Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

TSC's Customs (New: 22nd May)

Go down 
+17
Ana
sadie3112
Fisva
Hanne
LeeAnn
NandO
arafan
Pony
koniminiatures
Sumo
christinavanderschouw
JonasV
SyLoBe
widukind
Roger
Saarlooswolfhound
SUSANNE
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
koniminiatures

koniminiatures

Country/State : Finland

TSC's Customs (New: 22nd May) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: TSC's Customs (New: 22nd May)    TSC's Customs (New: 22nd May) - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 04, 2013 4:12 pm

TheSpottedCat wrote:
By the way, do anybody have any tips how to paint a flowing two coloured mane, as seen in the dun colouration?. I want to paint the old schleich brown icelandic horse in this colour, but I don't know how to work it with the all to windy mane.

It's reasonably easy to do in oils (wet white on wet black or vice versa, plus off-colour highlights of course); they blend easily and without grain, and the longish drying time allows one to tinker with the hair detail to one's heart's content. The gradation of colour is also relatively easy to achieve in pastels, although there one needs to apply the black on white unless the while pastel is an earth pigment, which is strong enough to cover even black. With pastel dust, getting grain in the colour is a worry, and dry pastels don't much allow for the creation of hair details (although those can be added by pencil, for example, later on).

A third way to do it that I've tried is by simple acrylics; wet white on well-dried black is perhaps easiest, although once the white, too, has dried, one may of course go over with black too, for hair detail and shading. Acrylics tend to dry fairly quickly, though, and that can give one grief with the smooth blending in of the two colours. I'd go for oils as a safe option, but do experiment on the different mediums first to find out which seems the most suitable. Also, a fine brush for any wet-paint work (that is, not pastel dust) is rather a requirement if you're going for hair detail - and: when I say "black and white", I by no means mean just black and white paint. Very Happy Do use muted browns, greys and even ochre for sun-bleached hair ends - a horse's mane is pretty much always multicoloured.

NandO

NandO

Country/State : indonesia

PostSubject: Re: TSC's Customs (New: 22nd May)    TSC's Customs (New: 22nd May) - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 05, 2013 3:14 am

cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers 

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
TheSpottedCat

TheSpottedCat

Country/State : Sweden

PostSubject: Re: TSC's Customs (New: 22nd May)    TSC's Customs (New: 22nd May) - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 10, 2013 10:57 am

Bad photos are bad. Hopefully getting new ones the day the camera stops being a bag full of fudge. But I think I start getting this stuff with painting my horses. I use acrylic by the way. With brushes... but I need smaller ones.
The palomino is my second ever try on doing a mane. The clay is terrible. And fragile.
Thank you very much by the way, Koni. But I actually asked how to paint a two-coloured mane the way long haired fjords mane is painted while in motion. I can not find any photos how the mane is then the horse is running.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
This comparison photo really show I have not much of an idea how to mix paints. Close, but not close enough! This photo is also older then the other ones. That is why some of the white is missing on the palomino.
Back to top Go down
LeeAnn

LeeAnn

Country/State : United States

PostSubject: Re: TSC's Customs (New: 22nd May)    TSC's Customs (New: 22nd May) - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 10, 2013 12:31 pm

Lovely repaints! I like the one on the Arabian. Very Happy

TheSpottedCat wrote:
...the way long haired fjords mane is painted while in motion. I can not find any photos how the mane is then the horse is running.
Like this? scratch

Hanne

Country/State : Belgium

PostSubject: Re: TSC's Customs (New: 22nd May)    TSC's Customs (New: 22nd May) - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 10, 2013 1:33 pm

Wow these are amazing! Very well done Applause 
Back to top Go down
Fisva

Fisva

Country/State : Poland

PostSubject: Re: TSC's Customs (New: 22nd May)    TSC's Customs (New: 22nd May) - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 10, 2013 3:18 pm

Awesome repaints! You did a fantastic job there! Applause Applause Applause 

widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: TSC's Customs (New: 22nd May)    TSC's Customs (New: 22nd May) - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 10, 2013 5:35 pm

Fisva wrote:
Awesome repaints! You did a fantastic job there! Applause Applause Applause 

