Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Animals made in 3D by miniNature

Go down 
+45
Roger
widukind
miniNature
arafan
NightLioness
Wilorvise
Noémi
stecal
MiniZoo
koniminiatures
Geospiza fortis
AlienMantis
Sartje
donny ong
Miss Jane
lucky luke
Elephants Rule
Tyler Loew
Elros Alvar
Florian
LeeAnn
AlopexLagopus
Joan Milelire
mreyder
scot(t)
Philter4
aandmkw
pm64
stef1000
kudu11
Taylcoel
runfromturtles
AlvinCK
Yurumi
bjarki12
carlysulli
MartinH
JonasV
cattlecollector
STORMnl
HKHollinstone
Sergey
SyLoBe
Fisva
SUSANNE
49 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
AuthorMessage
miniNature

miniNature

Country/State : Netherlands

Animals made in 3D by miniNature Empty
PostSubject: Animals made in 3D by miniNature   Animals made in 3D by miniNature EmptyFri Jan 04, 2013 1:46 am

Hello, like I've told in my welcome topic I try to make animals in 3D so I can print them in 3D at Shapeways, so I'll have more realistic models with higher detail and all my animals in my desired scale.
3D Printing is very nice. You can chose different materials, like a lot kinds of plastic, metal and much more. The technology is still growing, but you can already print with a detail of 0,025 mm with some materials!

My very first 3D animalmodel is the Giraffe:
Animals made in 3D by miniNature 674x501_866842_750774_1358008976
Animals made in 3D by miniNature 674x501_866842_750775_1358008974
Animals made in 3D by miniNature 674x501_866168_749984_1357956812
Animals made in 3D by miniNature 674x501_866168_749985_1357956806
Animals made in 3D by miniNature 674x501_866168_749986_1357956810

You can watch and print the 2 Giraffe models in different scales here on the site of Shapeways.

Sadly I don't have money yet to print my own models, but when I've money, I'll show you pictures of the printed versions of my models.

When you have questions, tips, advice or constructive criticism, let it know. That will be very helpfull.

In the future, you can ask me for specific animal models in the pose and scale you desired and I'll try to make them for you. So let me know!

Last edited by miniNature on Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Animals made in 3D by miniNature   Animals made in 3D by miniNature EmptyFri Jan 04, 2013 5:07 am

Absolutly phantastic cheers cheers

STS members can merge Very Happy

sunny Andreas sunny
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Animals made in 3D by miniNature   Animals made in 3D by miniNature EmptyFri Jan 04, 2013 8:47 am

This is awesome Shocked

I have absolutely no idea what and how this is done, but the result surely is stunning Sad(o)): Sad(o)):

Thankyou for showing us. I hoipe to see more in the future sunny

Fisva

Fisva

Country/State : Poland

PostSubject: Re: Animals made in 3D by miniNature   Animals made in 3D by miniNature EmptyFri Jan 04, 2013 8:56 am

It looks very interesting Very Happy I've always wanted to try it out :)
Back to top Go down
SyLoBe

SyLoBe

Country/State : Spain

PostSubject: Re: Animals made in 3D by miniNature   Animals made in 3D by miniNature EmptyFri Jan 04, 2013 9:36 am

I´ve always wanted to try this, but Shapeways looks to be expensive... At least if you are not going to produce it massively.

Visit my art gallery at http://sylobe.deviantart.com/gallery/

I accept commissions!
Back to top Go down
http://sylobe.deviantart.com
Sergey

Sergey

Country/State : S. - Petersburg, Russia

PostSubject: Re: Animals made in 3D by miniNature   Animals made in 3D by miniNature EmptyFri Jan 04, 2013 10:16 am

widukind wrote:
Absolutly phantastic cheers cheers

Yeah! Yeah! bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce Sad(o)): Sad(o)): Sad(o)): Sad(o)): Sad(o)): Sad(o)): Sad(o)): Sad(o)): Sad(o)): Sad(o)): Sad(o)): Sad(o)): Sad(o)): Sad(o)): Sad(o)): Sad(o)):

Ana

Country/State : Utrecht/NL

PostSubject: Re: Animals made in 3D by miniNature   Animals made in 3D by miniNature EmptyFri Jan 04, 2013 11:25 am

Good works and wow, that's interesting! I wonder if this is the future of designing animal figures Very Happy
I must learn it too perhaps scratch

Do You also sculpt in more traditional materials? :)

Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
HKHollinstone

HKHollinstone

Country/State : England, CUMBRIA

PostSubject: Re: Animals made in 3D by miniNature   Animals made in 3D by miniNature EmptyFri Jan 04, 2013 3:38 pm

They're amazing! This idea of 3d printing is incredible, I think it's marvelous!

