Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

JEOL packaging project

Go down 
+4
LeeAnn
Ana
SUSANNE
Wilorvise
8 posters
AuthorMessage
elephas_maximus

JEOL packaging project Empty
PostSubject: JEOL packaging project   JEOL packaging project EmptyThu Jun 04, 2015 4:12 am

After seeing this post "Jeol animals in original packaging", I was inspired to make my own packages for my figures.  I used the waterbuck / lion image from the mentioned post but re-made everything else in Photoshop so it would be of higher resolution for printing.

The final image was printed on glossy cardboard like the ones found in stores, then to give it a vintage feel I wrinkled and bent it.  
Next plastic bags were cut and sealed to size then it was ready for the figures.  This is how the figures would have looked back in the 1970s hanging in the stores.

Last edited by elephas_maximus on Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:32 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/redelephant
Wilorvise

Wilorvise

Country/State : Colorado, USA

PostSubject: Re: JEOL packaging project   JEOL packaging project EmptyThu Jun 04, 2015 4:16 am

Very cool.

Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: JEOL packaging project   JEOL packaging project EmptyThu Jun 04, 2015 8:33 am

Expertly done ! You could have fooled me Shocked

And...ohhh, you have so many beautyful Jeol models Very Happy

elephas_maximus

PostSubject: Re: JEOL packaging project   JEOL packaging project EmptyThu Jun 04, 2015 6:07 pm

Thanks Laura, and Susanne.
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: JEOL packaging project   JEOL packaging project EmptyThu Jun 04, 2015 6:52 pm

I got the thought, - could this could be used to sell fakes expensively, if some crook gets hold of the idea Shocked scratch Shocked

Ana

Ana

Country/State : Utrecht/NL

PostSubject: Re: JEOL packaging project   JEOL packaging project EmptySat Jun 06, 2015 5:48 pm

I think this is really cool!! Great work again Andrew! cheers

Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
LeeAnn

LeeAnn

Country/State : United States

PostSubject: Re: JEOL packaging project   JEOL packaging project EmptySat Jun 06, 2015 6:24 pm

Definitely very cool Very Happy Great work!

Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: JEOL packaging project   JEOL packaging project EmptySun Jul 19, 2015 7:46 am

Ok I'm a bit late but I can't see any pic confused
Back to top Go down
elephas_maximus

PostSubject: Re: JEOL packaging project   JEOL packaging project EmptyMon Jul 20, 2015 12:41 am

I was using servimg and they went missing, but have uploaded again.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: JEOL packaging project   JEOL packaging project EmptyMon Jul 20, 2015 9:38 am

99p Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked  I will buy the whole sets Laughing

Thank you very much for the pics Andrew Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: JEOL packaging project   JEOL packaging project EmptyWed Jul 22, 2015 2:00 am

This is an interesting expression of love regarding Jeol figures! Laughing
I know it is for you personal joy so I think it is a very nice idea. elephant

PostSubject: Re: JEOL packaging project   JEOL packaging project EmptyMon Jul 27, 2015 9:43 pm

Kikimalou wrote:
99p Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked  I will buy the whole sets Laughing

Thank you very much for the pics Andrew Very Happy

No Problem.

Roger wrote:
This is an interesting expression of love regarding Jeol figures! Laughing
I know it is for you personal joy so I think it is a very nice idea. elephant

Yes, just a fun project to recreate the extremely rare vintage packaging....which I probably won't ever get the real thing.
Back to top Go down
Numa
Numa

Country/State : England, UK

PostSubject: Re: JEOL packaging project   JEOL packaging project EmptyMon Aug 10, 2015 6:32 pm

The models were later remade in better quality 'softer' plastic and paintwork and sold at the Natural history museum in London in plastic tubs. The museum had the tubs open and each model was sold for 25p but this was back in 1990/91. I bought a few but since lost them darn!

Great pics and great idea.
Back to top Go down
elephas_maximus

PostSubject: Re: JEOL packaging project   JEOL packaging project EmptyMon Aug 10, 2015 10:39 pm

Yes, my impalas are made of this soft plastic (I think its PVC).  
The legs are somewhat warped and need to be corrected by adding heat.  
The tubs at the museum in the 90's were probably old stock.

Out of curiosity, were the larger elephants and giraffe at the museum shop back then?  
Possibly the larger ones are more scarce because they were made in smaller quantities or less people bought them due to higher pricing.  
Though figures from this line are rare in general, the smaller animals such as hyena, zebra, and lions are much more common today than the big ones.
Back to top Go down
Numa
Numa

Country/State : England, UK

PostSubject: Re: JEOL packaging project   JEOL packaging project EmptyTue Aug 11, 2015 3:59 pm

I remember clearly seeing tubs of all the smaller models from waterbuck, zebra, both impala types, warthogs, river hogs, hyena and leopards. I dont remember seeing elephant.

This was actually during the period of 1989 and 1991. i visited the museum 3 times and always made a beeline for the museum shop obsessed with buying the waterbucks in particular.

The models were a softer pvc but I have recently come across hard/stiffer plastic Jeol models that look much older and stiff like the Britains models.

Anyway what I want to know is why the Jeol models are so sought after by everyone? What makes them so exciting to everyone? It is interesting to know because any topic related to Jeol creates a buzz and I wanted to know why the buzz exists - I love Jeol simply for that gorgeous waterbuck Smile Smile

I remember seeing a catalogue image of the entire range on here somewhere - anyone remember the link?
Back to top Go down
elephas_maximus

PostSubject: Re: JEOL packaging project   JEOL packaging project EmptyThu Aug 13, 2015 12:31 am

Thanks for the additional information.  Yes I have some figures which are stiff plastic while others are softer as you describe.  The stiff plastic is prone to breaking more easily, some figures arrived damaged.

The appeal for me lies in the excellent sculpting and proportions (something that is missing with a lot of modern figures) plus they are all in scale with one another.  The rarity of the series also adds to their desirability I think.

The catalog is still-----> Here
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: JEOL packaging project   JEOL packaging project Empty

Back to top Go down

JEOL packaging project
Page 1 of 1