Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy animal WikiToy animal Wiki  HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Dictionary  Animal Toy forum  
Very Happy The topic "Animals where you live" won the SUY for December" Very Happy

Share | 

Resin building log of a Diabloceratops

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
tyrantqueen

Country/State : England, UK

PostSubject: Resin building log of a Diabloceratops   Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:40 pm

First off I would like to give credit to Tylosaurus, he allowed me to borrow his idea for this thread I love you He has his own thread too, check it out if you're interested.

I have the Paleomaster Diabloceratops and I thought it might be fun to post a log of my progress. Hopefully, it might help some people out who need advice for building model kits. And I could also get critiqued if I make any major mistakes, and learn from it myself.

I bought this kit because I like Paleomaster's stuff, and this was an unusual species in an unusual pose.

I begin by putting the parts in a plastic tub, and filling the tub with water and washing up liquid.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Willie was curious and followed me into the kitchen Razz

I leave the parts to soak for about an hour, then I take them out and wash them off in the sink. I use an old toothbrush to scrub them down.

The reason for washing the kit is because there may be leftover mold release agent on them, and this can interfere with the paint being able to adhere to the resin.

Obviously, I should not have washed these in the bathroom sink, but I was too lazy to go downstairs Embarassed

They're finished, and I let them dry on the radiator.

When they have dried out, I use a scalpel to trim off any access flash.

Then I remove the horns from the sprues.

Now I begin the scariest part, (well, for me anyway..), the gluing. I use Hot Stuff, which is a kind of cyanoacrylate glue. It was originally used to repair gemstones, so it is very strong. I choose thick glue because many of the parts in this kit were poorly fitting, with gaps, and thick glue was needed for this.

I like to use masking tape to hold the pieces together while they are bonding. It just gives me more time to move onto something else, rather than sitting there with the bits in my hands, waiting for them to stick.

About an hour later, and the gluing is complete.

Obviously this guy is not yet complete. You can probably see the gaps, which need to filled in. I will cover that soon in future. I left the base until last, because it would get in the way otherwise.

Even though I was pretty careful during this, I still managed to stab myself Rolling Eyes

Thank you for reading Very Happy

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Resin building log of a Diabloceratops   Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:42 pm

A nice dino and very intersting work cheers cheers cheers

Admin

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Resin building log of a Diabloceratops   Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:59 pm

Very exiting cheers

I LOVE this kind of subject Sad(o)):

Thankyou for sharing, - I can`t wait to se how you continue...I am sure all wil be perfect when Willie helps you Wink

tyrantqueen

PostSubject: Re: Resin building log of a Diabloceratops   Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:07 am

Thanks Suzanne and widukind I love you

Well, I had nothing to do this night Sad

So I did some more work on this resin kit.

I used to have a lot of trouble with filling seams and gaps on model kits. But after a lot of trial and error, I have discovered a method that works for me. It is very time consuming, but I think the extra effort is worth it.

The first thing I do, and the most important, is to protect the details that I DON'T want the putty to get onto. I used masking tape (masking tape is awesome btw) and I carefully stick it as close as possible to the edge of the seam as I can.
Obviously, I didn't cover the seam itself, because that would defeat the purpose.

I used Vallejo Plastic Putty. I like it because I can just use it straight out of tube, with no mixing or anything.

I use these colour shaper thingies for spreading the putty, just like you would spread butter on a knife Razz
I used water to smooth it out as well. I don't have to worry too much about messiness because the masking tape will take care of that.

Here is the model with the putty applied. Looks pretty bad, doesn't it?

I remove the masking tape, and...

Much neater :) I sometimes sand down the seams if I am still not happy with them.

I still need to do the rest of the figure, but when that is done, I will be gessoing it and then painting it. Almost done :)

Country/State : Dirksland, The Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: Resin building log of a Diabloceratops   Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:11 am

This is awesome!!!! cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers
Nice explanation on how you took this one on my love I love you I love you I love you I love you

I'd be excited to see you you finish this guy Cool

Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Resin building log of a Diabloceratops   Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:57 am

Thank you for this! It is really interesting to see how you are doing this very neat model. Thanks for posting this. (and I can't wait to see it finshed!)
Back to top Go down
tyrantqueen

PostSubject: Re: Resin building log of a Diabloceratops   Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:03 am

Thanks guys I love you

Country/State : Dirksland, The Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: Resin building log of a Diabloceratops   Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:45 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Thanks guys I love you
Anytime ! cheers cheers I love you I love you I love you Can't wait to see more progress on this beauty ! cheers cheers cheers

Roger
Admin

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Resin building log of a Diabloceratops   Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:52 pm

Thanks for opening such an interesting topic for STS. Many people starts their experiences after seeing your works here. So those topics are very informative. Very Happy
Nice to see Willie again! Very Happy

~ Rogério [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
tyrantqueen

PostSubject: Re: Resin building log of a Diabloceratops   Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:51 pm

Thanks Tylo and Rodge I love you

Thanks for opening such an interesting topic for STS. Many people starts their experiences after seeing your works here. So those topics are very informative. Very Happy
Nice to see Willie again! Very Happy
That is my hope, that people will get some kind of motivation after seeing this thread sunny

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Resin building log of a Diabloceratops   Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:20 am

(I just found this thread)

Very useful info for a Man who does not own a Resin kit yet.
Back to top Go down
tyrantqueen

PostSubject: Re: Resin building log of a Diabloceratops   Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:07 am

(I just found this thread)

Very useful info for a Man who does not own a Resin kit yet.

Unfortunately, the photos in this thread were lost, because of a personal crisis (which I won't go into here)

I've also changed my techniques a bit since then, I've discovered the value of using pinning and drilling.

Glad it helped you though :)

PostSubject: Re: Resin building log of a Diabloceratops   Today at 2:58 am

Back to top Go down

Resin building log of a Diabloceratops
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1