Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Did You Ever Think You Were Alone In This Hobby?

Go down 
+38
Bowhead Whale
Roger
LeeAnn
Iuri97
NightLioness
Wilorvise
Anne from Norway
Komodo Dragon
Ponylover2606
GoldEagle
Tove
Chris Sweetman
Carola
Elros Alvar
∴Worlds∴in∴Miniature∴
Sheepish
spikesilkenwolf
Duck-Anch-Amun
Tiermann
Gulogulo76
MartinH
Kristie
Dr.Narayanan
Sergey
Tylosaurus
tyrantqueen
Loridena
krista
Ana
HKHollinstone
Metallisuchus
Saarlooswolfhound
Kikimalou
SUSANNE
Sumo
widukind
Cyhyraeth
K907
42 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Dr.Narayanan

Dr.Narayanan

Country/State : India

Did You Ever Think You Were Alone  In This Hobby? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Did You Ever Think You Were Alone In This Hobby?   Did You Ever Think You Were Alone  In This Hobby? - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 12, 2012 2:55 am

Yeah Susanne and Kristie , we collectors are all like minded persons.

I strongly feel that persons who have artistic bent of mind and elite taste [ inherent ability to enjoy the artistic nuances of sculpts , workmanship ] , who always enjoy and respect nature , who live in a different level away from the usual interests like clothes , electronic gadgets , accessories and who have entirely unique taste in life can alone become genuine collectors .

I would rather put it this way - Genuine collectors are the ones with PASSION and OBSESSION , with no restriction and confusion Laughing Laughing Laughing

Of course, there are people with thoughts of buying and selling the collections . To me , they definitely are commercial people and no genuine collectors . And I am sure the passion is absent in them .
Back to top Go down
MartinH

MartinH

Country/State : Czech Republic

PostSubject: Re: Did You Ever Think You Were Alone In This Hobby?   Did You Ever Think You Were Alone  In This Hobby? - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 12, 2012 5:42 am

Always... But than I found you guys and I discover I´m not the only one "fool" on this planet Laughing

https://www.martinhcollection.cz/
Gulogulo76

Gulogulo76

Country/State : Oklahoma, USA

PostSubject: Re: Did You Ever Think You Were Alone In This Hobby?   Did You Ever Think You Were Alone  In This Hobby? - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 13, 2012 2:02 am

I realize I'm a newbie here, but no, I have never felt odd or strange collecting my animals. I've collected animals since I was a little boy, and saw no need to stop as I grew older. The toy stores I frequent know me by name (Kiddlestix Toys in Tulsa Oklahoma) and know why I collect. I had one or two friends make fun of me or wonder whhhhyyyy I was so obsessed with collecting animals and Star Wars (Ewoks!!) and Hobbits, but I simply tell them : "Can you run out and fetch me a REAL bengal tiger or a wolverine or a grizz?...No? Well, okay then, I'll just have to buy THIS toy one instead! That's why!" LOLOLOL Very Happy Razz Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing So there you go. I AM glad that I've made new friends on this forum from alll over our little world who collect animals like I do. It's nice to have new friends with awesome personalities and intrests!
Back to top Go down
MartinH

MartinH

Country/State : Czech Republic

PostSubject: Re: Did You Ever Think You Were Alone In This Hobby?   Did You Ever Think You Were Alone  In This Hobby? - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 13, 2012 7:58 am

Sad(o)): Sad(o)): Sad(o)):

https://www.martinhcollection.cz/
Sergey

Sergey

Country/State : S. - Petersburg, Russia

PostSubject: Re: Did You Ever Think You Were Alone In This Hobby?   Did You Ever Think You Were Alone  In This Hobby? - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 13, 2012 7:59 pm

Gulogulo76 wrote:
I realize I'm a newbie here, but no, I have never felt odd or strange collecting my animals. I've collected animals since I was a little boy, and saw no need to stop as I grew older. The toy stores I frequent know me by name (Kiddlestix Toys in Tulsa Oklahoma) and know why I collect. I had one or two friends make fun of me or wonder whhhhyyyy I was so obsessed with collecting animals and Star Wars (Ewoks!!) and Hobbits, but I simply tell them : "Can you run out and fetch me a REAL bengal tiger or a wolverine or a grizz?...No? Well, okay then, I'll just have to buy THIS toy one instead! That's why!" LOLOLOL Very Happy Razz Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing So there you go. I AM glad that I've made new friends on this forum from alll over our little world who collect animals like I do. It's nice to have new friends with awesome personalities and intrests!

