Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Britains a year of celebration ..............

Go down 
+10
sauroid
baltimore zoo
Kikimalou
Saarlooswolfhound
Roger
scot(t)
mreyder
widukind
Ana
Chris Sweetman
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Chris Sweetman

Chris Sweetman

Country/State : Nottinghamshire England

Britains a year of celebration .............. Empty
PostSubject: Britains a year of celebration ..............   Britains a year of celebration .............. EmptySat Feb 23, 2013 8:18 pm

Britains were founded in 1893 by William Britain Jnr. The first products were hollow-cast lead soliders.

Military items were the main theme until 1921 when Britains introduced their Home Farm range.

Then in 1930 came the Zoo range.

Little changed until the mid 1950's when Britains were concerned about plastic being the future of modelling figures and animals. In 1954 Zang exhibited at the Brighton toy Fair in England and merger talks with Britains follow shortly as a result. In 1955 Herald Miniatures Ltd, the new name for Zang's firm, is registered to facilitate the merger. 1959 sees the merger of Herald and Britains completed although the two companies remain autonomous.

During the 1960's the farm and zoo ranges rapidly expand with figures and animals made in plastic. The Floral Garden range is introduced in 1960 and follows on from a similar range Britains developed in the 1930's in lead. Britains were right the future really was with plastic.

The Britains family sells their firm to Dobson Park in 1984.

So I wonder how Britains current owners will celebrate 120 years?

Ana

Ana

Country/State : Utrecht/NL

PostSubject: Re: Britains a year of celebration ..............   Britains a year of celebration .............. EmptySat Feb 23, 2013 8:27 pm

That's very interesting! I hope they will do some new animal figures for that occasion, that would be nice. Or, at least one new animal, preferably wild and exotic Very Happy

Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Britains a year of celebration ..............   Britains a year of celebration .............. EmptySat Feb 23, 2013 8:35 pm

Ana wrote:
That's very interesting! I hope they will do some new animal figures for that occasion, that would be nice. Or, at least one new animal, preferably wild and exotic Very Happy

I cant that better say sunny sunny

STS members can merge Very Happy

sunny Andreas sunny
Back to top Go down
Chris Sweetman

Chris Sweetman

PostSubject: Re: Britains a year of celebration ..............   Britains a year of celebration .............. EmptySun Feb 24, 2013 1:21 pm

To start my personal celebration here is a selection of Britains plastic Zoo/Wild Life animal range dating from 1960 to the late 1970's:

Britains a year of celebration .............. 8503551132_735296c6a3_c
Britains Out of Africa selection by Chris*4, on Flickr

This selection represents animals "Out of Africa"! Very Happy

I dedicate this image to Anna because she gave me the idea for this display. :)

Ana

Ana

PostSubject: Re: Britains a year of celebration ..............   Britains a year of celebration .............. EmptySun Feb 24, 2013 1:46 pm

Wonderful photo Chris, I like very much everything on it, colors, figures selection, composition. Thank You very much for dedication! Very Happy Embarassed sunny And what a nice way to start celebration here Very Happy

Also, again we see how nice animals figures can look together when they are all in the same scale Very Happy They are beautiful figures :)

Back to top Go down
Chris Sweetman

Chris Sweetman

PostSubject: Re: Britains a year of celebration ..............   Britains a year of celebration .............. EmptySun Feb 24, 2013 3:11 pm

Ana wrote:
Wonderful photo Chris, I like very much everything on it, colors, figures selection, composition. Thank You very much for dedication! Very Happy Embarassed sunny And what a nice way to start celebration here Very Happy

Also, again we see how nice animals figures can look together when they are all in the same scale Very Happy They are beautiful figures :)

It is a pleasure to dedicate this image to you Anna. My wife, Jane, assisted with the composition. :)

I love Britains too for keeping to a scale for their models and I agree the figures are really nice.

Chris Sweetman

Chris Sweetman

PostSubject: Re: Britains a year of celebration ..............   Britains a year of celebration .............. EmptySun Feb 24, 2013 3:31 pm

My second celebration image features Britains "Big Cats". So with a foot in Africa we step "Into Asia":

Britains a year of celebration .............. 8503862756_0a141c4bc4_c
Britains Big Cats by Chris*4, on Flickr

Which is your favourite?

