Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Bullyland tsessebe or assaby or topi ;-)

Go down 
+7
donny ong
Kikimalou
Roger
NightLioness
Wilorvise
bojan
SUSANNE
11 posters
AuthorMessage
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

Bullyland tsessebe or assaby or topi ;-) Empty
PostSubject: Bullyland tsessebe or assaby or topi ;-)   Bullyland tsessebe or assaby or topi ;-) EmptySat Jan 09, 2016 9:17 pm

The first challenge for making a walkaround of these lovely models, is to decide what species they actually are !
In the catalogue they are called Leierantilope in German, and sassaby in English.
Wikipedia describes them here : Common Tsessebe or Sassaby
However these have sub-species, as you can see under the genus Damaliscus  study

As we will see further down, the model is far from realistic for any of them, but it could well be a Topi, perhaps a Serengeti-tsessebe  Wink
Here is a picture of one :
Bullyland tsessebe or assaby or topi ;-) Topia1_Photo_zps2nfrkhm3

I am sure somebody else can tell more, or perhaps even correct me, but as it is so easy to write "Topi", I will use that name below.  Laughing

Well, here we go :  Bullyland 63585 Tsessebe and Bullyland 63597 Tsessebe Calf, both manufactured 2003 - 2007  Very Happy

Two moms and a calf. They were made during a period, where Bullyland , as one of the first, was struggeling to find a paint that was unharmful to the children as well as the environment. This gave some serious problems with peeling, and it is very hard to find these models in perfect condition  Crying or Very sad
Bullyland tsessebe or assaby or topi ;-) Topia1a_zpsicdgjzej

Here you see them together with the other Bullyland antelope from that period, and with the Schleich one for size comparison :
Bullyland tsessebe or assaby or topi ;-) Topia1b_Compare_zpsffk6hry5

I have two variations, one is glossy and one is matte.
Bullyland tsessebe or assaby or topi ;-) Topia1_Two_zps8qbbh6ww

Both have the little "Sun" stamped on them. This was used to help Bullyland keep track of the quality of the paints thay were using. The "Sun" illustrates the non-toxic concept.
Both are further marked a "2", which shows they were made in a mould made for making at least 2 topis at a time, and mine both came from the same part of the mould.
Bullyland tsessebe or assaby or topi ;-) Topia1_Two_Under_zpsokhax0ly

And now a walkaround of the adult. A nice, slender model, with the typical hump on the shoulder.
The back could be a little more slanding towards the rear. But looking at pictures, I get the impression that the females don't sland very much.
Bullyland tsessebe or assaby or topi ;-) Topib1_zps9uoqs6fz

Bullyland tsessebe or assaby or topi ;-) Topib2_zpsd2dl2bou

Bullyland tsessebe or assaby or topi ;-) Topib3_zps5xv9skp6

Bullyland tsessebe or assaby or topi ;-) Topib4_zpssoqzdgjk

Bullyland tsessebe or assaby or topi ;-) Topib5_zpstekdckxg

Bullyland tsessebe or assaby or topi ;-) Topib6_zpsdk7gldlz

Bullyland tsessebe or assaby or topi ;-) Topib7_zpsbzccodpz

The hooves are nice and the legs more slender than many plastic models from that time:
Bullyland tsessebe or assaby or topi ;-) Topic1_zpsnmuqwoh4

Bullyland tsessebe or assaby or topi ;-) Topic2_zpsl74yqele

The tail is totally correct wit the funny flat  tip with hair on the sides :
Bullyland tsessebe or assaby or topi ;-) Topic3_zpsfzrxloen

Now to the head.
It can't be denied that it is shaped completely wrong  Sad
Topis and the like have long, skinny faces with the eyes placed incredibly high on the head.
I can imagine the poor designer presenting a correct model to the marketing people, and being sent screeming and kicking back to his work-table to make the head more "cute"  Suspect  Laughing
And it is a very cute head ....for a deer  rendeer  geek
Bullyland tsessebe or assaby or topi ;-) Topi_Face_zpswegxeu8q

Bullyland tsessebe or assaby or topi ;-) Topi_Face2_zpseys240n5

Bullyland tsessebe or assaby or topi ;-) Topi_Face3_zpsk8canbnq

Bullyland tsessebe or assaby or topi ;-) Topi_Face4_zpsyay2i3wa

Bullyland tsessebe or assaby or topi ;-) Topi_Face5_zpsmjaht9ut

Last, just a mini-walkaround of the calf Very Happy
Bullyland tsessebe or assaby or topi ;-) Topi_Young1_zpsetsogsl4

Bullyland tsessebe or assaby or topi ;-) Topi_Young2_zpsh2swgalt

Bullyland tsessebe or assaby or topi ;-) Topi_Young3_zpsbdfvmerv

Thanks for watching Wink

bojan

Country/State : slovenia

PostSubject: Re: Bullyland tsessebe or assaby or topi ;-)   Bullyland tsessebe or assaby or topi ;-) EmptySat Jan 09, 2016 9:52 pm

Thanks for showing these amazing pictures. It's one of my favorite Bullyland models ever, still missing the calf though.

Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: Bullyland tsessebe or assaby or topi ;-)   Bullyland tsessebe or assaby or topi ;-) EmptySat Jan 09, 2016 10:03 pm

Thankyou, Bojan Very Happy

Yes, - strange that the calf is so hard to find scratch

Wilorvise

Wilorvise

Country/State : Colorado, USA

PostSubject: Re: Bullyland tsessebe or assaby or topi ;-)   Bullyland tsessebe or assaby or topi ;-) EmptySat Jan 09, 2016 10:28 pm

Lovely and informative walk around, Susanne. cheers sunny Applause

NightLioness

Country/State : The Netherlands, Friesland.

PostSubject: Re: Bullyland tsessebe or assaby or topi ;-)   Bullyland tsessebe or assaby or topi ;-) EmptySat Jan 09, 2016 11:14 pm

I never knew Bullyland made such antelopes, and the calf looks so cute!
I really enjoy watching these Bullyland topics of your Susanne Very Happy

Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Bullyland tsessebe or assaby or topi ;-)   Bullyland tsessebe or assaby or topi ;-) EmptySun Jan 10, 2016 1:08 am

I love this presentation! You did a fantastic work with this walk around! cheers
Bullyland section is not so active lately and this brand was responsible for several very interesting releases being sometimes quite innovative.
Topi antelopes pair is a very good example and it deserved such a great topic. Calling it a tsessebe, topi or sassaby is not clear, I've watched several different uses according with the source. scratch
It is always good when figures representing antelopes from the Alcelaphinae subfamily are not only gnus although Bullyland released a blue wildebeest in the same exact year.
When referring to diversity, it is impossible not to talk about Starlux that offered us a red hartebeest a few years before... and keeping the diversity subject, isn't it curious that CollectA is releasing a [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] for 2016? bounce
After my long comment, I want to second your comment about the head, you're absolutly right! These creatures have long and laterally flattened heads, eys are high placed and facing to the sides and not to the front as all brands insisted in these days. It is indeed a design strategy and not always lack of ability to replicate. Schleich did the same with the old oryx for instance. They look more attractive to children like that Very Happy
Though, I love that figure and thanks to you I am a proud owner of one of it. cheers

Bullyland tsessebe or assaby or topi ;-) Topi
Picture of a tsessebe female with calf

Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: Bullyland tsessebe or assaby or topi ;-)   Bullyland tsessebe or assaby or topi ;-) EmptySun Jan 10, 2016 8:58 am

Thankyou, dear friends, for all the kind words cheers

Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Bullyland tsessebe or assaby or topi ;-)   Bullyland tsessebe or assaby or topi ;-) EmptySun Jan 10, 2016 9:54 am

Thank you for this great topic about a venerable oldie.cheers Due to their odd heads, the genera Damaliscus and Alcelaphus are under-represented in the toy world. Too bad because they are very interresting antelopes.

Bullyland made great things in the past and was very innovative with never made species and new production process and materials. Applause

I hope you will show more of your treasures here Susanne Very Happy
Back to top Go down
donny ong

Country/State : indonesia

PostSubject: Re: Bullyland tsessebe or assaby or topi ;-)   Bullyland tsessebe or assaby or topi ;-) EmptyMon Jan 11, 2016 1:15 am

Thank you Susanne!

Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Bullyland tsessebe or assaby or topi ;-)   Bullyland tsessebe or assaby or topi ;-) EmptyMon Jan 11, 2016 9:25 am

One of the best Bullyland figurines ever :)

STS members can merge Very Happy

sunny Andreas sunny
Back to top Go down
SeanieP

SeanieP

Country/State : Woburn (Boston), MA US

PostSubject: Re: Bullyland tsessebe or assaby or topi ;-)   Bullyland tsessebe or assaby or topi ;-) EmptyMon Jan 11, 2016 8:34 pm

I have the adult one and a calf, but she is missing a horn. The adult one has the same underbelly as Suzanne's but this one has the # "1" instead of "2". I also do not have a tag on it. I have no need for it (too big in size compared to other brands) if there is an interest in her. Let me know if anyone is interested or if I should put it under trade/sale area of the Forum. The adult is is very good to excellent condition.

WILLYBACOMAN

Country/State : Zwolle, The Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: Bullyland tsessebe or assaby or topi ;-)   Bullyland tsessebe or assaby or topi ;-) EmptyMon Jun 05, 2017 5:38 am

I found a bunch of them in the past on a very unlikely place, but at least i bought one new example, and later on i found the very rare calf indeed.
as many of you know my collection is for sale, and here you can find these antelopes, i think for reasonable prices also... Wink
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: Bullyland tsessebe or assaby or topi ;-)   Bullyland tsessebe or assaby or topi ;-) EmptyMon Jun 05, 2017 9:17 am

Hi Willy !!! cheers

Good to see you here Very Happy sunny

WILLYBACOMAN

WILLYBACOMAN

Country/State : Zwolle, The Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: Bullyland tsessebe or assaby or topi ;-)   Bullyland tsessebe or assaby or topi ;-) EmptyMon Jun 12, 2017 7:53 pm

Thank you Suzy dearest!

Anne from Norway

Country/State : Norway

PostSubject: Re: Bullyland tsessebe or assaby or topi ;-)   Bullyland tsessebe or assaby or topi ;-) EmptyTue Jun 13, 2017 2:38 pm

Really some fantastic models! Thanks for the presentation!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bullyland tsessebe or assaby or topi ;-)   Bullyland tsessebe or assaby or topi ;-) Empty

Back to top Go down

Bullyland tsessebe or assaby or topi ;-)
Page 1 of 1