Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Capsule Aquarium Series 1 Red-Bellied Piranha Walkaround

Go down 
+2
LeeAnn
widukind
6 posters
AuthorMessage
sbell

sbell

Country/State : Canada

Capsule Aquarium Series 1 Red-Bellied Piranha Walkaround Empty
PostSubject: Capsule Aquarium Series 1 Red-Bellied Piranha Walkaround   Capsule Aquarium Series 1 Red-Bellied Piranha Walkaround EmptySun Sep 21, 2014 6:30 pm

Another first for me--until now, I didn't have a single piranha in my collection. And if I'm going to get one, might as well start with the best!

Like my other recent fish-figure catch (Ha! See what I did there?), the Archerfish, this one is from the Capsule Aquarium Series 1, figure #01. Branded as the Marinepia Matsushima Aquarium, it is pretty much as hard to find as the archer, but way easier to put together!

The piranha here is the red-bellied piranha, Pygocentrus nattereri. Probably one of the best known, and certainly one of the most wide-ranging. It is also one of the more common ones kept as pets in home aquaria (along with the black piranha Serrasalmus rhombeus). Mostly due to the fearsome appearance and reputation of these fish, with their big nasty teeth and bright colours. Of course, they are really more of scavengers than high-powered hunters, but a few good stories and films have given them a certain stature for people that want tough fish in their tank.

Unlike many of the fish figures I have hunted down, I myself never bothered to keep them at home. I personally found them kind of dull, as they are essentially just big tetras with sharper teeth (although, looking at my school of Congo tetras, if they got a big as a piranha, they have pretty substantial teeth as well). Plus, it's hard to keep other fish with them, since they do tend to attack in close quarters.

But I still wanted the figure! It is about 5.5cm long, so given a max length of 33cm, this figure is 1:6 scale (more easy math!). It rests above a small pile of ground, so not as elaborate as some, but still a great way to display the fish. As an aside, I think that every fish figure (well, swimming, and flying, figure) should have a bit of a base, since most of them look not quite right 'standing' on the ground. Which is why I really like the Capsule series figures over the Animaltales figures. The small patch of ground gives a little bit of 'life' to the animal being displayed.

I also got to learn something with this figure--in my years in fish sales, every piranha was Serrasalmus. So finding out that the red-bellied is a whole different genus now (I looked it up to confirm) was a bit of a surprise. I suppose it's impossible to keep up with taxonomic changes in everything

Pictures:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

And just for fun, a diver that somehow slipped back in time to Megapiranha in the late Miocene. Or worse, into the movie of the same name :-\
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

And yes, there are other piranha figures--Kaiyodo made one as part of an Amazon set; there is a series of strap figures from a different Japanese company (Wing Mau); a few small ones from toy companies like the K&M river set; and of course the new Safari Incredible Creatures one. But this one was always the primary goal!
Back to top Go down
http://faunafigures.com/
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Capsule Aquarium Series 1 Red-Bellied Piranha Walkaround   Capsule Aquarium Series 1 Red-Bellied Piranha Walkaround EmptySun Sep 21, 2014 6:31 pm

Also great pics and a beautiful fish!! Thanks:)

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
sbell

sbell

PostSubject: Re: Capsule Aquarium Series 1 Red-Bellied Piranha Walkaround   Capsule Aquarium Series 1 Red-Bellied Piranha Walkaround EmptySat Sep 27, 2014 10:29 pm

widukind wrote:
Also great pics and a beautiful fish!! Thanks:)

Thanks, it's a tough one to take photos of, given it's shiny surface and dark-to-light colours.
Back to top Go down
LeeAnn

LeeAnn

Country/State : United States

PostSubject: Re: Capsule Aquarium Series 1 Red-Bellied Piranha Walkaround   Capsule Aquarium Series 1 Red-Bellied Piranha Walkaround EmptySat Sep 27, 2014 11:23 pm

Beautiful fish, congrats!

Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Capsule Aquarium Series 1 Red-Bellied Piranha Walkaround   Capsule Aquarium Series 1 Red-Bellied Piranha Walkaround EmptySun Sep 28, 2014 8:44 am

Seems many mseed this topic Shocked

But better late than never, - wonderful model, and thankyou for the interesting facts about the species Applause

Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Capsule Aquarium Series 1 Red-Bellied Piranha Walkaround   Capsule Aquarium Series 1 Red-Bellied Piranha Walkaround EmptySun Sep 28, 2014 11:58 am

Great walk around of a very interesting fish. Very Happy

Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Capsule Aquarium Series 1 Red-Bellied Piranha Walkaround   Capsule Aquarium Series 1 Red-Bellied Piranha Walkaround EmptyTue Feb 17, 2015 11:03 am

It is beautiful and tiny as I like Very Happy I'm very tempted
Back to top Go down
sbell

sbell

PostSubject: Re: Capsule Aquarium Series 1 Red-Bellied Piranha Walkaround   Capsule Aquarium Series 1 Red-Bellied Piranha Walkaround EmptyTue Feb 17, 2015 2:33 pm

Kikimalou wrote:
It is beautiful and tiny as I like Very Happy  I'm very tempted

I highly recommend it if you can find one. That's the tough part.
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Capsule Aquarium Series 1 Red-Bellied Piranha Walkaround   Capsule Aquarium Series 1 Red-Bellied Piranha Walkaround EmptyTue Feb 24, 2015 7:51 am

sbell wrote:
Kikimalou wrote:

I found one HERE... Maybe I will wait for another catch Wink
Back to top Go down
sbell

sbell

PostSubject: Re: Capsule Aquarium Series 1 Red-Bellied Piranha Walkaround   Capsule Aquarium Series 1 Red-Bellied Piranha Walkaround EmptyTue Feb 24, 2015 2:46 pm

Kikimalou wrote:
sbell wrote:
Kikimalou wrote:

I found one HERE... Maybe I will wait for another catch Wink

It's almost the harder part--if you find them, they tend to be pricey. Keep an eye on the Yahoo Japan auctions, maybe Brett can help you out.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Capsule Aquarium Series 1 Red-Bellied Piranha Walkaround   Capsule Aquarium Series 1 Red-Bellied Piranha Walkaround Empty

Back to top Go down

Capsule Aquarium Series 1 Red-Bellied Piranha Walkaround
Page 1 of 1