Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The badger from Papo 2016 .....

Go down 
+9
NightLioness
Bloodrayne
widukind
Saarlooswolfhound
sbell
costicuba
Roger
Bonobo
SUSANNE
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

The badger from Papo 2016 ..... Empty
PostSubject: The badger from Papo 2016 .....   The badger from Papo 2016 ..... EmptyTue Apr 12, 2016 10:19 am

There is a saying that no trees grow into heaven, - and wonderful Papo does not get it right every time  Rolling Eyes
I had SO much looked forward to the new Papobadger, - but I was sadly disapointed when at last I got one  Crying or Very sad

The body is ok, but the head,  The European badger has a long nose, and this one is ...
Or perhaps it is just the paintwork ? I am no artist and can not really imagine what he would look like with the right stripes in his face - I don't know what he looks like  scratch

Well , let's not cry  ! When searching for pictures of a badger's face, I found this completely incredible photo , which certainly put the smile back on MY face  cheers
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I won't write more comments, but look very much forward to see what y'all think Very Happy

sunny alien alien alien alien alien alien sunny

Bonobo

Bonobo

Country/State : Deutschland/Germany (NRW)

PostSubject: Re: The badger from Papo 2016 .....   The badger from Papo 2016 ..... EmptyTue Apr 12, 2016 10:36 am

I would say a VERY interesting interpretation of a badger Laughing

I had it already in my hands and I just thought: Aren't some companies ashamed of some of their figures? Rolling Eyes

Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: The badger from Papo 2016 .....   The badger from Papo 2016 ..... EmptyTue Apr 12, 2016 10:59 am

Yes, Papo is made by humans so it is not perfect defintively. Also, our expectations are so high that when something is not as we expect, it looks even worse than it is.
The eye and black mask are not correct, I believe a narrower and longer facial patch could make the head look longer but I think the sculpt is also not correct.
Contrarily to what is usual, Schleich did it much better with their recently retired badger that is still my favorite of all companies. Papo is doing a lot of good things so I think everyone will forgive it. Thanks for another great walk around, Susanne! flower

Bonobo

Country/State : Deutschland/Germany (NRW)

PostSubject: Re: The badger from Papo 2016 .....   The badger from Papo 2016 ..... EmptyTue Apr 12, 2016 11:23 am

Roger wrote:
Papo is doing a lot of good things so I think everyone will forgive it.
That's a good point!

And if you don't like this badger there are many alternatives Smile

costicuba

Country/State : Bulgaria

PostSubject: Re: The badger from Papo 2016 .....   The badger from Papo 2016 ..... EmptyTue Apr 12, 2016 12:49 pm

Yes,
when I saw this model from the catalogue photo, I said to my self, ok, this will be my first Badger model for my collection....
But, when I went to the bulgarian shop for Papo models, I was also disapointed of the real model...
and I didn`t buy it.
The sculpture is not so good + the paintwork is very poor...and this makes the model to look nothing special, comparing to the other, great Papo models.
And ofcourse, Roger is absoutely right especially with this :

Roger wrote:
Also, our expectations are so high that when something is not as we expect, it looks even worse than it is.
flower

Actually, I have to say, that now, from your great photos Susanne, I like more the model, from this what I saw on real :)
Becouse we can see the details, more clear, when the model is bigger ...and one good point is again, the well made it texture of the fur...
something, that I always like in Papo models :)

Thank you for this walkaround Very Happy

sbell

Country/State : Canada

PostSubject: Re: The badger from Papo 2016 .....   The badger from Papo 2016 ..... EmptyTue Apr 12, 2016 12:52 pm

This reminds me of Paposaurs--great detail and sculpt work, but such a terrible miss on actually looking correct.

That head almost looks civet-like. It's too bad that they didn't just go that way (lots of badger figures, not enough civet figures).

Unless they couldn't decide between ferret badger and European badger? There's no way that could be an American badger.

I'm also a big freshwater fish-figure fan. Know of anything new and exciting? I need to know as well!
Back to top Go down
http://faunafigures.com/
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: The badger from Papo 2016 .....   The badger from Papo 2016 ..... EmptyTue Apr 12, 2016 1:22 pm

Its unfortunate that the model has such a small head, it makes you wonder why? Some of their models have had this problem (old puma comes to mind) but that is pretty drastic. However, I do agree with Roger, there has to be one or two models that are flops when there are so many other good models they provided for the year. Smile

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: The badger from Papo 2016 .....   The badger from Papo 2016 ..... EmptyTue Apr 12, 2016 7:22 pm

A nice bagder :)

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Bloodrayne

Bloodrayne

Country/State : Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: The badger from Papo 2016 .....   The badger from Papo 2016 ..... EmptyTue Apr 12, 2016 7:57 pm

Wow! What happened?
I would almost say that Papo made a wolverine, but painted it as a badger...
At least it has a cute smile. Smile

Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: The badger from Papo 2016 .....   The badger from Papo 2016 ..... EmptyTue Apr 12, 2016 8:25 pm

Great to read your comments, - yes, Papo is so great that we may judge this model a bit too hard Very Happy

SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: The badger from Papo 2016 .....   The badger from Papo 2016 ..... EmptyTue Apr 12, 2016 8:26 pm

Bloodrayne wrote:
Wow! What happened?
I would almost say that Papo made a wolverine, but painted it as a badger...
At least it has a cute smile. Smile

cheers cheers cheers

Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: The badger from Papo 2016 .....   The badger from Papo 2016 ..... EmptyWed Apr 13, 2016 12:33 am

Bonobo wrote:
Roger wrote:
That's a good point!

Well, not that I don't like. Actually I like it, I only expected it was better. Also, I have a weird collecting rule for modern companies, one figure per species is enough, the problem are exceptions. Laughing

Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: The badger from Papo 2016 .....   The badger from Papo 2016 ..... EmptyWed Apr 13, 2016 1:05 am

Lovely flock Very Happy

NightLioness
NightLioness

Country/State : The Netherlands, Friesland.

PostSubject: Re: The badger from Papo 2016 .....   The badger from Papo 2016 ..... EmptyWed Apr 13, 2016 1:28 am

Eeeh, so no Papobadger for my collection then.
Shame, as it looked nice in the booklet. (Same with the Texas Longhorn bull o.0)

Haha, that cat in the photos is probably thinking: weird cats?!

Roger, what is the first badgers brand?

Bloodrayne

PostSubject: Re: The badger from Papo 2016 .....   The badger from Papo 2016 ..... EmptyWed Apr 13, 2016 1:35 am

NightLioness wrote:
Eeeh, so no Papobadger for my collection then.
Shame, as it looked nice in the booklet. (Same with the Texas Longhorn bull o.0)

Haha, that cat in the photos is probably thinking: weird cats?!

LOL never noticed the cat until you mentioned it.
And Roger says: "The first badger is from CollectA."

sbell

PostSubject: Re: The badger from Papo 2016 .....   The badger from Papo 2016 ..... EmptyWed Apr 13, 2016 1:45 am

Roger wrote:
Bonobo wrote:
Roger wrote:
That's a good point!

Well, not that I don't like. Actually I like it, I only expected it was better. Also, I have a weird collecting rule for modern companies, one figure per species is enough, the problem are exceptions. Laughing

I'm thinking, in order:

CollectA, Bullyland first Schleich, Schleich, Mojo.

I think I had or have all of them!

I'm also a big freshwater fish-figure fan. Know of anything new and exciting? I need to know as well!
Back to top Go down
NightLioness
NightLioness

Country/State : The Netherlands, Friesland.

PostSubject: Re: The badger from Papo 2016 .....   The badger from Papo 2016 ..... EmptyWed Apr 13, 2016 1:53 am

Thank you both Very Happy

Haha Laughing

And apparently, badgers summon together at a full moon Shocked Laughing

Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: The badger from Papo 2016 .....   The badger from Papo 2016 ..... EmptyWed Apr 13, 2016 3:43 am

SUSANNE wrote:
Lovely flock Very Happy

Thanks Susanne, nothing compared with yours. cat Laughing

NightLioness wrote:

sbell wrote:

I'm thinking, in order:
CollectA, Bullyland, Schleich, Mojo.

I use to identify what is in my pics but this time I failed. pale Thanks Simone.
Sean, you almost guessed, only the one you called Bullyland is the old Schleich instead.

PostSubject: Re: The badger from Papo 2016 .....   The badger from Papo 2016 ..... EmptyWed Apr 13, 2016 3:50 am

A quick Photoshop adjustment, longer body, smaller feet and changed head and markings.
The head is very inaccurate, way too short and completely the wrong shape as you can see.

