Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Show us Yours: Rhinos! (Aug 2012)

Go down 
+47
Advicot
spacelab
Caracal
RtasVadumee
bmathison1972
Pardofelis
Bowhead Whale
zirkoon
costicuba
Tarunyada
NightLioness
TheLastStardust
docronnie
Zelvik
koniminiatures
Taos
JonasV
ulinuk
AlvinCK
Noémi
almisi43
Ana
Chris Sweetman
Kikimalou
Rio
Taylcoel
sortepletter
lucky luke
PeGe
ken yeo
Yurumi
Joan Milelire
landrover
Kristie
castlerigg
75senta75
Seijun
widukind
MartinH
HKHollinstone
scot(t)
weaselfan93
Roger
SUSANNE
Sumo
Elros Alvar
SeanieP
51 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 7 ... 14  Next
AuthorMessage
SeanieP

SeanieP

Country/State : Woburn (Boston), MA US

rhinos - Show us Yours: Rhinos! (Aug 2012) Empty
PostSubject: Show us Yours: Rhinos! (Aug 2012)   rhinos - Show us Yours: Rhinos! (Aug 2012) EmptyThu Aug 02, 2012 9:04 am

My Schleich African black rhino family by the kopis of the Mara: [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Then the family moves to the marsh to cool off and drink: [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Then there is my new Safari White Rhino bull, the lawn mower of the savanna: [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] And washing down its cud with some water: [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Here are my other Rhino models...all, BTW, are for sale or trade: Third from the left is the Safari White Rhino calf (1998) and the other 3 all made in China. Maybe from Toobs--sorry I forget. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] The big one reminds me of the prehistoric rhino... [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Elros Alvar

Elros Alvar

Country/State : Spain

PostSubject: Re: Show us Yours: Rhinos! (Aug 2012)   rhinos - Show us Yours: Rhinos! (Aug 2012) EmptyThu Aug 02, 2012 9:05 am

Wow, the photos are very realistic Shocked
GOOD models Cool
congrtas cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
Sumo

Sumo

Country/State : Norway

PostSubject: Re: Show us Yours: Rhinos! (Aug 2012)   rhinos - Show us Yours: Rhinos! (Aug 2012) EmptyThu Aug 02, 2012 9:28 am

Oh, you say those are models - but are you sure your lawn isn't infested with North American Garden Rhinos*?

* - distant relatives of the North American House Hippo

SeanieP wrote:
And washing down its cud with some water: [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Fine, I'll be pedantic again... Rhinos aren't ruminants. Rolling Eyes Sorry, sorry. Embarassed
Gorgeous photo though!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
SeanieP

SeanieP

PostSubject: Re: Show us Yours: Rhinos! (Aug 2012)   rhinos - Show us Yours: Rhinos! (Aug 2012) EmptyThu Aug 02, 2012 9:41 am

But they do drink--I guess that was my main point! affraid lol!
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Show us Yours: Rhinos! (Aug 2012)   rhinos - Show us Yours: Rhinos! (Aug 2012) EmptyThu Aug 02, 2012 9:42 am

WONDERFUL pictures, Shawn cheers

Here are some of my favorites Very Happy
Safari Indian rhino :
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Papo rhino, the newer ones

Papo rhinoes, the old ones.

SeanieP

SeanieP

PostSubject: Re: Show us Yours: Rhinos! (Aug 2012)   rhinos - Show us Yours: Rhinos! (Aug 2012) EmptyThu Aug 02, 2012 9:49 am

Beautiful models Susanne--esp the indian rhino. I think Safari has done a great job with the Indian Rhino and the new White Rhino--among their best models. bounce
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Show us Yours: Rhinos! (Aug 2012)   rhinos - Show us Yours: Rhinos! (Aug 2012) EmptyThu Aug 02, 2012 10:40 am

Very beautiful pictures Shawn and Susanne! Very Happy
Susanne, aren't the old and new Papo rhino calves the same? scratch Wink

weaselfan93

Country/State : United States

PostSubject: Show us Yours: Rhinos! (Aug 2012)   rhinos - Show us Yours: Rhinos! (Aug 2012) EmptyThu Aug 02, 2012 11:48 am

glad we picked Rhinos. i love collecting them especially!
here is the whole group
my white rhinos
my black rhinos
My Indian (greater one-horned) rhino
Back to top Go down
scot(t)

scot(t)

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Show us Yours: Rhinos! (Aug 2012)   rhinos - Show us Yours: Rhinos! (Aug 2012) EmptyThu Aug 02, 2012 12:39 pm

Shawn, and Susanne and Lance: Great pictures and wonderful rhinos! I agree with Shawn above that the Safari Indian Rhinoceros and the newest White Rhino are some of the best figures by Safari.

