Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

CollectA 2013 Photo: Przewalski Stallion

Go down 
+22
Tupolew Tu-154
HKHollinstone
SyLoBe
ken yeo
ezhilan
scot(t)
Kikimalou
bojan
black unicorn
Cyhyraeth
skysthelimit
widukind
SommoDracorex
Sergey
PeGe
Roger
donny ong
Silver Unicornis
SUSANNE
Ana
MartinH
Numa
26 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
donny ong

Country/State : indonesia

CollectA 2013 Photo:  Przewalski Stallion - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: CollectA 2013 Photo: Przewalski Stallion   CollectA 2013 Photo:  Przewalski Stallion - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 10, 2012 1:42 am

SommoDracorex wrote:
Sergey wrote:
... Numaan, Is that sculpting by Deborah McDermott too? Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
I don't think... the sculpt looks very... very... different? Laughing

skysthelimit wrote:
Sergey wrote:
... Numaan, Is that sculpting by Deborah McDermott too? Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
I doubt that...

CollectA told me that the Przewalski's horse WAS done by Deborah!

Back to top Go down
scot(t)

scot(t)

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 2013 Photo: Przewalski Stallion   CollectA 2013 Photo:  Przewalski Stallion - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 10, 2012 3:53 am

donny ong wrote:

CollectA told me that the Przewalski's horse WAS done by Deborah!

I'm sure that's correct. It looked to me like one of her works. It had some distinctive characteristics of her work, including attention she pays to that wedge of hair on the flank that seems to move the opposite direction. (I don't know how best to describe it. When I first noticed it, I thought it was supposed to be a scar or something. But all her horses--those that I have at least--have it.)
Back to top Go down
scot(t)

scot(t)

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 2013 Photo: Przewalski Stallion   CollectA 2013 Photo:  Przewalski Stallion - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 10, 2012 4:00 am

I feel somehow ungrateful to CollectA to complain about a model, since their offerings this year, and now clearly this coming year as well, have been truly astounding. But I agree with many of the sentiments expressed above. The Przewalski's Stallion is odd-looking, at least from the one picture we've seen.

I suppose it's a lot to expect that every single model by CollectA should be spectacular. And the same goes for the artist, who has also done some really impressive and interesting work with some other horses.

Back to top Go down
donny ong

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 2013 Photo: Przewalski Stallion   CollectA 2013 Photo:  Przewalski Stallion - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 10, 2012 6:22 am

scot(t) wrote:
I feel somehow ungrateful to CollectA to complain about a model, since their offerings this year, and now clearly this coming year as well, have been truly astounding. But I agree with many of the sentiments expressed above. The Przewalski's Stallion is odd-looking, at least from the one picture we've seen.

I suppose it's a lot to expect that every single model by CollectA should be spectacular. And the same goes for the artist, who has also done some really impressive and interesting work with some other horses.

Right Scott!
Let's not put our thumbs down just by ONE not so accurate model. Regard the other models! They're wonderful!

Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 2013 Photo: Przewalski Stallion   CollectA 2013 Photo:  Przewalski Stallion - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 10, 2012 7:00 am

scot(t) wrote:

IMHO, collectors can help companies with their complaints. COLLECTA made wonderful models last year, and not only last year, and it seems we will have wonderful and rare specie models in 2013. But as you said, this Przewalski's Stallion is odd-looking and we need to tell.
We are passionate cheers , sometimes experts study , sometimes we split hairs Suspect but I guess, I hope, I wish we had a little part in the last years improvements Wink
Back to top Go down
ezhilan

Country/State : india

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 2013 Photo: Przewalski Stallion   CollectA 2013 Photo:  Przewalski Stallion - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 10, 2012 9:27 am

the head is the best we can get but the body is not proportionate to it.
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 2013 Photo: Przewalski Stallion   CollectA 2013 Photo:  Przewalski Stallion - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 10, 2012 9:38 am

ezhilan wrote:

Maybe we will have to see it for real because we are only talking about a pic.
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 2013 Photo: Przewalski Stallion   CollectA 2013 Photo:  Przewalski Stallion - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 10, 2012 10:00 am

scot(t) wrote:

..... It looked to me like one of her works. It had some distinctive characteristics of her work, including attention she pays to that wedge of hair on the flank that seems to move the opposite direction. (I don't know how best to describe it. When I first noticed it, I thought it was supposed to be a scar or something. But all her horses--those that I have at least--have it.)

