Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Springhare/Springhaas

Go down 
+14
Kikimalou
PeGe
Mastiffcat
Joan Milelire
SeanieP
75senta75
SUSANNE
Saarlooswolfhound
HKHollinstone
Ana
Fisva
widukind
Philter4
jhudstone
18 posters
AuthorMessage
jhudstone

jhudstone

Country/State : USA/Minnesota

Springhare/Springhaas Empty
PostSubject: Springhare/Springhaas   Springhare/Springhaas EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 1:03 am

Hey folks, here is a new 1/24th sculpture I made of a large African rodent, the Springhare or Springhaas. You all always give such nice comments, but I would like to ask something unusual - along with the nice comments, could some of you (especially the accomplished artists) give a critique as well? I want to improve as as a sculptor and painter, and that will only happen if someone if willing to give some constructive criticism! :)

Thanks!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Philter4

Philter4

Country/State : Back and forth between East and West coast of the U.S.A.

PostSubject: Re: Springhare/Springhaas   Springhare/Springhaas EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 2:21 am

What a great choice of species! He is fantastic and I love the small scale, most of the time a small mammal would have been done in a much larger scale.
Back to top Go down
http://philter4@d-web.com
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Springhare/Springhaas   Springhare/Springhaas EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 7:51 am

Phantastic model- big congratulations!!!! cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers

You plan also copys??? Very Happy

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Fisva

Fisva

Country/State : Poland

PostSubject: Re: Springhare/Springhaas   Springhare/Springhaas EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 10:00 am

I admire your steady hand :) Making such a small figure requires loooots of patience. There is nothing to criticise :)
Back to top Go down
Ana

Ana

Country/State : Utrecht/NL

PostSubject: Re: Springhare/Springhaas   Springhare/Springhaas EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 10:10 am

It's incredible how small it is! I can only congratulate, it's wonderful work and in this scale I think it is as much details as possible. Wonderful work, I love it! Sad(o)):

Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
HKHollinstone

HKHollinstone

Country/State : England, CUMBRIA

PostSubject: Re: Springhare/Springhaas   Springhare/Springhaas EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 10:22 am

He's adorable Jake! I think it's fantastic, such a tiny figurine! Maybe the body could have been slightly longer. The distance between the front paws and the tip of the thigh is slightly too small I think?
But he's just so cute, congratulations cheers

Back to top Go down
http://hkhollinstone.weebly.com/
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Springhare/Springhaas   Springhare/Springhaas EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 3:54 pm

Great figure! Such detail for something so little.
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Springhare/Springhaas   Springhare/Springhaas EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 4:21 pm

Gosh ! It is incredible, WOW!!!! Sad(o)): Sad(o)): Sad(o)): Sad(o)): Sad(o)): Sad(o)): Sad(o)): Sad(o)): Sad(o)): Sad(o)): Sad(o)):

No matter how hard I try, I can`t find anything wrong..Harriet is such an expert, so she is right, of course, but I can`t see it Laughing Laughing Laughing

75senta75

75senta75

PostSubject: Re: Springhare/Springhaas   Springhare/Springhaas EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 5:09 pm

I'm not an artist - but, I must say, it's fantastic!
So well done. When I would see these cute Springhase in a shop, I woudn´t buy one - no, I would buy a group of them! So cute it is! I love you
Wow, very well done! I love you

______
Yvette
Back to top Go down
SeanieP

SeanieP

Country/State : Woburn (Boston), MA US

PostSubject: Re: Springhare/Springhaas   Springhare/Springhaas EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 5:20 pm

excellent figure...great work Jake.
Back to top Go down
jhudstone

jhudstone

PostSubject: Re: Springhare/Springhaas   Springhare/Springhaas EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 5:56 pm

Thanks for all the kind replies!

@ Harriet - yes, I can see that issue. I used this picture partly for reference, and the body is definitely longer:

I ended up making the legs a bit bigger in proportion for balance, but it does change the shape.