Chris Sweetman

Chris Sweetman

PostSubject: Re: Britains a year of celebration ..............   Britains a year of celebration .............. EmptySun Feb 24, 2013 5:49 pm

Here is a different take on the classic museum specimen tray:

Britains a year of celebration .............. 8503156037_3427fb2318_z
Britains museum style specian tray 1 by Chris*4, on Flickr

Enjoy! Very Happy

Ana

Ana

PostSubject: Re: Britains a year of celebration ..............   Britains a year of celebration .............. EmptyMon Feb 25, 2013 12:22 pm

Wonderful photos again Very Happy My favorites form big cats photo are lion male and the tiger which is just next to him cat
I like the species selection on the other picture too, it looks like perfect first set of animals for any kid, it would make very good miniature zoo Very Happy . Were these animals together in a set like this? :)

Back to top Go down
mreyder

mreyder

Country/State : Holland

PostSubject: Re: Britains a year of celebration ..............   Britains a year of celebration .............. EmptyMon Feb 25, 2013 4:20 pm

Animals were sold seperately and also in many different kinds of sets.
Back to top Go down
http://www.bokkerijdersburcht.nl/britains
Chris Sweetman

Chris Sweetman

PostSubject: Re: Britains a year of celebration ..............   Britains a year of celebration .............. EmptyMon Feb 25, 2013 10:23 pm

Ana wrote:
Wonderful photos again Very Happy My favorites form big cats photo are lion male and the tiger which is just next to him cat
I like the species selection on the other picture too, it looks like perfect first set of animals for any kid, it would make very good miniature zoo Very Happy . Were these animals together in a set like this? :)

Thank you Anna.

The two big cats you like are what I call 2nd series models with both replacing previous poses in 1972.

I agree the tray holds a perfect first set of animals for children of all ages! Very Happy However, this is how I store the animal figures I don't have room to display they weren't from a specific set.

Chris Sweetman

Chris Sweetman

PostSubject: Re: Britains a year of celebration ..............   Britains a year of celebration .............. EmptyMon Feb 25, 2013 10:25 pm

Now for a celebration of birds from the Britains Zoo collection:

Britains a year of celebration .............. 8503407575_20b5b81bf7_b
Britains birds from their Zoo range by Chris*4, on Flickr

Very Happy

scot(t)

scot(t)

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Britains a year of celebration ..............   Britains a year of celebration .............. EmptyTue Feb 26, 2013 12:09 am

lovely photos chris! really wonderful. thank you for sharing.
Back to top Go down
Chris Sweetman

Chris Sweetman

PostSubject: Re: Britains a year of celebration ..............   Britains a year of celebration .............. EmptyTue Feb 26, 2013 12:12 am

scot(t) wrote:
lovely photos chris! really wonderful. thank you for sharing.

Many thanks Scott - it is always fun to share! Very Happy

Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Britains a year of celebration ..............   Britains a year of celebration .............. EmptyTue Feb 26, 2013 12:55 am

Wonderful introduction and fantastic commemorative pictures!!! cheers
Again, I have to say that I love Britains figures, your African group shows that scale is also very important in terms of realism. Your figures are in fantastic condition but paintwork is usually very simple, howeve everything looks so clever, so nice. Very Happy Even if we make a selection of the best painted and sculpted African animals from modern brands it would never look so nice as in your first picture. Very Happy
And the birds, they couldn't be unpainted and we would easily recognize them. Everything is so delicate, so beautiful. If 120th year is commemorated with a figure, even if it is with a 1:32 replica of an ant, I'll want it and also a Jeol microscope! Laughing

Chris Sweetman

PostSubject: Re: Britains a year of celebration ..............   Britains a year of celebration .............. EmptyTue Feb 26, 2013 1:20 am

Roger wrote:
Wonderful introduction and fantastic commemorative pictures!!! cheers
Again, I have to say that I love Britains figures, your African group shows that scale is also very important in terms of realism. Your figures are in fantastic condition but paintwork is usually very simple, howeve everything looks so clever, so nice. Very Happy Even if we make a selection of the best painted and sculpted African animals from modern brands it would never look so nice as in your first picture. Very Happy
And the birds, they couldn't be unpainted and we would easily recognize them. Everything is so delicate, so beautiful. If 120th year is commemorated with a figure, even if it is with a 1:32 replica of an ant, I'll want it and also a Jeol microscope! Laughing

Many thanks Roger. I appreciate your comments here. For me anything from the Britains 1960's range is a reminder of happy childhood days. It was a special treat to add a zoo animal or a soldier to my "collection". I too have a thing about scale perhaps being bought up on Britains has something to do with this! It is truly wonderful to see a collection of toy animals all to the same scale.

