Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The 2013 PAPO Wooly rhinoceros walkaround by kikimalou

Go down 
+16
animalluvr6
cattlecollector
Roger
pm64
Joan Milelire
ken yeo
Mark1
Sergey
STORMnl
ezhilan
SUSANNE
scot(t)
widukind
PeGe
Ana
Kikimalou
20 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

The 2013 PAPO Wooly rhinoceros walkaround by kikimalou Empty
PostSubject: The 2013 PAPO Wooly rhinoceros walkaround by kikimalou   The 2013 PAPO Wooly rhinoceros walkaround by kikimalou EmptyFri Dec 14, 2012 4:52 pm

Yesterday I have found at last the 2013 PAPO Wooly rhinoceros. Here are the pics of the awesome guy  Cool  I hope you will enjoy  Very Happy

The Woolly Rhino, (Coelodonta antiquitatis) first appeared some 350,000 years ago and may have survived until as recently as 10,000 years ago. Common throughout Northern Europe and Eastern Asia (especially in what is now Russia), it's range extended from South Korea to Scotland to Spain. In the latter part of the Pleistocene Period, the Woolly Rhino may have had the largest range of any known rhinoceros, living or extinct.
The Woolly Rhinos frequently inhabited the same areas as Woolly Mammoths, however they apparently never managed to move across the Bering Strait and extend their range into North America.
The woolly rhinoceros was supremely well adapted to its environment. Stocky limbs and thick woolly pelage made it well suited to the steppe-tundra environment prevalent across the Palearctic ecozone during the Pleistocene glaciations.

A study of 40-70.000 year old DNA samples showed its closest extant relative is the Sumatran rhinoceros.

The external appearance of woolly rhinos is known from mummified individuals from Siberia as well as cave paintings. An adult was typically around 3 to 3.8 metres in length, with an estimated weight of around 2,721–3,175 kg. The woolly rhinoceros could grow to be 2 m tall; the body size was thus comparable, or slightly larger than, the extant White rhinoceros. Two horns on the skull were made of keratin, the front, larger (anterior) measured up to 1m and has a flattened shape from side to side, like a wooden plank. It had thick, long fur, small ears, short, thick legs, and a stocky body.
Its shape was known only from prehistoric cave drawings until a completely preserved specimen (missing only the fur and hooves) was discovered in a tar pit in Starunia, Poland. The specimen, an adult female, is now on display in the Polish Academy of Sciences' Museum of Natural History in Kraków.

IMHO the PAPO model is better than I thought first when I saw the advertise pic. Not a JP style PAPO but a BBC "walking with beasts" toy. Stocky, bulky, with a massive hump and a flattened shape big horn. The scale is between 1:20 and 1:23.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by Kikimalou on Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:49 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Ana

Ana

Country/State : Utrecht/NL

PostSubject: Re: The 2013 PAPO Wooly rhinoceros walkaround by kikimalou   The 2013 PAPO Wooly rhinoceros walkaround by kikimalou EmptyFri Dec 14, 2012 5:09 pm

I like it very much, he looks much nicer than on official photo! cheers Congratulations for Your newcomer and thank You for great walk around! cheers
The only thing disturbing for me is horn scratch but overall animal look really nice :)

Thank You for the information about this animal too! I had no idea about the almost complete specimen found in Poland Shocked Now I not only got to visit Kraków next year but probably I will have to buy this figure too Laughing Many thanks Kiki!!! monkey

Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
PeGe

PeGe

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: The 2013 PAPO Wooly rhinoceros walkaround by kikimalou   The 2013 PAPO Wooly rhinoceros walkaround by kikimalou EmptyFri Dec 14, 2012 5:29 pm

nice figurine. Bullyland cork collection i guess?

Last edited by PeGe on Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: The 2013 PAPO Wooly rhinoceros walkaround by kikimalou   The 2013 PAPO Wooly rhinoceros walkaround by kikimalou EmptyFri Dec 14, 2012 5:31 pm

Wonderful fossil !!! Great catch!!! cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers

But have you also found some new Papo wild animals? scratch scratch

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: The 2013 PAPO Wooly rhinoceros walkaround by kikimalou   The 2013 PAPO Wooly rhinoceros walkaround by kikimalou EmptyFri Dec 14, 2012 5:36 pm

ana wrote:
I like it very much, he looks much nicer than on official photo! cheers Congratulations for Your newcomer and thank You for great walk around!  cheers
The only thing disturbing for me is horn  scratch but overall animal look really nice :)

Thank You for the information about this animal too! I had no idea about the almost complete specimen found in Poland Shocked Now I not only got to visit Kraków next year but probably I will have to buy this figure too Laughing Many thanks Kiki!!!  monkey

Wooly rhinos had a flattened horn, it is not a PAPO invention  Wink

widukind wrote:
Wonderful fossil !!! Great catch!!! cheers  cheers  cheers  cheers  cheers

But have you also found some new Papo wild animals? scratch  scratch

No, it is the only model available before 2013 !

