Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy animal WikiToy animal Wiki  HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Dictionary  Animal Toy forum  
Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Please vote for Show Us Yours of October! Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven
bounce bounce bounce Please check here the incredible line-up of Safari LTD for 2017! bounce bounce bounce

Share | 

Easy animal sculpting suggestions.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
cattlecollector

Country/State : U.S.A

PostSubject: Easy animal sculpting suggestions.   Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:15 pm

Hi everyone. I am kind of new to this sculpting thing, but I really enjoy doing it. I have made a few models, but they all turned out bad. Mad I think that the problem is that that I am trying animals that are too difficult. (Water buffalo and such). Does anybody have a suggestion for an easy animal that would be beginner friendly animal? I would love to hear everybody's input. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Ana

Country/State : come from Poland now live in The Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: Easy animal sculpting suggestions.   Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:17 pm

I think You can try tapirs or peccary? What do You think? :)

http://www.horseandbird.com
Fisva

Country/State : Poland

PostSubject: Re: Easy animal sculpting suggestions.   Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:50 pm

Well, I've started with bigger sculptures: I remember my very, very first one which was a gryphon, it was really bad. Later I've got some practice on My Little Pony customs, I've found out which materials are good and which are bad, I've learned how to paint, which paints should I use etc., what I should do and what I shouldn't. If you want to keep good proportions, print some pictures with the size that you want to have and use wires as a skeleton (I hadn't known that for a very long time Laughing ).
I must agree with Anna that tapirs are rather easy to sculpt, maybe also some rodents?
Back to top Go down
STORMnl

Country/State : Nijmegen-Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: Easy animal sculpting suggestions.   Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:47 pm

try prehistoric mammals

martien

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Easy animal sculpting suggestions.   Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:39 pm

I can't help too much. But I think I would start sculpting something based in a regular figure. For example, using the old Schleich hippo female or the new Mojo and almost copying it. So, I would easily see what was wrong comparing with a real thing. Starting with animals without delicate legs, horns, antlers or tails. Or the same project, trying to make a pygmy hippo, studying the differences with a common hippo but using the original figure to help me making what was similar.
If you want to make a little animal and unusual species, I agree with Agata, maybe a rodent, maybe a mountain beaver. I think there is no critical parts, maybe only it is hard to get the fur texture correctly. Very Happy
Well, only wanted to show that I also support your initiative but our talented friends of the forum will give you much better tips for sure. Very Happy

Country/State : USA/Minnesota

PostSubject: Re: Easy animal sculpting suggestions.   Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:19 pm

I am still learning, but one thing I do is find (or draw) pictures of that animal at different angles, and print them out at the size I want to sculpt the creature at. This provides a template to work off of.
Back to top Go down
cattlecollector

PostSubject: Re: Easy animal sculpting suggestions.   Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:42 am

Thanks for the help everybody! If I can ever figure out how to post pictures, I will post one of my "creations". Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Fisva

PostSubject: Re: Easy animal sculpting suggestions.   Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:13 am

@cattlecollector wrote:
Thanks for the help everybody! If I can ever figure out how to post pictures, I will post one of my "creations". Very Happy

You can upload them on imageshack.us , then you will have direct link to post on forum, the one with [img][/img] :)
Back to top Go down
Mastiffcat

Country/State : California

PostSubject: Re: Easy animal sculpting suggestions.   Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:41 pm

@STORMnl wrote:
try prehistoric mammals

martien
lol!

Country/State : GREECE

PostSubject: Re: Easy animal sculpting suggestions.   Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:31 pm

@cattlecollector wrote:
Does anybody have a suggestion for an easy animal that would be beginner friendly animal? I would love to hear everybody's input. Thanks!

Hello everybody. I found this video which can help some of you in making your own animal figures.It lasts a bit long but it is worth it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UoeyZ5G2VQ
Back to top Go down
Fisva

PostSubject: Re: Easy animal sculpting suggestions.   Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:46 pm

@VASILIS wrote:
@cattlecollector wrote:
Does anybody have a suggestion for an easy animal that would be beginner friendly animal? I would love to hear everybody's input. Thanks!

Hello everybody. I found this video which can help some of you in making your own animal figures.It lasts a bit long but it is worth it

I've posted it some time ago on forum :) I think it is very useful!
Back to top Go down
cattlecollector

PostSubject: Re: Easy animal sculpting suggestions.   Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:06 am

@Fisva wrote:
@VASILIS wrote:
@cattlecollector wrote:

I've posted it some time ago on forum :) I think it is very useful!
Yes, I saw that video in your post. It was very helpful, and gave lots of helpful tips. :)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Easy animal sculpting suggestions.   Today at 10:35 am

Back to top Go down

Easy animal sculpting suggestions.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1