Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

SE Mokarran Custom Repaints

Go down 
+10
Advicot
SUSANNE
Dum_my
bjarki12
Tarunyada
Ana
LeeAnn
widukind
Wilorvise
sphyrna18
14 posters
AuthorMessage
sphyrna18

Country/State : Pennsylvania, USA

SE Mokarran Custom Repaints Empty
PostSubject: SE Mokarran Custom Repaints   SE Mokarran Custom Repaints EmptyTue Apr 21, 2015 3:48 am

A few of the repaints we have offered through our website, facebook, and/or EBay.  I'll update this posting as often as possible when repaints are done, offered, or commissioned.  Regretfully, many of these are no longer available for sale, but if anyone has any specific requests for a figure let me know, and I will see if we can get one done for you.

We start way back in 2013:

Common Gray Fox (Urocyon cinereoargenteus) - repainted Mojo Fox.  Completed 2013.  Approximate scale is 1:10 (1:6 to 1:10).
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Asiatic Golden Cat (Pardofelis temminckii) - repainted Safari Ltd. Wild Safari North American Wildlife Puma. Completed 2014. Approximate scale is 1:10 (1:9 to 1:11).  As it turns out, shading orange, red, and brown without producing drab brown is more difficult than I imagined.  To keep it from looking like a Puma with a facial condition, I leaned more toward red/orange, and referenced photos of such specimens to attempt to get close to the right shade.  Interestingly, I actually used a dark brown dry brush along the back, which appears almost red on the finished figure.

Azara's Zorro / Pampas Fox (Lycalopex gymnocercus) - repainted CollectA Woodland Red Fox. Completed 2014.  Approximate Scale 1:10 (1:7 to 1:11).

Eastern Indigo Snake (Drymarchon couperi) - repainted Safari Ltd Reptiles TOOB generic snake.  Completed 2014. Approximate scale 1:10 (1:10 to 1:14).

Gila Monster (Heloderma suspectum) - repainted Safari Ltd Reptiles TOOB lizard.  Completed 2014. Approximate Scale 1:8 (1:8 to 1:9).

Jaguar (Panthera onca) - repainted Schleich Jaguar. Completed 2014. Approximate scale 1:15.
I had been fortunate enough to actually see a live Jaguar in 2013, and I was struck by just how vibrant and bright orange its coat actually was.  Replicating that turned out to be tremendously hard, and I fell far from my intended pattern.  Sadly, the color of the rosettes darkened significantly after drying, and it was too much work at the time to repaint them.  It doesn't look as bad as it could, but it's certainly not Kosta-style.  Hat's off to you, Kosta, once again.  To add insult to injury, when I went to seal the paint, I accidently grabbed the super high gloss instead of the matte.  Applying matte after the fact has not done much to lessen the gloss.

Culpeo (Lycalopex culpaeus) - repainted Mojo Fox. Completed 2014. Approximate scale 1:15 (1:12 to 1:15).
Another of the South American zorros, or "false foxes," the Culpeo is the largest; it's almost surprising that a figure of one has not been made yet, but I'm sure one will make it to market eventually.

Arctic Fox (Vulpes lagopus) - repainted Safari Ltd Arctic TOOB Arctic Fox. Completed 2014. Approximate scale 1:15 (1:10 to 1:14).
The absolute easiest repaint ever. The eyes are really tiny, and are thus hard to do, and it is actually a little hard to tell where you've already painted when doing white on white, but still, easiest ever.

Fisher (Martes pennanti) - repainted Nayab generic figure.  Completed 2014. Approximate scale 1:15 (1:9 to 1:15).

Common Gray Fox (Urocyon cinereoargenteus) - repainted generic fox figure. Completed 2015. Approximate scale 1:15.
In the store, we actually have displays based on scale, so it comes in handy having the same species represented in multiple scales.  Here, we did another Common Gray Fox for use with 1:15 scale displays.  We started playing with different sealants to see which worked best.  Unfortunately, even though we used a matte sealer on this figure, it is really glossy.  However, is also much sturdier, and probably better in the long run due to the composition of the base figure, which was very oily.

Glacier Bear (Ursus americanus emmonsii) - repainted Safari Ltd. Wild Safari North American Wildlife Black Bear. Completed 2015. Approximate scale 1:15 (1:13 to 1:15).
The Glacier Bear is a subspecies of American Black Bear endemic to southeastern Alaska.  This is actually the most recent repaint we offered.  It also has the thicker sealant, which gives it more durability but is glossier, as well.  

To be continued....
Back to top Go down
http://www.sphyrnaenterprises.com
Wilorvise

Wilorvise

Country/State : Colorado, USA

PostSubject: Re: SE Mokarran Custom Repaints   SE Mokarran Custom Repaints EmptyTue Apr 21, 2015 4:23 am

very nice

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: SE Mokarran Custom Repaints   SE Mokarran Custom Repaints EmptyTue Apr 21, 2015 9:15 am

Great repaints, and i really like the new species now :)

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
LeeAnn

LeeAnn

Country/State : United States

PostSubject: Re: SE Mokarran Custom Repaints   SE Mokarran Custom Repaints EmptyTue Apr 21, 2015 2:03 pm

Nice works Very Happy

Ana

Country/State : Utrecht/NL

PostSubject: Re: SE Mokarran Custom Repaints   SE Mokarran Custom Repaints EmptyTue Apr 21, 2015 2:30 pm

Very nice repaints! I like the clear colours and lines you use Very Happy

Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
Tarunyada

Tarunyada

Country/State : The Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: SE Mokarran Custom Repaints   SE Mokarran Custom Repaints EmptyTue Apr 21, 2015 3:11 pm

Well done Applause Great choice of species (especially the foxes)! Very Happy

Back to top Go down
http://tarunyada.weebly.com/
sphyrna18

PostSubject: Re: SE Mokarran Custom Repaints   SE Mokarran Custom Repaints EmptyTue Apr 21, 2015 3:37 pm

Thank you, everyone. They are a far cry from the work many others on this board produce, so I appreciate the compliments :-)  I first noticed when I started painting the foxes just how similar they all are coloration-wise, so I turned to a more "field guide" style, referencing artwork instead of photos, and trying to subtly highlight the unique identifying characteristics of each species. Looking at photos of Culpeos and Azara's Zorro, it can be quite difficult to differentiate them, but field guide artists have to do it so that readers can easily spot the differences. We also have completed other canids: a 1:5 scale Chilla (South American Grey Fox), 1:20 scale Coyote, and 1:12 scale Ethiopian Wolf. I hope to post pictures soon.

Thanks you all very much, again :)
Back to top Go down
Tarunyada

Tarunyada

PostSubject: Re: SE Mokarran Custom Repaints   SE Mokarran Custom Repaints EmptyTue Apr 21, 2015 3:59 pm

sphyrna18 wrote:
I first noticed when I started painting the foxes just how similar they all are coloration-wise, so I turned to a more "field guide" style, referencing artwork instead of photos, and trying to subtly highlight the unique identifying characteristics of each species. Looking at photos of Culpeos and Azara's Zorro, it can be quite difficult to differentiate them, but field guide artists have to do it so that readers can easily spot the differences.

Thanks for explaining Very Happy

sphyrna18 wrote:
We also have completed other canids: a 1:5 scale Chilla (South American Grey Fox), 1:20 scale Coyote, and 1:12 scale Ethiopian Wolf. I hope to post pictures soon.

I'd love to see them, especially the Ethiopian wolf <3

Back to top Go down
bjarki12

bjarki12

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: SE Mokarran Custom Repaints   SE Mokarran Custom Repaints EmptyTue Apr 21, 2015 4:02 pm

Great repaints!

I especially love the glacier bear! A while ago I was thinking about attempting the same repaint, but didn't feel quite brave enough. I'm really glad to see your take on it!

(As a side note, I'd love to see one of the companies - maybe Safari - make the different color phases of the black bear. That would be fun.)
Back to top Go down
sphyrna18

PostSubject: Re: SE Mokarran Custom Repaints   SE Mokarran Custom Repaints EmptyFri Apr 24, 2015 7:43 pm

A few more repaints....

Ethiopian Wolf (Canis simensis) - repainted Safari Ltd. Wild Safari North American Wildlife Coyote. Completed 2014. Approximately 1:12 scale (1:11-1:13).

A comparison with a few other 1:12 scale African mammals (of course, an Ethiopian Wolf would never encounter either of these species, but they were the only figures I had handy :) )

Fishing Cat (Prionailurus viverrinus) - repainted Safari Ltd. "Big Cats" TOOB Mountain Lion.  Completed 2014. Approximately 1:12 scale (1:12-1:13).

Black-and-White Tegu (Salvator (= Tupinambis) merianae) - repainted generic skink. Completed 2015. Approximately 1:8 scale (1:5 to 1:Cool.
As it turns out, this was an absolute pain to repaint.  I was using multiple photos of the species as references, and the individual patterns became very confusing, which I think produced a more jumbled and busy figure in the end.  The same darn shine is present from the sealant, despite it being a "matte" finish.  *Frustrating*.  This is another species we are going to attempt to do better in the future.  But for now, this will have to do.

Chilla / South American Grey Fox (Lycalopex griseus) - repainted CollectA Woodland Red Fox. Completed 2014. Approximately 1:5 scale (1:3 to 1:6).
Another of the South American zorros, or "false foxes," that are more closely related to the genus Canis than they are to the true foxes. The Chilla is much smaller than the Culpeo and Azara's Zorro, but in most other respects looks nearly identical, although somewhat greyer.
A comparison with some other 1:5 scale figures:

To be continued...
Back to top Go down
Tarunyada

Tarunyada

PostSubject: Re: SE Mokarran Custom Repaints   SE Mokarran Custom Repaints EmptyFri Apr 24, 2015 7:46 pm

Again, lovely repaints; but I'm totally in love with your Ethiopian wolf Shocked I really don't know why there is no company that produced one. I think yours is beautiful. I'd love to have something like that Very Happy

Back to top Go down
sphyrna18

PostSubject: Re: SE Mokarran Custom Repaints   SE Mokarran Custom Repaints EmptyFri Apr 24, 2015 8:07 pm

Tarunyada wrote:
Again, lovely repaints; but I'm totally in love with your Ethiopian wolf Shocked I really don't know why there is no company that produced one. I think yours is beautiful. I'd love to have something like that Very Happy

Thank you very much!  The Ethiopian Wolf is definitely one of my better repaints haha!  I agree 100% that one of the companies should make one.  I've always been very partial to Safari's wild dogs and would love to see them do one.  Luckily, though, most wild dogs are physiologically similar enough that a repaint of an existing figure can create a whole new species without requiring a new sculpt.  I have two more Wild Safari Coyotes in various stages of re-paint, since the figure would work well for a Red Wolf and Arabian Wolf, too.  :)
Back to top Go down
Dum_my

Dum_my

Country/State : Nederland

PostSubject: Re: SE Mokarran Custom Repaints   SE Mokarran Custom Repaints EmptySat Apr 25, 2015 7:38 pm

Really great work!
I love to see that you painnt different animals to ^^
Like to read your comments to
But don't de so harsh on your self, you have done some great work!
Te photo's are proof enough you can see that they are getting better every time :)

PostSubject: Re: SE Mokarran Custom Repaints   SE Mokarran Custom Repaints EmptyThu Apr 02, 2020 1:35 am

I haven't updated this post for a very long time.... I'm pleased to be able to present our latest custom:

North American Black Fox (Vulpes fulva) - repainted Safari Ltd. Wild Safari North American Wildlife Black Fox. Completed 2020. Approximately 1:12 scale (1:10-1:14)
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: SE Mokarran Custom Repaints   SE Mokarran Custom Repaints EmptyThu Apr 02, 2020 8:48 am

So great that you take up showing us your repaints and the way you get unusual species in your collection cheers
The black fox is wonderful Applause Applause

Advicot

Advicot

Country/State : A farm in Britiain

PostSubject: Re: SE Mokarran Custom Repaints   SE Mokarran Custom Repaints EmptyThu Apr 02, 2020 11:18 am

Very, very beautiful. Very Happy

"Our planet is in crisis. The monster of this earth, is not a tiger nor a lion or shark. It's us we've destroyed the planet." (My own quote)
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: SE Mokarran Custom Repaints   SE Mokarran Custom Repaints EmptyThu Apr 02, 2020 12:01 pm

cheers cheers cheers cheers

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Taos

Taos

Country/State : W.Sussex,United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: SE Mokarran Custom Repaints   SE Mokarran Custom Repaints EmptyThu Apr 02, 2020 5:01 pm

Superb repaints!! Applause Applause Applause

PostSubject: Re: SE Mokarran Custom Repaints   SE Mokarran Custom Repaints EmptyMon Apr 06, 2020 11:07 pm

Thank you very much, everyone! It's been a while since I've had time to actually do any repaints, so it feels good to get back to it. Hopefully, I'll have more to post very soon.
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: SE Mokarran Custom Repaints   SE Mokarran Custom Repaints EmptyTue Apr 07, 2020 1:14 am

Wonderful job! Such exciting species/color variations.

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: SE Mokarran Custom Repaints   SE Mokarran Custom Repaints EmptyTue Apr 07, 2020 10:04 am

sphyrna18 wrote:
Thank you very much, everyone! It's been a while since I've had time to actually do any repaints, so it feels good to get back to it. Hopefully, I'll have more to post very soon.

Good news you bring! bounce bounce

Wildheart

Country/State : Bucharest,Romania

PostSubject: Re: SE Mokarran Custom Repaints   SE Mokarran Custom Repaints EmptySun Apr 12, 2020 3:12 pm

Love them all! The wolf and the skink and breathtaking!

sphyrna18

PostSubject: Re: SE Mokarran Custom Repaints   SE Mokarran Custom Repaints EmptyThu Apr 16, 2020 10:32 pm

Wildheart wrote:
Love them all! The wolf and the skink and breathtaking!
Thank you very much! Your repaints of the Tube figures are amazing! And very inspirational!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SE Mokarran Custom Repaints   SE Mokarran Custom Repaints Empty

Back to top Go down

SE Mokarran Custom Repaints
Page 1 of 1