Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Britains Ltd Malayan Tapir - Lead VS Plastic

Go down 
+5
Roger
Chris Sweetman
NightLioness
SUSANNE
widukind
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Tarunyada

Tarunyada

Country/State : The Netherlands

Britains Ltd Malayan Tapir - Lead VS Plastic Empty
PostSubject: Britains Ltd Malayan Tapir - Lead VS Plastic   Britains Ltd Malayan Tapir - Lead VS Plastic EmptySun Jul 05, 2015 3:32 pm

Yesterday I was visiting the city where I'm going to live. I was walking past some shops when I found a shop that's selling vintage toys; including some animal figurines! One of my purchases was this Britains Ltd lead Malayan tapir. And I was fortuntaly enough to already own the plastic one. Here some comparison pictures.

Britains Ltd Malayan Tapir - Lead VS Plastic Britains_tapirs1
Plastic |
Britains Plastic Zoo Series |
#1362 |
Released 1965 |
Discontinued 1985 |
| Lead
| Britains Lead Zoo Series
| Released 1931
| Discontinued 1959

Britains Ltd Malayan Tapir - Lead VS Plastic Britains_tapirs2

Britains Ltd Malayan Tapir - Lead VS Plastic Britains_tapirs3

Britains Ltd Malayan Tapir - Lead VS Plastic Britains_tapirs4

Britains Ltd Malayan Tapir - Lead VS Plastic Britains_tapirs5

If something's wrong about my information or you know anything else about them, please let me know!

Last edited by Tarunyada on Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:36 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://tarunyada.weebly.com/
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Britains Ltd Malayan Tapir - Lead VS Plastic   Britains Ltd Malayan Tapir - Lead VS Plastic EmptySun Jul 05, 2015 7:01 pm

Interesting :)

STS members can merge Very Happy

sunny Andreas sunny
Back to top Go down
Chris Sweetman

Chris Sweetman

Country/State : Nottinghamshire England

PostSubject: Re: Britains Ltd Malayan Tapir - Lead VS Plastic   Britains Ltd Malayan Tapir - Lead VS Plastic EmptySun Jul 05, 2015 7:33 pm

Julie, very nice comparison. Britains lead tapir was introduced in 1931 and withdrawn in 1959.

Britains lead Zoo started in 1929 and the Britains plastic Zoo range came out in 1960.

Tarunyada

Tarunyada

PostSubject: Re: Britains Ltd Malayan Tapir - Lead VS Plastic   Britains Ltd Malayan Tapir - Lead VS Plastic EmptySun Jul 05, 2015 7:52 pm

Thanks, Andreas and Chris!

Chris Sweetman wrote:
Britains lead tapir was introduced in 1931 and withdrawn in 1959.

Britains lead Zoo started in 1929 and the Britains plastic Zoo range came out in 1960.

Thank you so much for this information; it's very helpful! Very Happy

Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Britains Ltd Malayan Tapir - Lead VS Plastic   Britains Ltd Malayan Tapir - Lead VS Plastic EmptySun Jul 05, 2015 9:27 pm

That was indeed a fantstic find cheers

They are both beautyful, - the lead one is awesome drunken

Tarunyada

Tarunyada

PostSubject: Re: Britains Ltd Malayan Tapir - Lead VS Plastic   Britains Ltd Malayan Tapir - Lead VS Plastic EmptySun Jul 05, 2015 9:29 pm

SUSANNE wrote:
That was indeed a fantstic find cheers

They are both beautyful, - the lead one is awesome drunken

Thanks, Susanne Very Happy And yes they are! I was very surprised when I found this one, for you don't see a lot of tapirs around. I didn't know what brand it was at first, because I had no idea Britains made a plastic and lead tapir from the same model. So it was even more interesting for me when I found out they did!

Back to top Go down
NightLioness
NightLioness

Country/State : The Netherlands, Friesland.

PostSubject: Re: Britains Ltd Malayan Tapir - Lead VS Plastic   Britains Ltd Malayan Tapir - Lead VS Plastic EmptySun Jul 05, 2015 9:43 pm

I'm..... how.... *smiles* I seriously believe you have a nose for them Wink
These are great! I didn't even knew there where metal animals from them Very Happy

Tarunyada

PostSubject: Re: Britains Ltd Malayan Tapir - Lead VS Plastic   Britains Ltd Malayan Tapir - Lead VS Plastic EmptySun Jul 05, 2015 9:49 pm

NightLioness wrote:
I'm..... how.... *smiles* I seriously believe you have a nose for them Wink
These are great! I didn't even knew there where metal animals from them Very Happy

Hehe, thanks Razz
No, I didn't either! I thought all the Britains figurines were plastic xD

Back to top Go down
Chris Sweetman

Chris Sweetman

PostSubject: Re: Britains Ltd Malayan Tapir - Lead VS Plastic   Britains Ltd Malayan Tapir - Lead VS Plastic EmptySun Jul 05, 2015 11:06 pm

Julie, Britains have an interesting history and in 1893 William Britain introduced his famous hollow cast metal soldiers. These hollow cast metal soldiers lasted until the mid 1960’s. However, due to British toy safety legislation in 1961 hollow cast models were not allowed for sale in Britain due to their lead content but were exported to other countries where this law didn’t exist.

Tarunyada

Tarunyada

PostSubject: Re: Britains Ltd Malayan Tapir - Lead VS Plastic   Britains Ltd Malayan Tapir - Lead VS Plastic EmptySun Jul 05, 2015 11:14 pm

Chris Sweetman wrote:
Julie, Britains have an interesting history and in 1893 William Britain introduced his famous hollow cast metal soldiers. These hollow cast metal soldiers lasted until the mid 1960’s. However, due to British toy safety legislation in 1961 hollow cast models were not allowed for sale in Britain due to their lead content but were exported to other countries where this law didn’t exist.

Thanks Chris, very interesting Very Happy I find it really fascinating that such an old brand is still in production. Imagine all the toys they made so far.. Shocked

Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Britains Ltd Malayan Tapir - Lead VS Plastic   Britains Ltd Malayan Tapir - Lead VS Plastic EmptySun Jul 05, 2015 11:53 pm

You haven't moved yet and you're already finding some little treasures in that new city! Shocked
I have a single lead Britains with two humps. farao Now you have also a lead Britains and it is painted and all. cheers
Not long ago, the collector of tapirs of this forum was asking me if the lead one was an older version of the plastic figure and you just opened a topic comparing them. Very Happy
I love these topics comparing different generations of toys. Very Happy

Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Britains Ltd Malayan Tapir - Lead VS Plastic   Britains Ltd Malayan Tapir - Lead VS Plastic EmptyMon Jul 06, 2015 1:28 pm

Great topic about great models: Father and son, I love both drunken
Back to top Go down
Tarunyada

Tarunyada

PostSubject: Re: Britains Ltd Malayan Tapir - Lead VS Plastic   Britains Ltd Malayan Tapir - Lead VS Plastic EmptyTue Jul 07, 2015 1:39 pm

Roger wrote:
You haven't moved yet and you're already finding some little treasures in that new city! Shocked

Yes, I think I have a nose for it Laughing

Roger wrote:
Not long ago, the collector of tapirs of this forum was asking me if the lead one was an older version of the plastic figure and you just opened a topic comparing them. Very Happy

Ah, it's great that my topic is helpful to the members here on the forum! cheers

Roger wrote:
I love these topics comparing different generations of toys. Very Happy

I always find them most helpful, especially when you're looking for one of more of the compared figurines. I'm happy I could contribute to it Smile

Kikimalou wrote:
Great topic about great models: Father and son, I love both drunken

Thanks, Christophe Very Happy

Back to top Go down
LeeAnn

LeeAnn

Country/State : United States

PostSubject: Re: Britains Ltd Malayan Tapir - Lead VS Plastic   Britains Ltd Malayan Tapir - Lead VS Plastic EmptyTue Jul 07, 2015 3:50 pm

They are both beautiful, congratulations Very Happy

Tarunyada

PostSubject: Re: Britains Ltd Malayan Tapir - Lead VS Plastic   Britains Ltd Malayan Tapir - Lead VS Plastic EmptyWed Jul 08, 2015 4:54 pm

LeeAnn wrote:
They are both beautiful, congratulations Very Happy

Thank you, LeeAnn Very Happy

Back to top Go down
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Britains Ltd Malayan Tapir - Lead VS Plastic   Britains Ltd Malayan Tapir - Lead VS Plastic EmptyTue Aug 02, 2016 3:30 pm

According to the information here:
http://www.thetoybox.4t.com/britainsplasticreference.html
there are two versions of the plastic tapir. Does anyone know whether that is correct? I have two tapirs and one seems quite old (it has a lighter kind of plastic) while I think the other is more recent (I have it in a box with other animals, which was produced in the early 80s). The white patch on their backs is painted slightly differently, but I don't see any difference in the moulds.
Back to top Go down
Chris Sweetman

Chris Sweetman

PostSubject: Re: Britains Ltd Malayan Tapir - Lead VS Plastic   Britains Ltd Malayan Tapir - Lead VS Plastic EmptyTue Aug 02, 2016 10:44 pm

Hi Roger

As far as I am aware there is no difference in the sculpt of either plastic versions. As you have mentioned the earlier plastic is lighter than the PVC used from 1968. There will be variations on the amount and pattern of white painted on the model as this is applied by hand.

Hope this helps.

Chris

rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Re: Britains Ltd Malayan Tapir - Lead VS Plastic   Britains Ltd Malayan Tapir - Lead VS Plastic EmptyWed Aug 03, 2016 11:06 am

Thanks, Chris. So 1968 is the year. That's very useful for dating the animals.

Chris Sweetman

PostSubject: Re: Britains Ltd Malayan Tapir - Lead VS Plastic   Britains Ltd Malayan Tapir - Lead VS Plastic EmptyWed Aug 03, 2016 2:05 pm

rogerpgvg wrote:
Thanks, Chris. So 1968 is the year. That's very useful for dating the animals.

Hi Roger

Just to note that Britains were using PVC before 1968 for other items in their ranges. But 1968 was the year when they decided to use PVC for their zoo and farm animal series. Also 1968 was the pinnacle of Britains production and from 1969 the cull began with many items being withdrawn starting from that year.

If you only want one Britains catalogue I would recommend getting the 1968 one.

Chris

rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Re: Britains Ltd Malayan Tapir - Lead VS Plastic   Britains Ltd Malayan Tapir - Lead VS Plastic EmptyFri Aug 05, 2016 7:29 pm

I'll look out for the 1968 catalogue. I just found one on Ebay, but it's £75! There is also a DVD with all catalogues from the late 60s, which is a bit cheaper. I read that you have all Britains catalogues from the early 60s. Aren't you tempted to make some money out of your hobby and sell scans of your catalogues as a DVD?

PostSubject: Re: Britains Ltd Malayan Tapir - Lead VS Plastic   Britains Ltd Malayan Tapir - Lead VS Plastic Empty

Back to top Go down

Britains Ltd Malayan Tapir - Lead VS Plastic
Page 1 of 1