Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

A little SOS about searching topics.

Go down 
+4
SUSANNE
Kikimalou
dlfrogman
Mastiffcat
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Mastiffcat

Mastiffcat

Country/State : California

A little SOS about searching topics. Empty
PostSubject: How do you search topics?   A little SOS about searching topics. EmptyWed Mar 21, 2012 12:10 am

When i try to search using the Search function, almost always it comes back and says that nothing matches. For example, I just searched for "baboon" and it told me there were none. affraid When it does return anything, it gives me only the most recent thread with the search word.
What am i doing wrong?!?!?

Country/State : Idaho USA

PostSubject: Re: A little SOS about searching topics.   A little SOS about searching topics. EmptyWed Mar 21, 2012 12:31 am

I don't think you are doing anything wrong I tried other words and they worked fine I guess there was never a topic that contained the word baboon in it scratch scratch
Back to top Go down
Mastiffcat

Mastiffcat

Country/State : California

PostSubject: Re: A little SOS about searching topics.   A little SOS about searching topics. EmptyWed Mar 21, 2012 3:27 am

i think i've figured it out: it seems to search only thread titles, not the posts themselves. Not optimal since I must be always searching for words that don't appear in titles.

Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: A little SOS about searching topics.   A little SOS about searching topics. EmptyWed Mar 21, 2012 6:30 am

that's why we need also to choose more informative titles than "Guess what ?", " A fantastic model" or "look at this !" Wink
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: A little SOS about searching topics.   A little SOS about searching topics. EmptyMon May 21, 2012 9:50 am

This is VERY important !!!!!!!

Perhaps we should make a VIP-topic with "Good advice".
Hey, I think I will do that bounce bounce cheers

scot(t)

scot(t)

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: A little SOS about searching topics.   A little SOS about searching topics. EmptyMon May 21, 2012 6:03 pm

Here's what I do:

1. Go to Google

2. the first thing you type in is "site:https://sts-forum.forumieren.de" (except without the quotation marks). (Important Note: Make sure there are no spaces between the word 'site', the colon, and the url that follows.)

3. What step (2) does is force Google to search ONLY pages at that domain. So essentially, you are using Google to search just the STS site.

4. Then put in whatever search terms you like (obviously separated by spaces--you know, using the usual google-like conventions).

5. So, for example, if I wanted to search the site for information about the Kaiyodo Bongo, I type the words within the brackets (except without any brackets) into Google: [site:https://sts-forum.forumieren.de Kaiyodo Bongo]. Or, [site:https://sts-forum.forumieren.de Kaiyodo Bongo "Science Museum"].

I hope that helps.
Back to top Go down
PeGe

PeGe

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: A little SOS about searching topics.   A little SOS about searching topics. EmptyMon May 21, 2012 6:36 pm

Kikimalou wrote:
that's why we need also to choose more informative titles than "Guess what ?", " A fantastic model" or "look at this !" Wink
cheers Very Happy
True words. Postings links to other related threads is also very helpful, especially when the former topic turns into another one or pictures are posted which aren't obviously connected with the rest of the thread.
When there are several threads concerning one topic, please choose the most frequently read one and link the others when you add a posting,...
I also have doubts if so many threads about e.g one special figurine are really necessary. For instance Joans Thylacine is a very brilliant replica with one concerning thread as well,.... Wink

Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: A little SOS about searching topics.   A little SOS about searching topics. EmptyWed Jul 04, 2012 10:58 am

Uhh, it is hard to express in English, what I want to write here.
But I hope you all know me well enough to have no doubt that I mean absolutely NO offence !

My little problem is, that more and more people have ONE subject with titles like " My models".
These subjects are full of wonderful pictures, lots of information and great discussions.

But I can never find specific stuff in them again when I want to  Sad

There is NO easy way to search.
If I can not remember who or when, it is almost an impossible task.
They are in the "collections" , so even the brand is no indication.

If I want to find a specific picture, I have to scroll page after page after page of author after author, - and most often I just give up  No

Of course it is not for me to decide, but I long for the time when the headlines gave an idication, and where I could find models in the brand sections or under a relevant heading.

This is meant VERY positive !!!!The models and pictures I look for are the great models and great pictures.
But perhaps it is only me, who is and old geek  geek  clown  Laughing

Kristie

Kristie

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: A little SOS about searching topics.   A little SOS about searching topics. EmptyWed Jul 04, 2012 12:17 pm

:) Susanne, I will be more specific in my topic titles.

-Kristie
Back to top Go down
HKHollinstone

HKHollinstone

Country/State : England, CUMBRIA

PostSubject: Re: A little SOS about searching topics.   A little SOS about searching topics. EmptyWed Jul 04, 2012 2:46 pm

I understand you Susanne, I'll try and do it too.

Back to top Go down
http://hkhollinstone.weebly.com/
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: A little SOS about searching topics.   A little SOS about searching topics. EmptyWed Jul 04, 2012 3:19 pm

Thankyou, friends cheers flower sunny

Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: A little SOS about searching topics.   A little SOS about searching topics. EmptyWed Jul 04, 2012 10:44 pm

I agree with you Susanne. Wink

I posted the same ideas several time on STS. Rolling Eyes Wink

Thats' the reason why I always have title like "The year brand animal by monkey " Very Happy
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: A little SOS about searching topics.   A little SOS about searching topics. EmptyWed Jul 04, 2012 11:31 pm

Kikimalou wrote:

Thats' the reason why I always have title like "The year brand animal by monkey " Very Happy

Yes, yes, that is a good one, - the year-brand-animal-by- alien cheers

The year is good to have in a heading also.
Like my "new" reindeer...suddenly two years have passed, and then, - what is " new" ? Shocked

Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: A little SOS about searching topics.   A little SOS about searching topics. EmptyThu Jul 05, 2012 8:25 am

I will move this topic to the problem section Wink
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: A little SOS about searching topics.   A little SOS about searching topics. EmptyThu Jul 05, 2012 9:05 am

Thankyou, Christophe flower
Yes, the right place is important also geek Laughing

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A little SOS about searching topics.   A little SOS about searching topics. Empty

Back to top Go down

A little SOS about searching topics.
Page 1 of 1