Back to top Go down
http://hkhollinstone.weebly.com/
miniNature

miniNature

PostSubject: Re: Animals made in 3D by miniNature   Animals made in 3D by miniNature EmptyFri Jan 04, 2013 5:08 pm

Thank you all for all that nice comments!

SUSANNE wrote:
This is awesome

I have absolutely no idea what and how this is done, but the result surely is stunning

Thankyou for showing us. I hoipe to see more in the future

I've made some progress screenshots. I think some of you would be intrested in that:

Animals made in 3D by miniNature Progrespic01
First I start with a good reference siteview picture of the giraffe. I've create a very basic shape of the body of the animal.

Animals made in 3D by miniNature Progrespic02_zps7245d450
Then I elaborate the basic shape a little more detailed and give the model basic legs, head and tail.

Animals made in 3D by miniNature Progrespic03
On some point I'm happy with the basic shape and now I'll switch from Maya to ZBrush.

Animals made in 3D by miniNature Progrespic04
Here is the model imported in ZBrush. You can see it's a whole different program with an other layout. This tools are focussed on detailling.

Animals made in 3D by miniNature Progrespic05
Here I started part by part detailing the model.

Animals made in 3D by miniNature Progrespic06
Later, when the whole model had detailed muscles and face I give the model surface a short fur structure.

Animals made in 3D by miniNature Progrespic07
The model is made symmetric, so when I'm content with the model I can start with pose the model.

Animals made in 3D by miniNature Progrespic08
And when I'm content with the pose I upload the model on Shapeways, so it can be print.

SyLoBe wrote:
I´ve always wanted to try this, but Shapeways looks to be expensive... At least if you are not going to produce it massively.

Yes, It's true that Shapeways is more expensive than factory produced models. But I've two kinds of models in my Shapeways shop. Hollow models and Solid models. At Shapeways you pay for each cm3 material. So when you have a hollow model this is far less cm3, so much cheaper. There is only a little (2/4 mm) hole in the model in an inconspicuous area. I'll buy my own hollow models in scale II (1:22,5). The hole I'll fill with powder/sand and than I'll close the hole with some glue. Then the model feels solid so more expensive Cool . Fortunately the giraffe is one of the largest animals, so all smaller animals in scale II will be much cheaper. A Kirk's dik-dik for example would be a cheap one :) And I go for quality over quantity.

Here you have a picture of someone else (RareBreed) on Shapeways who creates prehistoric animals:
Animals made in 3D by miniNature 674x501_534170_526687_1344731494
Animals made in 3D by miniNature 674x501_735888_607927_1350340692
Animals made in 3D by miniNature 674x501_684377_557779_1346976493
Animals made in 3D by miniNature 674x501_769065_685588_1354508361
This models are already printed. I think this is printed in the cheapest plastic material (white, Strong and Flexible) and he airbrushed it with grey paint. You can see all the details he made in 3D. I think it's stunning and my models will be detailed like that when they are printed.

ana wrote:
Good works and wow, that's interesting! I wonder if this is the future of designing animal figures Very Happy
I must learn it too perhaps scratch

Do You also sculpt in more traditional materials? :)
No, when I was a child I have made many animals of clay with my grandma, but these models were not worth to keep Razz

Last edited by miniNature on Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
SyLoBe

SyLoBe

Country/State : Spain

PostSubject: Re: Animals made in 3D by miniNature   Animals made in 3D by miniNature EmptyFri Jan 04, 2013 5:24 pm

Wow, nice work! I love the looking of the red images. Those are the programs I want to try some day :)

About the prices... Well, 160 euro for a 1:22 figurine is not a bit expensive, it´s VERY expensive.

Visit my art gallery at http://sylobe.deviantart.com/gallery/

I accept commissions!
Back to top Go down
http://sylobe.deviantart.com
miniNature

miniNature

PostSubject: Re: Animals made in 3D by miniNature   Animals made in 3D by miniNature EmptyFri Jan 04, 2013 5:36 pm

SyLoBe wrote:
Wow, nice work! I love the looking of the red images. Those are the programs I want to try some day :)

About the prices... Well, 160 euro for a 1:22 figurine is not a bit expensive, it´s VERY expensive.

Yes, the 1:22,5 scaled models are very expensive. But the 160 euro model is the solid version. The hollow version of that model is 40 euro cheaper, but I'll try to reduce the prices of the hollow models more, with thinner 'walls'. I think the hollow version of that model of 160 euro, I can reduce to 60 euro.
Back to top Go down
miniNature

miniNature

PostSubject: Re: Animals made in 3D by miniNature   Animals made in 3D by miniNature EmptyMon Jan 07, 2013 3:35 pm

I like to show you my new model! It's not ready yet. I must give him only a nice pose. Now it's still symmetric. I hope you'll like him:

Animals made in 3D by miniNature Sneakpeek03

Ana

Ana

Country/State : Utrecht/NL

PostSubject: Re: Animals made in 3D by miniNature   Animals made in 3D by miniNature EmptyMon Jan 07, 2013 6:15 pm

Wonderful work!!! Congratulations!!! cheers cheers sunny

Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
HKHollinstone

HKHollinstone

PostSubject: Re: Animals made in 3D by miniNature   Animals made in 3D by miniNature EmptyMon Jan 07, 2013 6:19 pm

Oh! He's beautiful, I'd just love to have a replica of him drunken

Back to top Go down
miniNature

miniNature

PostSubject: Re: Animals made in 3D by miniNature   Animals made in 3D by miniNature EmptyMon Jan 07, 2013 8:42 pm

Thanks! Very Happy

HKHollinstone wrote:
Oh! He's beautiful, I'd just love to have a replica of him drunken

That will be possible :) . Today or tomorrow I'll place the solid version on my site, so everyone will be able to 3D-print this model for themselves. This weekend I'll upload the hollow version, because now I don't have the best PC to hollow my model. (I'll make also a better hollow model of my giraffes, so they'll be cheaper)

widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Animals made in 3D by miniNature   Animals made in 3D by miniNature EmptyMon Jan 07, 2013 8:48 pm

miniNature wrote:
SyLoBe wrote:

Yes, the 1:22,5 scaled models are very expensive. But the 160 euro model is the solid version. The hollow version of that model is 40 euro cheaper, but I'll try to reduce the prices of the hollow models more, with thinner 'walls'. I think the hollow version of that model of 160 euro, I can reduce to 60 euro.

And what is the price for a Dik-Dik? And would the price cheaper if you would produce more animals??? scratch scratch

That is phantastic sunny sunny sunny sunny sunny sunny

STS members can merge Very Happy

sunny Andreas sunny
Back to top Go down
Fisva

Fisva

PostSubject: Re: Animals made in 3D by miniNature   Animals made in 3D by miniNature EmptyMon Jan 07, 2013 9:17 pm

I consider, is this used to create a model later with clay or something? scratch I know, it might be a stupid question, but I'm actually interested how such 3D model can be used to make a normal model bounce
Back to top Go down
STORMnl

STORMnl

Country/State : Nijmegen-Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: Animals made in 3D by miniNature   Animals made in 3D by miniNature EmptyMon Jan 07, 2013 10:05 pm

this is very intresting

i also create 3d models on my computer
but i create them for games

i can make everthing you want in 3ds

i use the programs;

milkshape
lightray
blender

for my 3ds models

also i use some convertion programs like

adobe photoshop cs5
3d exploration

and some other small programs

i make houses,,tanks ,,planes,,animals,figures,,cars

all for games

i work together with a german guy and a french guy

i make the models,
the french guy makes maps and models
the german guy,makes maps models and animation

i have some modelmappacks olready on the net
most are ww2 models,,because i make models for games

but i have ,,modern and old planes,,modern annd old army stuff

all kind of cars,houses tree's bushes,,etc etc

movie figures,,at this moment i work on a ww2 tank,,the Maus
just finished over 30 dinosaurs for some Jurassic maps in a game

Martien

btw,,i'm dutch to

and was olready thinking in making stuf like you do

miniNature

PostSubject: Re: Animals made in 3D by miniNature   Animals made in 3D by miniNature EmptyMon Jan 07, 2013 10:22 pm

widukind wrote:
miniNature wrote:
SyLoBe wrote:

And what is the price for a Dik-Dik? And would the price cheaper if you would produce more animals??? scratch scratch

