Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Breyer Horses Made in China/USA?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Carola

Carola

Country/State : Denmark

Breyer Horses Made in China/USA? Empty
PostSubject: Breyer Horses Made in China/USA?   Breyer Horses Made in China/USA? EmptySun May 11, 2014 12:31 pm

I hope some of you Breyer fans, might be able to tell me which models are made in USA and which are made in China?

I've tried to research the subject, but found nothing very enlightening.

I have only new Breyers, and they are all Made in China. It says on the box, but I wonder if one can also tell country 'made in' from the letters and numbers print on it.

Here is says VIN - and date of production. I read somewhere that the 'VIN' refers to the factory, (and it is US law to mark it, so that the model can be tracked to the factory if any issues occur).
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

And here the Breyer stamp on the same model (Traditional Gypsy Vanner)

And the Breyer stamp on Appaloosa Indian Pony (Traditional) He has also the 'VIN' + date under his hoof.

I assume the stamp is one which follow the mould. And the Gypsy is a very new mould and the Appy is very old - therefore the different design.

And here is the letters under the hoof of the Classic Grullo Morgan. Rather new mold and model.

sunny

LeeAnn

LeeAnn

Country/State : United States

PostSubject: Re: Breyer Horses Made in China/USA?   Breyer Horses Made in China/USA? EmptySun May 11, 2014 1:22 pm

Good question! Very Happy

It's not easy to tell exactly what country the model was made in, but you can go roughly by if it has the VIN on the hoof (or some Stablemates have an ugly silver/gold number on their belly No). All models with a VIN were painted in China. This transfer of production happened recently, and the models were not given VIN numbers immediately as they started being produced in China, so some models are made in China but don't have VIN numbers. However, as a general rule, if it has a VIN, it was made in China. No models painted in the US will have a VIN. Most of today's models are made in China - the only ones painted in the US today are a run less than 100. To add to the confusion, all models are made in China, most are painted in China, except for the runs under 100 are painted in the US. No models are produced in the United States anymore. Which is a real shame, especially since the headquarters just the next state over from me. Sad

I hope that cleared up the confusion! cheers

LeeAnn

PostSubject: Re: Breyer Horses Made in China/USA?   Breyer Horses Made in China/USA? EmptySun May 11, 2014 1:24 pm

Oh, and all Breyers will have the circle stamp. This is just to show it's a genuine Breyer horse. Wink Those don't have a factor in whether the model was made in China or the US.

Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Breyer Horses Made in China/USA?   Breyer Horses Made in China/USA? EmptySun May 11, 2014 2:48 pm

Great to know ! Thanks !  Applause 

LeeAnn

LeeAnn

PostSubject: Re: Breyer Horses Made in China/USA?   Breyer Horses Made in China/USA? EmptySun May 11, 2014 2:49 pm

cheers cheers cheers 

Carola

PostSubject: Re: Breyer Horses Made in China/USA?   Breyer Horses Made in China/USA? EmptySun May 11, 2014 9:21 pm

Thank you very much LeeAnn for the great information  cheers  Too bad indeed they outsourced to China, now you live that close  Sad 

Do you know when Breyer stopped producing models in USA and moved all (except the special runs under 100) to China?
I mean, how old must a Breyer be, to have been manufactured in USA (both the plastic model and paintwork)?

LeeAnn

LeeAnn

PostSubject: Re: Breyer Horses Made in China/USA?   Breyer Horses Made in China/USA? EmptyMon May 12, 2014 1:25 am

I believe by around 2005 everything was moved over to China - in the late nineties they started doing the tack and other accessories in China, and then moved up the line of scales. So it wasn't too long ago that everything was transferred over to China.

Carola

PostSubject: Re: Breyer Horses Made in China/USA?   Breyer Horses Made in China/USA? EmptyTue May 13, 2014 6:47 am

Thank you again  Very Happy 

Very interesting information. It seems it is only Schleich who still produces some of their models in their home country.  bounce 

LeeAnn

LeeAnn

PostSubject: Re: Breyer Horses Made in China/USA?   Breyer Horses Made in China/USA? EmptyTue May 13, 2014 2:00 pm

But unfortunately most of even Schleich figures are made in China. Sad

Carola

PostSubject: Re: Breyer Horses Made in China/USA?   Breyer Horses Made in China/USA? EmptyTue May 13, 2014 5:15 pm

Yes. Although I think sometimes the Chinese version can be the nicest Surprised 

- and hey that is Princess for your signature  Razz I see a new trend around  Embarassed Laughing Laughing 

LeeAnn

LeeAnn

PostSubject: Re: Breyer Horses Made in China/USA?   Breyer Horses Made in China/USA? EmptyTue May 13, 2014 5:24 pm

That's a good point too, sometimes the Chinese variation is better than others. Very Happy

Laughing The gal you drew for me wanted to see the light Wink

Carola

PostSubject: Re: Breyer Horses Made in China/USA?   Breyer Horses Made in China/USA? EmptyTue May 13, 2014 9:34 pm

She always loves the spotlight  Cool 

Cyhyraeth

Cyhyraeth

Country/State : Russian Federation

PostSubject: Re: Breyer Horses Made in China/USA?   Breyer Horses Made in China/USA? EmptyFri May 16, 2014 11:28 am

AFAIK all vintage models were made in the US, esp those prodused in 70s-80s. They usually have the round sign with 'USA' label (the one you pictured here). Most of my vintage Classics do have this mark.
In fact, you can even feel the difference if you hold those figures in your hands (the way they are painted), and by touch they are sooooooo different!

Carola

Carola

PostSubject: Re: Breyer Horses Made in China/USA?   Breyer Horses Made in China/USA? EmptySun May 18, 2014 8:59 am

Thank you Daria  Very Happy Very interesting. How are they different to touch?  Very Happy I think already the models I have are nice in quality, but I have never held a USA made on in my hands, so I can't tell the difference.

Strangely I also think a new Breyer smells good, like a faint scent of citrus candy  Razz 

LeeAnn

LeeAnn

PostSubject: Re: Breyer Horses Made in China/USA?   Breyer Horses Made in China/USA? EmptySun May 18, 2014 1:40 pm

Laughing Especially glossies. It sounds weird but when you unwrap the bubblewrap for the first time, that glossy smell is great!

Cyhyraeth

Country/State : Russian Federation

PostSubject: Re: Breyer Horses Made in China/USA?   Breyer Horses Made in China/USA? EmptySun May 18, 2014 2:08 pm

Carola wrote:
Thank you Daria  Very Happy Very interesting. How are they different to touch?  Very Happy I think already the models I have are nice in quality, but I have never held a USA made on in my hands, so I can't tell the difference.

Strangely I also think a new Breyer smells good, like a faint scent of citrus candy  Razz 
I don't know how to describe it. Neutral  I believe it's the deference in the paint used for coloring them. The surface differs a little. And they smell different, yes:)

Carola

Carola

PostSubject: Re: Breyer Horses Made in China/USA?   Breyer Horses Made in China/USA? EmptyThu May 22, 2014 6:30 am

Very interesting  Very Happy Maybe one day I'll experience a USA model. And maybe a Glossy model too  bounce 

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Breyer Horses Made in China/USA?   Breyer Horses Made in China/USA? Empty

Back to top Go down

Breyer Horses Made in China/USA?
Page 1 of 1