I agree:!(o)): Applause Applause 

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: TSC's Customs (New: 22nd May)    TSC's Customs (New: 22nd May) - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 10, 2013 5:44 pm

GREAT repaints. drunken 

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: TSC's Customs (New: 22nd May)    TSC's Customs (New: 22nd May) - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 10, 2013 6:03 pm

Very beautiful repaints again! Very Happy I love palominos and you did a great work. Very Happy

TheSpottedCat

PostSubject: Re: TSC's Customs (New: 22nd May)    TSC's Customs (New: 22nd May) - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 14, 2013 11:34 am

Thank you everyone :)

Schleich_Figures_4U wrote:
Lovely repaints! I like the one on the Arabian. Very Happy

TheSpottedCat wrote:
...the way long haired fjords mane is painted while in motion. I can not find any photos how the mane is then the horse is running.
Like this? scratch

Yes, kind of like that. It's just that the old schleich icleandic have such a straight mane it is hard find a real horse where the mane is flying like it. But yes, very much like the picture you show here :)
Back to top Go down
LeeAnn

LeeAnn

PostSubject: Re: TSC's Customs (New: 22nd May)    TSC's Customs (New: 22nd May) - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 14, 2013 12:37 pm

TheSpottedCat wrote:
Yes, kind of like that. It's just that the old schleich icleandic have such a straight mane it is hard find a real horse where the mane is flying like it. But yes, very much like the picture you show here :)
Oh, I see what you mean. Maybe you can try adding a little clay for more dimension?

TheSpottedCat

PostSubject: Re: TSC's Customs (New: 22nd May)    TSC's Customs (New: 22nd May) - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 30, 2015 4:14 pm

Wanna see some more fugly attempts? Of course you will, what else are you in my thread for? Smile Not in any particular order.

This was supposed to be a black dun roan with badger face.
Pangare Flaxen Chestnut. The quality is horrible, and I don't know why it decided to be so bad. Maybe because of the molds heavy texture? I don't even feel like completing it because of it.
Bay Roan. Wanted it to look like a noriker. My first attempt with pastels. Mixed feelings. But look how beautiful he became! Forgot to take a picture of the other side, but it looks pretty much the same, no markings.
Bay Sabino. My pride and joy! So much fun to work with. So good looking. Very shiny, hard to take photos off.
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: TSC's Customs (New: 22nd May)    TSC's Customs (New: 22nd May) - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 30, 2015 7:26 pm

Very nice :)

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
sadie3112

sadie3112

Country/State : England

PostSubject: Re: TSC's Customs (New: 22nd May)    TSC's Customs (New: 22nd May) - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 31, 2015 11:13 am

Well done Very Happy I think the bay roan turned out great -especially as it was your first time using pastels sunny

LeeAnn

PostSubject: Re: TSC's Customs (New: 22nd May)    TSC's Customs (New: 22nd May) - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 31, 2015 1:15 pm

Lovely horses! Smile Are you working in acrylics (other than the drafter)? I think what might help you is watering down the acrylics and applying really thin layers. Then the color isn't so stark, and I think you'll like them better. Wink

JonasV

PostSubject: Re: TSC's Customs (New: 22nd May)    TSC's Customs (New: 22nd May) - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 31, 2015 3:05 pm

Gorgeous cheers I really like the Icelandic and Noriker. Absolutely great work on them all Shocked cheers cheers

Animals are my friends. I don't eat my friends. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
TheSpottedCat

TheSpottedCat

PostSubject: Re: TSC's Customs (New: 22nd May)    TSC's Customs (New: 22nd May) - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 01, 2015 8:40 pm

Thank you so much everyone. It feels so nice knowing people like them.

LeeAnn wrote:
Lovely horses! Smile Are you working in acrylics (other than the drafter)? I think what might help you is watering down the acrylics and applying really thin layers. Then the color isn't so stark, and I think you'll like them better. Wink

Yes, I use acrylics. I have tried watering them down, but as I only use a brush it is actually harder to get the paint even, so I learned to often use a thick layer to make it even and non-transparent. Watering it down also makes it harder to actually stick to the figurine and sometimes washes of and mushes paint.
Back to top Go down
JonasV

JonasV

PostSubject: Re: TSC's Customs (New: 22nd May)    TSC's Customs (New: 22nd May) - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 02, 2015 9:45 am

TheSpottedCat wrote:

LeeAnn wrote:

Yes, I use acrylics. I have tried watering them down, but as I only use a brush it is actually harder to get the paint even, so I learned to often use a thick layer to make it even and non-transparent. Watering it down also makes it harder to actually stick to the figurine and sometimes washes of and mushes paint.

Actually I like just this style. It's easy to see many delicious color and tones but still the horses look amazing.. Your style is great drunken cheers

Animals are my friends. I don't eat my friends. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
TheSpottedCat

TheSpottedCat

PostSubject: Re: TSC's Customs (New: 22nd May)    TSC's Customs (New: 22nd May) - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 07, 2015 8:46 pm

JonasV wrote:
TheSpottedCat wrote:

LeeAnn wrote:

Actually I like just this style. It's easy to see many delicious color and tones but still the horses look amazing.. Your style is great drunken cheers

Aww, thank you Jonas.
Back to top Go down
TheSpottedCat

TheSpottedCat

PostSubject: Re: TSC's Customs (New: 22nd May)    TSC's Customs (New: 22nd May) - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 12:49 pm

This one actually looks a lot better in real life... and I did not in fact realize the braid thingies was red on the original colour either... I think I learned a lot from painting this one.
This one turned out far to orange X/ and uneven... suddenly I knew nothing... might need to fix more with it. What do you think?
I was inspired from this picture of a tobiano fjord. Apparently fjords had a much wider range of colours way back.
Back to top Go down
Ana

Ana

Country/State : Utrecht/NL

PostSubject: Re: TSC's Customs (New: 22nd May)    TSC's Customs (New: 22nd May) - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 2:33 pm

Wow, I love the palomino horse (or is it Haflinger?) wonderful! cheers Applause
Tobiano Fjord is also lovely, just may be the colour is a bit too bright, even for a bright chestnut. study

Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
TheSpottedCat

TheSpottedCat

PostSubject: Re: TSC's Customs (New: 22nd May)    TSC's Customs (New: 22nd May) - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 17, 2015 8:00 pm

Ana wrote:
Wow, I love the palomino horse (or is it Haflinger?) wonderful! cheers Applause
Tobiano Fjord is also lovely, just may be the colour is a bit too bright, even for a bright chestnut. study

Aw, thank you. It's supposed to be a silver bay, but it would probably work as a sooty palomino too.
Back to top Go down
TheSpottedCat

TheSpottedCat

PostSubject: Re: TSC's Customs (New: 22nd May)    TSC's Customs (New: 22nd May) - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 09, 2016 2:30 pm

I would like to have some critique over this model. It's not done yet. It still have some details to be done, like some paint around it's private parts I forgot.
I also forgot taking photos of the belly, which I also have covered in clay.
I wanted to have a lot more tiny spots, like speckles, of white but the texture makes it hard or impossible to make them between the hairs. Any tips? Excuse the shininess. It was hard taking good photos of it all.
Does it look leopard complex enough? Or is the eye-white to much? I did not see much speckles around the eyes or mouth on the real horse I looked at for reference.

Back to top Go down
LeeAnn

LeeAnn

PostSubject: Re: TSC's Customs (New: 22nd May)    TSC's Customs (New: 22nd May) - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 09, 2016 5:35 pm

He looks good! I would try blending the white into the body color a little more, especially on the thigh. The hooves should be grey, since they are on black legs. The leg with the white sock is good though. Look carefully at the reference, it might have stripes on the hooves too since it's an appy pattern. A little mottling should be alright, maybe find another similar reference?

Overall though you did a really nice job cheers

JonasV

PostSubject: Re: TSC's Customs (New: 22nd May)    TSC's Customs (New: 22nd May) - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 09, 2016 6:31 pm

He's beautiful cheers I personally think it's not easy to get this color look natural but I think you've done it really well. For the smallest hairs you were struggling with maybe try with a small stick like those that are meant for teeth Razz

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: TSC's Customs (New: 22nd May)    TSC's Customs (New: 22nd May) - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

TSC's Customs (New: 22nd May)
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next