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:17 am

I'll definitely go with the Safari ltd. Mojo's looks pretty wierd, the head is too big, that humanlike cheek teeth look funny, the hind legs are as stocky as the front legs, the extended claws while walking are inaccurate, the dew claw is missing, and the plain coat is outdated, but mostly that BULGE between the legs looks terrible No
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin

PostSubject: Re: PAPO Smilodon (nothing new). Maybe the Safari next? Any recommendations?    Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:14 am

...... the plain coat is outdated

Has it been found out what colour smilodons had ? Shocked

......but mostly that BULGE between the legs looks terrible No

GOSH ! You are right ! I never noticed that before affraid
That is a serious mistake !
On cats the external genetial organs are placed under the tail and almost invisible study

I can`t imagine that this species should have been any different Rolling Eyes

Seijun

Country/State : USA, OR

PostSubject: Re: PAPO Smilodon (nothing new). Maybe the Safari next? Any recommendations?    Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:29 am

For smilodon's a I would recommend Safari's, or the large aaa smilodon:

I don't know how scientifically accurate either of these are, but both are very good-quality sculpts. The aaa figure is an impressive 30cm long!
Back to top Go down
Tylosaurus

Country/State : Dirksland, The Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: PAPO Smilodon (nothing new). Maybe the Safari next? Any recommendations?    Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:50 am

As Smilodon goes the Tyco Dino-Riders version which was used for their ICE AGE Series looks best imo:
you can see mine here :)
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Click to Enlarge :)

Here some other pics of it :)

For 1989/1990 this isn't bad I'd say, I also like it's retro looks, it does not have to be all so accurate, it just has to look good imo, I see it as a collectable that way Razz

If you seek more pics of this figure, I can make a few Cool

Last edited by Tylosaurus on Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://leagueofdilos.forumotion.net/
Roger
Admin

PostSubject: Re: PAPO Smilodon (nothing new). Maybe the Safari next? Any recommendations?    Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:11 pm

I'll definitely go with the Safari ltd. Mojo's looks pretty wierd, the head is too big, that humanlike cheek teeth look funny, the hind legs are as stocky as the front legs, the extended claws while walking are inaccurate, the dew claw is missing, and the plain coat is outdated, but mostly that BULGE between the legs looks terrible No

Curious, the head of the Safari is also large, isn't it? About the coat I also would love to know some evidences of the color. The tiger looking of the Safari figure is usually considered outdated and not educative.
Are you sure that the Safari and Mojo are the same species? Yes, that is important to check the proportions between front and back legs. They had powerful front limbs but I don't know evidences that hind legs were not strong too. Saber teeth are flatened and correctly shaped, I agree that smaller teeth are very simplified because they are not pointy but this point I cannot see in Safari figure.
The figure has dewclaws, what it has not is nails on dewclaws, but many mammals, including felines, have not them. I'm not an expert in genitals but I also don't like this detail of Mojo figure. Anyway, smilodons should not be religiously comparated with modern cats, they don't belong to the same evolutive line. See hyenas that share the same ancestor than smilodons, only using bones who would expect such developed genitals in hyenas? Unfortunately that's a very negleted point in many brands, including Safari.
So you can see that half of your points are subjective, unless you can show me evidences that I don't have and I would apreciate it.
Anyway I think Safari is an interesting choice. :)

Back to top Go down
STORMnl

PostSubject: Re: PAPO Smilodon (nothing new). Maybe the Safari next? Any recommendations?    Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:21 pm

Ok

Nobody knows how sabercats,had hanging there bals and penus
there were only bones found

and we are speaking over a mammal that is a long gone
and nobody has seen one in live action

in my opinion is the MOJO saber the best cat at the moment
you must see it in youre hands

and yes the safari saber is number 2

but you must buy and not me..
but the MOJO saber is a cat you must have in youre collection
and i go all the way with Roger,

had to make an extra point at the saber

Martien

ps have a look at Collecta's Megacerops
look what he has hanging,, :) Cool :)

Admin

PostSubject: Re: PAPO Smilodon (nothing new). Maybe the Safari next? Any recommendations?    Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:00 pm

Have you got him ? bounce bounce bounce

STORMnl

PostSubject: Re: PAPO Smilodon (nothing new). Maybe the Safari next? Any recommendations?    Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:02 pm

not yet,,but the shop in my neighbourhood sels it

and also the collecta cavemen,

so it wont take long ,,and they are standing here in my house

martien

PostSubject: Re: PAPO Smilodon (nothing new). Maybe the Safari next? Any recommendations?    Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:11 pm

Curious, the head of the Safari is also large, isn't it? About the coat I also would love to know some evidences of the color. The tiger looking of the Safari figure is usually considered outdated and not educative.
Are you sure that the Safari and Mojo are the same species? Yes, that is important to check the proportions between front and back legs. They had powerful front limbs but I don't know evidences that hind legs were not strong too. Saber teeth are flatened and correctly shaped, I agree that smaller teeth are very simplified because they are not pointy but this point I cannot see in Safari figure.
The figure has dewclaws, what it has not is nails on dewclaws, but many mammals, including felines, have not them. I'm not an expert in genitals but I also don't like this detail of Mojo figure. Anyway, smilodons should not be religiously comparated with modern cats, they don't belong to the same evolutive line. See hyenas that share the same ancestor than smilodons, only using bones who would expect such developed genitals in hyenas? Unfortunately that's a very negleted point in many brands, including Safari.
So you can see that half of your points are subjective, unless you can show me evidences that I don't have and I would apreciate it.
Anyway I think Safari is an interesting choice. :)

The head is way too big, is almost the same size as the rib cage and belly together, there are 3 species of Smilodon and none had that huge head proportions.
Of course, there's no evidence of the fur color or patterns in it, but specialists in carnivores agree that markings like spots and small stripes are a primitive trait for cats, and most modern reconstructions made by experts are done with markings, the best examples are Mauricio Anton and Mark Hallett.
The front legs were very powerful to wrestle big prey to the ground, there's evidence of this in the markings the muscles left in the "arms", but not on the rear legs.
With humanlike teeth I didn't mean how they're simplified, I mean it should be a gap between the canines and the cheek teeth and the figure has a complete row.
If the figure do have dew claws they're too far apart, they look like the carpal pads instead.
About the bulge, there's no carnivore that has it... Female hyenas are sexually dimorphic animals, the females are bigger than males, unlike Smilodon which both males and females were the same size, and even so the although the clitoris in the female resemble a penis, it's located below the anus, not between the legs like a bull or horse.
Back to top Go down
Defteros

PostSubject: Re: PAPO Smilodon (nothing new). Maybe the Safari next? Any recommendations?    Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:16 pm

...... the plain coat is outdated

Has it been found out what colour smilodons had ? Shocked

......but mostly that BULGE between the legs looks terrible No

GOSH ! You are right ! I never noticed that before affraid
That is a serious mistake !
On cats the external genetial organs are placed under the tail and almost invisible study

I can`t imagine that this species should have been any different Rolling Eyes

Of course, there's no evidence of the fur color or patterns in it yet, but specialists in carnivores agree that markings like spots and small stripes are a primitive trait for cats, and most modern reconstructions made by experts are done with markings, the best examples are Mauricio Antón and Mark Hallett.
Back to top Go down
Tylosaurus

Country/State : Dirksland, The Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: PAPO Smilodon (nothing new). Maybe the Safari next? Any recommendations?    Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:40 am

Ok

Nobody knows how sabercats,had hanging there bals and penus
there were only bones found

and we are speaking over a mammal that is a long gone
and nobody has seen one in live action

in my opinion is the MOJO saber the best cat at the moment
you must see it in youre hands

and yes the safari saber is number 2

but you must buy and not me..
but the MOJO saber is a cat you must have in youre collection
and i go all the way with Roger,

had to make an extra point at the saber

Martien

look what he has hanging,, :) Cool :)
Yeah a big down dropping staff Shocked

Sorry, but erm I find mammals rather gross to collect, so I will keep it to collecting Dinosaurs rofl

Kikimalou
Admin

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: PAPO Smilodon (nothing new). Maybe the Safari next? Any recommendations?    Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:25 am

Another very good Smilodon model [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and the making of [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Wink

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: PAPO Smilodon (nothing new). Maybe the Safari next? Any recommendations?    Today at 1:13 pm

Back to top Go down

PAPO Smilodon (nothing new). Maybe the Safari next? Any recommendations?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next