Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The tinker horse, Irish cob, Gipsy vanner...a horse of many names and colours :-)

Go down 
+8
Ana
Carola
Fisva
koniminiatures
Sumo
Roger
widukind
SUSANNE
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

The tinker horse, Irish cob, Gipsy vanner...a horse of many names and colours :-) Empty
PostSubject: The tinker horse, Irish cob, Gipsy vanner...a horse of many names and colours :-)   The tinker horse, Irish cob, Gipsy vanner...a horse of many names and colours :-) EmptySat May 18, 2013 11:40 am

Kaat certainly is the expert in the breed, but please allow me to start a subject about this fantastic horse.

My experience with tinkers is mainly seen from the Icey Side Wink
Most of my horsey friends are Icey-horse fans, but funny enough at least two of the more serious breeders also have tinkers.
The reason that tinkers appeal to my friends may be explained by the fact that untill recently the breed was a working horse for people who depended on them. In [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
we can read that
...is a horse breed originally developed by Romanichal peoples native to the British Isles. As recently as 1996, the Gypsy horse had no stud book or breed registry.

Thus all colours were, and are, accepted, even if pintoes were popular.
One of my friends, who rides high level competition-tölt on her Icelandic horses, has also been able to make some tinkers go tölt, without much speed, but it is not hard for them.

Originally used to pull the vardoes ( living waggons) of the Romani people, the Tinker is of a more quiet disposition than most Iceys, and being more powerful, it is a brilliant horse for riders who are too heavy, or too nervous, for the little, temperamental Icey.

However, let me stop comparing the two breeds !
As Kaat shows us again and again, the Tinker is a beautyful, loyal, friendly, and brave horse, and it is rapidly gaining more and more fans all over the world.

This is reflected in the variety of names it has in different countries :
The Gypsy Horse (USA, UK, AU), also known as the Gypsy Cob (UK, NZ), Coloured Cob(UK, Ireland, parts of Continental Europe), Gypsy Vanner (US, CAN), Irish Cob, and Tinker Horse (parts of Continental Europe)

I hope, Kaat will add to this description, as she is certainly the expert !

Well, let`s get to the STS-subject ! Here are some pictures of the models that I have :
First, the ones from Schleich :
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

And the beautyful models from Papo , black/white :

And brown/white ( Skewbald), a very good model colour, showing that not all Tinkers are piebald:

Safari Ltd, Audrey on Streaming Light :

The large, lovely Tinker ( called Gipsy Vanner, as in USA) from Safari`s Blue Ribbon series :

Bullyland also makes a Tinker...poor critter, he looks like he is about to fall over.

But mine has been palyed with, which gives him a lot of charm, IMHO ;-)

At last , - a funny speciality for some tinkers : A mustache !!!!!
The first time I was at a tinker-show, I though at first..why do so many horses have straw in their mouth ???

As you can see here [url= [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ]* here *[/url]
it is not unusual.
I have not been able to find an explanation, but it seems likely that the tendency runs in some lines, - and that it is mainly while they are not grazing that it can grow so long.

PS. Has Breyer made a tinker horse ???

widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

The tinker horse, Irish cob, Gipsy vanner...a horse of many names and colours :-) Empty
PostSubject: Re: The tinker horse, Irish cob, Gipsy vanner...a horse of many names and colours :-)   The tinker horse, Irish cob, Gipsy vanner...a horse of many names and colours :-) EmptySat May 18, 2013 11:41 am

truelly nice horses cheers cheers cheers cheers

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: The tinker horse, Irish cob, Gipsy vanner...a horse of many names and colours :-)   The tinker horse, Irish cob, Gipsy vanner...a horse of many names and colours :-) EmptySat May 18, 2013 9:04 pm

Thankyou very much, Andreas sunny

Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: The tinker horse, Irish cob, Gipsy vanner...a horse of many names and colours :-)   The tinker horse, Irish cob, Gipsy vanner...a horse of many names and colours :-) EmptySat May 18, 2013 9:09 pm

I am glad that you decided to open this topic! Very Happy
I enjoy the way Schleich studied the coloring of the figure. They look deliciously beautiful! Very Happy Also great work with hairs.
The Safari large one is also very nice as well as others, of course. Very Happy
I think I have a little 1:32 unbranded Tinker, I need to check it. Very Happy

Sumo

Country/State : Norway

PostSubject: Re: The tinker horse, Irish cob, Gipsy vanner...a horse of many names and colours :-)   The tinker horse, Irish cob, Gipsy vanner...a horse of many names and colours :-) EmptySat May 18, 2013 9:34 pm

I'm a huge fan of cob and draft type horses, and this breed is hard to resist! Very Happy I only have the Safari versions at the moment, but I'm working on a custom Breyer SM.
It should be mentioned that they come in "solid" colors as well (most are tobiano + sabino), though as they all express the sabino pattern they'll nearly always have a white blaze and stockings. AFAIK there are no completely solid-colored horses, which is kind of a pity from an artistic POV.

At their best, these horses are amazing. However, like so many popular breeds they've begun to suffer from overbreeding, with unhealthy animals being bred just because they're a pretty color or have lots of hair.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
koniminiatures

koniminiatures

Country/State : Finland

PostSubject: Re: The tinker horse, Irish cob, Gipsy vanner...a horse of many names and colours :-)   The tinker horse, Irish cob, Gipsy vanner...a horse of many names and colours :-) EmptySat May 18, 2013 10:05 pm

Sumo wrote:
It should be mentioned that they come in "solid" colors as well (most are tobiano + sabino), though as they all express the sabino pattern they'll nearly always have a white blaze and stockings. AFAIK there are no completely solid-colored horses, which is kind of a pity from an artistic POV.
There are many near-solid (some will have a snip or a star) horses in the silver lines, where the sabino is presumably kept deliberately down so as not to detract from the light legs in the black silvers. Some lookers, those are!

SUSANNE wrote:
PS. Has Breyer made a tinker horse ???
Breyer recently released Brishen, a Tinker, and have previously done black tobiano Tinker runs on their Friesian mold (namely The Gypsy King) and the Goffert mold (there named Kuchi). The latter has been released in a number of additional pinto patterns too, as I recall.
Back to top Go down
http://koni.weebly.com/
Fisva

Fisva

Country/State : Poland

PostSubject: Re: The tinker horse, Irish cob, Gipsy vanner...a horse of many names and colours :-)   The tinker horse, Irish cob, Gipsy vanner...a horse of many names and colours :-) EmptySat May 18, 2013 10:14 pm

I have just realised that Collecta haven't released Tinker yet. I bet it would look fantastic... scratch

Carola

Carola

Country/State : Denmark

PostSubject: Re: The tinker horse, Irish cob, Gipsy vanner...a horse of many names and colours :-)   The tinker horse, Irish cob, Gipsy vanner...a horse of many names and colours :-) EmptySun May 19, 2013 9:35 am

Very good thread Very Happy for a beautiful breed and their figurines.

I wonder if anyone have the Safari Winners Circle Gypsy Vanner? With photos too Rolling Eyes cheers He's black, but with white mane, tail and feathering. A colour not seen anywhere else for a Tinker model, according to my observations that is.

Fisva wrote:
I have just realised that Collecta haven't released Tinker yet. I bet it would look fantastic... scratch

That would be very VERY nice cheers
Back to top Go down
http://www.carolafunder.dk
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: The tinker horse, Irish cob, Gipsy vanner...a horse of many names and colours :-)   The tinker horse, Irish cob, Gipsy vanner...a horse of many names and colours :-) EmptySun May 19, 2013 11:23 am

Carola wrote:

I wonder if anyone have the Safari Winners Circle Gypsy Vanner? With photos too Rolling Eyes cheers He's black, but with white mane, tail and feathering. A colour not seen anywhere else for a Tinker model, according to my observations that is.

Ohhh ! How could I forget him ? Shocked
Thankyou, Carola cheers

Ana

Ana

Country/State : Utrecht/NL

PostSubject: Re: The tinker horse, Irish cob, Gipsy vanner...a horse of many names and colours :-)   The tinker horse, Irish cob, Gipsy vanner...a horse of many names and colours :-) EmptySun May 19, 2013 12:01 pm

Oh, very interesting topic! Tinkers are very lovely horses Very Happy Very Happy
It's great how many brands produced models of this breed. I have only Schleich foal in my collection but now I think I may need some more Very Happy they are so lovely!
I like very much Sfari one but the texture on it looks maybe too simplified scratch but a very nice figure Very Happy

Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: The tinker horse, Irish cob, Gipsy vanner...a horse of many names and colours :-)   The tinker horse, Irish cob, Gipsy vanner...a horse of many names and colours :-) EmptySun May 19, 2013 12:41 pm

Susanne, here is the little, Stable Mate sized unbranded Tinker I have. It is a little copy from Schleich Tinker but poorly manufactured. It is a little lost in my collection, let me know if you know someone interested in adopting this charming creature. Very Happy

Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: The tinker horse, Irish cob, Gipsy vanner...a horse of many names and colours :-)   The tinker horse, Irish cob, Gipsy vanner...a horse of many names and colours :-) EmptySun May 19, 2013 2:03 pm

Ana wrote:

I like very much Sfari one but the texture on it looks maybe too simplified scratch but a very nice figure Very Happy

Yes, it is a strange texture scratch
Also I have never seen a Silver Dappeld THAT black.
They are usually dark grey on the body, somtimes in the middle of summer, some can be almost coal grey, but not that jet-black Rolling Eyes
( Except at shows, where the owners rub them in dark, greasy stuff )

BTW, the colour is called Vindott in Icelandic, "Wind-shaded colour". I think it is such a beautyful description sunny
Better than "dappeled", because they are only dappeled when they change the coat at spring and fall Wink

Ohh! Roger that Tinker !!! Of COURSE !!!
He comes from one of the "World`s famous horses" play sets !
I have one also, only in bay cheers

(If nobody else is eager to get yours, my bay one would very much love to have the pinto friend here ) Embarassed

Carola

Carola

PostSubject: Re: The tinker horse, Irish cob, Gipsy vanner...a horse of many names and colours :-)   The tinker horse, Irish cob, Gipsy vanner...a horse of many names and colours :-) EmptyMon May 20, 2013 9:31 am

Thank you Susanne, the Safari guy looks very handsome Very Happy But I agree with Ana, he's got a rather strange texture. He's very precicely groomed Razz
Back to top Go down
Silver Unicornis

Silver Unicornis

Country/State : Polish girl living in Scotland

PostSubject: Re: The tinker horse, Irish cob, Gipsy vanner...a horse of many names and colours :-)   The tinker horse, Irish cob, Gipsy vanner...a horse of many names and colours :-) EmptyMon May 20, 2013 11:29 am

SUSANNE wrote:
Also I have never seen a Silver Dappeld THAT black.
They are usually dark grey on the body, somtimes in the middle of summer, some can be almost coal grey, but not that jet-black Rolling Eyes
( Except at shows, where the owners rub them in dark, greasy stuff )
There are some quite dark silver dapples - not black but still very dark, at least in summer :)

Silver Fox - Tinker stallion
Source: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

St. Clarins - Tinker stallion

this Comtois horse

But I agree, Safari's model is too black, not to mention his coat texture Rolling Eyes

Blog | Facebook
Back to top Go down
sortepletter

sortepletter

Country/State : Niedersachsen Germany

PostSubject: Re: The tinker horse, Irish cob, Gipsy vanner...a horse of many names and colours :-)   The tinker horse, Irish cob, Gipsy vanner...a horse of many names and colours :-) EmptyMon May 20, 2013 4:08 pm

I'd like to add some more. A few of them were probably not made as Tinkers but could stand in.
Breyers first:
This one was available from Pony Club
Panini
Mojö
Northlight
And of course my very special model horse in the scale 1:1 Laughing
Kilkenny
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: The tinker horse, Irish cob, Gipsy vanner...a horse of many names and colours :-)   The tinker horse, Irish cob, Gipsy vanner...a horse of many names and colours :-) EmptyMon May 20, 2013 4:17 pm

The 1:1 scale is my favorite! flower Wink
I have also the Mojo black and white Clydesdale and, anytime I see it, I think in it as a Tinker! Very Happy

Ana

Country/State : Utrecht/NL

PostSubject: Re: The tinker horse, Irish cob, Gipsy vanner...a horse of many names and colours :-)   The tinker horse, Irish cob, Gipsy vanner...a horse of many names and colours :-) EmptyMon May 20, 2013 5:14 pm

Ohh, Kilkeny os soo beautiful I love you wonderful horse sunny
Your figures are also great Simone Very Happy Nothlight and the big trotting Breyer ones are especially nice Very Happy

Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
Cyhyraeth

Cyhyraeth

Country/State : Russian Federation

PostSubject: Re: The tinker horse, Irish cob, Gipsy vanner...a horse of many names and colours :-)   The tinker horse, Irish cob, Gipsy vanner...a horse of many names and colours :-) EmptyTue May 21, 2013 8:00 pm

Really interesting info)
However, I never expected that it's possible to make the horse go in gait walk if it's not the horse that is used to it (gaited breeds).

And funny enough, but even though almost all the colours are accepted in this breed, I've never seen any other colour exept pinto and silver.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

My Facebook page
Back to top Go down
http://y-cyhiraeth.deviantart.com/
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: The tinker horse, Irish cob, Gipsy vanner...a horse of many names and colours :-)   The tinker horse, Irish cob, Gipsy vanner...a horse of many names and colours :-) EmptyTue May 21, 2013 8:24 pm

Cyhyraeth wrote:

And funny enough, but even though almost all the colours are accepted in this breed, I've never seen any other colour exept pinto and silver.

I used to work for a compagny, some 25 years ago, where the European head quaters were in England, and the Romanichal camps that I saw, their horses were unicoloured...perhaps they weren`t Irish cobs, or perhaps they had sold the pintoes ? scratch
Unfortunately I didn`t know the breed by then, so I did not pay much attention to the type of horse. Crying or Very sad

But I think that it has to do with us thinking that unicoloured horses ARE NOT tinkers, when we see one Laughing
And that medium sized, medium heavy pintos with lot of fetlock must be Tinkers ....
Like, people hwo see a bay dun Icey, always are convinced it is a Fjord, even if they do not look the same at all Rolling Eyes

Sumo

Sumo

PostSubject: Re: The tinker horse, Irish cob, Gipsy vanner...a horse of many names and colours :-)   The tinker horse, Irish cob, Gipsy vanner...a horse of many names and colours :-) EmptyTue May 21, 2013 8:50 pm

Yes, it's a little frustrating when breeds get so typecast in one color - at least from a model showing perspective! And don't get me started on people who think anything with an upright mane must be part Fjord... Laughing

Of course, the fun thing about horse breeds is that they're forever changing and new ones turn up all the time. (The Americans are very good at innovation - there seems to be new registries turning up every year.) Breeding colored cobs to Shires or Clydes makes a Drum Horse (which is now a breed, not just a job). If you have a model with less hair the American Spotted Draft - which isn't spotted, but another tobiano breed - has more Percheron and Belgian blood.

Back to top Go down
Silver Unicornis

Silver Unicornis

PostSubject: Re: The tinker horse, Irish cob, Gipsy vanner...a horse of many names and colours :-)   The tinker horse, Irish cob, Gipsy vanner...a horse of many names and colours :-) EmptyTue May 21, 2013 11:52 pm

Cyhyraeth wrote:
There are quite a few solid Tinkers :) A few examples:

stallion Caymus
source: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

stallion The Real Deal (stable name Dealer)

mare Padparadshah (stable name June Bug)

stallion Alaria Moss Hamish

stallion Cici's Duke of Earl

And appaloosa too (most rare in this breed, I believe)
stallion Ghost Rider

Blog | Facebook
Back to top Go down
Carola

Carola

PostSubject: Re: The tinker horse, Irish cob, Gipsy vanner...a horse of many names and colours :-)   The tinker horse, Irish cob, Gipsy vanner...a horse of many names and colours :-) EmptyWed May 22, 2013 6:28 am

Great examples, a joy to look at Very Happy Never seen a 'Draft Appaloosa' before cheers
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: The tinker horse, Irish cob, Gipsy vanner...a horse of many names and colours :-)   The tinker horse, Irish cob, Gipsy vanner...a horse of many names and colours :-) EmptyWed May 22, 2013 8:56 am

What beautyful, awesome horses ! Thankyou a bunch, Magda !!!! Sad(o)): Sad(o)):

Silver Unicornis

Silver Unicornis

PostSubject: Re: The tinker horse, Irish cob, Gipsy vanner...a horse of many names and colours :-)   The tinker horse, Irish cob, Gipsy vanner...a horse of many names and colours :-) EmptyWed May 22, 2013 10:38 am

Carola wrote:
Never seen a 'Draft Appaloosa' before cheers
If you want to see more "draft appaloosas" check out such breeds as Noriker and Sugarbush Draft :)

Blog | Facebook
Back to top Go down
Sumo

Sumo

PostSubject: Re: The tinker horse, Irish cob, Gipsy vanner...a horse of many names and colours :-)   The tinker horse, Irish cob, Gipsy vanner...a horse of many names and colours :-) EmptyWed May 22, 2013 5:56 pm

OMG, those buckskins... *drool* Surprised One of my all-time favorite horse colors, hands down.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The tinker horse, Irish cob, Gipsy vanner...a horse of many names and colours :-)   The tinker horse, Irish cob, Gipsy vanner...a horse of many names and colours :-) Empty

Back to top Go down

The tinker horse, Irish cob, Gipsy vanner...a horse of many names and colours :-)
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
STS Forum  :: Animal toy figures reviews and discussions :: General reviews and discussions :: Comparison topics-
Jump to: