Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Smilodon figurine accuracy

Go down 
+19
Melekh
AliceJoe
Bowhead Whale
landrover
Kikimalou
Roger
jarda
sbell
GiselleGazelle
scot(t)
john2xtheman
Wilorvise
Tupolew Tu-154
sabulia
elephas_maximus
Bloodrayne
widukind
SUSANNE
smilodoncalifornicus
23 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

Smilodon figurine accuracy - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Smilodon figurine accuracy   Smilodon figurine accuracy - Page 4 EmptyMon Mar 20, 2017 9:18 pm

WOW !!!! Shocked

Beauuuutyful cheers

Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Smilodon figurine accuracy   Smilodon figurine accuracy - Page 4 EmptyTue Mar 21, 2017 7:03 am

smilodoncalifornicus wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

This is the Paleocraft Smilodon Fatalis sculpting from 2009.  I have this kit and it is absolutely beautiful.  This sculpting is very scientifically accurate.

I agree with this one Very Happy Very different and slender than the Mojo one
Back to top Go down
smilodoncalifornicus

smilodoncalifornicus

Country/State : USA Minnesota

PostSubject: Re: Smilodon figurine accuracy   Smilodon figurine accuracy - Page 4 EmptyTue Mar 21, 2017 1:39 pm

Kikimalou wrote:

This is the Paleocraft Smilodon Fatalis sculpting from 2009.  I have this kit and it is absolutely beautiful.  This sculpting is very scientifically accurate.

I agree with this one Very Happy  Very different and slender than the Mojo one

I don't think this sculpting is very slender.  In real life, I don't think Smilodon was slender at all.
I believe Smilodon had HUGE neck, shoulder and forearm muscles and very large dew claws.   All these things aided this cat in wrestling it's prey to the ground and restraining it, so it could make a stabbing kill with those huge saber teeth.

Here is a YouTube video that will explain in detail how Smilodon was built like. This documentary is done by professional Paleontologists that study this animal in detail.:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Smilodon figurine accuracy   Smilodon figurine accuracy - Page 4 EmptyTue Mar 21, 2017 6:13 pm

I know we don't agree about Mojo smilodon Wink

And I like very much the Paleocraft model, I only mean it is less bodybuilded than the Mojo.
Back to top Go down
smilodoncalifornicus

smilodoncalifornicus

PostSubject: Re: Smilodon figurine accuracy   Smilodon figurine accuracy - Page 4 EmptyTue Mar 21, 2017 6:16 pm

Kikimalou wrote:
I know we don't agree about Mojo smilodon Wink

And I like very much the Paleocraft model, I only mean it is less bodybuilded than the Mojo.

Yes, it might be a little less than the Mojo figure.  They are very close though.
Back to top Go down
smilodoncalifornicus

smilodoncalifornicus

PostSubject: Re: Smilodon figurine accuracy   Smilodon figurine accuracy - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 22, 2017 2:21 pm

This is the Paleocraft Smilodon Fatalis from my collection. Sean Cooper built and painted this for me.

Last edited by smilodoncalifornicus on Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:34 am; edited 16 times in total
Back to top Go down
landrover

landrover

Country/State : colombia

PostSubject: Re: Smilodon figurine accuracy   Smilodon figurine accuracy - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 22, 2017 8:54 pm

Is marvellous....is one treasure . Applause

accuracy figure. cheers

smilodoncalifornicus

smilodoncalifornicus

PostSubject: Re: Smilodon figurine accuracy   Smilodon figurine accuracy - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 22, 2017 8:56 pm

landrover wrote:

Is marvellous....is one treasure . Applause

accuracy figure. cheers

Thanks Fernando, it's a nice one.  Now this Smilodon sculpting is just awesome.  I think it follows very closely the style of Charles R Knight. I wish I knew who made it. I want it in my collection.

Last edited by smilodoncalifornicus on Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:37 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Smilodon figurine accuracy   Smilodon figurine accuracy - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 22, 2017 9:21 pm

beautiful drunken
Back to top Go down
smilodoncalifornicus

smilodoncalifornicus

PostSubject: Re: Smilodon figurine accuracy   Smilodon figurine accuracy - Page 4 EmptyThu Mar 23, 2017 6:57 pm

Paleontologist Meachen-Samuel’s findings on Smilodon’s arm bones:

"While Smilodon’s leg bones scaled to size, their arm bones were exceptionally thick for their length compared to modern cats."

"When I looked at the arm bones, Smilodon Fatalis was way out in left field," said Meachen-Samuels.
Sabertooth arm bones were not only much larger in diameter than other cats, they also had much thicker cortical bone, the dense outer layer that makes bones strong and stiff. Thicker cortical bone is consistent with the idea that Sabertooth forelimbs were under much greater stress than what modern cats are,  Meachen-Samuels explained. Just like weight-bearing exercise remodels our bones and improves bone density and muscle mass over time, the repeated strain of grappling with large prey resulted in much thicker and stronger arm bones in saber-toothed cats..”
"As muscles pull on bones, bones & muscle respond by getting stronger and larger," said Meachen-Samuels. "Because saber-toothed cats had thicker arm bones we believe they used their forelimbs for pulling down large prey and then restraining it."  This is not something modern cats do.

The above findings by this expert on Smilodon is more proof that this sabertooth cat was much stockier and had much greater muscle mass in its frontal areas than modern cats do.   This is just one of many reasons why I think almost all Smilodon figures are sculpted wrong by mainstream companies.

Most Sabertooth cat figures are sculpted just like modern cats with long teeth, and that is totally wrong, but here are three examples of mainstream figures that got it right:

Mojo Smilodon (2011)
Safari Carnegie Smilodon (1988)
Safari Missing Link Smilodon (1997)

It's not just Sabertooth's arm bones that were different from modern cats.  Smilodon also had much bigger shoulder and neck muscles than extant cats do with a shorter back, wider and flatter feet, and oversized dew claws. Also it’s limbs were relatively shorter than extant cat’s limbs.
Its safe to say, Smilodon's morphology was nothing like modern cats.

Last edited by smilodoncalifornicus on Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:33 pm; edited 10 times in total
Back to top Go down
smilodoncalifornicus

smilodoncalifornicus

PostSubject: Re: Smilodon figurine accuracy   Smilodon figurine accuracy - Page 4 EmptyFri Mar 24, 2017 4:39 am

The Mojo Smilodon is still one of my favorites. I think it looks much better than most mainstream brands.

Back to top Go down
smilodoncalifornicus

smilodoncalifornicus

PostSubject: Re: Smilodon figurine accuracy   Smilodon figurine accuracy - Page 4 EmptyFri Aug 25, 2017 4:28 pm

Paleontologist C.K. Brain points out,  Smilodon Fatalis had a greatly reduced coronoid process and therefore a disadvantageously weak bite.
The cat did, however, have an enlarged mastoid process, a muscle attachment at the base of the skull, which attaches to very large neck muscles.  According to C.K. Brain  Smilodon would use a "downward thrust of the head, powered by the huge neck muscles" to drive the large upper canines into the prey.

Even with the experts pointing out how massively built Smilodon was to do a specific job , the mainstream figures of this cat continue to be sculpted totally wrong.

Others have pointed out that there are so many Sabertooth figures made, that it’s hard to get excited about a new one.  But the thing is, most all of them are so terrible in scientific accuracy that  it’s like having no figure at all.  Based on this, there's only a couple figures of this animal made, the rest I don’t even take seriously because they are sculpted so awful ( example, 2017 Papo Smilodon - easily the most lousy, ridiculous Smilodon figure ever made).

Last edited by smilodoncalifornicus on Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:11 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
smilodoncalifornicus

smilodoncalifornicus

PostSubject: Re: Smilodon figurine accuracy   Smilodon figurine accuracy - Page 4 EmptySat Sep 02, 2017 5:59 am

Back to top Go down
smilodoncalifornicus

smilodoncalifornicus

PostSubject: Re: Smilodon figurine accuracy   Smilodon figurine accuracy - Page 4 EmptySat Sep 02, 2017 6:01 am

The awesome Safari Missing link Smilodon figure from 1997.  This is one of my favorite Sabertooth Cat figures.

Last edited by smilodoncalifornicus on Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:55 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Smilodon figurine accuracy   Smilodon figurine accuracy - Page 4 EmptySat Sep 02, 2017 8:16 am

Yes !!! That one is awesome cheers

landrover

landrover

Country/State : colombia

PostSubject: Re: Smilodon figurine accuracy   Smilodon figurine accuracy - Page 4 EmptySun Sep 03, 2017 3:08 am

SUSANNE wrote:
Yes !!! That one is awesome cheers

Yes, is awesome.

smilodoncalifornicus

smilodoncalifornicus

PostSubject: Re: Smilodon figurine accuracy   Smilodon figurine accuracy - Page 4 EmptySat Sep 09, 2017 4:22 am

Safari’s Carnegie and Missing link figures of Smilodon were sculpted very similar to this magnificent rendition by Charles R Knight:

Now, the mainstream companies insist on sculpting Smilodon like this awful, ridiculous
mess with absolutely no scientific accuracy at all:

Last edited by smilodoncalifornicus on Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Bowhead Whale

Bowhead Whale

Country/State : Canada

PostSubject: Re: Smilodon figurine accuracy   Smilodon figurine accuracy - Page 4 EmptySat Sep 09, 2017 7:42 pm

If you were a whale fan like me, you would cry a lot to see all the bad illustrations and replicas that have been made of whales.

Luckily, things are changing right now, since 25 years. But bad whale représentations still roam around us.
Back to top Go down
smilodoncalifornicus

smilodoncalifornicus

PostSubject: Re: Smilodon figurine accuracy   Smilodon figurine accuracy - Page 4 EmptySat Sep 09, 2017 9:52 pm

Bowhead Whale wrote:
If you were a whale fan like me, you would cry a lot to see all the bad illustrations and replicas that have been made of whales.

Luckily, things are changing right now, since 25 years. But bad whale représentations still roam around us.

It's good to hear things are improving for the Whale figures.  I do however think that Smilodon figures are getting even worse.  Smilodon is one of the most poorly sculpted animal figures of all time.  There are so many figures out there , yet I believe almost 95% of them are not scientifically accurate.  Some are better than others, but most are still pretty bad.  

There are even quite a few that are ridiculous looking (examples: 2017 Papo, 2009 CollectA, Schleich, Favorite Co., 2013 Bullyland, to name just a few).
Back to top Go down
Bowhead Whale

Bowhead Whale

PostSubject: Re: Smilodon figurine accuracy   Smilodon figurine accuracy - Page 4 EmptyTue Sep 12, 2017 10:22 pm

At least, Smilodoncalifornicus, there ARE figures made of your favorite animal! Even though they are not so good. How do you think I feel, as a Bowhead Whale freak, hardly ever seeing a bowhead whale figure made? I would love to see more bowhead whale figures out there. Even if they are not all too good.
Back to top Go down
smilodoncalifornicus

smilodoncalifornicus

PostSubject: Re: Smilodon figurine accuracy   Smilodon figurine accuracy - Page 4 EmptyTue Sep 12, 2017 10:26 pm

Bowhead Whale wrote:
At least, Smilodoncalifornicus, there ARE figures made of your favorite animal! Even though they are not so good. How do you think I feel, as a Bowhead Whale freak, hardly ever seeing a bowhead whale figure made? I would love to see more bowhead whale figures out there. Even if they are not all too good.

Well, I do hope they start making Bowhead whale figures by some mainstream companies
for you.
Back to top Go down
Bowhead Whale

Bowhead Whale

PostSubject: Re: Smilodon figurine accuracy   Smilodon figurine accuracy - Page 4 EmptyTue Sep 12, 2017 10:33 pm

Bowhead Whale wrote:

Well, I do hope they start making Bowhead whale figures by some mainstream companies
for you.

Thank you! Up to now, Larami made one, Safari ltd made one, Albert heijn made one, CollectA made one and I have two different Made in China models. That makes a total of six. Six different bowhead whale figures. Not bad, but not much.
Back to top Go down
smilodoncalifornicus

smilodoncalifornicus

PostSubject: Re: Smilodon figurine accuracy   Smilodon figurine accuracy - Page 4 EmptyTue Sep 12, 2017 10:43 pm

Bowhead Whale wrote:
Bowhead Whale wrote:

for you.

Thank you! Up to now, Larami made one, Safari ltd made one, Albert heijn made one, CollectA made one and I have two different Made in China models. That makes a total of six. Six different bowhead whale figures. Not bad, but not much.

Your welcome.  That is true, 6 different sculpts of that animal is not much.  I have about the same amount of Smilodonts
in my collection, even though there is probably 70 plus or more made.   I only want ones that have scientific accuracy.
Even out of the 6 or so I have, they aren't superb, but decent.
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Smilodon figurine accuracy   Smilodon figurine accuracy - Page 4 EmptyWed Sep 13, 2017 4:46 am

Bowhead Whale wrote:
Bowhead Whale wrote:

for you.

Seven! Kaiyodo made one for its Red Data series. Wink
Back to top Go down
Bowhead Whale

Bowhead Whale

PostSubject: Re: Smilodon figurine accuracy   Smilodon figurine accuracy - Page 4 EmptyWed Sep 20, 2017 9:31 pm

Bowhead Whale wrote:
Bowhead Whale wrote:

for you.

Your welcome.  That is true, 6 different sculpts of that animal is not much.  I have about the same amount of Smilodonts
in my collection, even though there is probably 70 plus or more made.   I only want ones that have scientific accuracy.
Even out of the 6 or so I have, they aren't superb, but decent.

Do you own the Playmobil Smilodon?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Smilodon figurine accuracy   Smilodon figurine accuracy - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Smilodon figurine accuracy
Page 4 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next