Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

REBOR Knock off (fake replica) thread:

Go down 
+2
LeeAnn
Viking Spawn
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Viking Spawn

Viking Spawn

Country/State : U.S.A. Ohio

REBOR Knock off (fake replica) thread: Empty
PostSubject: REBOR Knock off (fake replica) thread:   REBOR Knock off (fake replica) thread: EmptyWed Jan 06, 2016 7:34 pm

Looks like as with all major companies....  Rebor too, has become the next victim of someone counterfeiting their creations.  I found that 3 of their dinosaur models have been duplicated so far.  I discovered them on eBay and they come from China.  You can clearly see the similarities but they lack the detail, beautiful paint apps, and some articulation.  And the prices are much cheaper too.

This seller also sells fake Papo, Schleich, etc.  However, some of the asking prices for those, one might as well pay the few extra dollars/currency to buy the real things.

Y-Rex:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Savage:

King T-Rex:

No

LeeAnn

LeeAnn

Country/State : United States

PostSubject: Re: REBOR Knock off (fake replica) thread:   REBOR Knock off (fake replica) thread: EmptyWed Jan 06, 2016 7:56 pm

What a shame! Sad However, this means Rebor must be doing well and seen as a threat if they are being copied.

Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: REBOR Knock off (fake replica) thread:   REBOR Knock off (fake replica) thread: EmptyWed Jan 06, 2016 10:51 pm

Interesting Shocked

But you are right, they do not at all have the beautyful finish, - and the bases not either, I suppose ?

Viking Spawn

Viking Spawn

PostSubject: Re: REBOR Knock off (fake replica) thread:   REBOR Knock off (fake replica) thread: EmptyThu Jan 07, 2016 11:29 pm

There are no bases to my knowledge. Or at least none were mentioned or shown in the auction descriptions. No

Ana

Ana

Country/State : Utrecht/NL

PostSubject: Re: REBOR Knock off (fake replica) thread:   REBOR Knock off (fake replica) thread: EmptyFri Jan 08, 2016 9:23 am

So young company and already copied? I think the quality and finish is completely not comparable but it's anyway sad to see Sad No

Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: REBOR Knock off (fake replica) thread:   REBOR Knock off (fake replica) thread: EmptyFri Jan 08, 2016 9:29 am

Bad copies and sad news What a Face
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: REBOR Knock off (fake replica) thread:   REBOR Knock off (fake replica) thread: EmptyFri Jan 08, 2016 7:08 pm

That's interesting to know although it is not good to the toy industry. However, The way I understand the market, these figures won't have any kind of effect in REBOR sales. The traditional REBOR customer won't ever replace the original REBOR for these China copies. As a collector, I also would never buy one of these only because they are cheaper. The problem is that someone is wining money, on the Chinasaur market, just copying other works what is a real treat to other Chinasaur seller or those companies that make original products oriented to a lower price range market. Thanks for sharing! Very Happy

Viking Spawn

PostSubject: Re: REBOR Knock off (fake replica) thread:   REBOR Knock off (fake replica) thread: EmptySat Jan 09, 2016 11:51 am

I too, would never buy any of these! I see the resemblances to the originals and the only thing I like about any of them is that the T-Rex can stand on its own without any support. Otherwise, these are much inferiors products to Rebor's models.

Companies like Rebor must be aware of this but surprisingly I never heard of any of them seeking legal action? Perhaps its not possible? I know companies like Papo, Schleich, and Safari sell their products at a lower price and I wonder if these fakes actually infringe upon their sales more so since their prices are similar? At least with Rebor's price comparison, not so much.

Viking Spawn

Viking Spawn

PostSubject: Re: REBOR Knock off (fake replica) thread:   REBOR Knock off (fake replica) thread: EmptyFri Jan 22, 2016 8:31 am

Now THIS fits every definition of the term "knock off" or "Bootleg!" Even right down to the foot stand!  

Looks like a lot of Rebor's fine detailing is still present too.  They definitely were able to recast the mold.  Even the paint app is very close!  

Viking Spawn

Viking Spawn

PostSubject: Re: REBOR Knock off (fake replica) thread:   REBOR Knock off (fake replica) thread: EmptyFri Jan 22, 2016 8:34 am

Hmm? This also makes me wonder since this is originally coming out of China, I wonder if its possible a Rebor factory mold was stolen and then reproduced?

Ana

Ana

Country/State : Utrecht/NL

PostSubject: Re: REBOR Knock off (fake replica) thread:   REBOR Knock off (fake replica) thread: EmptyFri Jan 22, 2016 10:22 am

This is so sad to see. Someone is making money one someone else's work without spending one minute on research, sculpting or anything else. I don't think the mold was stolen, recast is probably easy enough to do, but who knows.  Evil or Very Mad Rolling Eyes Neutral

Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: REBOR Knock off (fake replica) thread:   REBOR Knock off (fake replica) thread: EmptyFri Jan 22, 2016 1:59 pm

I agree with Anna, it is probably just a recast, the work is much easier when you only have to copy what is already done. Actually it is disturbing how faithful it is when compared with the original and it is a little cruel to a recently born company. Though, we can always focus in some positive points, if they are copied, it means that they turned a known company and their figures are seen as commercially valuable. I also feel that the first almost agression of some collectors towards REBOR is vanishing and the company is getting more and more appreciated. I believe, that most like you, after starting collecting them, will feel tempted to get them all. :)

Viking Spawn

PostSubject: Re: REBOR Knock off (fake replica) thread:   REBOR Knock off (fake replica) thread: EmptyFri Jan 22, 2016 6:29 pm

I'm not sure how familiar everyone is with American music pop culture. But back in the 90's, there was a music artist by the name of Weird Al Yankovic. He made his fame by making parodies of other famous artists hit songs. The industry said if Weird Al had picked an artist's song to parody, then they truly struck fame in the industry.

Here is an example and my favorite Weird Al parody of the Michael Jackson son "Bad":

Like Roger said, Rebor is young and becoming a hot item with collectors. So, in a sense (not necessarily a good one) this is a hint that they too, have struck fame in the industry.

PS: On a side note, had this knock off been altered to stand on its own two feet like the previous attempt noted in this thread, I would be really tempted to buy one. (Forgive me, my thoughts are impure! Evil or Very Mad )

Viking Spawn

Viking Spawn

PostSubject: Re: REBOR Knock off (fake replica) thread:   REBOR Knock off (fake replica) thread: EmptySat Mar 26, 2016 6:43 pm

I did an article on the bootleg T-Rex observed above. It can be found on my website here:

SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: REBOR Knock off (fake replica) thread:   REBOR Knock off (fake replica) thread: EmptySun Mar 27, 2016 10:14 am

This must be very irritating for REBOR, - or perhaps not ? scratch
They could cover two different markets...

"Real" collectors would probably get real REBOR ( or both, for fun), while children may get the chance of a beautyful model for a price they or their parents/grandparents want to pay for a toy Very Happy

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: REBOR Knock off (fake replica) thread:   REBOR Knock off (fake replica) thread: Empty

Back to top Go down

REBOR Knock off (fake replica) thread:
Page 1 of 1