Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Best dinosaur figures ? Sauropodomorphs and other dinos considerations... And Black rhinos too

Go down 
+17
sauroid
scot(t)
schleich61
Florian
orcagirl26
twl005
chriskng
Roger
diversity
WILLYBACOMAN
Gabe
Ana
Rio
Sergey
SUSANNE
HKHollinstone
Kikimalou
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

Best dinosaur figures ? Sauropodomorphs and other dinos considerations... And Black rhinos too - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best dinosaur figures ? Sauropodomorphs and other dinos considerations... And Black rhinos too    Best dinosaur figures ? Sauropodomorphs and other dinos considerations... And Black rhinos too - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 08, 2013 1:43 am

If you are looking for accurate models of dinosaurs, go for SAFARI Ltd or KINTO favorite.
Back to top Go down
chriskng

Country/State : CA/USA

Best dinosaur figures ? Sauropodomorphs and other dinos considerations... And Black rhinos too - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best dinosaur figures ? Sauropodomorphs and other dinos considerations... And Black rhinos too    Best dinosaur figures ? Sauropodomorphs and other dinos considerations... And Black rhinos too - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 08, 2013 6:54 am

Can someone tell me what the different between the regular Safari dinosaurs and the Carnegie collection? Are they more detail? Are they the same scale?
Back to top Go down
schleich61

Country/State : Northern California, U.S.A.

PostSubject: Re: Best dinosaur figures ? Sauropodomorphs and other dinos considerations... And Black rhinos too    Best dinosaur figures ? Sauropodomorphs and other dinos considerations... And Black rhinos too - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 08, 2013 7:54 am

Last edited by schleich61 on Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.schleichcollector.blogspot.com
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Best dinosaur figures ? Sauropodomorphs and other dinos considerations... And Black rhinos too    Best dinosaur figures ? Sauropodomorphs and other dinos considerations... And Black rhinos too - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 08, 2013 9:10 am

chriskng wrote:
Can someone tell me what the different between the regular Safari dinosaurs and the Carnegie collection?  Are they more detail?  Are they the same scale?

Without being an expert, I have the impression that they are both very fine, but Wild Safari Dinoes has a few odd ones, like the cute babies and such . scratch 

scot(t)

scot(t)

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Best dinosaur figures ? Sauropodomorphs and other dinos considerations... And Black rhinos too    Best dinosaur figures ? Sauropodomorphs and other dinos considerations... And Black rhinos too - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 09, 2013 8:13 am

chriskng wrote:
Can someone tell me what the different between the regular Safari dinosaurs and the Carnegie collection?  Are they more detail?  Are they the same scale?
I don't think there are simple generalizations here that are going to hold consistently. The Carnegie line is supposed to be a "museum" line (more accurate, more aimed to the collector) but some of the Wild Safari dinosaurs are (in my view) absolutely wonderful and preferable to their Carnegie counterparts (for example, I love the Wild Safari Triceratops and I like it more than any of the Carnegies). So it's a mixed bag and there isn't an easy answer. You'll really have to look at each model individually.

However, when the Carnegie series succeeds, it really succeeds. (You'll have to take my opinions with a grain of salt. I would take my Safari dinosaurs any day over my Papos. There isn't a single Papo dinosaur that I prefer to my most favored Safaris.) The Carnegie Giganotosaurus and Diplodocus are just awesome.

But ultimately, I try not to get too stuck on just one brand. Similarly, I try not to form a bias against any brands either. My favorite Parasaurolophus is the Schleich Replica-saurus from 2007 I think. I realize that most collectors think Schleich dinosaurs are horrible. And they often are. But I don't want to make the mistake of missing out on a great model because I am biased against a brand. Likewise, I don't particularly like CollectA dinosaur models in general. But I have their Psittacosaurus and Plateosaurus and I love them. (Their Therizinosaurus also looks good.)

Back to top Go down
sauroid

sauroid

Country/State : usa

PostSubject: Re: Best dinosaur figures ? Sauropodomorphs and other dinos considerations... And Black rhinos too    Best dinosaur figures ? Sauropodomorphs and other dinos considerations... And Black rhinos too - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 09, 2013 8:18 am

chriskng wrote:
Papo dinosaur figures are amazing but there is so few of them.  There are so many dinosaurs missing from Papo line.  I don't usually stick to one brand but Papo dinosaur figures are just better than every other brand by a mile.  With that said, which brand make the next best looking dinosaurs figures after Papo?
if size isn't an issue, you should check out Kaiyodo's dinotales series, as well as other japanese brands
Back to top Go down
chriskng

PostSubject: Re: Best dinosaur figures ? Sauropodomorphs and other dinos considerations... And Black rhinos too    Best dinosaur figures ? Sauropodomorphs and other dinos considerations... And Black rhinos too - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 09, 2013 9:12 am

schleich61 wrote:
Kikimalou wrote:
If you are looking for accurate models of dinosaurs, go for SAFARI Ltd or KINTO favorite.
What do you think of Battat's dinos, Christophe? scratch 
sauroid wrote:
chriskng wrote:
Papo dinosaur figures are amazing but there is so few of them.  There are so many dinosaurs missing from Papo line.  I don't usually stick to one brand but Papo dinosaur figures are just better than every other brand by a mile.  With that said, which brand make the next best looking dinosaurs figures after Papo?
if size isn't an issue, you should check out Kaiyodo's dinotales series, as well as other japanese brands
I have never heard either of those brand, let me check Amazon.

Doesn't come up with anything.
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Best dinosaur figures ? Sauropodomorphs and other dinos considerations... And Black rhinos too    Best dinosaur figures ? Sauropodomorphs and other dinos considerations... And Black rhinos too - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 09, 2013 9:27 am

schleich61 wrote:
Kikimalou wrote:
I think they are not in the same category... Papo, Safari and Kinto are available and still in production. Battat are beautiful, accurate and sought after but are retired and some are very very very expensive. Shocked  Wink 
Back to top Go down
sauroid

sauroid

PostSubject: Re: Best dinosaur figures ? Sauropodomorphs and other dinos considerations... And Black rhinos too    Best dinosaur figures ? Sauropodomorphs and other dinos considerations... And Black rhinos too - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 09, 2013 10:31 am

chriskng wrote:
schleich61 wrote:
Kikimalou wrote:
sauroid wrote:
chriskng wrote:
I have never heard either of those brand, let me check Amazon.

Doesn't come up with anything.  
check this out, there are a lot of them here:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
schleich61

Country/State : Northern California, U.S.A.

PostSubject: Re: Best dinosaur figures ? Sauropodomorphs and other dinos considerations... And Black rhinos too    Best dinosaur figures ? Sauropodomorphs and other dinos considerations... And Black rhinos too - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 09, 2013 10:08 pm

Last edited by schleich61 on Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.schleichcollector.blogspot.com
Bloodrayne

Bloodrayne

Country/State : Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: Best dinosaur figures ? Sauropodomorphs and other dinos considerations... And Black rhinos too    Best dinosaur figures ? Sauropodomorphs and other dinos considerations... And Black rhinos too - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 09, 2013 11:40 pm

In my opinion, nothing compares to Papo dinosaurs when it comes to detail, sculpt, paintwork and size.
But the fact is that it's only Papo's interpretation of what a dino should look like and many people say they are not accurate and based on Jurasic Park fiction movie dinosaurs.

...and they are probably right...