Last edited by Kikimalou on Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
scot(t)

scot(t)

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: The 2013 PAPO Wooly rhinoceros walkaround by kikimalou   The 2013 PAPO Wooly rhinoceros walkaround by kikimalou EmptyFri Dec 14, 2012 6:03 pm

That is a marvelous figure! Wonderful walkaround Christophe! Thank you for sharing with us.
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: The 2013 PAPO Wooly rhinoceros walkaround by kikimalou   The 2013 PAPO Wooly rhinoceros walkaround by kikimalou EmptyFri Dec 14, 2012 6:11 pm

Kikimalou wrote:
widukind wrote:
Wonderful fossil !!! Great catch!!! cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers

But have you also found some new Papo wild animals? scratch scratch

No, it is the only model available before 2013 !

Thank you Very Happy

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Ana

Ana

Country/State : Utrecht/NL

PostSubject: Re: The 2013 PAPO Wooly rhinoceros walkaround by kikimalou   The 2013 PAPO Wooly rhinoceros walkaround by kikimalou EmptyFri Dec 14, 2012 6:12 pm

Kikimalou wrote:
ana wrote:
I like it very much, he looks much nicer than on official photo! cheers Congratulations for Your newcomer and thank You for great walk around! cheers
The only thing disturbing for me is horn scratch but overall animal look really nice :)

Thank You for the information about this animal too! I had no idea about the almost complete specimen found in Poland Shocked Now I not only got to visit Kraków next year but probably I will have to buy this figure too Laughing Many thanks Kiki!!! monkey

Wooly rhinos had a flattened horn, it is not a PAPO invention Wink

Yes, but as Joan pointed out in different topic it looks quite like dried wood or old bone scratch and in living animal surface of it shall be more smooth study It's small thing, I like this rhino anyway Very Happy

Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: The 2013 PAPO Wooly rhinoceros walkaround by kikimalou   The 2013 PAPO Wooly rhinoceros walkaround by kikimalou EmptyFri Dec 14, 2012 6:39 pm

WOW!!!!! Christoph, you lucky macaque cheers cheers cheers cheers

I LOVE the beast, it is magnificent Very Happy Very Happy

Thankyou for a GREAT walkaround, I just can`t wait to get that beast bounce

ezhilan

Country/State : india

PostSubject: Re: The 2013 PAPO Wooly rhinoceros walkaround by kikimalou   The 2013 PAPO Wooly rhinoceros walkaround by kikimalou EmptyFri Dec 14, 2012 6:43 pm

great pics.the hump gives it a distinct stone age look .
Back to top Go down
STORMnl

STORMnl

Country/State : Nijmegen-Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: The 2013 PAPO Wooly rhinoceros walkaround by kikimalou   The 2013 PAPO Wooly rhinoceros walkaround by kikimalou EmptyFri Dec 14, 2012 7:52 pm

wow,,you olready got it
what a great figure
a must have for every prehistoric collector

men ,,,i want it to

Martien

Last edited by STORMnl on Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: The 2013 PAPO Wooly rhinoceros walkaround by kikimalou   The 2013 PAPO Wooly rhinoceros walkaround by kikimalou EmptyFri Dec 14, 2012 8:03 pm

Thank you my friends Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sergey

Sergey

Country/State : S. - Petersburg, Russia

PostSubject: Re: The 2013 PAPO Wooly rhinoceros walkaround by kikimalou   The 2013 PAPO Wooly rhinoceros walkaround by kikimalou EmptyFri Dec 14, 2012 9:51 pm

Thank you VERY MUCH Christophe! Sad(o)): Sad(o)): Sad(o)):

Country/State : USA New Jersey

PostSubject: The 2013 PAPO Wooly rhinoceros walkaround by kikimalou   The 2013 PAPO Wooly rhinoceros walkaround by kikimalou EmptySat Dec 15, 2012 12:21 am

Wow.... Thanks for the walk around.... Looks like I'll be getting this fellow. Good job PAPO! :}
Back to top Go down
ken yeo

ken yeo

Country/State : Singapore

PostSubject: Re: The 2013 PAPO Wooly rhinoceros walkaround by kikimalou   The 2013 PAPO Wooly rhinoceros walkaround by kikimalou EmptySat Dec 15, 2012 2:55 am

Congrats! I will mark him down even through look like a piece of wood!

widukind

PostSubject: Re: The 2013 PAPO Wooly rhinoceros walkaround by kikimalou   The 2013 PAPO Wooly rhinoceros walkaround by kikimalou EmptySat Dec 15, 2012 8:55 am

Mark1 wrote:
Wow.... Thanks for the walk around.... Looks like I'll be getting this fellow. Good job PAPO! :}

Welcome here Mark sunny sunny sunny sunny

I see your are not new here but i am happy that your decide to talk about with us sunny sunny sunny sunny

Back to top Go down
Joan Milelire

Joan Milelire

Country/State : Catalonia

PostSubject: Re: The 2013 PAPO Wooly rhinoceros walkaround by kikimalou   The 2013 PAPO Wooly rhinoceros walkaround by kikimalou EmptySat Dec 15, 2012 10:32 am

Thank you very much Christophe for the pictures!
it's an amazing figurine and very wanted by me, so it will be in my collection for sure.
On the negative side there is the issue of the horn commented in another post that Anna also agrees. Also, as often happens in the papo figures, legs are too far apart, if I may joke, look like a turtle Laughing Laughing

my handmade models: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]     my models in facebook: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
http://bestiari.weebly.com/
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: The 2013 PAPO Wooly rhinoceros walkaround by kikimalou   The 2013 PAPO Wooly rhinoceros walkaround by kikimalou EmptySat Dec 15, 2012 11:28 am

It's a beautiful turtle Joan Laughing I also dislike far appart legs, that's the reason why I don't have the moose for example. But on this coelodonta it is fine Wink

About the horns, I'm afraid we have the choice between a PAPO correctly flattened but woody horn or a BULLYLAND rounded horn...
Back to top Go down
pm64

pm64

Country/State : Firenze,Italy

PostSubject: Re: The 2013 PAPO Wooly rhinoceros walkaround by kikimalou   The 2013 PAPO Wooly rhinoceros walkaround by kikimalou EmptySat Dec 15, 2012 12:05 pm

Interesting story and very nice figure thay I will buy for sure, thank you Christophe.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: The 2013 PAPO Wooly rhinoceros walkaround by kikimalou   The 2013 PAPO Wooly rhinoceros walkaround by kikimalou EmptySat Dec 15, 2012 1:29 pm

We are lucky having your great walk arounds with these wonderful pictures with very interesting additional information attached. cheers
Of course we can read a lot googling but it is much nicer here on our forum of ever together with our toys and friends! Very Happy
That's another very Papo style figure, it looks very atractive as an impressive toy of a prehistoric mammal but doesn't look interesting as a Museum replica. Although my unexpertized condition I can see some exagerations to give a more beast looking to the figure, mainly the hump, is colossal. affraid
I love when rhinos have their legs under the body, what is not the case here. From some angles the figure looks very unelegant. Though I confess, sometimes people asks me which prehistoric figures I recomend to their kids and I almost always recomend the Papo line. Not excelent scientifically but truly exciting in terms of design! Very Happy

Country/State : U.S.A

PostSubject: Re: The 2013 PAPO Wooly rhinoceros walkaround by kikimalou   The 2013 PAPO Wooly rhinoceros walkaround by kikimalou EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 7:05 pm

Pretty good model, although I do not collect papo. The horn is really annoying me, and if I ever get the model, I am going to take my knife and shave it down to look natural. :)
Back to top Go down
animalluvr6

animalluvr6

Country/State : United States, Arizona

PostSubject: !   The 2013 PAPO Wooly rhinoceros walkaround by kikimalou EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 7:12 pm

Thanks for sharing Kiki! This is a beautiful model! Very Happy

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." ~Anatole France
Back to top Go down
http://kelseys66.blogspot.com/
carlysulli

carlysulli

Country/State : United States, North Carolina

PostSubject: Re: The 2013 PAPO Wooly rhinoceros walkaround by kikimalou   The 2013 PAPO Wooly rhinoceros walkaround by kikimalou EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 9:32 pm

Great model! Sad(o)):

STORMnl

Country/State : Nijmegen-Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: The 2013 PAPO Wooly rhinoceros walkaround by kikimalou   The 2013 PAPO Wooly rhinoceros walkaround by kikimalou EmptyMon Dec 17, 2012 4:52 pm

it's deffently on my list for 2013

a must have,,i like the rhino

Martien

smilodoncalifornicus

Country/State : USA Minnesota

PostSubject: Papo’ Woolly Rhino   The 2013 PAPO Wooly rhinoceros walkaround by kikimalou EmptyWed Feb 14, 2018 3:47 am

Coelodonta antiquitatis is the Scientific name for the Pleistocene Woolly Rhino that inhabited much of Europe and Asia.  In spite of this Prehistoric mammal being quite well known, there are not many figures of it on the market.  This is Papo’s rendition.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by smilodoncalifornicus on Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The 2013 PAPO Wooly rhinoceros walkaround by kikimalou   The 2013 PAPO Wooly rhinoceros walkaround by kikimalou Empty

Back to top Go down

The 2013 PAPO Wooly rhinoceros walkaround by kikimalou
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next