Thanks again!
Back to top Go down
Joan Milelire

Joan Milelire

Country/State : Catalonia

PostSubject: Re: Springhare/Springhaas   Springhare/Springhaas EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 6:04 pm

Really beautiful and small creation. I'm not sure if pink spots are from the picture or from your painting, maybe they're too much pink :)About painting again maybe color transitions might be blurred. You can find tutorials and different techniques in Internet to get good transitions between one color and another.

my handmade models: http://bestiari.weebly.com/     my models in facebook: https://www.facebook.com/bestiari.animal.replicas[/center]
Back to top Go down
http://bestiari.weebly.com/
jhudstone

jhudstone

PostSubject: Re: Springhare/Springhaas   Springhare/Springhaas EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 6:15 pm

Thanks Joan - I would say painting is harder for me than sculpting - that's a great idea to look for some paint transition tutorials; if anyone already knows of any, let me know!
Back to top Go down
Mastiffcat

Mastiffcat

Country/State : California

PostSubject: Re: Springhare/Springhaas   Springhare/Springhaas EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 11:38 pm

Bravo! lovely sculpt and excellent choice of species.
As Joan said, your paint job is charming, but your sculpt deserves more finesse.

The only comment i could make on the sculpt is that maybe you can improve the tail: it has a bend, instead of a curve and the poofy part maybe should extend further up the tail. If you can add texture to make the tail look lighter and fuzzier, it will look more like a tail and less like clay. but all that said, it is darling and very obviously a Springhare.

I got the biggest kick out of this photo: can you imagine how fun it would be to show it to a bunch of 5 year olds and ask them to tell you what is happening in the photo? Razz

jhudstone

PostSubject: Re: Springhare/Springhaas   Springhare/Springhaas EmptyWed Jan 30, 2013 12:26 am

Thanks Carolynn - I agree about the tail, it curved up a bit during curing. I wonder if I can heat and modify it.

And the final picture does look funny - I imagine the man was chasing the springhare only to run into his big friend, the maribou stork. :)
Back to top Go down
PeGe

PeGe

PostSubject: Re: Springhare/Springhaas   Springhare/Springhaas EmptyWed Jan 30, 2013 10:08 pm

Congrats! really nice one!

Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Springhare/Springhaas   Springhare/Springhaas EmptyWed Jan 30, 2013 10:17 pm

Really nice model and very good comments from our experts ! Could you share closer pics Jake ? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
pm64

pm64

Country/State : Firenze,Italy

PostSubject: Re: Springhare/Springhaas   Springhare/Springhaas EmptyThu Jan 31, 2013 12:26 am

EXCELLENT! And a very original choice! I wonder if u ever will make copies..it is so good!! If this is your first work I see a very bright future for you ....and us having the chance to look at your future models Sad(o)): Sad(o)): Sad(o)): Sad(o)):
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Springhare/Springhaas   Springhare/Springhaas EmptyThu Jan 31, 2013 6:34 am

pm64 wrote:
EXCELLENT! And a very original choice! I wonder if u ever will make copies..it is so good!! If this is your first work I see a very bright future for you ....and us having the chance to look at your future models Sad(o)): Sad(o)): Sad(o)): Sad(o)):
cheers cheers cheers

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
SeanieP

SeanieP

Country/State : Woburn (Boston), MA US

PostSubject: Re: Springhare/Springhaas   Springhare/Springhaas EmptyThu Jan 31, 2013 5:01 pm

Jake--do you plan on making copies of this little guy?
Back to top Go down
bjarki12

bjarki12

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Springhare/Springhaas   Springhare/Springhaas EmptyThu Jan 31, 2013 7:08 pm

Very nice job! What a great animal, too!
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Springhare/Springhaas   Springhare/Springhaas EmptyThu Jan 31, 2013 7:13 pm

SeanieP wrote:
Jake--do you plan on making copies of this little guy?

same question Very Happy

Back to top Go down
jhudstone

jhudstone

PostSubject: Re: Springhare/Springhaas   Springhare/Springhaas EmptyFri Feb 01, 2013 12:12 am

I would love to make copies, but quite frankly I would have no idea where to start...
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Springhare/Springhaas   Springhare/Springhaas EmptyFri Feb 01, 2013 2:08 am

I think the figure is really good and I am not saying it only to sound pleasant. :)
I think it is also an important step that you ask for constructive criticism. It is important for your development as a "replicator"!
Harriet is always very observant, if she comments anything it usually means that she is right but I only can see a great replica and a wonderful species. cheers

PostSubject: Baltimore zoo   Springhare/Springhaas EmptySun Feb 03, 2013 9:43 am

Good job!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Springhare/Springhaas   Springhare/Springhaas Empty

Back to top Go down

Springhare/Springhaas
Page 1 of 1