So when you only care about beauty, collect Papo and nothing else.
When you care a lot about paleontology, be ready for some inferior looking dinos....and love them for their accuracy.

scot(t)

PostSubject: Re: Best dinosaur figures ? Sauropodomorphs and other dinos considerations... And Black rhinos too    Best dinosaur figures ? Sauropodomorphs and other dinos considerations... And Black rhinos too - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 11, 2013 3:53 am

Bloodrayne wrote:

When you care a lot about paleontology, be ready for some inferior looking dinos....and love them for their accuracy.
I think saying that one should "be ready for some inferior looking dinos" overstates the case. There's no question that Papo dinosaurs are beautifully sculpted. There are very few (perhaps no) duds in the Papo line when it comes to dynamic, life-like, wonderfully textured, well painted dinosaurs. Their dinosaurs always seem completely alive to me, and I love that. Moreover, some Papo dinosaurs are masterpieces; no question -- in my view, the Allosaurus and the Carnotaurus in particular. But it seems far-fetched to say that the Safari models like the recent Diplodocus, the Miragaia, or the Giganotosaurus are "inferior looking" (or the Tyrannosaurus, Allosaurus, and Styracosaurus by Favorite/Kinto). Putting aside accuracy for the moment (and putting aside Kinto/Favorite), Papo seems to be by far the most consistently strong line of dinosaurs currently available. But other companies make specific figures that are as good as the Papos.
Back to top Go down
sauroid

sauroid

PostSubject: Re: Best dinosaur figures ? Sauropodomorphs and other dinos considerations... And Black rhinos too    Best dinosaur figures ? Sauropodomorphs and other dinos considerations... And Black rhinos too - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 11, 2013 5:09 pm

Papo figures have the appearance of resin figures, and as detailed. if only they were scientifically accurate (although they do have certain figures that could be considered accurate), Papo would be the best brand in the world.
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Best dinosaur figures ? Sauropodomorphs and other dinos considerations... And Black rhinos too    Best dinosaur figures ? Sauropodomorphs and other dinos considerations... And Black rhinos too - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 13, 2013 9:23 pm

look here

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Best dinosaur figures ? Sauropodomorphs and other dinos considerations... And Black rhinos too    Best dinosaur figures ? Sauropodomorphs and other dinos considerations... And Black rhinos too - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 13, 2013 10:25 pm

Bloodrayne wrote:
In my opinion, nothing compares to Papo dinosaurs when it comes to detail, sculpt, paintwork and size.
But the fact is that it's only Papo's interpretation of what a dino should look like and many people say they are not accurate and based on Jurasic Park fiction movie dinosaurs.

...and they are probably right...

Beauty is often in the eyes of the lover drunken   I think Papo dinosaurs are often beautiful... But I also think that SAFARI Ltd triceratops, postosuchus, Nigersaurus, Brachiosaurus and apatosaurus are, at least, as beautiful as Papo Wink 
Back to top Go down
chriskng

PostSubject: Re: Best dinosaur figures ? Sauropodomorphs and other dinos considerations... And Black rhinos too    Best dinosaur figures ? Sauropodomorphs and other dinos considerations... And Black rhinos too - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 31, 2013 9:18 am

schleich61 wrote:
Kikimalou wrote:
I think they are great but are retire and cost re-seller price. I can't say the same about Invicta though.
Back to top Go down
docronnie

Country/State : Philippines

PostSubject: Re: Best dinosaur figures ? Sauropodomorphs and other dinos considerations... And Black rhinos too    Best dinosaur figures ? Sauropodomorphs and other dinos considerations... And Black rhinos too - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 31, 2013 7:50 pm

I don't have a Papo, so I could not really compare, but with all the lines that I have, the Kaiyodos and the Kinto Favorites seem to top them all. I simply melt in awe when I review them.

There are some Carnegies in my collection that are beautiful.
Back to top Go down
scot(t)

scot(t)

PostSubject: Re: Best dinosaur figures ? Sauropodomorphs and other dinos considerations... And Black rhinos too    Best dinosaur figures ? Sauropodomorphs and other dinos considerations... And Black rhinos too - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 03, 2013 5:33 am

docronnie wrote:
I don't have a Papo, so I could not really compare, but with all the lines that I have, the Kaiyodos and the Kinto Favorites seem to top them all. I simply melt in awe when I review them.

There are some Carnegies in my collection that are beautiful.
I agree. The Kaiyodos and Kinto/Favorites really are wonderful. (Papos are great too, though, no doubt about it.)
Back to top Go down
Ana

Ana

Country/State : Utrecht/NL

PostSubject: Re: Best dinosaur figures ? Sauropodomorphs and other dinos considerations... And Black rhinos too    Best dinosaur figures ? Sauropodomorphs and other dinos considerations... And Black rhinos too - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 03, 2013 5:22 pm

Interesting discussion indeed :DI think Papo dinosaurs are nice but they are all in one style. Many other brands look nice too. I personally like more colorful ones :)

scot(t) wrote:

But ultimately, I try not to get too stuck on just one brand. Similarly, I try not to form a bias against any brands either. My favorite Parasaurolophus is the Schleich Replica-saurus from 2007 I think. I realize that most collectors think Schleich dinosaurs are horrible. And they often are. But I don't want to make the mistake of missing out on a great model because I am biased against a brand. Likewise, I don't particularly like CollectA dinosaur models in general. But I have their Psittacosaurus and Plateosaurus and I love them. (Their Therizinosaurus also looks good.)

Me and my son just started small dino collection and our (actually HIS but I help choosing/buying) first dino was Torosaurus from CollectA, then we bought also Tarbosaurus (because it's funny) and Ortholotitan. My son loves them and each of these 3 has own name and drawing in scratch book :)I think we're going to choose few from each brand in future.  
It's interesting but kids seem to love the Schleich T-rex especially (maybe because it's green and his jaw can be opened or closed? he is classic pop culture T-Rex I think), when my son saw him in a shop he was delighted, perhaps soon this figure will join the collection also. scratch 
I was looking at Safari dinosaurs too, many superb models there too. And colorful Favorite are I think my favorite probably.

Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
scot(t)

scot(t)

PostSubject: Re: Best dinosaur figures ? Sauropodomorphs and other dinos considerations... And Black rhinos too    Best dinosaur figures ? Sauropodomorphs and other dinos considerations... And Black rhinos too - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 03, 2013 10:36 pm

That's wonderful Anna! How much fun! (I really am excited for you. I started collecting dinosaurs completely out of anticipation of having my son get excited about dinosaurs. So I'm really looking forward to his becoming interested in them.)

I have to confess, I love the recent green Tyrannosaurus by Schleich. I can't help it. My favorite Tyrannosaurus are the three "soft" models by Kinto/Favorite and the Blue/Green running t-rex by Kaiyodo. But despite its weird proportions (they are very "pop culture," as you put it well), I am just really fond of the Schleich.

(Just for the heck of it, here is a picture of the Kaiyodo -- I just got it last week.)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Takama

Takama

PostSubject: Re: Best dinosaur figures ? Sauropodomorphs and other dinos considerations... And Black rhinos too    Best dinosaur figures ? Sauropodomorphs and other dinos considerations... And Black rhinos too - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 09, 2013 4:26 am

Being a Dinosaur collector. I feel I must have a say in this topic.

The best dinosaur figures after Papo depends on what your looking for. If your looking for great detail, then Schleichs world of History Dinosaurs, should come in next as they are extremely inspired by Papo. However, if your looking for Accuracy, then stay away from those, and go for the Carnegie Collection and Wild Safari figures.

Those two lines have some nicely detail models and are mostly accurate, though some of the Current Carnegie models are outdated, and will be resculpted in the future.

The difference between the two is that The Carnegie line is a Line of Collectibles, and should not be regarded as toys in the literal sense, wile the Wild Safari line is more play friendly(though they should not be rough housed with)

Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Best dinosaur figures ? Sauropodomorphs and other dinos considerations... And Black rhinos too    Best dinosaur figures ? Sauropodomorphs and other dinos considerations... And Black rhinos too - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 09, 2013 8:59 am

This is very interesting Shocked 

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best dinosaur figures ? Sauropodomorphs and other dinos considerations... And Black rhinos too    Best dinosaur figures ? Sauropodomorphs and other dinos considerations... And Black rhinos too - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Best dinosaur figures ? Sauropodomorphs and other dinos considerations... And Black rhinos too
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3