Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Britains plastic Giant Tortoises

Go down 
+2
Kikimalou
Chris Sweetman
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Chris Sweetman

Chris Sweetman

Country/State : Nottinghamshire England

Britains plastic Giant Tortoises Empty
PostSubject: Britains plastic Giant Tortoises   Britains plastic Giant Tortoises EmptyMon Oct 19, 2015 1:11 am

Britains plastic Giant Tortoises 21664197484_58f897f9fd_c

On the left the original issue introduced in 1961 and replaced in 1972 with the version on the right which was deleted in 1998.
Both models were given the same number 1317.
The 1961 model was moulded in brown plastic which had a swirly type finish and grey paint was applied to the underside, legs, neck and face.
Black paint was also applied to the nails and to highlight the eyes.
In around 1968 a PVC version was issued and this was in brown without the swirl finish.
The new version was moulded in a bluely-grey PVC and brown paint was applied to the shell area.
As can be seen from the shell outline the old and new versions appear to be different species or at least different sub-species.
The old version has a distinct ‘saddle back’ shell whereas the new version is a dome shaped shell.
The Giant Tortoise was first released in 1931 as part of Britains lead range of Zoo animals and the first plastic model is derived from this mould.

Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Britains plastic Giant Tortoises   Britains plastic Giant Tortoises EmptyMon Oct 19, 2015 3:01 am

Thank you for the introduction, these models are for me the apex of the 60's and 70's turtles. Cool

I hope you will share more pics of these beauties, they deserve it Very Happy
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Britains plastic Giant Tortoises   Britains plastic Giant Tortoises EmptyMon Oct 19, 2015 8:44 am

They are beautyful !!! Applause Applause

It is very interesting to see and read these topics about Britains, - thankyou very much Very Happy

Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Britains plastic Giant Tortoises   Britains plastic Giant Tortoises EmptyMon Oct 19, 2015 1:03 pm

These topics comparing both versions of figures with the same product number are very interesting for me. Normally, I miss one of them once I'm not always aware of it. So now I know that there is a wonderful tortoise missing here. Very Happy
I have the old one here pictured with the Dinamização shy tortoise. Laughing
Britains plastic Giant Tortoises 7difMRR

Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Britains plastic Giant Tortoises   Britains plastic Giant Tortoises EmptyMon Oct 19, 2015 2:53 pm

Those two fit well together Very Happy
Back to top Go down
bjarki12

bjarki12

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Britains plastic Giant Tortoises   Britains plastic Giant Tortoises EmptyMon Oct 19, 2015 11:50 pm

Thanks for posting this, Chris! I really enjoy seeing these posts on the different variations and histories of vintage models.
Back to top Go down
Chris Sweetman

Chris Sweetman

PostSubject: Re: Britains plastic Giant Tortoises   Britains plastic Giant Tortoises EmptyTue Oct 20, 2015 12:14 am

Kikimalou wrote:
Thank you for the introduction, these models are for me the apex of the 60's and 70's turtles. Cool

I hope you will share more pics of these beauties, they deserve it Very Happy

You are welcome Christophe and these two tortoises are indeed fine replicas.

This image is the first of a few I plan to post.  Very Happy  

SUSANNE wrote:
They are beautyful !!!  Applause Applause

It is very interesting to see and read these topics about Britains, - thankyou very much Very Happy

Thank you Susanne always glad to supply information about Britains animal figures. I had the old version when I was young so having this example relives some wonderful memories.

Roger wrote:
These topics comparing both versions of figures with the same product number are very interesting for me. Normally, I miss one of them once I'm not always aware of it. So now I know that there is a wonderful tortoise missing here. Very Happy
I have the old one here pictured with the Dinamização shy tortoise. Laughing
Britains plastic Giant Tortoises 7difMRR

Roger what a nice tortoise model from Dinamização and a great companion to the Britains model. I have only heard of this brand from your postings here on STS. The newer Britains model shouldn’t be to hard to find and will certainly add nicely to the two you have pictured here.

Kikimalou wrote:

Fully agree Christophe and hopefully one day I will find an example of the Dinamização brand.

bjarki12 wrote:
Thanks for posting this, Chris!  I really enjoy seeing these posts on the different variations and histories of vintage models.  

Many thanks bjarki12 glad you find these posts informative. I always wanted to know what the difference was between these two Britains models too. It was only last Sunday at the Donington Toy fair that I was able to obtain the new tortoise model and therefore able to show a comparison between the two.

Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Britains plastic Giant Tortoises   Britains plastic Giant Tortoises EmptyTue Oct 20, 2015 9:28 am

Chris Sweetman wrote:

Yesssss cheers
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Britains plastic Giant Tortoises   Britains plastic Giant Tortoises EmptyTue Oct 20, 2015 2:45 pm

A nice tortoise :)

STS members can merge Very Happy

sunny Andreas sunny
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Britains plastic Giant Tortoises   Britains plastic Giant Tortoises EmptyTue Oct 20, 2015 11:38 pm

Chris Sweetman wrote:
Roger what a nice tortoise model from Dinamização and a great companion to the Britains model. I have only heard of this brand from your postings here on STS. The newer Britains model shouldn’t be to hard to find and will certainly add nicely to the two you have pictured here.

Kikimalou wrote:

Fully agree Christophe and hopefully one day I will find an example of the Dinamização brand.

Hello Chris, it is true, I think only Andreas posted a Dinamização figure that I was not the source of it. scratch These figures were only sold in Portugal as far as I know and it seems I acquired the few ones that were available in Portuguese websites.
There's still a uncomplete lot available and I am contacting a previous seller to see if I can get an extra tortoise to join the sea lion that I have here for you. Sleep Very Happy

Chris Sweetman

PostSubject: Re: Britains plastic Giant Tortoises   Britains plastic Giant Tortoises EmptyWed Oct 21, 2015 12:22 am

Kikimalou wrote:
Chris Sweetman wrote:

Yesssss cheers

Hoping to include an image of the undersides of both models. The new model’s underside is well detailed and worth seeing.

Chris Sweetman

Chris Sweetman

PostSubject: Re: Britains plastic Giant Tortoises   Britains plastic Giant Tortoises EmptyWed Oct 21, 2015 12:23 am

widukind wrote:
A nice tortoise :)

Thank you Andreas. Very Happy

Chris Sweetman

Chris Sweetman

PostSubject: Re: Britains plastic Giant Tortoises   Britains plastic Giant Tortoises EmptyWed Oct 21, 2015 12:29 am

Roger wrote:
Chris Sweetman wrote:

Kikimalou wrote:

Hello Chris, it is true, I think only Andreas posted a Dinamização figure that I was not the source of it. scratch These figures were only sold in Portugal as far as I know and it seems I acquired the few ones that were available in Portuguese websites.
There's still a uncomplete lot available and I am contacting a previous seller to see if I can get an extra tortoise to join the sea lion that I have here for you. Sleep Very Happy

Roger, this is very kind of you to locate this fascinating Dinamização tortoise for me. I didn’t know you had that sea lion especially for me too. The friendship I have found on STS is truly amazing. Once again many thanks for your time searching for these models and for your kindness.

Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Britains plastic Giant Tortoises   Britains plastic Giant Tortoises EmptyWed Oct 21, 2015 10:55 pm

Chris Sweetman wrote:
Roger wrote:
Chris Sweetman wrote:

Kikimalou wrote:

Roger, this is very kind of you to locate this fascinating Dinamização tortoise for me. I didn’t know you had that sea lion especially for me too. The friendship I have found on STS is truly amazing. Once again many thanks for your time searching for these models and for your kindness.

You're welcome and thanks for your words. It seems we are lucky and it won't be hard to locate a tortoise, if you want more Dinamização, please send to me a rpivate message or just post here, I can't find all at this moment but surely I can find a good part of them. You can see the whole collection here!

PostSubject: Re: Britains plastic Giant Tortoises   Britains plastic Giant Tortoises Empty

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1