Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Help with these Prior (and other) fish

Go down 
+2
smallscaleworld
SUSANNE
6 posters
AuthorMessage
sbell

sbell

Country/State : Canada

10 - Help with these Prior (and other) fish Empty
PostSubject: Help with these Prior (and other) fish   10 - Help with these Prior (and other) fish EmptySun 14 Feb 2016, 01:50

So I recently came into a bunch of fish models, mostly PRIOR. And overall, I have no idea what many of them should be--so I'm putting it out there, in case anyone can help. Really, if I can even get them to family it will be a good starting place--overall, the 'normal' fishes are my weakest area for fish names!

And then, honestly, I'll probably try to find new homes for many of them, since I only have room for a few of them...but I want to get names for them first!

1. I really want to know what this one is. It's kind of like a green eye, but the fins are wrong...it's not a PRIOR as it is made of hard plastic
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I think this is a cyprinid of some kind...guesses?

A rivuline of some kind?

And just because...the PRIOR lists call this a Bala shark! It is just so ridiculous...I don't think it's really anything (it more closely resembles an ichthyosaur than anything!)

Thanks for your help!

EDIT--I added numbers to the pictures to make it easier to track them!

I'm also a big freshwater fish-figure fan. Know of anything new and exciting? I need to know as well!

Last edited by sbell on Wed 28 Feb 2018, 15:31; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://faunafigures.com/
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Help with these Prior (and other) fish   10 - Help with these Prior (and other) fish EmptySun 14 Feb 2016, 07:38

They are beautyful, I hope you find them Very Happy

sbell

sbell

PostSubject: Re: Help with these Prior (and other) fish   10 - Help with these Prior (and other) fish EmptySun 14 Feb 2016, 14:33

With hep from a few different places, we have at least some of these identified!

So far this has been really helpful!

The ID's that are probably pretty close so far (from a few different places...):

1. Still no idea

2. Damslefish? Or blue-striped snapper Lutjanus kasmira or something similar

3. Scatophagus with fancy colours

4. Holacanthus ciiaris, again, done up fancy. It is possible that a related species could have a more closely-matched colour. Again, reef fish and perciformes are not my thing!

5. Etroplus maculatus, orange chromide cichlid. The colour seemed off, but then I found this:

6. So far, Asian barb of some kind. And yet I'm sure I've seen these somewhere....the snout is familiar...and about the size, too.

7. Barbodes lateristiga, T-barb

8. Pterapogon kauderni Banggai Cardinalfish or Sphaeramia nematoptera Pyjama Cardinalfish (or something related--there are a lot of cardinal fish!)

9. So far I've heard bowfin (probably not, which is too bad!) and snakehead (closer? The dorsal fin is off) and I threw out pike cichlid Crenichal. Again, there is something familiar about it.

10. Bass of some kind? PRIOR listed them as Nanochromis, but nope.

11. Austrolebias nigripinnis (formerly Cynolebias nigripinnis)

12. Probably not a dolphin (vertical tail). Probably not anything, really--just a terrible attempt at a shark, perhaps?

So some answers...and some questions still...

I'm also a big freshwater fish-figure fan. Know of anything new and exciting? I need to know as well!
Back to top Go down
smallscaleworld

smallscaleworld

Country/State : Hampshire, UK

PostSubject: Re: Help with these Prior (and other) fish   10 - Help with these Prior (and other) fish EmptySun 14 Feb 2016, 19:12

That first one is stunning...and early looking - 1940/50's, can't help ID it I'm afraid, but really gorgeous! Nice find.

Is it a Salmon in the moult? If that's the right word...when they go all pointy and die? Canadian?

eBay - smallscaleworld

Last edited by smallscaleworld on Sun 14 Feb 2016, 19:15; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added question)
Back to top Go down
sbell

sbell

PostSubject: Re: Help with these Prior (and other) fish   10 - Help with these Prior (and other) fish EmptySun 14 Feb 2016, 19:18

smallscaleworld wrote:
That first one is stunning...and early looking - 1940/50's, can't help ID it I'm afraid, but really gorgeous! Nice find.

Is it a Salmon in the moult? If that's the right word...when they go all pointy and die? Canadian?

I know! It's a fantastic figure! I just wish I knew what it is supposed to be. It has the marbled-plastic texture of a Marx figure, but is not part of any Marx set that I know of.

Back to top Go down
sbell

sbell

PostSubject: Re: Help with these Prior (and other) fish   10 - Help with these Prior (and other) fish EmptyMon 15 Feb 2016, 00:22

More update--#6 is likely Anostomus, a headstander (a characin). In crazy red colours, of course!

Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Help with these Prior (and other) fish   10 - Help with these Prior (and other) fish EmptyMon 15 Feb 2016, 13:07

Interesting figurines :) i think the last is a dolphin.

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Jennypurr

Country/State : Tennessee, USA

PostSubject: Re: Help with these Prior (and other) fish   10 - Help with these Prior (and other) fish EmptyMon 21 Mar 2016, 05:48

Thought I'd put in my 2 cents on these fish!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] looks like some variety of armored catfish though it doesn't have the "whiskers".
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] appears to be a Cichlid
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] isn't any bass I've ever seen; looks more like a neontetra, but the dorsal fin in wrong
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] looks like a male guppy I had when I was a teenager

Not sure I was of much help.
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Help with these Prior (and other) fish   10 - Help with these Prior (and other) fish EmptyTue 28 Jun 2016, 16:28

The 8. is a Pyjama cardinalfish.

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Help with these Prior (and other) fish   10 - Help with these Prior (and other) fish EmptyWed 15 Mar 2017, 17:12

I miss the pics Sad

Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Help with these Prior (and other) fish   10 - Help with these Prior (and other) fish EmptyWed 15 Mar 2017, 19:32

widukind wrote:
I miss the pics Sad

So am I No
Back to top Go down
sbell

sbell

PostSubject: Re: Help with these Prior (and other) fish   10 - Help with these Prior (and other) fish EmptyWed 15 Mar 2017, 23:17

Augh! Sorry guys. I had to move my collection pictures, and I wasn't always sure which ones got lost.

It will take a while, but I will see if I can figure out what they are and go through the process of reloading them.

Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Help with these Prior (and other) fish   10 - Help with these Prior (and other) fish EmptyThu 16 Mar 2017, 07:15

sbell wrote:
Augh! Sorry guys. I had to move my collection pictures, and I wasn't always sure which ones got lost.

It will take a while, but I will see if I can figure out what they are and go through the process of reloading them.

Great

Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Help with these Prior (and other) fish   10 - Help with these Prior (and other) fish EmptyTue 27 Feb 2018, 15:06

sbell wrote:

bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce

Back to top Go down
sbell

sbell

PostSubject: Re: Help with these Prior (and other) fish   10 - Help with these Prior (and other) fish EmptyTue 27 Feb 2018, 16:04

widukind wrote:
sbell wrote:

bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce

Sorry, it gets by me--updating is a pain. But now I know that I can at least track them based on photo numbers. I was worried that I'd done something different...

Back to top Go down
sbell

sbell

PostSubject: Pictures reloaded and updates on IDs!   10 - Help with these Prior (and other) fish EmptyWed 28 Feb 2018, 16:12

Good news everyone! I finally put the pictures back!

And after recent discussions on FB and other sources, I can update the IDs where possible here...again, Prior/Azur fish are often sculpted well (other than [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]...what on earth were they doing there?) but the paint jobs/plastic colours leave things a little trickier to figure out.

So the current identifications:

1. Figuring this one out was a big coup. I turned to my large number of fish scientists tweeps on Twitter and after much discussion was able to get an ID! From what people could tell it is likely Narcetes stomias, the Blackhead slickhead or Blackhead salmon. Based on a dead specimen...

2. Damselfish? Or blue-striped snapper Lutjanus kasmira? Still the best anyone has come up with.

3. Scatophagus with fancy colours

4. Holacanthus ciliaris, Diadem or Queen angelfish

5. Pseudetroplus maculatus (formerly Etroplus), orange chromide cichlid. But it apparently also has the exact colour match to Centropyge narcosis

6. Anostomus anostomus, the striped headstander (in a very red colour...)

7. Barbodes lateristiga, T-barb

8. Pterapogon kauderni Banggai Cardinalfish or Sphaeramia nematoptera Pyjama Cardinalfish (or something related--there are a lot of cardinal fish!)

9. Most likely a pike cichlid, possible Crenicichla lenticulata with a really strange paint job

10. African cichlid of some kind. Maybe Melanochromis loriae

11. Austrolebias nigripinnis (formerly Cynolebias nigripinnis)

12. Prior calls this a Balantiocheilos melanopterus but there is no way. It's not a dolphin, it's not a shark...it still looks most like an ichthyosaur...but even then...

Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Help with these Prior (and other) fish   10 - Help with these Prior (and other) fish EmptyWed 28 Feb 2018, 16:13

Thank you :)

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help with these Prior (and other) fish   10 - Help with these Prior (and other) fish Empty

Back to top Go down

Help with these Prior (and other) fish
Page 1 of 1