Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

When 2013 SCHLEICH otter meet NAYAB otter : The walkaround

Go down 
+2
widukind
Kikimalou
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

When 2013 SCHLEICH otter meet NAYAB otter : The walkaround Empty
PostSubject: When 2013 SCHLEICH otter meet NAYAB otter : The walkaround   When 2013 SCHLEICH otter meet NAYAB otter : The walkaround EmptySat Feb 09, 2013 6:45 pm

The SCHLEICH otter wasn't on my wishlist but I decided to adopt one when I found them in a shop. Then I came back home and add it on my Mustelidae shelf just near the NAYAB otter. same scale, different pose... two good reasons to make a walkaround  Wink

The common otter (Lutra lutra) has sleek brown fur, which is often paler on the underside, and a long lithe body with a thick tail and short legs. Adaptations for an aquatic lifestyle include webbed feet, the ability to close the small ears and the nose when under water, and very dense, short fur which traps a layer of air to insulate the animal. Many sensitive hairs ('vibrissae') frame the snout; these help the otter to locate prey.
This otter differs from the North American river otter by its shorter neck, broader visage, the greater space between the ears and its longer tail.
Normally, this species is 57 to 95 cm long, not counting a tail of 35–45 cm. The female is shorter than the male.
The European otter is the most widely distributed otter species, its range including parts of Asia and Africa, as well as being spread across Europe.

The scale of both NAYAB and SCHLEICH model is between 1:12 and 1:17.

So here is my new otter  Very Happy

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by Kikimalou on Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: When 2013 SCHLEICH otter meet NAYAB otter : The walkaround   When 2013 SCHLEICH otter meet NAYAB otter : The walkaround EmptySat Feb 09, 2013 6:48 pm

A lovely otter sunny sunny sunny

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Ana

Ana

Country/State : Utrecht/NL

PostSubject: Re: When 2013 SCHLEICH otter meet NAYAB otter : The walkaround   When 2013 SCHLEICH otter meet NAYAB otter : The walkaround EmptySat Feb 09, 2013 7:27 pm

They are both lovely Very Happy Nayab looks more "aquatic" in shape, I don't know why, but maybe it's just feeling :)
Both look almost the same quality but schleich is about 6 times more expensive, yes? Shocked Today I watched mountain hare by Schleich and arctic hare by Nayab and they looked also very similar, despite the price Shocked

Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: When 2013 SCHLEICH otter meet NAYAB otter : The walkaround   When 2013 SCHLEICH otter meet NAYAB otter : The walkaround EmptySat Feb 09, 2013 7:43 pm

Very, very interesting comparison, and great walk-around, Christope cheers

Anna, I think the reason the Schleich otter doesn`t look aquatic is the head !
It is MUCH too large head !
The little, aerod....waterdynamic head is such an important character of the otter, that the Schleich otter doesn`t really look like an otter Crying or Very sad

The shape of the Nayab otter is also not too perfect, but it has the direct line from neck to head which is so typical otter .

Ana

Ana

Country/State : Utrecht/NL

PostSubject: Re: When 2013 SCHLEICH otter meet NAYAB otter : The walkaround   When 2013 SCHLEICH otter meet NAYAB otter : The walkaround EmptySat Feb 09, 2013 8:23 pm

SUSANNE wrote:
Very, very interesting comparison, and great walk-around, Christope cheers

Anna, I think the reason the Schleich otter doesn`t look aquatic is the head !
It is MUCH too large head !
The little, aerod....waterdynamic head is such an important character of the otter, that the Schleich otter doesn`t really look like an otter Crying or Very sad

The shape of the Nayab otter is also not too perfect, but it has the direct line from neck to head which is so typical otter .

Yes, I think You are right Susanne :) It must be the head size again scratch study

Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: When 2013 SCHLEICH otter meet NAYAB otter : The walkaround   When 2013 SCHLEICH otter meet NAYAB otter : The walkaround EmptySat Feb 09, 2013 11:48 pm