I always wonder how errors like this get approved for production.  It is not just the sculptor who makes the error but it goes through different levels of management in order to be approved and manufactured, several people or more giving input.  Just a quick look at a photo of the real animal shows how off the proportions are, not a very educational product when it looks nothing like the real thing.

Back to top Go down
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/redelephant
sbell

sbell

PostSubject: Re: The badger from Papo 2016 .....   The badger from Papo 2016 ..... EmptyWed Apr 13, 2016 4:36 am

Roger wrote:
SUSANNE wrote:
Lovely flock Very Happy

Thanks Susanne, nothing compared with yours. cat Laughing

NightLioness wrote:

sbell wrote:

I'm thinking, in order:
CollectA, Bullyland, Schleich, Mojo.

I use to identify what is in my pics but this time I failed. pale Thanks Simone.
Sean, you almost guessed, only the one you called Bullyland is the old Schleich instead.

It looks so close to the Bully:

Unless I have them mixed up in my database (this one is labelled Shleich):

[quote="elephas_maximus"]A quick Photoshop adjustment, longer body, smaller feet and changed head and markings.
The head is very inaccurate, way too short and completely the wrong shape as you can see.

I always wonder how errors like this get approved for production. It is not just the sculptor who makes the error but it goes through different levels of management in order to be approved and manufactured, several people or more giving input. Just a quick look at a photo of the real animal shows how off the proportions are, not a very educational product when it looks nothing like the real thing.

Also, in that photoshop the seam between head and shoulder in the Papo is really obvious--maybe something went wrong in molding?

Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: The badger from Papo 2016 .....   The badger from Papo 2016 ..... EmptyWed Apr 13, 2016 6:00 am

sbell wrote:

The badger in your first picture is the Schleich version from 1993 and the 2nd is the Bullyland from 1997, Bully has a newer version and also an older version. You can see them here :)

Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: The badger from Papo 2016 .....   The badger from Papo 2016 ..... EmptyWed Apr 13, 2016 8:52 am

elephas_maximus wrote:
I always wonder how errors like this get approved for production.  It is not just the sculptor who makes the error but it goes through different levels of management in order to be approved and manufactured, several people or more giving input.  Just a quick look at a photo of the real animal shows how off the proportions are, not a very educational product when it looks nothing like the real thing.

FABULOUS, EM cheers cheers Applause cheers

That way it is a magnificent badger bounce Very Happy

sbell

sbell

PostSubject: Re: The badger from Papo 2016 .....   The badger from Papo 2016 ..... EmptyWed Apr 13, 2016 9:03 am

Roger wrote:
sbell wrote:

The badger in your first picture is the Schleich version from 1993 and the 2nd is the Bullyland from 1997, Bully has a newer version and also an older version. You can see them here :)

I wondered as I put those up--I must have swapped the links in my database.

Back to top Go down
Bloodrayne

Bloodrayne

PostSubject: Re: The badger from Papo 2016 .....   The badger from Papo 2016 ..... EmptyWed Apr 13, 2016 9:20 am

elephas_maximus wrote:
A quick Photoshop adjustment, longer body, smaller feet and changed head and markings.

And on top of all that, I also think the colour of the coat is wrong and could use a bit (lot!) more grey.
Thank you for the Photoshop elephas.
I think I have to agree with sbell. Something went very wrong at the factory.
Half of the poor badger's face is gone! Shocked
Awww, poor thing.
He's like the Joker after Batman threw him into this vat of acid.... all he got left was his smile.What a Face

Iuri97

PostSubject: Re: The badger from Papo 2016 .....   The badger from Papo 2016 ..... EmptyFri Apr 15, 2016 3:01 am

Well, I DO like it, but yes, I must agree that Papo has done better before. It kind of reminds me of their lynx and their spotted hyena... both of those animals were done better by Mojo in my opinion. Still, it´s not a bad figure at all.

Also, Roger´s lovely badger army for some reason reminded me of that good video whose song never leaves your head: "It´s a badger, badger, badger!" Very Happy

Ahrk fin norok paal graan
fod nust hon zindro zaan
Dovahkiin, fah hin kogaan mu draal!"
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The badger from Papo 2016 .....   The badger from Papo 2016 ..... Empty

Back to top Go down

The badger from Papo 2016 .....
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next