Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy animal WikiToy animal Wiki  HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Dictionary  Animal Toy forum  
Very Happy The topic "Animals where you live" won the SUY for December" Very Happy

Share | 

Latest Additions and Notables (Sc0tt)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
SUSANNE
Admin

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Latest Additions and Notables (Sc0tt)   Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:27 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:

I asked myself the same questions four years ago and until now the solution is very different from what I imagine first. Most of the time, when Camille found an animal, or have one as a gift, she asked us to put it on a display Laughing. For her, animals are daddy's toys. Even if she has a full box of animals, she plays with a few sometimes but she prefers to play with "her own toys" so... Don't be afraid Wink

What a wonderful girl, Camille is !!! Very Happy

I am sure, Christophe is right !
Children are smarter than you may think. Wink

Some people ( don`t look at me Embarassed ) are able to teach their dogs to distinguish between their own toys and the parents´ toys, so of course children can learn it, too Laughing

I think that the trick is to be very clear about the message, just as you would be if it was precious, antique china ( Or knives, or matches).
Show how fine they are, and that Dad likes them very much, so they are not play-things at all....

bojan

Country/State : slovenia

PostSubject: Re: Latest Additions and Notables (Sc0tt)   Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:06 am

Wow! I like the comparison photos of the wolverines. The walking pose of Safari is really awesome, altough his "fingernails" might need a manicure (the same goes for the new Papo Grizzly) Razz

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Latest Additions and Notables (Sc0tt)   Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:16 am

Great newcomers Scott!!! Especially the wolverines are phantastic!! cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Latest Additions and Notables (Sc0tt)   Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:10 am

Thank you Christophe and Susanne, for the great advice!

Thanks Bojan and Andreas, for the comments!
Back to top Go down
HKHollinstone

Country/State : England, CUMBRIA

PostSubject: Re: Latest Additions and Notables (Sc0tt)   Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:41 am

Thank you Ken, Harriet, Susanne, and Christophe!

How will you keep him from wanting all your others figurines too?

That is a great question and one that has vexed us both (me and his mom). I may take many of the figures to my office (along with one of the glass vitrines that we also don't want a toddler crashing into). And probably many will be packed away. However, some will end up as toys; I just don't know which ones and how the selection process with work. Some (the recent Schleich Polar Bear, for example) I've earmarked for the munchkin because I just don't treasure them. But I also want him to have some cool toys and not just cast-offs. So it's a dilemma.

Heck this would be an interesting thread topic (though it might have limited appeal): How do you decide which figures end up in your collection and which ones end up as your children's (or niece's or nephew's or godchild's, and so on) toys. I seem to remember that this is something that Anna, and Joan, and Roger, among others, have thought about.

Good idea, you will still have plenty for him to play with I'm sure;) I'm going to have the same problem with my niece, she loves animals as much as l and already loves playing with her playmobil farm.

Back to top Go down
http://hkhollinstone.weebly.com/
scot(t)

PostSubject: Re: Latest Additions and Notables (Sc0tt)   Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:09 am

Good idea, you will still have plenty for him to play with I'm sure;) I'm going to have the same problem with my niece, she loves animals as much as l and already loves playing with her playmobil farm.

I have, on occasion, even got duplicates of certain figures with the munchkin in mind -- figures that I both want a clean copy of, but also want him to be able to play with it, since it is so cool. (For example, the CollectA Striped Hyena.) But in general, I can't afford to duplicate more than a couple figures. I think I'm probably going to end up choosing a lot of figures that I'm happy with him destroying. At the same time, as he becomes older, he can play with other more precious models. Christophe makes a good point about how many children are very capable of handling objects with care, even when playing. (I know I did. I still have every single gun and accessory that came with the dozens of star wars action figures I got when I was 9 years old, back in the late 1970's. Some of them I didn't even take out of the packages. That's a little extreme though.)

Harriet, it must be a lot of fun to show off your collection to your niece. My niece and nephew love visiting for exactly that reason; they love my animals.

Back to top Go down
Dr.Narayanan

Country/State : India

PostSubject: Re: Latest Additions and Notables (Sc0tt)   Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:54 am

Scott , ur childhood reminds me very much of mine . I too have most of my childhood animals very safely preserved till date . I have never allowed any one to touch my collections and that legacy continues even today . Laughing

Of course , I am very very possessive about my collections but even more than that , I respect my collections unbelievably Very Happy
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Latest Additions and Notables (Sc0tt)   Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:38 am

Me too, and most of my very brittle old Reislers I got whan I was 5 years old .
Well, My little nieces got hold of them at a time, but that is another story Sad

scot(t)

PostSubject: Re: Latest Additions and Notables (Sc0tt)   Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:53 am

Thank you Dr.Narayanan and Susanne, for your comments! It is always really interesting for me to hear about other forum members' collecting styles and their stories.

I also wanted to post a couple pictures of some recent acquisitions. The two Kitan are nothing new and several people, including Anna and Christophe, have posted some lovely [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]. Nevertheless, here are the Grizzly and the Macaque. They are really beautiful, especially in person. I was pleasantly surprised at the level of detail they were able to achieve using a plastic that is slightly softer the hard plastic that Kaiyodo typically uses. The models also are solid (or seem to be) and have some heft to them, despite being fairly small (compared to Schleich and Safari models, for example).

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I also received the Kaiyodo Yutyrannus, which I completely love. It's a feathered dinosaur, to which I am very partial. (Sorry you lovers of naked scales, feathers are the wave of the future!) And like the Kitan, perhaps even more so, it is made of a slightly softer plastic, with some "give" to it. Very unlike the plastic that Kaiyodo has typically used. (Of course, I didn't discover this until after putting it together extremely gingerly so as not to break it.)

Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Latest Additions and Notables (Sc0tt)   Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:59 am

Three true gems cheers
And wonderful photoes, too !

Good that junior still leaves you time for collecting and for sharing with us Very Happy 

scot(t)

PostSubject: Re: Latest Additions and Notables (Sc0tt)   Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:02 am

Thank you so much Susanne! (Yes, he's asleep. I should be too and will pay for it dearly in a couple hours. eesh.)
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Latest Additions and Notables (Sc0tt)   Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:08 pm

Congratulation Scott cheers  I also have this tiny but really good Yutyrannus and I agree absolutely with you Wink 

koniminiatures

Country/State : Finland

PostSubject: Re: Latest Additions and Notables (Sc0tt)   Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:52 pm

Ooh, that Yutyrannus! (And that bear! And that macaque!) These are all top-notch models, for sure. Congratulations on excellent arrivals, and your graceful acceptance of the feathery future of the past - I wish I, too, and my aesthetics could swallow all that down (see what I did? See what I did?) without a cough or hiccup. The utterly cool look of that Yutyrannus surely helps, though.

I think I know the kind of plastic you speak of, too. Kaiyodo do use it on occasion, even in their older models; I have an Animatales Pets Series 3 (so from 2002) Poodle and St. Bernhard who are solid and made out of that Kitan type of softer plastic. I find it quite pleasing, and it does seem to hide the puzzle lines better.

Lea K.  |  [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  | [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] | [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
http://koni.weebly.com/
sauroid

Country/State : usa

PostSubject: Re: Latest Additions and Notables (Sc0tt)   Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:56 pm

very very nice new adds Scott. i esp. love the Yutyrannus.
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Latest Additions and Notables (Sc0tt)   Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:57 pm

I will say that that bear is absolutely perfection! In my opinion, its better than the Papo one even other than the fact that it has a seam on the neck. But it truly is a wonderful model. The monkey is so cute, and the dino is a gem also. Congrats!
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Latest Additions and Notables (Sc0tt)   Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:01 pm

Dino collectors are very interesting people, there are alot that are horrified when dinosaur hands are not pronated, when some theropods have a somewhat vertical stance, etc., questioning the outdated knowledge of their designers. Then, most of them, keep loving them with scales. Laughing
Of course I am not criticizing anyone because taste is free but criticism should be coherent. Very Happy
Congratulations, all of them are very nice. Very Happy

~ Rogério [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
scot(t)

PostSubject: Re: Latest Additions and Notables (Sc0tt)   Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:55 am

Thank you Christophe, Lea, sauroid, Paige, and Roger, for your comments! (Sorry I haven't said so sooner. It turns out that this thread doesn't show up on my 'view posts since last visit' group, even when I select it. Oh well.)

Congratulations on excellent arrivals, and your graceful acceptance of the feathery future of the past - I wish I, too, and my aesthetics could swallow all that down (see what I did? See what I did?) without a cough or hiccup. The utterly cool look of that Yutyrannus surely helps, though.

Laughing Laughing I can't get enough of feathery dinosaurs, they are my absolute favorite. The feathered Dromaeosaurs especially...the scare the hell out of me.

I think I know the kind of plastic you speak of, too. Kaiyodo do use it on occasion, even in their older models;[...] I find it quite pleasing, and it does seem to hide the puzzle lines better.

It does hide those lines! I really like it too. I just got a "Natural Monuments" figure and it turns out to be that softer plastic. I was very happy.

I will say that that bear is absolutely perfection! In my opinion, its better than the Papo one even other than the fact that it has a seam on the neck.

Thanks Paige! I agree; I like the Kitan bear even better than the Papo as well.

Dino collectors are very interesting people, there are alot that are horrified when dinosaur hands are not pronated, when some theropods have a somewhat vertical stance, etc., questioning the outdated knowledge of their designers. Then, most of them, keep loving them with scales. Laughing

I know! I've had exactly the reaction you describe Roger: I find it surprising how unsettling dinosaur enthusiasts find feathers when they are so particular about everything else.

Embrace the feathers!!

(painting by john conway)
Back to top Go down
Katty

Country/State : New Zealand

PostSubject: Re: Latest Additions and Notables (Sc0tt)   Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:57 am

Wow that painting is awesome!

Country/State : England, CUMBRIA

PostSubject: Re: Latest Additions and Notables (Sc0tt)   Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:43 am

ah, that bear is so lovely, l will get him eventually! Congratulations Scott, they're really fantastic !

Back to top Go down
http://hkhollinstone.weebly.com/
koniminiatures

Country/State : Finland

PostSubject: Re: Latest Additions and Notables (Sc0tt)   Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:56 pm

Adding little of value here, but:
I have to retcon myself a bit, on my above-stated slight apprehension of the feathers - apparently it was merely a case of lacking imagination. I'd only seen terrible reconstructions of feathered dinosaurs and somehow couldn't conceive of anything more functional and less garish. I have now taken a stroll around this mister Conway's galleries and can no longer muster any spite for the notion of feathers on dinos. Very Happy Plus, I now covet that Yutyrannus of yours twice as badly.

Lea K.  |  [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  | [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] | [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
http://koni.weebly.com/
scot(t)

PostSubject: Re: Latest Additions and Notables (Sc0tt)   Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:49 pm

ah, that bear is so lovely, l will get him eventually!  Congratulations Scott, they're really fantastic !

Thank you so much Harriet! Definitely get the bear; it is excellent.

Wow that painting is awesome!

I know, right? It's just so lovely. I could look at it all day.

Adding little of value here, but:
I have to retcon myself a bit, on my above-stated slight apprehension of the feathers - apparently it was merely a case of lacking imagination. I'd only seen terrible reconstructions of feathered dinosaurs and somehow couldn't conceive of anything more functional and less garish. I have now taken a stroll around this mister Conway's galleries and can no longer muster any spite for the notion of feathers on dinos. Very Happy Plus, I now covet that Yutyrannus of yours twice as badly.

I'm so glad Lea! Conway's work is really lovely. I'm looking forward to picking up the recently published [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] book. You may also like the work of [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] (links to their deviantArt paleo pages). My favorite paleoartist ever is Douglas Henderson, but I don't know if he's on the fuzzy dinosaur bandwagon (yet).

A Utahraptor by Heaston:

And a troodontid (Talos sampsoni) by Willoughby:

(this is my 2001st post. Yikes!)
Back to top Go down
landrover

Country/State : colombia

PostSubject: Re: Latest Additions and Notables (Sc0tt)   Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:03 pm

Beautiful....is an dream have one animal similar in our collections...beautiful Applause Applause Applause 

thanks scot(t)

Roger
Admin

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Latest Additions and Notables (Sc0tt)   Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:55 am

Thanks Scott for all these feathered and beautiful draws.
The day will come when the big dinosaurs will be represented in documentaries clucking like chickens but with a vintage accent! Laughing Wink

~ Rogério [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
scot(t)

PostSubject: Re: Latest Additions and Notables (Sc0tt)   Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:47 pm

Thanks Scott for all these feathered and beautiful draws.
The day will come when the big dinosaurs will be represented in documentaries clucking like chickens but with a vintage accent! LaughingWink
Roger I just saw this! (Made me laugh very much. Laughing Laughing Laughing )
Back to top Go down
scot(t)

PostSubject: Re: Latest Additions and Notables (Sc0tt)   Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:07 pm

I've been collecting lots of dinosaurs more recently. The idea is that they will be for my son when he's old enough to play with them. (We'll see how that goes. I've already let him slobber on quite a few of them, so I don't anticipate getting cold feet.) However, I couldn't resist picking up some Kaiyodo dinosaur figures for myself (as they are more delicate) and of course I haven't slowed down collecting extant animals. Papo's models for 2013 are finally beginning to trickle into the U.S. (Schleich seems mostly done trotting out their 2013 line and Safari's line was pretty paltry. Other than some outrageously priced ebay listings, I've seen neither hide nor hair of any of the CollectA or Mojo Fun figures I've been eagerly anticipating. O Saola, o Markhor! Gaur and Honeybadger! Where art thou??) In the meantime, here are some of my recent acquisitions by Papo and Kaiyodo.

(I did receive Anna's Transcaspian Urial Ram and the Male Nyala -- the latter to keep my Female Nyala by Harriet company. They are by far my most treasured recent additions. But I haven't had a chance to take photos of them that are worthy of their beauty. So I'll postpone pictures of them until then.)

To start, here is the recent Kaiyodo Tyrannosaurus rex skeleton and the older Deinonychus skeleton. (I also recently picked up the Sinosauropteryx and the Oviraptor, both of which are absolutely lovely! But, again, I don't yet have good pictures of either.)

As I eagerly await the release of the Papo Tigress, the Scottish Terrier and Grizzly Bear have helped to tide me over. I've very happy with both. Papo does very solid work. It's easy to take Papo's work for granted, but I don't think any of the "big five" (Schleich, Papo, Safari, CollectA, or Mojo) makes dogs as impressively as Papo. And the Grizzly is just grand.

Thank you for looking!

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Latest Additions and Notables (Sc0tt)   Today at 3:23 am

Back to top Go down

Latest Additions and Notables (Sc0tt)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 6 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next