That is phantastic sunny sunny sunny sunny sunny sunny

I can't told you exactly yet. Shapeways will calculate the price of the model when I've sent them a Dik-Dik model. I need first to finish a Dik-Dik, but I've a basic model of a Dik-Dik already, so I've tried to calculate the price: a 1:22,5 Dik-Dik (model is 2,4 cm high, 2,6 cm long and 6 mm wide) is less than 1 cm3, but because it's so tiny, he must be print in the highest detailed plastic. That material had a handling fee of $5 and $3,49 for each cm3, so I think a 1:22,5 Dik-Dik would be $8 = 6,15 euro. But I can do also other scales. a 1:10 Dik-Dik can print in cheaper materials so that would be $12 for a model that's 12,5x more material. Normaly it's not cheaper to produce more animals at the same time. You would pay for each cm3 material, but when you print more animals at the same time you'll pay only 1x shipping costs. Only the Strong-and-Flexible materials on Shapeways (that's the basic plastic) has a discount: 'For models that are greater than 10% dense (material volume divided by bounding box volume), after the first 20cm3, the remaining volume is calculated with a 50% discount.' You can watch here when you want to learn more about the pricing.

Fisva wrote:
I consider, is this used to create a model later with clay or something? I know, it might be a stupid question, but I'm actually interested how such 3D model can be used to make a normal model

Yes, this models can be used to create a solid & touchable model. This is done with a 3D Printer. A computer sent mine file to the printer and the 3D printers can print my model in different materials. Most common are plastic materials, but you can also print in different metals like steel, silver and gold and also materials like sandstone, ceramics, chocolate, paper and lots more. Just say a material and it's possible. This will grow very big in the future. Here you have a sample video of the basic plastic material Shapeways used. You can see how a 3D Printer works.

miniNature

miniNature

PostSubject: Re: Animals made in 3D by miniNature   Animals made in 3D by miniNature EmptyMon Jan 07, 2013 10:25 pm

STORMnl wrote:
this is very intresting

i also create 3d models on my computer
but i create them for games

i can make everthing you want in 3ds

i use the programs;

milkshape
lightray
blender

for my 3ds models

also i use some convertion programs like

adobe photoshop cs5
3d exploration

and some other small programs

i make houses,,tanks ,,planes,,animals,figures,,cars

all for games

i work together with a german guy and a french guy

i make the models,
the french guy makes maps and models
the german guy,makes maps models and animation

i have some modelmappacks olready on the net
most are ww2 models,,because i make models for games

but i have ,,modern and old planes,,modern annd old army stuff

all kind of cars,houses tree's bushes,,etc etc

movie figures,,at this moment i work on a ww2 tank,,the Maus
just finished over 30 dinosaurs for some Jurassic maps in a game

Martien

btw,,i'm dutch to

and was olready thinking in making stuf like you do

Nice! Do you have some pictures somewhere on the internet?

Fisva

Fisva

PostSubject: Re: Animals made in 3D by miniNature   Animals made in 3D by miniNature EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 8:58 am

Wow, that's very interesting! Shocked I haven't seen such things before... I haven't even thought that it is possible to print a figure... wow bounce
Back to top Go down
miniNature

miniNature

PostSubject: Re: Animals made in 3D by miniNature   Animals made in 3D by miniNature EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 3:16 pm

My first African Elephant model is finished! Very Happy

Here some images of the posed model:
Animals made in 3D by miniNature Renderafolifantm01
Animals made in 3D by miniNature Renderafolifantm02
Animals made in 3D by miniNature Renderafolifantm03

The solid version of this elephant bull is now available to print from my site. The far cheaper hollow models will be available this weekend.
I'll hope you'll like him! :)

cattlecollector

Country/State : U.S.A

PostSubject: Re: Animals made in 3D by miniNature   Animals made in 3D by miniNature EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 4:05 pm

I am a bit confused. scratch you make the model on the computer, and it somehow gets gets turned into a real 3D figure? Please correct me if I am wrong. I would love to try it though.
Back to top Go down
miniNature

miniNature

PostSubject: Re: Animals made in 3D by miniNature   Animals made in 3D by miniNature EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 4:20 pm

cattlecollector wrote:
I am a bit confused. scratch you make the model on the computer, and it somehow gets gets turned into a real 3D figure? Please correct me if I am wrong. I would love to try it though.

Yes, you're right. Here I found another clear video who shows another (cheaper and less accurate) 3D print technologie. I think this video shows on a good way, how a printer can build a 3D figure:

HKHollinstone

HKHollinstone

PostSubject: Re: Animals made in 3D by miniNature   Animals made in 3D by miniNature EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 4:49 pm

What is the material they're made from? Is it flexible?

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Animals made in 3D by miniNature   Animals made in 3D by miniNature Empty

Back to top Go down

Animals made in 3D by miniNature
Page 1 of 12Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next