Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Which brand has the best cats?

Go down 
+4
Ningishzidda
Roger
Wilorvise
Anne from Norway
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Anne from Norway

Anne from Norway

Country/State : Norway

Which brand has the best cats? Empty
PostSubject: Which brand has the best cats?   Which brand has the best cats? EmptyThu Jan 07, 2016 11:07 pm

I used to be a cat breeder, and have quite a good knowledge about cats and the different breeds. I have yet to see some really good replica of different cat breeds, does anybody know of any? Any good ones? The old Schleich ones are no good, they leave MUCH to be desired, it must be possible to do?
Back to top Go down
Wilorvise

Wilorvise

Country/State : Colorado, USA

PostSubject: Re: Which brand has the best cats?   Which brand has the best cats? EmptyThu Jan 07, 2016 11:24 pm

There's a SUY Tame cat topic, which might be better than any input I have, since it's a visual reference?
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

or you could check out the toy animal wiki, it probably lists more, but more clicking.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Which brand has the best cats?   Which brand has the best cats? EmptyFri Jan 08, 2016 9:10 am

There is no doubt in my mind that Schleich has made the most wonderful cats, - Papo isn't bad either, but not so many Very Happy
CollectA made many different breeds. They are ok, but to me they look a bit ...not quite right scratch

Take a look here : [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The breeds may be a bit hard to find on TAI, but click the "Other topics" to the left and you will find "BREEDS" .

Anne from Norway

Anne from Norway

PostSubject: Re: Which brand has the best cats?   Which brand has the best cats? EmptyFri Jan 08, 2016 9:26 am

Thanks for the links! Yes, normally I'm a big Schleich fan, but when it comes to cats I'm not impressed. But I guess it's like with all the horse people here, that find flaws with every horse that I don't see. I guess the more you know about what it is SUPPOSED to look like, the easier it is to find the faults.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Which brand has the best cats?   Which brand has the best cats? EmptyFri Jan 08, 2016 2:24 pm

I am not the best person to judge which cats are better, but my recomendation is the usual, try to choose from different companies those you like better. I don't collect them but from what I know, all brands use more or less the same scale (1:9 scale). So they fit well together.
Choosing also a single brand, I agree with expert Susanne, the most interesting collection is Schleich's what doesn't mean they're accurate. They just have a good number of breeds and they look nice, CollectA is also an extensive collection but their cat series is probably the worst of their collections.

SUSANNE wrote:
There is no doubt in my mind that Schleich has made the most wonderful cats, - Papo isn't bad either, but not so many Very Happy
CollectA made many different breeds. They are ok,  but to me they look a bit ...not quite right scratch

Take a look here : [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The breeds may be a bit hard to find on TAI, but click the "Other topics" to the left and you will find "BREEDS" .

Maybe it is a good idea to add on main page a link to search by breed linking to this category? OK, we only have breeds for cats, dogs, horses, cattle and pigs but they're a lot together.
Maybe it is not redudant towards the search by taxonomy once breeds are not necessarily different taxonomic levels. :)

Anne from Norway

PostSubject: Re: Which brand has the best cats?   Which brand has the best cats? EmptySun Jan 17, 2016 1:53 pm

I wonder, why are cats so hard to make? Many brands manage to make decent looking dogs and horses, but I still haven´t seen a really good cat! It´s something with the eyes that always looks wrong, making them look very "toyish".
Back to top Go down
Wilorvise

Wilorvise

Country/State : Colorado, USA

PostSubject: Re: Which brand has the best cats?   Which brand has the best cats? EmptySun Jan 17, 2016 2:32 pm

What? Toyish? Mr. Kitty doesn't know what you mean... (Not serious, in case of confusion)
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Country/State : Washington State USA

PostSubject: Re: Which brand has the best cats?   Which brand has the best cats? EmptyTue Jun 21, 2016 11:20 pm

Hahahah that face is hilarious!
Back to top Go down
barracudacat

barracudacat

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Which brand has the best cats?   Which brand has the best cats? EmptyMon Sep 05, 2016 9:29 pm

Actually, I think a lot of brands make wonderful cats. I've been really happy with the Bullyland ones for representing different breeds. I also really liked the Safari domestic cats toob. I don't own this one, but they've got an example of many of the common cat breeds and are around 1:12 scale.

shadoweon

Country/State : Virginia,United States

PostSubject: Re: Which brand has the best cats?   Which brand has the best cats? EmptyMon Sep 12, 2016 6:21 pm

Of whats currently on the market i'd say Papo or Kaiyodo. Some of the more recent Schleich cats are really nice though, like the stretching male cat. Unfortunately it's retired but its not too hard to find for sale.

The current ones from Schliech aren't particularly impressive but they are cute atleast.

SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: Which brand has the best cats?   Which brand has the best cats? EmptyMon Sep 12, 2016 10:53 pm

After the last time I saw this topic, Papo has expanded their range of cat breeds to four : Siam, Persian, Chartreux and "Cay-cat", and I love them very much Very Happy

barracudacat

barracudacat

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Which brand has the best cats?   Which brand has the best cats? EmptySun Sep 18, 2016 5:45 pm

Quote :
Of whats currently on the market i'd say Papo or Kaiyodo. Some of the more recent Schleich cats are really nice though, like the stretching male cat. Unfortunately it's retired but its not too hard to find for sale.

That really is a beautiful cat model.  It's one of the nicest I've seen.  Breyer makes some good ones too, both large and small, but they can be very hard to find and I would recommend this figure over them.

I managed to pick up the Safari Domestic Cats tube and so far, I've been very happy with this set.  True the paint isn't the greatest, but be warned that the newer versions have even sloppier paint than this.  Anyone else interested should try to get the old ones while you still can.

The first picture shows my favorites from the set, the Domestic Shorthair, New Forest, and Siamese.

The second picture shows what looks like a Cornish Rex and Scottish Fold strangely mislabeled as an Angora and Persian.

The third shows what I think are some of the more toyish ones, an Egyptian Mau and Abyssinian.

Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: Which brand has the best cats?   Which brand has the best cats? EmptySun Sep 18, 2016 9:45 pm

Godh ! Is it true that the paintwork can get worse ? Shocked

Well, apart from the paintwork, and the wrong breed names on some of them, I love this toob, - and your photos surely do them justice Applause Very Happy

Tupolew Tu-154

Tupolew Tu-154

Country/State : Skynet Central

PostSubject: Re: Which brand has the best cats?   Which brand has the best cats? EmptySun Sep 18, 2016 10:38 pm

Small cats: Schleich
Big cats: Papo
Smilodon: Collecta

PostSubject: Re: Which brand has the best cats?   Which brand has the best cats? Empty

Back to top Go down

Which brand has the best cats?
Page 1 of 1