Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

How much is your partner/children involved into your collection hobby?

Go down 
+7
Night Elf
LeeAnn
Saarlooswolfhound
SUSANNE
widukind
Wilorvise
NightLioness
11 posters
AuthorMessage
NightLioness
NightLioness

Country/State : The Netherlands, Friesland.

How much is your partner/children involved into your collection hobby? Empty
PostSubject: How much is your partner/children involved into your collection hobby?   How much is your partner/children involved into your collection hobby? EmptyTue Jun 09, 2015 7:47 pm

Well, this one came to mind when I talked about my collection with Tijn (my BF).
He has his sayings towards a bit of my collection, and I in his Wink

Mostly, when we talk about my collection, it is about what he thinks about a certain animal.
Or if he can help me look at flea-markets and such. (He has good eyes, so it comes in handy!)

But most of the time he let me do my thing, especially when it comes to STS.
He knows I'm on this forum.
He knows Anna and Sandor from the Collectors Fair in Utrecht and he knows some of you because I talk a lot XD
He is also curious what is in the packages when they arrive :3

He helped me with the making of my current white collection thing XD

The only one thing that bothers me a bit is.... that he won't let me collect dinosaurs....
I have two Triceratops from Papo and the mini Pentaceratops from Schleich.
But no more.... And I want more XD Oh well Razz

So now I'm curious what other partners do or think, and if children play a role :)

Wilorvise

Country/State : Colorado, USA

PostSubject: Re: How much is your partner/children involved into your collection hobby?   How much is your partner/children involved into your collection hobby? EmptyTue Jun 09, 2015 8:12 pm

Well, my collection is more of an integrated household collection. We started it together as we needed a mutual hobby.

I try to keep my husband from buying (too many) full-priced at Toys R Us or certain other stores (you know, the ones where the toys get picked up by kids all the time and the prices are still higher than anywhere else... say a zoo gift shop.)

And he tries to keep me from making huge purchases. So if anything's over $37, I typically run it past him. Marital peace and such. Very Happy

The kids randomly pick things out an item or two at a time on special occasions.

The hubs took over managing the dino portion. And tends to veto certain animals. Come to think of it I've vetoed a few as well. So it's about 48% me/44% him/4% son/4% daughter

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: How much is your partner/children involved into your collection hobby?   How much is your partner/children involved into your collection hobby? EmptyTue Jun 09, 2015 10:00 pm

No chance for me :)

STS members can merge Very Happy

sunny Andreas sunny
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: How much is your partner/children involved into your collection hobby?   How much is your partner/children involved into your collection hobby? EmptyTue Jun 09, 2015 10:38 pm

None of my friends or family here have ever taken more than a quick look at my plastic animals if they could possibly avoid it Suspect

Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: How much is your partner/children involved into your collection hobby?   How much is your partner/children involved into your collection hobby? EmptyTue Jun 09, 2015 11:26 pm

My family members admire it sometimes but no one decides what I do or don't get, unless things are given to me as gifts etc. Otherwise, then again I'm not married or have kids either, so that policy may change in the future. Smile

https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium

PostSubject: Re: How much is your partner/children involved into your collection hobby?   How much is your partner/children involved into your collection hobby? EmptyWed Jun 10, 2015 10:08 pm

I don't have a BF Wink  My family isn't involved in my collecting in any way, they admire it, sometimes they (rarely) buy something for me. Apart from occasionally being asked how the collection is going, nobody pays attention to it Smile flower
Back to top Go down
LeeAnn

LeeAnn

Country/State : United States

PostSubject: Re: How much is your partner/children involved into your collection hobby?   How much is your partner/children involved into your collection hobby? EmptyThu Jun 11, 2015 1:42 am

Emma/schleichgirl wrote:
I don't have a BF Wink  

You don't have a Breyerfest? Laughing Wink

PostSubject: Re: How much is your partner/children involved into your collection hobby?   How much is your partner/children involved into your collection hobby? EmptyThu Jun 11, 2015 2:01 am

LeeAnn wrote:
Emma/schleichgirl wrote:
I don't have a BF Wink  

You don't have a Breyerfest? Laughing Wink
BreyerFest..... Boy Friend......Bagel Fries........Bad Fruit  Laughing .....  Best Friend? arrow scratch  Yes! cheers
Back to top Go down
Night Elf

Night Elf

PostSubject: Re: How much is your partner/children involved into your collection hobby?   How much is your partner/children involved into your collection hobby? EmptyThu Jun 11, 2015 3:26 am

My husband is very supportive of my collection. He is a collector of comic books and high end action hero replicas, so he understands my collecting habit. We don't have kids yet, so we each have a room in the house where we keep our collectibles. He uses the office and I use the guest room (aka "the Pony Room," lots of Breyers).

He took me to an amazing toy store in Canada yesterday that had the action figures and replicas that he collects plus the biggest Schleich display I have ever seen in person. They had 10 each of every current animal figure, plus Bayala, dinosaurs, knights, dragons, Smurfs, Peanuts, etc. So we separately went to our respective sections of interest and ogled and handled everything to our hearts content, and then after almost an hour we met back up with our selections and toured the rest of the store together. It was a very nice date! I wonder if I could convince that store to stock Papo and CollectA... scratch Very Happy

PostSubject: Re: How much is your partner/children involved into your collection hobby?   How much is your partner/children involved into your collection hobby? EmptyThu Jun 11, 2015 3:31 am

Night Elf wrote:
My husband is very supportive of my collection. He is a collector of comic books and high end action hero replicas, so he understands my collecting habit. We don't have kids yet, so we each have a room in the house where we keep our collectibles. He uses the office and I use the guest room (aka "the Pony Room," lots of Breyers).

He took me to an amazing toy store in Canada yesterday that had the action figures and replicas that he collects plus the biggest Schleich display I have ever seen in person. They had 10 each of every current animal figure, plus Bayala, dinosaurs, knights, dragons, Smurfs, Peanuts, etc. So we separately went to our respective sections of interest and ogled and handled everything to our hearts content, and then after almost an hour we met back up with our selections and toured the rest of the store together. It was a very nice date! I wonder if I could convince that store to stock Papo and CollectA... scratch Very Happy

That sounds wonderful, Jessica Very Happy Wow imagine having your very own room especially for model figures drunken
Sounds like the best date ever! Very Happy elephant
Back to top Go down
Night Elf

Night Elf

PostSubject: Re: How much is your partner/children involved into your collection hobby?   How much is your partner/children involved into your collection hobby? EmptyThu Jun 11, 2015 3:32 am

NightLioness wrote:
The only one thing that bothers me a bit is.... that he won't let me collect dinosaurs....
I have two Triceratops from Papo and the mini Pentaceratops from Schleich.
But no more.... And I want more XD Oh well Razz

The minis are very small, easy to hide... (kidding)  Very Happy Laughing

Night Elf

Night Elf

PostSubject: Re: How much is your partner/children involved into your collection hobby?   How much is your partner/children involved into your collection hobby? EmptyThu Jun 11, 2015 3:35 am

Emma/schleichgirl wrote:
That sounds wonderful, Jessica Very Happy Wow imagine having your very own room especially for model figures drunken
Sounds like the best date ever! Very Happy  elephant

Well, my house guests think I am a little odd for all of my animals, but anyone who knows me should already know that I am a little odd. Laughing

Gwaine

Gwaine

Country/State : Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: How much is your partner/children involved into your collection hobby?   How much is your partner/children involved into your collection hobby? EmptyThu Jun 11, 2015 9:08 am

My boy Vincent is always willing to get me something new. My parents hate it and my parnets in law help me when they can. I feel so loved.

Papo: 82
Safari: 150
Mojo fun: 23
Playmobil: 117
Other: 288
~
schleich count: 1222
~
Total: 2156

My DeviantArt: http://tezzieh.deviantart.com/
My Twitter: @Tezzieh
My Instagram: tessa.b.storm
Back to top Go down
https://www.patreon.com/mrsaugustwalker

PostSubject: Re: How much is your partner/children involved into your collection hobby?   How much is your partner/children involved into your collection hobby? EmptyThu Oct 22, 2015 10:21 am

All by myself...! Very Happy A couple of years ago, parents sometimes supported me at this, but not now. Few people understand my hobby :) Except dad, he is a collector, too (but not of the animal replicas).
Back to top Go down
Tarunyada

Tarunyada

Country/State : The Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: How much is your partner/children involved into your collection hobby?   How much is your partner/children involved into your collection hobby? EmptyThu Oct 22, 2015 4:05 pm

I don't have a boyfriend at the moment and *thank goodness* I don't have children yet, but my parents are ever helpful with additions for my collection. My stephfather has to be in the USA for his work quite regularly, and sometimes brings Safari Ltd figurines back for me. My mother travels with him sometimes, and always keeps an eye out for me as well. I remember that my father always brought back Schleich and Papo figurines whenever he visited France and Germany years ago. So overall, they find animal figurines for me quite often cheers

How much is your partner/children involved into your collection hobby? Manatee_icon1How much is your partner/children involved into your collection hobby? Tiny_heart_emoticon_by_gasara-d79d7v1Julie x busybusybusybusybusybusy
My Sirenians x Sirenian Searchlist
How much is your partner/children involved into your collection hobby? Manatee_icon2
Back to top Go down
http://tarunyada.weebly.com/
TheSpottedCat

TheSpottedCat

Country/State : Sweden

PostSubject: Re: How much is your partner/children involved into your collection hobby?   How much is your partner/children involved into your collection hobby? EmptyThu Oct 22, 2015 8:16 pm

I tried to make my darling interested in collecting, and then I asked again after reading this thread I got the response "But we already collect board games together!" and yeah... we do...

I talk a ton about different models, what I think about them, if I want them and the poor darling
have actually learned the names of most big brands and even know the scale names from Breyer now and some horse colours.
I have asked if we even could go to BreyerFest, or maybe some other kind of model horse related thingies in Europe. I'm always met with skepticism,
but also with "yeah, if I can have something else to do during most of it". If we ever were to go to USA, we have to do other things than just BreyerFest.
It would be awesome if Copperfox can make their own "BreyerFest" in Europe!

My parents and some of my siblings mostly think my collection is a waste of money, at least they said so when I lived with my parents, but I have gotten horses in Christmas and birthday gifts.
Often they don't want to buy them as they are afraid to buy the wrong ones. Even though I tell them I can always repaint them. So I better specify if I want anything.
  One of my siblings like monster high dolls or Lundby scale doll houses and furniture. So not much in common there.

My siblings children like looking at the horses when they comes around. The oldest really admire them and want horses of their own.
Even picked one out as a favorite. I of course need to buy another one for Christmas present  Smile

I often have people reacting over my cabinets filled with horses if I have friends and strangers visiting. Mostly they just comment "that's a lot of horses." and there's that.
Some even say it's "cool". Always nice when people tell me that, or that they like them.
Even had a conversation about the animals with a person. They seemed very interested ^^

I learned my lesson on not leaving horses standing around outside the cabinet and I always close the bedroom door if I
know there will be drunk people visiting. Drunk people have an even worse habit at picking things up than sober folks.
And they tip things over... good thing they all understand the meaning of closed doors.

Last edited by TheSpottedCat on Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
pipsxlch

pipsxlch

Country/State : US/Florida

PostSubject: Re: How much is your partner/children involved into your collection hobby?   How much is your partner/children involved into your collection hobby? EmptyFri Oct 23, 2015 3:20 am

My people aren't really interested (for the most part), but they don't fight me for the most part either.

My husband thinks my Windstone dragons are cool, and supports the dragons for the most part. He does NOT understand or agree with the animal figures, and is amused by my love of dinosaurs. He doesn't like my looking at cheap 'toy' ones (of any species, hates the idea of toys) at thrift stores/flea markets, and doesn't want me spending what new name brand figures cost, but doesn't complain (too much) about my playing with them in stores. He doesn't like the fish, supports my liking/displaying them but has a fit about what I spent on them. He somewhat collects bald eagle stuff, but really isn't a collector.

My daughter thinks my Windstones are kind of cool, most of the other dragons kind of cheesy, the fish VERY cheesy, animal figures childish and stupid. However, she has always had a thing for the dinosaur Parasaurolophus, and has had a renewal of her dinosaur love. (she's 16, and her boyfriend likes dinos and dragons, so it helps) So I get her dinosaurs whenever I can, and she likes those. Parasaurolophus get special display. I got her a capybara for her birthday, and she liked that too. It is up with the Parasaurolophus- she likes capybaras. Maybe there is hope for one day.

My mother loves the Windstones and has a few of her own- I got the collecting bug from her. She has a small Breyer collection too, used to be bigger but she's been selling off. She thinks anything that could be called a 'toy' is stupid though- she hates the animal figures, except for the Japanese ones (acceptable as art I guess? She loves my fish and the Kaiyodo Australopithecus I got her) and the CollectA Arabian mare I got her. Actually, she seems to like some of the high end dino figures too.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How much is your partner/children involved into your collection hobby?   How much is your partner/children involved into your collection hobby? Empty

Back to top Go down

How much is your partner/children involved into your collection hobby?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
STS Forum  :: Collections and collecting :: Collector's life-
Jump to: