Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Jurassic World Pteranodon by Hasbro

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Rhamphorhynchus

Rhamphorhynchus

Country/State : United States

Jurassic World Pteranodon by Hasbro Empty
PostSubject: Jurassic World Pteranodon by Hasbro   Jurassic World Pteranodon by Hasbro EmptyFri Sep 25, 2015 12:05 am

If you have seen my walkaround for the Collecta Guidraco, you may rembember me saying it was the best pterosaur in my collection.  So I thought it would be fitting for me to review the worst in my collection: the Jurassic World Pteranodon
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]DSC_8213 by E H, on Flickr
The first thing I noticed about this figure is the teeth, which Pteranodon did not have.  In fact, its name means wing without tooth.  I don't know why this figure has teeth since the Pteranodons in the movie were toothless.  Moving on from that, the figure has a rather cheap feel to it.  It seems like it could break quite easily.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]DSC_8214 by E H, on Flickr
Closer view of the head.  Note the lack of a neck.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]DSC_8215 by E H, on Flickr
The back.  This creature's body is too fat and the wings are too short.  No way it would be able to fly.  Also, what is up with the phalanges bulging out like that?  The makers of this figure did do a good job sculpting all the wrinkles/scales.  There is a lot of detail.  However, the general consensus is that most if not all pterosaurs had a fur-like body covering called pycnofibers.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]DSC_8216 by E H, on Flickr
The sliding door on the belly is part of the figure's gimmick.  It also comes with a helicopter that can shoot a missile.  If it hits, the spring-loaded door comes down, revealing a gaping wound.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]DSC_8217 by E H, on Flickr
Rear view
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]DSC_8218 by E H, on Flickr
The figure has an action feature where if you squeeze the legs together, the wings will flap and it will move its head up and snap its jaws.  However, the jaws never fully close.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]DSC_8219 by E H, on Flickr
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]DSC_8220 by E H, on Flickr

Overall, this is a pretty poor figure.  I almost didn't buy it when I saw it at Target.  I imagine that kids would like this figure a lot (I would have when I was a kid) because of the fun action features as well as the inclusion of the helicopter, which allows them to recreate the pterosaur attack scene from the movie. However for adult collectors it is lacking.  It looks and feels cheap and has too many anatomical errors for my liking.  However, it actually does have a pteroid bone, which the Collecta Guidraco lacks.

Overall, 4/10

Last edited by Rhamphorhynchus on Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:58 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World Pteranodon by Hasbro   Jurassic World Pteranodon by Hasbro EmptyFri Sep 25, 2015 1:11 am

2? Laughing The design in toy figures is something that has a lot of interest for me. This is an action figure so it is designed like that. You surely could love it a lot as a boy as cyou commented and that was the exact purpose.
Action figures are designed for boys usually, no scientific imput and always a big effort to make it look impressive. Probably they found somewhwer that pteranodons have no teeth but for an action figure it was surely needed. i think the detailed scales is to help it giving a kind of dragon appearance. That's the extreme design in action figures so i think it makes it interesting in this regard. Papo is a brand that is not exactly a manufacturer of action toy sets but they have a lot of this design style in their figures, check their pteranodon. Very Happy
The other face of the coin are when they're made to please a still younger public, mainly girls, I am sure you have some cute and chubby pterosaurs around. Laughing
Talking about action figures, is there any Chap Mei among yours? Very Happy

Rhamphorhynchus

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World Pteranodon by Hasbro   Jurassic World Pteranodon by Hasbro EmptyFri Sep 25, 2015 2:39 am

Roger wrote:
2? Laughing The design in toy figures is something that has a lot of interest for me. This is an action figure so it is designed like that. You surely could love it a lot as a boy as cyou commented and that was the exact purpose.
Action figures are designed for boys usually, no scientific imput and always a big effort to make it look impressive. Probably they found somewhwer that pteranodons have no teeth but for an action figure it was surely needed. i think the detailed scales is to help it giving a kind of dragon appearance. That's the extreme design in action figures so i think it makes it interesting in this regard. Papo is a brand that is not exactly a manufacturer of action toy sets but they have a lot of this design style in their figures, check their pteranodon. Very Happy
The other face of the coin are when they're made to please a still younger public, mainly girls, I am sure you have some cute and chubby pterosaurs around. Laughing

Yeah, I'm sorry. I agree with you that I was too harsh on that figure

Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World Pteranodon by Hasbro   Jurassic World Pteranodon by Hasbro EmptyFri Sep 25, 2015 7:03 am

Rhamphorhynchus wrote:
Roger wrote:

Yeah, I'm sorry.  I agree with you that I was too harsh on that figure

Too harsh or not doesn't matter indeed, it is a nice review full of explanations and I like it. I also like very much you chose this model to make a walkaround. I think it is great to put the supertrooper on less known, less beautiful or less modern designed models. Sometimes it is the best way to have excellent discussions.

It is funny Rogério talked about Papo because it is excatly the brand I thought about when I looked at your pics. Papo pteranodon has also teeth and the wings look a bit like Papo macaw wings Laughing .

Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World Pteranodon by Hasbro   Jurassic World Pteranodon by Hasbro EmptyFri Sep 25, 2015 7:52 am

Thanks for the pics :)

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Rhamphorhynchus

Rhamphorhynchus

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World Pteranodon by Hasbro   Jurassic World Pteranodon by Hasbro EmptyFri Sep 25, 2015 8:02 am

widukind wrote:
Thanks for the pics :)

You're welcome

Rhamphorhynchus

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World Pteranodon by Hasbro   Jurassic World Pteranodon by Hasbro EmptyFri Sep 25, 2015 8:06 am

Kikimalou wrote:
Rhamphorhynchus wrote:
Roger wrote:

Too harsh or not doesn't matter indeed, it is a nice review full of explanations and I like it. I also like very much you chose this model to make a walkaround. I think it is great to put the supertrooper on less known, less beautiful or less modern designed models. Sometimes it is the best way to have excellent discussions.

It is funny Rogério talked about Papo because it is excatly the brand I thought about when I looked at your pics. Papo pteranodon has also teeth and the wings look a bit like Papo macaw wings Laughing .

Thanks, glad you like my review

I have the Papo Pteranodon. It is a beautifully done figure, although I wish it did not have teeth. I think they based it off the Pteranodons in Jurassic Park 3, which do have teeth. I've never seen the Papo macaw in person but in pictures the wings on the figure do seem short.

Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World Pteranodon by Hasbro   Jurassic World Pteranodon by Hasbro EmptyFri Sep 25, 2015 8:38 am

I enjoy it very much when there are discussions about prehistoric life here cheers

This model is indeed among the ugliest models I have seen, but still I learned something study
Pteranodons have no teeth !!! What a Face
That is what Papo did to me : they showed me that they have teeth, - shame on you, Papo Suspect Laughing

Rhamp, - keep'em comming. I love your topics Applause

PS : Where is that elusive pteroid bone ????? scratch

Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World Pteranodon by Hasbro   Jurassic World Pteranodon by Hasbro EmptyFri Sep 25, 2015 1:38 pm

Rhamphorhynchus wrote:
Kikimalou wrote:
Rhamphorhynchus wrote:
Roger wrote:

Thanks, glad you like my review

I have the Papo Pteranodon.  It is a beautifully done figure, although I wish it did not have teeth.  I think they based it off the Pteranodons in Jurassic Park 3, which do have teeth.  I've never seen the Papo macaw in person but in pictures the wings on the figure do seem short.

Luckily Christophe replied in a very wise way as it is usual with him. I am not saying you're being too harsh, I actually like your honest approach about the figure. You judge it according with your taste and that's the correct way. My comment is not an argumentation against your point of view, I am only trying to understand why the company used such a bizarre design in that figure. ... and obviously, I loved your walk around and when they're good, we have always a lot of things to discuss that is the main purpose of a forum. I really hope to see more topics like these from you. bounce

Rhamphorhynchus

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World Pteranodon by Hasbro   Jurassic World Pteranodon by Hasbro EmptySun Sep 27, 2015 12:39 am

SUSANNE wrote:
I enjoy it very much when there are discussions about prehistoric life here cheers

This model is indeed among the ugliest models I have seen, but still I learned something  study
Pteranodons have no teeth !!!  What a Face
That is what Papo did to me : they showed me that they have teeth, - shame on you, Papo  Suspect  Laughing

Rhamp, - keep'em comming. I love your topics Applause

PS : Where is that elusive pteroid bone ????? scratch

Thanks. I agree with you, in that it is an ugly model.

Yep, I believe the Papo Pteranodon is based off the Pteranodons in the movie Jurassic Park 3, which were incorrectly depicted with teeth. The name Pteranodon means toothless wing.

Here's a diagram showing where the pteroid bone is [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World Pteranodon by Hasbro   Jurassic World Pteranodon by Hasbro Empty

Back to top Go down

Jurassic World Pteranodon by Hasbro
Page 1 of 1