Sad(o)): Sad(o)): Sad(o)): Sad(o)): Sad(o)): Sad(o)): cheers

Tiermann

Country/State : Oregon, USA

PostSubject: Re: Did You Ever Think You Were Alone In This Hobby?   Did You Ever Think You Were Alone  In This Hobby? - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 17, 2012 3:26 am

A very interesting topic, thanks for starting it. I've always known people who collect things, but I have been the only one to have toy animals. It was great to start finding others who enjoy them too. I know other people in person who collect Playmobil like I do but not animals in general.

Animobil.info Playmobil Animals
Back to top Go down
http://www.animobil.info
Duck-Anch-Amun

Country/State : Luxembourg

PostSubject: Re: Did You Ever Think You Were Alone In This Hobby?   Did You Ever Think You Were Alone  In This Hobby? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 10, 2013 4:25 pm

I always thaught I´m the only one with this hobby :O I collected as a child and later I bought only species that I know that I don´t have them. With the internet, I learned that there are more collectors. I bought from ebay and co. and so I found people with the same hobby Wink But my parents always thaught I´m to old for such a thing - cause I loved to show my animals in zoo-like dioramas.
Than I found this forum and now I know: I´m not the only and I´m even not the craziest. Razz Now I only collect and don´t built zoos with my animals anymore, but I still love the hobby :)
Back to top Go down
spikesilkenwolf

spikesilkenwolf

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Did You Ever Think You Were Alone In This Hobby?   Did You Ever Think You Were Alone  In This Hobby? - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 15, 2013 12:41 pm

Oh yes, but really I did not care back then!! Razz
Back to top Go down
http://laceystinyranch.webs.com/index.htm
Sheepish

Sheepish

Country/State : USA / Indiana

PostSubject: Re: Did You Ever Think You Were Alone In This Hobby?   Did You Ever Think You Were Alone  In This Hobby? - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 15, 2013 2:08 pm

I don't think anyone around me thought it was a legit hobby. I try to explain it to people, especially the model horses that fill my office at work, and no one really gets it. Some people are cool and are happy if it makes me happy, some people don't care, and some people I know look down on it and me, they think I'm wasting my time. I'm happy that the internet makes it easy to find others who share my interests, or I might not enjoy my collection as much as I should.
Back to top Go down
∴Worlds∴in∴Miniature∴

∴Worlds∴in∴Miniature∴

Country/State : Switzerland

PostSubject: Re: Did You Ever Think You Were Alone In This Hobby?   Did You Ever Think You Were Alone  In This Hobby? - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 02, 2013 10:43 am

Interesting discussion. I've really enjoyed reading the answers so far.

I started "collecting" animal and dinosaur replicas as a little child: plastic animals were my favourite toys and I still have most of my childhood figures. So many - but also extremely cheap.

It was only in the early 90s that I started acquiring Schleichs and Safaris - their quality was much more impressive but they were so expensive, so I coulnd't afford many. Eventually by the end of the 90s I was actively collecting certain typesof models (horses, dogs, wolves, etc).

Although this community is the first chance I've had to interact with fellow collectors, I've always suspected there must be other people interested in these figures, because they are so expensive and detailed that they're more than just toys for little children to play with.

I don't keep my collection a secret, but I don't really advertise it either. If someone gets into my study and notices it, I don't deny I enjoy collecting figures, but I don't randomly show it to people either.

Back to top Go down
Elros Alvar

Elros Alvar

Country/State : Spain

PostSubject: Re: Did You Ever Think You Were Alone In This Hobby?   Did You Ever Think You Were Alone  In This Hobby? - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 02, 2013 10:51 am

K907 wrote:
I did because I didn't know anyone who collected plastic animals. My mom and other people thought what I did was something for kids.

When I was more young some of my friends collect animals and knights of schleich papo.. but now Im Alone here Laughing Laughing
Also my mom think that, but also that my figures are so good and beautiful, but I have a lot Laughing Laughing

Look my Photo-Gallery On Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/125764988@N04/
*Álvaro*
Back to top Go down
Carola

Carola

Country/State : Denmark

PostSubject: Re: Did You Ever Think You Were Alone In This Hobby?   Did You Ever Think You Were Alone  In This Hobby? - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 04, 2013 9:05 am

Like several of you have mentioned, this is a very intersting thread, and the answers have been very interesting to read.

I think being able to appreciate the beauty, quality, the artwork and what these figurines represent, their true life nature rolemodels, is somewhat a kind of intelligence. It tells of empathic skills. And it's a way of taking care of ourselves, since this passion, brings peace and joy to our minds, and yes, keeps us healthy and in touch with the beauty which also is in this world. A beauty which isn't manmade.. Yea, I do know most pets are domesticated... But we never invented the original animal. The lil' animal replicas reminds us, that there's more to this world, than what the human society dictates.

flower
Back to top Go down
http://www.carolafunder.dk
Chris Sweetman

Chris Sweetman

Country/State : Nottinghamshire England

PostSubject: Re: Did You Ever Think You Were Alone In This Hobby?   Did You Ever Think You Were Alone  In This Hobby? - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 07, 2013 9:05 pm

Hi K907

In answering your question - no.

In Britain there is an established collecting network based on what we call "Toy Fairs". Here one can see other collectors and speak to dealers.

A few years ago I meet Nick and Joy at one toy fair and quickly there was a bond. They sold Britains animal figures and Nick was very knowledgable about Britains animal figure production. I bought many animals from them which included the black panther and brown bear cub standing.

To find out what goes on in a toy fair see here:

http://www.bpfairs.com/

widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Did You Ever Think You Were Alone In This Hobby?   Did You Ever Think You Were Alone  In This Hobby? - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 08, 2013 8:01 am

Chris Sweetman wrote:
Hi K907

In answering your question - no.

In Britain there is an established collecting network based on what we call "Toy Fairs". Here one can see other collectors and speak to dealers.

A few years ago I meet Nick and Joy at one toy fair and quickly there was a bond. They sold Britains animal figures and Nick was very knowledgable about Britains animal figure production. I bought many animals from them which included the black panther and brown bear cub standing.

Phantastic, i could imagine it is like a paradies. Are many animal figurines collectors there?

STS members can merge Very Happy

sunny Andreas sunny
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Did You Ever Think You Were Alone In This Hobby?   Did You Ever Think You Were Alone  In This Hobby? - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 08, 2013 8:26 am

Carola wrote:

.......is somewhat a kind of intelligence. It tells of empathic skills.

flower

cheers cheers bounce Sad(o)): Sad(o)): cheers

Carola

Carola

PostSubject: Re: Did You Ever Think You Were Alone In This Hobby?   Did You Ever Think You Were Alone  In This Hobby? - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 08, 2013 6:18 pm

SUSANNE wrote:
Carola wrote:

.......is somewhat a kind of intelligence. It tells of empathic skills.

flower

cheers cheers bounce Sad(o)): Sad(o)): cheers

Embarassed cheers Cool
Back to top Go down
Chris Sweetman

Chris Sweetman

Country/State : Nottinghamshire England

PostSubject: Re: Did You Ever Think You Were Alone In This Hobby?   Did You Ever Think You Were Alone  In This Hobby? - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 08, 2013 8:03 pm

widukind wrote:
Chris Sweetman wrote:
Hi K907

Phantastic, i could imagine it is like a paradies. Are many animal figurines collectors there?

Hi Andreas

I cannot say how many collectors would be there but at the big toy fairs there are lots of traders selling animal figures.

There are shows specifically for plastic figures and animals:

http://plasticwarrioreditor.blogspot.co.uk/

widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Did You Ever Think You Were Alone In This Hobby?   Did You Ever Think You Were Alone  In This Hobby? - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 09, 2013 7:50 am

Chris Sweetman wrote:
widukind wrote:
Chris Sweetman wrote:
Hi K907

Hi Andreas

I cannot say how many collectors would be there but at the big toy fairs there are lots of traders selling animal figures.

There are shows specifically for plastic figures and animals:

http://plasticwarrioreditor.blogspot.co.uk/

cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers

STS members can merge Very Happy

sunny Andreas sunny
Back to top Go down
Tove

Country/State : Norway

PostSubject: Re: Did You Ever Think You Were Alone In This Hobby?   Did You Ever Think You Were Alone  In This Hobby? - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 05, 2013 9:09 am

Carola wrote:
Like several of you have mentioned, this is a very intersting thread, and the answers have been very interesting to read.

I think being able to appreciate the beauty, quality, the artwork and what these figurines represent, their true life nature rolemodels, is somewhat a kind of intelligence. It tells of empathic skills. And it's a way of taking care of ourselves, since this passion, brings peace and joy to our minds, and yes, keeps us healthy and in touch with the beauty which also is in this world. A beauty which isn't manmade.. Yea, I do know most pets are domesticated... But we never invented the original animal. The lil' animal replicas reminds us, that there's more to this world, than what the human society dictates.

flower

I have thought I was the only grown up woman to collect "toy figures". Rolling Eyes

Collecting things (train models, car models etc) is something men (big children) are allowed to do. Very Happy (I hope I do not annoy anyone, I love big children I love you) My husband collect train models, cars and people in HO scale and he has a really big collection. He started when he was 12 years. I had to find something to collect before it was too late, and Schleich figures is perfect for me. bounce bounce

I think about collecting these figures the same way as Carola do. Thank you, Carola. flower

Carola: You have made a really nice painting of "The princess of 2013 Schleich horses". cheers
Back to top Go down
GoldEagle

GoldEagle

Country/State : United States/Minnesota

PostSubject: Re: Did You Ever Think You Were Alone In This Hobby?   Did You Ever Think You Were Alone  In This Hobby? - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 06, 2013 1:27 pm

Oh Yes! For the longest time I thought maybe no one was as crazy as me. Very Happy

None of my friends or family collect animal figures and I have even been ridiculed and mocked by a few for having such a "pointless, stupid collection that isn't worth anything."

Of course I know that isn't true, but it still hurt a little. It's also a bit embarrassing to shop for animal figures in stores as I am often crowded by parents with their (sometimes rude and pushy) children who give me funny looks, because they think it odd that a 20 year old single, childless lady would have interest in such childish toys. One time when I ordered some schleich online, the seller sent a note with the package that said "Hope your children enjoy their new toys". My face was so red.

But then I started seeing animal toy forums, I saw laughing giraffe first but it seemed all the topics we old and not being updated, then I found STS forum, at first I just lurked and read the info, then I decided to get an account to see pictures and finally I got brave enough to start posting and sharing my collection. I have never looked back, it is now so much more fun to collect now! And best part is, I know I am not alone in this hobby! cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
Carola

Carola

PostSubject: Re: Did You Ever Think You Were Alone In This Hobby?   Did You Ever Think You Were Alone  In This Hobby? - Page 2 EmptyWed May 01, 2013 2:45 am

Tove wrote:
I think about collecting these figures the same way as Carola do. Thank you, Carola. flower

Carola: You have made a really nice painting of "The princess of 2013 Schleich horses". cheers

I'm happy to hear cheers And thank you, yes, I've made several Princess drawings by now Razz
Back to top Go down
Tove

Country/State : Norway

PostSubject: Re: Did You Ever Think You Were Alone In This Hobby?   Did You Ever Think You Were Alone  In This Hobby? - Page 2 EmptySat May 04, 2013 9:41 am

Carola wrote:
yes, I've made several Princess drawings by now Razz

They are all very nice. Yoy have shown 3 different in your avatar, I think. :)
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Did You Ever Think You Were Alone In This Hobby?   Did You Ever Think You Were Alone  In This Hobby? - Page 2 EmptySat May 04, 2013 9:49 am

Tove wrote:
Carola wrote:

Sad(o)): Sad(o)): Sad(o)): Sad(o)):

Carola

Carola

PostSubject: Re: Did You Ever Think You Were Alone In This Hobby?   Did You Ever Think You Were Alone  In This Hobby? - Page 2 EmptyMon May 06, 2013 2:45 am

SUSANNE wrote:
Tove wrote:
Carola wrote:

Sad(o)): Sad(o)): Sad(o)): Sad(o)):

Thank you Susanne, and well spottet Tove Wink
Back to top Go down
Ponylover2606

Ponylover2606

Country/State : Australia

PostSubject: Re: Did You Ever Think You Were Alone In This Hobby?   Did You Ever Think You Were Alone  In This Hobby? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 20, 2013 3:47 am

Sure did. tongue but then I found someone (used to be my friend silent) who collected as well. I cant really say collected but she just bought what she saw. which can be sometimes annoying because you ask 'have you seen the new 2013 fell pony mare?! she is gorgeous!' and she would answer in 'what?'. And then I would feel a bit too obsessed knowing every single breed there is...

so then I thought 'maybe there is more people' so I jumped on my handy youtube account, amazed there was more than I thought.

But, as many people would have been in this situation before, you go past the comments 'grow up they are toys!' (from my mum by the way) and I never told anyone. Thank goodness I came past this site with out it... well I probably would have stopped collecting. Embarassed

Any way thanks for starting this thread it was really interesting! Sad(o)):
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Did You Ever Think You Were Alone In This Hobby?   Did You Ever Think You Were Alone  In This Hobby? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Did You Ever Think You Were Alone In This Hobby?
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next