We call it "hvirvel". Could it be translated into "Cowlick" ?
All horses have it, it is esp easy to see on natural horses.
I took some early morning pictures of my critters. It has been raining a lot lately and it is easy to see how useful it is, leading moisture away from the tender parts under the belly :

Albina :
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Ida :

Spotty :

Freya .
I have made small arrows to show the way the hair leads the water.
On Freya the hairs lead the water down through a sort of "drain" in front of the cowlick, - on the CollectA Przewalsky this "drain" is the only one shown, which I consider a mistake.
The designer clearly has no idea how fantastic the fur of a natural horse works scratch

Not relevant for the model horse, but notice how the fur of the horses have made little " roof tiles" to lead the water away from the wool underneath cheers
That is one of the reaons one must never brush an outdoors horse very much.
The coat is fantastic, - if it get cold, it turns soft and fluffy, so isolating that snow doesn`t melt on the rump !!!
If the horse gets hot, the fur separates into little clusters so the heat can get away from the body !

Sergey

Sergey

Country/State : S. - Petersburg, Russia

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 2013 Photo: Przewalski Stallion   CollectA 2013 Photo:  Przewalski Stallion - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 10, 2012 2:00 pm

Przewalski Horse by Schleich 2006 - the best model (on my opinion)... scratch

Silver Unicornis

Country/State : Polish girl living in Scotland

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 2013 Photo: Przewalski Stallion   CollectA 2013 Photo:  Przewalski Stallion - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 10, 2012 3:28 pm

Kikimalou wrote:
ezhilan wrote:

Maybe we will have to see it for real because we are only talking about a pic.
I doubt body will look better in real life. Neck may be a bit turned, therefore it may look too short from this prespective. But equine bodies aren't flexible, so it's not the matter of pose or perspective. Besides, it looks as of someone chopped the body into three parts, removed the moddle one, and jointed the remaining two. I can't describe it more clearly scratch
If this model was in standing pose, then (preserving current proportions) its body length would be shorter than its height - it should be the other way round.

Przewalski horses/Takhis have different proportions than majority of breeds of domestic horse - their head is proportionally big, and legs rather short. Some have relatively short bodies, but not THAT short.
Fjord horses reseble the Takhi the most, although their hears aren't that big comparing to the rest of their bodies (not to mention other minor differences).

Fjord:

Przewalski:

Schleich Takhi is IMO too cute Razz

Blog | Facebook
Back to top Go down
ken yeo

ken yeo

Country/State : Singapore

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 2013 Photo: Przewalski Stallion   CollectA 2013 Photo:  Przewalski Stallion - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 10, 2012 3:35 pm

I still like it! Even through is not so accurate!

PeGe

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 2013 Photo: Przewalski Stallion   CollectA 2013 Photo:  Przewalski Stallion - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 10, 2012 3:43 pm

i decided to get one. it will be called "pikel jackson" Very Happy

SyLoBe

Country/State : Spain

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 2013 Photo: Przewalski Stallion   CollectA 2013 Photo:  Przewalski Stallion - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 10, 2012 4:00 pm

I think it´s just the angle of the photo. It´s probably they chose the worst one... Sometimes when taking pics of a model horse you just take an awful angle and the photo makes the model looks desproporcionate. This happens many times, Schleich is a brand which is not really good at taking pics of their models - they nearly always look with worse proportions than the ones they had in real life. In the opposite side, Safari makes VERY good photos, so good that I´ve stopped buying the Safari horses I can´t hold with my hands (or get a whole bunch of pics of all possible angles lol). They always choose the best angle so the horse looks perfect when it isn´t.

Taking pics of a model horse is another kind of art! And really difficult sometimes!

Visit my art gallery at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I accept commissions!
Back to top Go down
http://sylobe.deviantart.com
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 2013 Photo: Przewalski Stallion   CollectA 2013 Photo:  Przewalski Stallion - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 10, 2012 7:20 pm

I'm so sorry but I think not even the head looks great. eyes are too laterally placed, ears are weird and chin/cheeks areas don't look correct. Anyway Deborah is a great artist and CollectA is presenting a very nice group of figures. While here we are finding something that is wrong, in other treads we make some effort to find something right! Laughing

Silver Unicornis

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 2013 Photo: Przewalski Stallion   CollectA 2013 Photo:  Przewalski Stallion - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 10, 2012 7:26 pm

Let's just say I had very high expectations about this figure Wink That's why I'm so dissapointed about it so far. Maybe the actual model will look better - at least I hope so! :)

Blog | Facebook
Back to top Go down
Sergey

Sergey

Country/State : S. - Petersburg, Russia

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 2013 Photo: Przewalski Stallion   CollectA 2013 Photo:  Przewalski Stallion - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 10, 2012 9:32 pm

Kikimalou wrote:
scot(t) wrote:

IMHO, collectors can help companies with their complaints. COLLECTA made wonderful models last year, and not only last year, and it seems we will have wonderful and rare specie models in 2013. But as you said, this Przewalski's Stallion is odd-looking and we need to tell.
We are passionate cheers , sometimes experts study , sometimes we split hairs Suspect but I guess, I hope, I wish we had a little part in the last years improvements Wink

Sad(o)): Sad(o)): Sad(o)): Sad(o)): Sad(o)):

Country/State : slovenia

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 2013 Photo: Przewalski Stallion   CollectA 2013 Photo:  Przewalski Stallion - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 10, 2012 10:26 pm

The more bad comments I read about this figurine, the more I like that poor horse! Sad(o)):

scot(t)

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 2013 Photo: Przewalski Stallion   CollectA 2013 Photo:  Przewalski Stallion - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 11, 2012 2:33 am

SUSANNE wrote:
scot(t) wrote:

..... It looked to me like one of her works. It had some distinctive characteristics of her work, including attention she pays to that wedge of hair on the flank that seems to move the opposite direction. (I don't know how best to describe it. When I first noticed it, I thought it was supposed to be a scar or something. But all her horses--those that I have at least--have it.)

We call it "hvirvel". Could it be translated into "Cowlick" ?
All horses have it, it is esp easy to see on natural horses.

Yes! Cowlick! That's right. (At least, 'cowlick' is an English word that's used to refer to a crop of hair going in a direction different from the rest of the hair. It gets used to describe the hair on people too.)

Apparently they're called "flank swirls" or "flank whorls" on horses. ('Whorls' is another word for 'cowlicks'.)

Thank you Susanne!! Your pictures and descriptions are really helpful and interesting.

I personally like the fact that the McDermott horses by CollectA have them there. And she renders them in a distinctive way. Since they are there on the Przewalski's horse, my assumption was that it was a safe bet that she was responsible for this sculpt.

Back to top Go down
donny ong

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 2013 Photo: Przewalski Stallion   CollectA 2013 Photo:  Przewalski Stallion - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 12, 2012 1:38 am

SyLoBe wrote:
I think it´s just the angle of the photo. It´s probably they chose the worst one... Sometimes when taking pics of a model horse you just take an awful angle and the photo makes the model looks desproporcionate. This happens many times, Schleich is a brand which is not really good at taking pics of their models - they nearly always look with worse proportions than the ones they had in real life. In the opposite side, Safari makes VERY good photos, so good that I´ve stopped buying the Safari horses I can´t hold with my hands (or get a whole bunch of pics of all possible angles lol). They always choose the best angle so the horse looks perfect when it isn´t.

Taking pics of a model horse is another kind of art! And really difficult sometimes!

I really hope so!

Back to top Go down
ken yeo

ken yeo

Country/State : Singapore

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 2013 Photo: Przewalski Stallion   CollectA 2013 Photo:  Przewalski Stallion - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 12, 2012 7:06 am

donny ong wrote:
SyLoBe wrote:

I really hope so!

Finger crossed!!

Numa

Country/State : England, UK

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 2013 Photo: Przewalski Stallion   CollectA 2013 Photo:  Przewalski Stallion - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 13, 2012 5:42 pm

Dear all

I was not involved in the design of this particular model and I dont have a prototype to hand to really see this photo. It is perhaps the angle of the photo but I have passed on all comments direct to CollectA and await their response. Hopefully it can be amended before full production. Will keep you posted.

thanks
Back to top Go down
MartinH

MartinH

Country/State : Czech Republic

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 2013 Photo: Przewalski Stallion   CollectA 2013 Photo:  Przewalski Stallion - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 14, 2012 2:52 pm

Thank you Numaan. You are the best :) Sad(o)): Sad(o)):

https://www.martinhcollection.cz/
HKHollinstone

HKHollinstone

Country/State : England, CUMBRIA

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 2013 Photo: Przewalski Stallion   CollectA 2013 Photo:  Przewalski Stallion - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 14, 2012 6:16 pm

That's great news Numaan!

Back to top Go down
http://hkhollinstone.weebly.com/
Silver Unicornis

Silver Unicornis

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 2013 Photo: Przewalski Stallion   CollectA 2013 Photo:  Przewalski Stallion - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 14, 2012 6:24 pm

I hope they will improve this guy. This model has a great potential, it would be shame if it was released with such silly flaw.

Blog | Facebook
Back to top Go down
Tupolew Tu-154

Tupolew Tu-154

Country/State : Skynet Central

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 2013 Photo: Przewalski Stallion   CollectA 2013 Photo:  Przewalski Stallion - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 14, 2012 9:53 pm

Looks like a yearling...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 2013 Photo: Przewalski Stallion   CollectA 2013 Photo:  Przewalski Stallion - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

CollectA 2013 Photo: Przewalski Stallion
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next