Forgeting the brands and using them as reference: general shape of an otter is more evident on Nayab figure, as told previously, head shape is not very correct on Schleich figure, paws and legs are more proportionate on Nayab figure, texture looks richer on Nayab, can't choose painting, Schleich face is somewhat lovelier than Nayab's. However the pose of Schleich is the same of 100 other Schleich figures with the traditional head turned and the face is the same formula of many other Schleich figures, I can remember some puppies, even the sea lion pup, etc. I don't find the Nayab an excelent figure, sometimes I don't like their rubberish plastic, but it looks Schleich is offering now a similar material. Here is a clear example why I am very disappointed with Schleich prices. As Ana commented, a Nayab Arctic hare is about 0,60 Euros here, Schleich otter is about 5 Euros. Bizarre! affraid It would be acceptable if differences of quality were notorious but I can't see it. MPV is selling it for 4,80 Euros, The same as 8 Nayab figures, 8 figures I repeat. Evil or Very Mad
CollectA otter, that is larger and better in all points, they even got the typical curiousity of the animal, is 4 Euros and the larger Safari River otter is 3,80. If that figure was about 2,50 Euros, it would join my collection, is nice enough but 5 Euros was what I've paid for a Lineol badger. I am not happy because I've bought the yellow and blue macaw for twice the price of the superior quality Safari figure, so I'll prevent making the same mistakes, year goes long and full of really excelent figures.
Sorry again for my negative comment. Congratulations for both figures and thanks for offering another great walk around and such an eloquent example what is Schleich now. cheers

scot(t)

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: When 2013 SCHLEICH otter meet NAYAB otter : The walkaround   When 2013 SCHLEICH otter meet NAYAB otter : The walkaround EmptySun Feb 10, 2013 2:11 am

That's a great walkaround and comparison! Thanks Christophe!
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: When 2013 SCHLEICH otter meet NAYAB otter : The walkaround   When 2013 SCHLEICH otter meet NAYAB otter : The walkaround EmptySun Feb 10, 2013 7:17 am

Thank you all for your comments  Very Happy

So... What can I save from this model ?  Laughing

First you are right, the head is to big... It is a SCHLEICH. Nevertheless European otters have broader face than other otters. The hindlegs are powerful and the tail is broad as it could be on a real otter and I appreciate this. The NAYAB have also something of a mongoose  scratch

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I agree the price is again outrageous, I agree the COLLECTA is better (I will catch it) but again this otter is IMHO one of the best SCHLEICH 2013 models. I was happy to discover some new SCHLEICH in the shop, the ara which WAS on my wishlist, the standing bear, the vulture and I was curious to see the peacock. Looking at them I discovered the otter was far better.  Laughing
About otters, I will go for the Japanese models now, even if they are a bit expensive.  Wink

Last edited by Kikimalou on Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
scot(t)

scot(t)

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: When 2013 SCHLEICH otter meet NAYAB otter : The walkaround   When 2013 SCHLEICH otter meet NAYAB otter : The walkaround EmptySun Feb 10, 2013 7:27 am

The Japanese brands definitely have the best otters and Mustelids in general. That Natural Monument Marten is just fantastic.

Christophe, did you get the Schleich Standing Bear? I just can't bring myself to buy it. (1) It looks to me like a human wearing a bear suit, and (2) the 2013 Papo looks to be so much better in quality.
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: When 2013 SCHLEICH otter meet NAYAB otter : The walkaround   When 2013 SCHLEICH otter meet NAYAB otter : The walkaround EmptySun Feb 10, 2013 7:32 am

scot(t) wrote:
The Japanese brands definitely have the best otters and Mustelids in general. That Natural Monument Marten is just fantastic.

Christophe, did you get the Schleich Standing Bear? I just can't bring myself to buy it. (1) It looks to me like a human wearing a bear suit, and (2) the 2013 Papo looks to be so much better in quality.

I will not buy it, even if I am on a standing bear mood now. It si not serious, the head is very very big and inexpressive What a Face You are absolutely right. And I will wait for the PAPO Wink
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: When 2013 SCHLEICH otter meet NAYAB otter : The walkaround   When 2013 SCHLEICH otter meet NAYAB otter : The walkaround EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 1:43 am

Christophe, my message is not that the Schleich otter is a terrible figure and that it it is not nice enough to join our collections. I was tempted to buy it and the beaver, only the unexplainable price removed me of doing it. They are small with a simple painting, they should be leveled in a lower price. If 2013 was a boring year I would buy them for sure but there is a lot of nice figures coming. bounce Very Happy

Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: When 2013 SCHLEICH otter meet NAYAB otter : The walkaround   When 2013 SCHLEICH otter meet NAYAB otter : The walkaround EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 6:03 am

Then you are more serious than me Rogério... And you are right Wink

And I still need to buy a few 2012 excellent models!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: When 2013 SCHLEICH otter meet NAYAB otter : The walkaround   When 2013 SCHLEICH otter meet NAYAB otter : The walkaround Empty

Back to top Go down

When 2013 SCHLEICH otter meet NAYAB otter : The walkaround
Page 1 of 1