Here is my current rhinoceros collection (I don't have a photo of the whole group together).

First, the Schleich Black Rhinoceros family:
I quite like the Schleich Rhinos. I love them actually. Really attractive figures.

Next, my Papo Rhinos: the Black Rhinoceros, which is a fabulous model, on the left and the old White Rhinoceros, on the right. I had believed that the Papo calf was a white rhino, but honestly, I don't really know to whom he belongs, poor fella.

Now, my Safari Rhinoceroses, a calf and the newest White Rhino. I think this Calf should technically be paired with the older Safari White Rhino (in Lance's pictures above), but I'm not sure. Once again, a Rhino calf is adrift.

And then my Indian Rhinoceroses (Schleich and Safari). As people have already pointed out, the Safari Indian Rhino is one of the finest animals models currently available. I love it.

Finally, a recent addition to my collection, and a figure I already treasure, the Starlux Black Rhino:

I'm really looking forward to seeing more collections! I love the plastic Britains Indian Rhino (but don't have it yet) and I'm hoping to see some other interesting vintage Rhinos on this thread.

Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: Show us Yours: Rhinos! (Aug 2012)   rhinos - Show us Yours: Rhinos! (Aug 2012) EmptyThu Aug 02, 2012 7:49 pm

SO many beautyful rhinoes cheers

Scott, your Starlux rhino is really a wooly rhino Very Happy
Item no FS40029 according to my leaflet study
CONGRATULATIONS, it is awesome drunken

Roger wrote:
Very beautiful pictures Shawn and Susanne! Very Happy

Thanks, Roger, yes, those two are the same mould, but the colours were changed to fit the new one. My pictures don`t show it very well Rolling Eyes
I`ll have to take a picture of them together Wink

HKHollinstone

HKHollinstone

Country/State : England, CUMBRIA

PostSubject: Re: Show us Yours: Rhinos! (Aug 2012)   rhinos - Show us Yours: Rhinos! (Aug 2012) EmptyThu Aug 02, 2012 7:52 pm

Gorgeous rhinos everyone and beautiful photos Shawn cheers
Scott I love your Starlux Rhino, he's fantastic cheers

Back to top Go down
http://hkhollinstone.weebly.com/
HKHollinstone

HKHollinstone

Country/State : England, CUMBRIA

PostSubject: Re: Show us Yours: Rhinos! (Aug 2012)   rhinos - Show us Yours: Rhinos! (Aug 2012) EmptyThu Aug 02, 2012 8:38 pm

Here are mine

African Black Rhinoceros
From left to right: Schleich, (two calves, Bullyland behind and Schleich in front) Bullyland deluxe, Schleich, Papo, Lineol and leonardo
Indian Rhinoceros
From left to Right: Safari ltd, Schleich and Britains

Back to top Go down
http://hkhollinstone.weebly.com/
scot(t)

scot(t)

PostSubject: Re: Show us Yours: Rhinos! (Aug 2012)   rhinos - Show us Yours: Rhinos! (Aug 2012) EmptyThu Aug 02, 2012 9:30 pm

Harriet, those are lovely pictures and I love the collection. The Britains are wonderful!! drunken I also like the Bullyland Dulexe a lot and love the Lineol! Marvelous collection!

Back to top Go down
scot(t)

scot(t)

PostSubject: Re: Show us Yours: Rhinos! (Aug 2012)   rhinos - Show us Yours: Rhinos! (Aug 2012) EmptyThu Aug 02, 2012 9:31 pm

HKHollinstone wrote:
Gorgeous rhinos everyone and beautiful photos Shawn cheers
Scott I love your Starlux Rhino, he's fantastic cheers

Thank you so much Harriet! Very kind of you to say!

SUSANNE wrote:
SO many beautyful rhinoes cheers

Scott, your Starlux rhino is really a wooly rhino Very Happy
Item no FS40029 according to my leaflet study
CONGRATULATIONS, it is awesome drunken

Susanne, thank you so much for that information! It is really helpful and explains the bizarre shape of the horns. I've had such a hard time tracking down information about Starlux. Do you have pictures or scans you could post of your leaflet? I would love to see them! What ever you can show would be wonderful!

In trying to identify the model, I found lots of confusing information. First, starlux made a WWF white rhinoceros in 1982 (which you can see on Christophe's page -- it is lovely). They also made an Indian Rhino in 1971, which I have found pictures of. However, there are two other rhinoceroses they made, in 1962 and 1967. I cannot find photos of these. I did find several photos of the Wooly Rhinoceros on the CollectorsQuest site, but although they are very similar to the model I have, they also all differ subtly from that model: (1) The tail is different, (2) the Wooly Rhino model has a tuft of hair along their backs (your picture I think) -- a tuft which is lacking from my model, (3) it is painted using red (rather than blue on mine) on its underbelly, and (4) the texture of the body is different: The models that are clearly identified as the Wooly Rhinos have squiggly lines on their body, which I took to represent hair. The one I have is pockmarked, which I took to represent the tough skin characteristic of modern Rhinos. Finally, the only Starlux Rhino I found that most closely resembles mine (same tail, no tuft of hair along back and same skin texture) is listed at Torben's site and he identified it just as 'Nashorn' (Rhinoceros). Similarly, at least one eBay listing gives a picture of my model and describes it as Black Rhino (or just Rhino).

All this led me to jump to the conclusion -- and I admit, it was a big jump Very Happy -- that Starlux had used a very very similar mold for both their Wooly Rhino and either their 1961 or 1967 Rhino (or both). But it was a guess and I just don't know. (Oh, I just remembered/discovered one last thing. The eBay seller I bought it from advertised it as model number 1715, which is, it turns out, the 1967 model. So while I am perfectly fine owning the Wooly Rhino, it seems the eBay seller may have misrepresented the figure -- unintentionally, I'm sure.) Can you tell I'm in "work avoidance" mode this week -- I have big projects I've been putting off -- and have been putting ridiculous amounts of time into posts on this forum? Terrible. I'm ashamed. Embarassed

Does anyone have pictures of the Other Starlux Rhinos? I'm really curious.

Thank you Susanne, once again, for pointing out the model type of my Rhino! I really appreciate it and I agree with you that it is an awesome figure regardless. sunny
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: Show us Yours: Rhinos! (Aug 2012)   rhinos - Show us Yours: Rhinos! (Aug 2012) EmptyThu Aug 02, 2012 9:59 pm

Scott , The leaflet of the Starlux prehistoric is here : [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The only other one that I have is this one about some of the farm models : [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I think Christophe is the expert, I hope he can give you some ansvers scratch

MartinH

MartinH

Country/State : Czech Republic

PostSubject: Re: Show us Yours: Rhinos! (Aug 2012)   rhinos - Show us Yours: Rhinos! (Aug 2012) EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 1:52 am

He are mine rhinos :)

https://www.martinhcollection.cz/
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Show us Yours: Rhinos! (Aug 2012)   rhinos - Show us Yours: Rhinos! (Aug 2012) EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 4:16 am

Wonderful rhinos here cheers cheers cheers

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
SeanieP

SeanieP

PostSubject: Re: Show us Yours: Rhinos! (Aug 2012)   rhinos - Show us Yours: Rhinos! (Aug 2012) EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 4:30 am

Great collections eveyone--I never knew there were so many out there and I love the rhino. I esp like the Bullyland Deluxe.

Harriet, I am suprised you do not have any white rhinos! Shocked
Back to top Go down
Seijun

Seijun

Country/State : USA, OR

PostSubject: Re: Show us Yours: Rhinos! (Aug 2012)   rhinos - Show us Yours: Rhinos! (Aug 2012) EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 5:41 am

Regarding Starlux:
I have the Starlux prehistoric rhino. The tail is different, and the figure has brown fur. I don't know what species Scot's figure is intended to represent (if it is supposed to be a modern-day rhino, or a different prehistoric one), but I haven't seen any catalogs for the Starlux prehistoric line which include Scot's version.
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: Show us Yours: Rhinos! (Aug 2012)   rhinos - Show us Yours: Rhinos! (Aug 2012) EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 6:25 am

Roger wrote:

Here they are, - an example of Papo`s famous recycling of moulds Laughing Laughing

75senta75

75senta75

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Show us Yours: Rhinos! (Aug 2012)   rhinos - Show us Yours: Rhinos! (Aug 2012) EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 6:37 am

Great topic, so much nice rhinos. Here are mine.

From left to right you see Plaho, Bullyland, Schleich, one Papo and many Bullylands again.
The "red one" in front is from Schleich classics, the black, very little one in front is Schleich mini, the other little one is Bullyland mirco.

Bullyland

Bullyland

Bullyland deluxe

Bullyland Java Rhino with calf and an photo from catalog 2004

Bullyland deluxe again...

On the left is Papo, the others are from Schleich

Papo on the left, rest is from Schleich.

Little red rhino is Schleich classics, black one is Schleich mini and other one behind black Schleich mini is Bully micro.

Two rhinos from VEB Plaho on the left, other side rhino from Bullyland.

And some Wooly Rhinos from Bullyland

scot(t)

PostSubject: Re: Show us Yours: Rhinos! (Aug 2012)   rhinos - Show us Yours: Rhinos! (Aug 2012) EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 7:17 am

SUSANNE wrote:
Scott , The leaflet of the Starlux prehistoric is here : [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The only other one that I have is this one about some of the farm models : [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I think Christophe is the expert, I hope he can give you some ansvers scratch

Thank you very much for the links Susanne! The leaflets are beautiful. I grabbed all the images even though I don't collect prehistorical animals. (Well, until now. Very Happy )

I'm sure Christophe will have some useful information when he gets back.

Last edited by scot(t) on Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: Show us Yours: Rhinos! (Aug 2012)   rhinos - Show us Yours: Rhinos! (Aug 2012) EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 7:22 am

WOW! Yvette, you have SO many bullylands, - also the Indian rhinoes I have been looking for in vain for AGES Shocked

That catalogue, - is it a dealer`s catalogue ? bounce bounce

scot(t)

scot(t)

PostSubject: Re: Show us Yours: Rhinos! (Aug 2012)   rhinos - Show us Yours: Rhinos! (Aug 2012) EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 7:28 am

Wow, so many great Rhino pictures!!

I agree with Shawn about the Bullyland deluxe. It is fast becoming a favorite of mine, after seeing it in Harriet's, Martin's, and Yvette's pictures (I apologize if I'm forgetting anyone.)

Harriet, would it be possible to see a picture of the Lineol by itself? (You probably have one on your blog; I should look there first I guess. UPDATE: I just went and re-discovered the post on your restoring that model. You did such a wonderful job!! It looks amazing!)

Martin, great pictures. I love the Nayab too. And of course I'm fascinated by the big Safar Rhino (WW?).

Susanne, thank you for the pictures of the Papos! I now understand why my Papo adult white Rhino and Papo white Rhino calf are different colors. Seriously, that had confused me.

Yvette, lovely collection! I'm still looking at the pictures. I like the Bullylands.

Last edited by scot(t) on Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
scot(t)

scot(t)

PostSubject: Re: Show us Yours: Rhinos! (Aug 2012)   rhinos - Show us Yours: Rhinos! (Aug 2012) EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 7:34 am

Seijun wrote:
Regarding Starlux:
I have the Starlux prehistoric rhino. The tail is different, and the figure has brown fur. I don't know what species Scot's figure is intended to represent (if it is supposed to be a modern-day rhino, or a different prehistoric one), but I haven't seen any catalogs for the Starlux prehistoric line which include Scot's version.

I just saw this. Thank you Seijun! This is helpful.

(There's so little information out there about the old 1960's/1970's starlux models. It's frustrating.)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Show us Yours: Rhinos! (Aug 2012)   rhinos - Show us Yours: Rhinos! (Aug 2012) Empty

Back to top Go down

Show us Yours: Rhinos! (Aug 2012)
Page 1 of 14Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 7 ... 14  Next