Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Presentation: MOJO FUNN 2013 Deinotherium

Go down 
+15
HKHollinstone
baltimore zoo
Tupolew Tu-154
Seijun
Sergey
Kikimalou
Roger
signatus
pm64
SommoDracorex
SUSANNE
lucky luke
Ana
widukind
STORMnl
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

Presentation: MOJO FUNN 2013 Deinotherium - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Presentation: MOJO FUNN 2013 Deinotherium   Presentation: MOJO FUNN 2013 Deinotherium - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 01, 2012 3:38 pm

baltimore zoo wrote:
Too bad. I think it would have really been even more spectacular for this nice figure if it had been made closer to the WW Asian elephant's dimensions.
Since Mojo's a newer company, why not try to make their figures in "relative scale" ?
I'm just so tired of not having a line similar to my Britains' scale, to where their elephants look good next to their hippos, lions etc.
Here's your chance Mojo...

For me it is a shame that the figure is not a little smaller, in 1:32 scale to fit with my Britains. Laughing So, it would fit with the only line I own that respecs the relative proportions between animals.
But, why would Mojo make a figure in scale with the figures of other brand?
So, when you want it the same size of a WW Asian elephant are you thinking in have the figure in scale with what?
There is some hope in what is happening. STS, FB, DTF, are showing to the world of toy makers, that the market of adulte collectors is not as irrelevant as it seems. Actually, some parents that go to the shops buying figures to their kids are actually buying to theirselves. As long as our comunity grows and people like us don't have any problem giving the face to say: "I collect toys", I'm sure, soon or later, we'll have a series or brand working with scales again. Until it happen the best we can do is to consolidate our community and aplaud the audacity of some brands! Very Happy

PostSubject: Baltimore zoo   Presentation: MOJO FUNN 2013 Deinotherium - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 01, 2012 8:27 pm

Roger if they made it the size of the WW Asian elephant, they could do all their other prehistoric mammals in relative scale to it(A larger brontotheium etc.).
I still would like to know the process of how all companies decide on the scale of their new assortments/figures for the year. Not saying they're right or wrong, just wondering?
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Presentation: MOJO FUNN 2013 Deinotherium   Presentation: MOJO FUNN 2013 Deinotherium - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 02, 2012 12:54 am

baltimore zoo wrote:
Roger if they made it the size of the WW Asian elephant, they could do all their other prehistoric mammals in relative scale to it(A larger brontotheium etc.).
I still would like to know the process of how all companies decide on the scale of their new assortments/figures for the year. Not saying they're right or wrong, just wondering?

I see some differences between brands but I believe they are made to fit the famous tag colors that you see in Schleich and similar brands. Mojo has small, medium, large, Extra-large and Deluxe sizes.
Any size represents a certain price. If an animal is too small like an hedgehog, it will be made thinking in a size to fit with the small size. So, the brand needs to use a large scale. Remember, that in this size will also fit a fox that is a much larger animal. Elephants, rhinos, hippos and large fauna will be placed on extralarge figures that need not to be very large to prevent a very high price. These figures are about 1:25 and 1:30 scales. The Deluxe size is usually dedicated to large prehistoric and sea life creatures using sometimes scales from 1:30 to much smaller.
In each size level there are some differences in size, not relevant to determine the price but to make the figures look in relative scale. Also, not only the size is considered, a good example is the Schleich lynx, very small but ranked in the 3rd level of price.
I hope someone from a brand have the chance of explaining it better than me.
By the way, it looks all new prehistoric mammals from Mojo are in 1:30 scale, so they are in scale with each others. :)

PostSubject: Baltimore zoo   Presentation: MOJO FUNN 2013 Deinotherium - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 02, 2012 10:15 am

Roger thanks so much for your explanation on this matter.
However, I still think the Deinotherium would have looked awesome if it had been WW Asian elephant size, and then the rest of the prehistoric mammals done to fit that scale.
Since you mentioned pricing/cost of figures, just a quick reference to the popular Hasbro Star Wars line. Their individual figures range from $5.99 to $7.99 depending where they are bought(Target, Wal-Mart, Toys R Us etc.), but their space ships & vehicles , 2 or 3 figure packs, and larger creatures can range from $19.99 to $150, but still are purchased by parents for their kids and bought buy collectors as well.
With that being said, what do you think, if a WW sized Deinotherium sold in that $20 range, and the others Brontotherium et al, were from $12 -$8 (Based on relative scale to the Deinotherium)?

Back to top Go down
cattlecollector

Country/State : U.S.A

PostSubject: Re: Presentation: MOJO FUNN 2013 Deinotherium   Presentation: MOJO FUNN 2013 Deinotherium - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 04, 2012 4:27 pm

I do not know much about prehistoric creatures, but this model looks amazing. Isn't the trunk a little bit short though? scratch
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Presentation: MOJO FUNN 2013 Deinotherium   Presentation: MOJO FUNN 2013 Deinotherium - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 04, 2012 4:52 pm

cattlecollector wrote:
I do not know much about prehistoric creatures, but this model looks amazing. Isn't the trunk a little bit short though? scratch

I think the trunk is good. Many Internet sources, when comparing deinotheria with modern elephants, describe them as having short trunks, differently shaped tusks, longer legs and less domed head. We can see all these characteristics in this replica. But, I'm sure, among paleo-experts, there is a group that wanted to see the trunk longer and other that wanted it short as it is. That's typical when discussing animals where we only know the real thing from skeletons. elephant

Bowhead Whale

Country/State : Canada

PostSubject: Re: Presentation: MOJO FUNN 2013 Deinotherium   Presentation: MOJO FUNN 2013 Deinotherium - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 11, 2012 8:27 pm

It's good, yet I still prefer the Bullyland one: looks more like the 6-meter tall creature it really was.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Presentation: MOJO FUNN 2013 Deinotherium   Presentation: MOJO FUNN 2013 Deinotherium - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Presentation: MOJO FUNN 2013 Deinotherium
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2