A 1:32nd scale replica of an ant would be fabulous - but remember don't sneeze anywhere near it if they do decide to make one! Laughing

Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Britains a year of celebration ..............   Britains a year of celebration .............. EmptyTue Feb 26, 2013 1:28 am

Great collection and photos. My mom has a love for antiques, and I inherited that trait somewhat for an interest in old toys, I am enjoying this thread. Keep it coming! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Britains a year of celebration ..............   Britains a year of celebration .............. EmptyTue Feb 26, 2013 3:05 am

Saarlooswolfhound wrote:
Great collection and photos. My mom has a love for antiques, and I inherited that trait somewhat for an interest in old toys, I am enjoying this thread. Keep it coming! Very Happy

What and who is antique here confused ... Laughing Laughing Laughing

Thank you for the god pics Chris, I hope I will find enough time tomorrow to add a celebration pic too Sleep Wink
Back to top Go down
Ana

Ana

PostSubject: Re: Britains a year of celebration ..............   Britains a year of celebration .............. EmptyTue Feb 26, 2013 9:21 am

Oh, the group of birds is very nice! Thank You for sharing Chris Very Happy I'm lucky owner of one version of pelican and two penguins too Very Happy One day I will look for eagle and ostrich (but with not movable neck) too :) Is it a condor sitting on the branch? on the right side of the pic?

Back to top Go down
Chris Sweetman

Chris Sweetman

PostSubject: Re: Britains a year of celebration ..............   Britains a year of celebration .............. EmptyTue Feb 26, 2013 10:47 pm

Saarlooswolfhound wrote:

Glad to hear you enjoying this thread Paige. :) Nice to know your mum is behind your collecting.

Kikimalou wrote:
Saarlooswolfhound wrote:

What and who is antique here confused ... Laughing Laughing Laughing

Thank you for the god pics Chris, I hope I will find enough time tomorrow to add a celebration pic too Sleep Wink

Christophe, many thanks for your comments and I did find time to post another celebration picture today. Very Happy

Ana wrote:
Oh, the group of birds is very nice! Thank You for sharing Chris Very Happy I'm lucky owner of one version of pelican and two penguins too Very Happy One day I will look for eagle and ostrich (but with not movable neck) too :) Is it a condor sitting on the branch? on the right side of the pic?

Hi Anna - always happy to share. The ostrich, without movable neck, was available in two types of plastic. It will be quite hard to find in mint condition in the older type of plastic but not has hard as the PVC version! I like the ostrich with the movable neck because it allows variation in the "flock"! :) The earlier pelican with open break has the "Herald" symbol on it's base. Good luck in finding the older ostrich and eagle. The bird on a branch is called a vulture by Britians. I tried to identify the species but to no avail. But I agree it does have the shape of a condor.

Last edited by Chris Sweetman on Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrisstar4/
Chris Sweetman

Chris Sweetman

PostSubject: Re: Britains a year of celebration ..............   Britains a year of celebration .............. EmptyTue Feb 26, 2013 10:49 pm

Now for the "Out of Asia" Britains line:

Britains a year of celebration .............. 8503962540_f9f5cf4817_b
Britains Out of Asia selection by Chris*4, on Flickr

Enjoy! Very Happy

Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Britains a year of celebration ..............   Britains a year of celebration .............. EmptyTue Feb 26, 2013 11:48 pm

Chris Sweetman wrote:
Now for the "Out of Asia" Britains line:
Enjoy! Very Happy

Great pic Very Happy ... scratch ... But no tigers and Orang-utan? Wink

Here is a small contribution: The sable antelopes, from the lead to the last Laughing

Britains a year of celebration .............. _1040760

Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Britains a year of celebration ..............   Britains a year of celebration .............. EmptyTue Feb 26, 2013 11:58 pm

Laughing Hahah, I prevent to sneeze anytime I see the Britains "Giant" anteater, so I'll be carefull with the ant as long as they decide to make it. I've never seen in real a Britains platypus but I know it is really small. Very Happy
This new fantastic picture, has surely some fantastic figures. When we are only used with modern brands, we only feel confortable comparing the larger Britains with other brands. When I received this Indian rhino and compared with the retired from Schleich, I've got shocked with the difference in quality in terms of sculpting. The Britains sculptor really knew what animal he was sculpting while the Schleich looks like someone tried to guess the shape from a poor source of pictures. geek
Looking forward to see next picture. bounce bounce
Thanks Christophe also for your sable train. Very Happy

scot(t)

PostSubject: Re: Britains a year of celebration ..............   Britains a year of celebration .............. EmptyThu Feb 28, 2013 6:39 am

Boy, I can never get over how fantastic that Britains Indian Rhino is. Like Roger pointed out, comparing it to the Schleich leaves the Schleich (or both of the Schleichs) in the dust. The Britains is just fantastic. This is a great thread Chris! Thank you.

I love those Sables Christophe! Thank you for the picture.
Back to top Go down
Chris Sweetman

Chris Sweetman

PostSubject: Re: Britains a year of celebration ..............   Britains a year of celebration .............. EmptyFri Mar 01, 2013 12:12 am

Thanks Roger and Scott. Very Happy

Hopefully, I will find time at the weekend for taking more pics which will include apes and monkeys.

And to Christophe your Sable antelope collection is superb! Thanks for including this image. Very Happy

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Britains a year of celebration ..............   Britains a year of celebration .............. Empty

Back to top Go down

Britains a year of celebration ..............
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next