Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Turtle 14601 disappointment

Go down 
+4
SUSANNE
Kikimalou
scot(t)
Joan Milelire
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Joan Milelire

Joan Milelire

Country/State : Catalonia

Turtle 14601 disappointment Empty
PostSubject: Turtle 14601 disappointment   Turtle 14601 disappointment EmptyMon May 07, 2012 6:14 pm

Just today a Schleich's turtle arrived home, together with the new panda, the nest and the Safari reindeer (thank you Noora!). The turtle is the 14601 model, which according to the web is a Geochelone gigantea. Well, correct me if I'm wrong but find a new scientific error in an animal replica, as Scott explained [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].

This replica has only 4 central scutes and three lateral pairs (when they should be 5 and 4 respectively). I think a mistake quite important, since the shell is almost the main element that defines a turtle, and if the brand does not have it in mind ... Evil or Very Mad

But what was my astonishment again when referring to other figures of turtles on the market I find that the supposed Safari Ltd. desert tortoise is exactly the same mold than Schleich Neutral . So we have a single mold (wrongly) that serves two distinct species. People of the brands a bit of scientific accuracy! study study study

my handmade models: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]     my models in facebook: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
http://bestiari.weebly.com/
scot(t)

scot(t)

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Turtle 14601 disappointment   Turtle 14601 disappointment EmptyMon May 07, 2012 11:36 pm

Thank you, Joan, for such an interesting post!

You are raising two issues here, both of which bother me as well. First, there is the inaccuracies. I'll admit, I often overlook inaccuracies so that it won't taint my enjoyment of the figures. Most of the time I just don't see inaccuracies because, to be honest, I don't know enough about the animals to spot them. But as I learn more -- on my own or through this forum -- they are easier to find. And once you do notice an inaccuracy, it's hard to ignore.

Second, I'm surprised that two companies would use the same mold. It really looks like the Schleich and the Safari are the very same figure. Is that possible?? How does that happen? Just a few days ago, I noticed that the Schleich and Safari Mountain Goats appear to be nearly identical. I only own the Schleich model, so I'm having to rely on pictures, but they appear to come from the same mold.

This issue has probably been discussed at length somewhere on this forum, but if so, I don't know where the thread is.
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Turtle 14601 disappointment   Turtle 14601 disappointment EmptyTue May 08, 2012 1:33 am

there was a topic about the two rocky mountain goat scratch I don't remember where confused It means this forum is old now Laughing

Indeed SCHLEICH and SAFARI Ltd are using the same molds to make their Mountain goats and the tortoises. For the Mountain goats, SAFARI Ltd used the mold after SCHLEICH stopped the production. For the tortoise the two companies are using the same mold to produce two different species.

SAFARI Ltd is nearly always more serious than SCHLEICH about accuracy... Nevertheless, It seems that they are both wrong with this tortoise Laughing

COLORATA made a very fine Aldabara tortoise Wink

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Turtle 14601 disappointment   Turtle 14601 disappointment EmptyTue May 08, 2012 4:07 am

Very interesting, - I learn from this forum almost every day study cheers

SyLoBe

SyLoBe

Country/State : Spain

PostSubject: Re: Turtle 14601 disappointment   Turtle 14601 disappointment EmptyTue May 08, 2012 4:25 am

I know what you mean about feeling dissapointed...

It´s really interesting, I don´t collect turtles so had never noticed that before.

Visit my art gallery at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I accept commissions!
Back to top Go down
http://sylobe.deviantart.com
Joan Milelire

Joan Milelire

PostSubject: Re: Turtle 14601 disappointment   Turtle 14601 disappointment EmptyTue May 08, 2012 9:14 am

scot(t) wrote:
I'll admit, I often overlook inaccuracies so that it won't taint my enjoyment of the figures. Most of the time I just don't see inaccuracies because, to be honest, I don't know enough about the animals to spot them. But as I learn more -- on my own or through this forum -- they are easier to find. And once you do notice an inaccuracy, it's hard to ignore.

I've got exactly the same trouble Scott. If I ever encounter a failure, either an error of perspective in a painting or a sculpture vagueness, I can't stop noticing that imperfection Shocked
When this happens with animal replicas, if it's a problem of color, painting ... -it is easy to correct. But in this case is a problem with sculpting which probably cause the figure to pass to the trade list Laughing

Kikimalou wrote:

COLORATA made a very fine Aldabara tortoise Wink

Very wonderful model Christophe, but colorata items are very expensive. Is it very big? In the picture of your web the comparision figurine is not known for me, so I don't know how much big is the replica :)

my handmade models: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]     my models in facebook: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
scot(t)

scot(t)

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Turtle 14601 disappointment   Turtle 14601 disappointment EmptyTue May 08, 2012 9:31 am

After Christophe posted the picture of the Colorata, I've spent the whole morning looking on eBay at the Reptile set. Very expensive. But the Aldabara Tortoise and the Boa in that set are marvelous.

Sigh. So many lovely animals. So little cash in my wallet.
Back to top Go down
skysthelimit

skysthelimit

Country/State : Serbia

PostSubject: Re: Turtle 14601 disappointment   Turtle 14601 disappointment EmptyTue May 08, 2012 9:36 am

scot(t) wrote:
After Christophe posted the picture of the Colorata, I've spent the whole morning looking on eBay at the Reptile set.
Yep, Chris loves to post teasers Very Happy

Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Turtle 14601 disappointment   Turtle 14601 disappointment EmptyTue May 08, 2012 11:06 am

Joan, these toys are made for children and in my long experience in local shops I never saw a children counting the pieces of the shell of a turtle. And all children know what is a manita! Laughing
I enjoy seeing figures with accuracy and being careful with some scientific details and not only trying to make cute and pretty figures to sell better. When we collect only enjoying the beautiness of a figure the pleasure vanish very fast but when we learn with them the joy never desapears and we get more than a figure but also something more valuable that is some knowledge.
Thanks for sharing it with us, I remember Vivien saying how similar Schleich and Safari figures are and I got surprised at this time maybe because I never noticed it before reading Vivien's comment. flower
Also I own the desert tortoise and never stopped a little to watch it so your information is very useful Very Happy

Joan Milelire

PostSubject: Re: Turtle 14601 disappointment   Turtle 14601 disappointment EmptyTue May 08, 2012 12:29 pm

Roger wrote:
Joan, these toys are made for children and in my long experience in local shops I never saw a children counting the pieces of the shell of a turtle. And all children know what is a manita! Laughing

Those children are not prepared enough for future Mad Laughing Laughing

No seriosly, you're true, they're toys but also replicas. Is it supposed that sculptors learn something about animals. A replica is a copy and with some things is hard to go wrong. And in this case I think that the model used by the sculptor was a Ninja turtle, not an Aldabara one Laughing Laughing

hehe, i think I've been a bad boy now Razz sorry Schleich sculptor Twisted Evil

Anyway, as you see for my comments I'm a picky collector Shocked Very Happy I like to have the best replica of each specie , regardless of brand.

Back to top Go down
Vondan

Vondan

Country/State : USA / Oregon

PostSubject: Re: Turtle 14601 disappointment   Turtle 14601 disappointment EmptyTue May 08, 2012 2:36 pm

hey I had that schleich or Safari turtle from a random $2 bag at a thrift store.

It was not to scale with my RPG or table top war game figures which is what i get the figures for

I tossed it in a bucket of other figures i did not want and gave it to a org for kids who's houses burned down
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Turtle 14601 disappointment   Turtle 14601 disappointment EmptyTue May 08, 2012 3:40 pm

Abu Rai wrote:
Very wonderful model Christophe, but colorata items are very expensive. Is it very big? In the picture of your web the comparison figurine is not known for me, so I don't know how much big is the replica :)

Joan all I can show you is my human team pic HERE The little man is the same than the painted one on the left side. The turtle is nearly the same size than the SCHLEICH Wink

skysthelimit wrote:
scot(t) wrote:
After Christophe posted the picture of the Colorata, I've spent the whole morning looking on eBay at the Reptile set.
Yep, Chris loves to post teasers Very Happy

Laughing Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
Joan Milelire

Joan Milelire

PostSubject: Re: Turtle 14601 disappointment   Turtle 14601 disappointment EmptyTue May 08, 2012 5:39 pm

Thank you Christophe, it is enough :)

Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Turtle 14601 disappointment   Turtle 14601 disappointment EmptySun May 13, 2012 9:50 pm

Abu Rai wrote:
Roger wrote:

Those children are not prepared enough for future Mad Laughing Laughing

No seriosly, you're true, they're toys but also replicas. Is it supposed that sculptors learn something about animals. A replica is a copy and with some things is hard to go wrong. And in this case I think that the model used by the sculptor was a Ninja turtle, not an Aldabara one Laughing Laughing

hehe, i think I've been a bad boy now Razz sorry Schleich sculptor Twisted Evil

Anyway, as you see for my comments I'm a picky collector Shocked Very Happy I like to have the best replica of each specie , regardless of brand.

Laughing Laughing
Ah Joan! I agree with you and you know it perfectly! We are always finding excuses to the sculptors but it is so easy to find information in our days and also there are many figures to apeal the fantasy of kids like these tortugas! geek
So I am like you! Once the brands tell in their websites that their figures are as realistic as possible they only have to make the best, when it is wrong we are here to say. If they don't want to know we know what to do. Fortunately there are many nice brands! affraid .. like Schleich is, of course! Embarassed Wink

PostSubject: Re: Turtle 14601 disappointment   Turtle 14601 disappointment Empty

Back to top Go down

Turtle 14601 disappointment
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
STS Forum  :: Animal toy figures reviews and discussions :: Major brands :: Schleich-
Jump to: