Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Play Visions Pteranodon

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Rhamphorhynchus

Rhamphorhynchus

Country/State : United States

Play Visions Pteranodon Empty
PostSubject: Play Visions Pteranodon   Play Visions Pteranodon EmptySat Oct 10, 2015 9:42 am

Pteranodon (name meaning wing without tooth) was a large pterosaur that lived in the Late Cretaceous in what is now North America. It had a 20-23 foot wingspan, making it one of the largest pterosaurs known. At the time it lived, much of North America was covered by ocean. It had very long and narrow wings suited for long distance soaring over water, similar to an albatross. It is known to have eaten fish and research suggests that it may have dived into the water like a pelican and swam underwater using its wings to propel itself to catch fish.

I was lucky to score this guy on an Ebay lot. I used to have one as a kid but I lost it years ago.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]078 by E H, on Flickr
This figure has quite a colorful paint job. It is supposed to stand up on its feet but mine can't. Pterosaurs were actually quadrupeds. Nice to see it has pyctofibers.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]079 by E H, on Flickr
This figure is odd in that it doesn't have the PV logo on it. But yet it looks identical to the one shown in the PV catalog posted here.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]080 by E H, on Flickr
I like the marking on the top of the head.

It is a pretty nice little figure. A rare one too.
Overall, 7/10

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Play Visions Pteranodon   Play Visions Pteranodon EmptySat Oct 10, 2015 11:34 am

Congrats :)

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Play Visions Pteranodon   Play Visions Pteranodon EmptySat Oct 10, 2015 1:31 pm

What a charming little feller Very Happy

sbell

sbell

Country/State : Canada

PostSubject: Re: Play Visions Pteranodon   Play Visions Pteranodon EmptySat Oct 10, 2015 7:57 pm

That mold has been around a long time--I had the original eraser versions in 1982 or so. Like many Play Visions dinosaurs, they didn't sculpt their own, but used someone else's molds (unlike pretty much any of their other lines).

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I'm also a big freshwater fish-figure fan. Know of anything new and exciting? I need to know as well!
Back to top Go down
http://faunafigures.com/
Rhamphorhynchus

Rhamphorhynchus

PostSubject: Re: Play Visions Pteranodon   Play Visions Pteranodon EmptySun Oct 11, 2015 12:20 am

widukind wrote:
Congrats :)

Rhamphorhynchus

PostSubject: Re: Play Visions Pteranodon   Play Visions Pteranodon EmptySun Oct 11, 2015 12:21 am

sbell wrote:
That mold has been around a long time--I had the original eraser versions in 1982 or so. Like many Play Visions dinosaurs, they didn't sculpt their own, but used someone else's molds (unlike pretty much any of their other lines).

Ah, ok. I guess that explains why it doesn't have the PV logo on it.

Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Play Visions Pteranodon   Play Visions Pteranodon EmptyMon Oct 12, 2015 12:36 pm

That's a cool figure, we still need to list these unmarked prehistoric PV figures on TAI. Thanks for sharing! Very Happy

Rhamphorhynchus

PostSubject: Re: Play Visions Pteranodon   Play Visions Pteranodon EmptyMon Oct 12, 2015 7:34 pm

Roger wrote:
That's a cool figure, we still need to list these unmarked prehistoric PV figures on TAI. Thanks for sharing! Very Happy

Thanks. It also came with 9 PV dinosaurs. I'll post them sometime.

Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Play Visions Pteranodon   Play Visions Pteranodon EmptyMon Oct 12, 2015 8:17 pm

Rhamphorhynchus wrote:
Roger wrote:

Thanks.  It also came with 9 PV dinosaurs.  I'll post them sometime.

Yes, you can present all of them in a single topic so we can identify better that set. Very Happy Thanks! :)

PostSubject: Re: Play Visions Pteranodon   Play Visions Pteranodon Empty

Back to top Go down

Play Visions Pteranodon
Page 1 of 1