Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Jaguar figurines

Go down 
+13
baltimore zoo
Palustris
bjarki12
Ana
arafan
Shanti
75senta75
SUSANNE
Mgarat
elephas_maximus
Roger
widukind
Tarunyada
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Palustris

Palustris

Country/State : Canada

Jaguar figurines - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jaguar figurines   Jaguar figurines - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 04, 2016 12:59 am

Obrigado Bryan! I appreciate the warm welcome. Everyone on this forum have been sincerely nice and friendly.

I see you are from Brazil. Very nice! It is a dream of mine to go to the Brazilian Pantanal some day and see my "brothers". I have been fascinated with jaguars since I was about 5 years old. I just fell in love with them, particularly the Pantanal Jaguar.

I have friends from Brazil. I have trained with Renzo, Royce, Rickson and Royler Gracie and also Jean-Jacques Machado. Great guys originally from Rio, but now live in the States. I also know Tony de Almieda's son Sergio. Tony was actually a big hunter of Pantanal Jaguars back in the 70's. Although I am against hunting jaguars I learned a lot from them with regards to this big cats habits, size, etc.... They no longer hunt because it is illegal in Brazil, however, we all now it still goes on.

I have done an African Safari back in 1993, but one day I hope to do a safari in the Pantanal.

Yes, I to hope to be able to get a copy of the "jaguar vs caiman" and the one you are refering to. Both are incredible. That is my goal! It looks like I have my work cut out for me. lol  A couple of people have given me leads to the artist who apparently is in China, but so far I have had no luck. My Tweet has gone unanswered. I will have to try Facebook. I'm always hoping someone on E-Bay will sell one. I have hundreds of purchases off of E-Bay and so I check everyday since last year for that one.
Back to top Go down
elephas_maximus

PostSubject: Re: Jaguar figurines   Jaguar figurines - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 04, 2016 5:30 am

Another jaguar figure from a Chinese sculptor.  I'm not sure if the pricing is correct because there is also a huge mammoth model for USD $105 but the small jaguar is $1500.  A number of figures are this same high price which makes me think that it might be an error.  Best to contact the seller for clarification if interested.

Shop link
https://shop60959032.world.taobao.com/

Facebook page-probably easier to contact the sculptor through here:

https://www.facebook.com/%E5%A4%A7%E9%A3%9EGK-919841321398199/?fref=photo

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/redelephant
Palustris

Palustris

PostSubject: Re: Jaguar figurines   Jaguar figurines - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 04, 2016 1:38 pm

Thanks e/m, much appreciated. I like that model. I went to the site and the price for that one is..$1966.91! Wow! lol A beautiful piece though.

That site as amazing resin models! Look at these:

Great model of a Bengal Tiger battling a Gaur.

Siberian Tiger. You see it hear compared to the Papo Tiger on the left.

A leaping Bengal Tiger fashioned after the largest Bengal tiger shot in Uttar Pradesh in 1967 that weighted 857 lbs

A beautiful Caspian Tiger!

A prehistoric Elk! Love it!

An Asian Elephant.

I would buy all of these if I could, but the prices are steep. They all average $1900.00 CAN and some more.

I see now why that jaguar vs caiman piece was made in China. They make remarkable animal replicas.
Back to top Go down
Ana

Ana

Country/State : Utrecht/NL

PostSubject: Re: Jaguar figurines   Jaguar figurines - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 04, 2016 2:40 pm

Welcome to STS forum, Palustris! Nice to meet you and nice to read about your great love for jaguars Very Happy

I think this is a very interesting topic! Incredible models indeed, all those tigers, the jaguar on the tree and the jaguar fighting caiman, incredible, amazing Applause Applause Applause

I hope you will find really great jaguar models to your collection Very Happy Will you share photos of what you already have? Smile

Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
Palustris

Palustris

PostSubject: Re: Jaguar figurines   Jaguar figurines - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 04, 2016 4:34 pm

Cześć Ana,

Thanks for the warm welcome! I'm glad you like my love and enthusiasm for the jaguar.  Very Happy  

Everyone has been so friendly and helpful with many leads and suggestions. I'm able to expand on figures that I didn't know existed until some of you sent me the links. I thank all of you for that.

Yes, I am confident that eventually this forum will lead me to me ultimate goal......the jaguar vs caiman model! How can I miss with such a helpful group of friends?!

I will eventually post some of my collection. I have to first take the photos and post them. I'm very LOW tech, so please bare with me. But, my collection is NOTHING compared to some of yours. Yvette has a MASSIVE collection! Amazing! I'm sure a lot of you have the same. Mine is relatively small because I went after specific animals, most notably the jaguar.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Jaguar figurines   Jaguar figurines - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 05, 2016 2:01 am

Onil, I am really enjoying a lot your posts about the mighty Pantanal jaguar! Very Happy
Your passion and tenacity will surely guide you to the wanted fighting piece as long as it is still available.
Our community is composed of people with several kinds of collections around the animal tehmatic. Some have huge collections, like Yvette, Susanne, Fernando, etc. Some others have smaller collections. Nobody is categorized according with the size of the collection so, every collector should feel confortable here even if his collection is composed of a small number of pieces. I am sure your collection is very interesting once it is about several collectibles around the same subject. Coins, stamps, postcards, are other common objects featuring jaguars, for instance. Very Happy

Palustris

PostSubject: Re: Jaguar figurines   Jaguar figurines - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 05, 2016 2:13 am

Thanks for that kind post Roger.

I hope that I do not go on too much about the characteristics of big cats, especially the jaguar. I know this is not a "big cat" forum and that it is dedicated to animal figures and replicas. I just thought it was significant to point out that one of the important factors in a good figure or replica is trying to capture the essence of that animal. By that I mean special characteristics that makes that particular animal so special and is the reason we are so fond of them. If an artist can capture that then they truly are an ARTIST! However, I also understand that many years ago we did not have the technical knowhow to produce such well detailed replicas/figures, so some of the old animal figures/toys are still very important and valuable, if only by sentimentality. I am many old animal figures that are not very accurate representations of the real animal, but I love them nonetheless because of the sentiment and the reminder of my childhood and how much joy they gave to me.

I will try to stick to talking about replicas and figures and less about "lessons in big cat biology and anatomy". lol

Yes, I didn't mean to insinuate that people such as myself with small collections are less valuable. I am a low tech person, so I just have to take some nice close photos and transfer them to my computer and ultimately this forum. I will do it because i would like to post some of my favourites for all to see.

All the best
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Jaguar figurines   Jaguar figurines - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 05, 2016 2:27 am

Onil, I know there wasn't any kind of insinuation in your comment, I only wanted to make you feel confortable on forum. Very Happy However, I think that there is no problem that you give your knowledgeable considerations about big cats, it is a very popular thematic in this forum. These judgements are often very valuable on walk around topics where we discuss the quality of the rendition of a certain model. You can find topics about jaguar in this link. I doesn't matter how old is the topic, it is always open for a good discussion or observation. Feel free to give your imput about the most popular jaguar toys or to check the repainting works of the great Artists of our forum.
Tech questions, you can always contact me or any other moderator and we will help you with whatever you need. Very Happy

Ana

Country/State : Utrecht/NL

PostSubject: Re: Jaguar figurines   Jaguar figurines - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 05, 2016 7:08 pm

Palustris wrote:
Cześć Ana,

Thanks for the warm welcome! I'm glad you like my love and enthusiasm for the jaguar.  Very Happy  

Everyone has been so friendly and helpful with many leads and suggestions. I'm able to expand on figures that I didn't know existed until some of you sent me the links. I thank all of you for that.

Yes, I am confident that eventually this forum will lead me to me ultimate goal......the jaguar vs caiman model! How can I miss with such a helpful group of friends?!

I will eventually post some of my collection. I have to first take the photos and post them. I'm very LOW tech, so please bare with me. But, my collection is NOTHING compared to some of yours. Yvette has a MASSIVE collection! Amazing! I'm sure a lot of you have the same. Mine is relatively small because I went after specific animals, most notably the jaguar.

Cześć, haha sunny  I'm glad to read you are enjoying our community. Very Happy

Actually, we will be happy to read also more info about jaguars if you like to share. Very Happy The anatomy and biology of jaguars is surely interesting subject to read about, for many of us. And perhaps, for those of us who create models of animals, it can be helpful in case of sculpting model of a jaguar in future.

About collections, every collection is different and it's so nice to see! And it is not important is it big or small. Very Happy

Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
Palustris

Palustris

PostSubject: Re: Jaguar figurines   Jaguar figurines - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 05, 2016 10:59 pm

Hi Roger and Anna,

Thanks for that reply Roger. I knew you were being kind when you said that. I thank you for that. I didn't think otherwise. Very Happy

I'll keep the discussions about the anatomy of the animals relative to the replica/figures. I think that would be fun and also adds value to the the artists work. Anna is right, perhaps this will also help people when they are creating new replicas.

I remember even as a small child when my mother bought me a new big cat figure. I was always very excited and happy...but, I remember thinking, "that doesn't look like a jaguar" or "that doesn't look like a tiger". I took only 40 years for very detailed, beautiful replicas by Schleich, Papo, CollectA, Mojo, Safari Ltd, etc.. to make its appearance!! lol Now as an adult I find just as much joy in such fine replicas that I HAVE to buy them and I keep thinking to myself....."Man I would have freaked out if they had these when I was a child!"

I will definitely post my entire collection on this forum. Let me photograph them and I'll post them. I will show both old (from childhood) and new. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Palustris

Palustris

PostSubject: Re: Jaguar figurines   Jaguar figurines - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 05, 2016 11:14 pm

I have a question for all of you. The photo I chose for this forum is a photo of "Mick Jaguar". He is the famous one-eyed jaguar that the tourists loved to photograph. As a matter of fact, a woman by the name of Leigh Lofgren. She is a photographer and she took beautiful photos of Mick when she toured the Pantanal. She actually created a photo book which I bought online from her. Since then we have become good friends and discuss often. Anyway, he is an amazing speciman of a Pantanal Jaguar so I used the photo on this forum. It's a great close up of Mick! And my name "Palustris"come from panthera onca palustris the scientific name for the Pantanal Jaguar......as you probably all already guessed.

I see some interesting photos on this forum. Some are real animals and some are animal figures. Are these favourite animals and animal figures of you all?? For instance, Anna is that your favourite animal figure - Palomino Horse?

I'm just curious as to everyone's choice of photos.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Jaguar figurines   Jaguar figurines - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 06, 2016 1:55 am

Palustris wrote:
I have a question for all of you. The photo I chose for this forum is a photo of "Mick Jaguar". He is the famous one-eyed jaguar that the tourists loved to photograph. As a matter of fact, a woman by the name of Leigh Lofgren. She is a photographer and she took beautiful photos of Mick when she toured the Pantanal. She actually created a photo book which I bought online from her. Since then we have become good friends and discuss often. Anyway, he is an amazing speciman of a Pantanal Jaguar so I used the photo on this forum. It's a great close up of Mick! And my name "Palustris"come from panthera onca palustris the scientific name for the Pantanal Jaguar......as you probably all already guessed.

I see some interesting photos on this forum. Some are real animals and some are animal figures. Are these favourite animals and animal figures of you all?? For instance, Anna is that your favourite animal figure - Palomino Horse?

I'm just curious as to everyone's choice of photos.

There is a topic where each member explains the reason of the avatar choice. Some members already changed their avatar and it may be outdated but that is again an open topic and discussion can be reactivated at any time.
Take a look here! Very Happy

Palustris

PostSubject: Re: Jaguar figurines   Jaguar figurines - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 06, 2016 3:18 am

Nice! I never saw that. I guess I should navigate around this forum and acquaint myself more with the various topics. lol

Some nice stories and some funny stories. A couple of comments made me laugh!
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Jaguar figurines   Jaguar figurines - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 07, 2016 2:34 am

We are a 5 years old forum with thousands of topics. I believe you'll find lots of interesting topics on forum. Just drink it as much as you can and please share your taste with us and turn in a part of STS adventure. Very Happy

Palustris

PostSubject: Re: Jaguar figurines   Jaguar figurines - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 07, 2016 2:50 am

Hey Roger, I just checked out your fox collection. Very impressive! I think they are beautiful animals too. Why did you choose to collect foxes and what is your connection with them?
Back to top Go down
Shanti

Shanti

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Jaguar figurines   Jaguar figurines - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 07, 2016 3:13 pm

Fabulous models!!! Love those tigers, but the others are awesome as well!
Back to top Go down
Palustris

Palustris

PostSubject: Re: Jaguar figurines   Jaguar figurines - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 07, 2016 4:56 pm

Hallo Shanti! Ja, das denk ich auch. lol

(Hello Shanti! Yes, that's what I think too.)

Viele Grusse aus Kanada nach Deutschland!

(Greetings from Canada to Germany!)

Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Jaguar figurines   Jaguar figurines - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 09, 2016 2:52 am

Palustris wrote:
Hey Roger, I just checked out your fox collection. Very impressive! I think they are beautiful animals too. Why did you choose to collect foxes and what is your connection with them?

Thanks for watching it and for your words. Actually I don't have a special connection with foxes, I love them very much but just as much as many other creatures in this Planet. It was just what I think to be a sensate collecting decision. I am a big cats man, lions, tigers, jaguars, cheetahs, were the animal figures that brought me to this hobby. My favorite animals, however, are formicivores like giant anteaters, pangolins, etc. Being a curious about toy animal companies I decided to collect a reasonably common animal that could allow me to experience in my hands figures from different materials, sizes, designs, companies, etc. Lion toys are incredibly common and often not pleasant looking, too many to collect. Foxes are less common but enough to have a representative across the majority of the companies. They're not very large figures and foxes look always great even when terribly replicated. Laughing I am seriously considering to collect also formicivores, I never could guess they were so many when I started with foxes. Honestly I already have a good number of them but I wish to expand it, actually. As you see, my collection is not as sentimentally linked to the real animal as yours but it is a huge tribute that STS community is paying to me once most are gifts from several members around the world. Very Happy

Palustris

PostSubject: Re: Jaguar figurines   Jaguar figurines - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 09, 2016 5:07 am

That's very interesting Roger. Looks like you put a lot of thought into your hobby...or should I say passion.

I'm very much like yourself. I truly love all wildlife, but I have to admit I do have my favourites. As you already know, Jaguars are my passion, but tigers (actually all the big cats), wolverines, anacondas, polar bears, orcas are a very close second. I actually have a wide range of animal replicas/figures. My favourite are Papo, CollectA and Safari Ltd. at the moment. I love the detail, especially the faces and eyes. I really like the bovines such as the Gaur, Water buffalo, Bison, African Buffalo, Yak, Auroch and Wissent. I also love the Apes and so I just started to collect them. My first is a Bili Ape, but I have a Gorilla and Orang picked out. I have all the wolverines on the market....I think... and hope that they come up with more. Many tigers and big cats because they too are my favourites since I was a small child. I'm really into the angulates too, like the Water Buck, Nilgai, Oryx, Sable antelope, Red deer, etc...I would like to start to collect them also.

So, as you can see, my list goes much further than jaguars, but...they are my number one. So far my favourite is the new Schleich jaguar, but I'm still waiting for one of the companies out there to make the ultimate jaguar. That is why I actually got onto this forum. I saw that jaguar vs caiman replica and just had to have one. I'm having trouble tracking the designer down in China, but I'm going to keep trying. I'm also hoping some day someone on E-Bay might post one for sale. I make a lot of purchases off of E-Bay.

Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Jaguar figurines   Jaguar figurines - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 17, 2016 1:14 am

Palustris wrote:
That's very interesting Roger. Looks like you put a lot of thought into your hobby...or should I say passion.

I'm very much like yourself. I truly love all wildlife, but I have to admit I do have my favourites. As you already know, Jaguars are my passion, but tigers (actually all the big cats), wolverines, anacondas, polar bears, orcas are a very close second. I actually have a wide range of animal replicas/figures. My favourite are Papo, CollectA and Safari Ltd. at the moment. I love the detail, especially the faces and eyes. I really like the bovines such as the Gaur, Water buffalo, Bison, African Buffalo, Yak, Auroch and Wissent. I also love the Apes and so I just started to collect them. My first is a Bili Ape, but I have a Gorilla and Orang picked out. I have all the wolverines on the market....I think... and hope that they come up with more. Many tigers and big cats because they too are my favourites since I was a small child. I'm really into the angulates too, like the Water Buck, Nilgai, Oryx, Sable antelope, Red deer, etc...I would like to start to collect them also.

So, as you can see, my list goes much further than jaguars, but...they are my number one. So far my favourite is the new Schleich jaguar, but I'm still waiting for one of the companies out there to make the ultimate jaguar. That is why I actually got onto this forum. I saw that jaguar vs caiman replica and just had to have one. I'm having trouble tracking the designer down in China, but I'm going to keep trying. I'm also hoping some day someone on E-Bay might post one for sale. I make a lot of purchases off of E-Bay.

Vey interesting, you have a huge world of figures to explore and it is good that your interests are expanding. Very Happy
It is curious that your favorite jaguar is the newer Schleich, I use it in my collection, although everyone is praising the new Safari that seems to be a really good figure too! Very Happy

Palustris

PostSubject: Re: Jaguar figurines   Jaguar figurines - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 17, 2016 4:42 pm

The new Safari Ltd. jaguar is nice. I have both the black and common jaguar in that make. But, the problem with the Safari jaguar is that it is too "narrow" for a jaguar. It's body is too narrow and thin to be a jaguar. As I described before, the jaguar is a stocky, powerful cat with a barrel-like body, thick short limbs with large paws and a wide, big head. As much as I see some small flaws with the new Schleich jaguar, this jaguar captures more of those features. Put them side by side and you''ll see the difference.

I still think the Safari jaguar is nice, but it just lacks too many of the jaguars physical features that makes me love this great cat.

I know I posted this photo before, but this re-paint of the new scheich jaguar is fantastic! I would LOVE these two. Perfect jaguars!

So, until a better jaguar comes on the market, my favourite is the new Scheich jaguar. I was hoping CollectA would step up with a real nice one, but I'm still waiting...... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Jaguar figurines   Jaguar figurines - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 19, 2016 2:03 am

Very interesting comment! There is also the Papo jaguar that we think looks more like a leopard. The figure is wonderful as all Papo big cats but I believe you also agree it is not morphologically correct for a jaguar. Very Happy
CollectA will soon or later itnroduce a jaguar in their range. The company is very strong releasing unusual species often with a high level of quality although they're not yet excellent with feline figures.

Palustris

PostSubject: Re: Jaguar figurines   Jaguar figurines - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 19, 2016 2:18 am

Funny you should say that Roger. I thought the exact same thing. At present, CollectA is my favourite make for replica animals. The Angulates and Bovines are fantastic! The detail of the eyes and face are extraordinary. However, like you just said, the felines are not very good...in my opinion. I much prefer Schleich in the felines.

Yes, I agree, the Papo jaguar has more leopard-like features. It is too lithe, the head too small and the tail too long. All traits of a leopard and not of the jaguar.

But, I'm optimistic and like you I think CollectA will produce nice felines in the near future. If they start producing felines in the same quality as their Angulates and Bovines.......WOW!! I'll be standing in line at the stores. Laughing

Last edited by Palustris on Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Jaguar figurines   Jaguar figurines - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 19, 2016 6:20 pm

Wow, Applause Applause

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
bjarki12

bjarki12

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Jaguar figurines   Jaguar figurines - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 20, 2016 12:10 am

Thanks for sharing so much about jaguars and jaguar models with us. Also, thanks for posting those pictures of really exceptional big cat sculptures. Glad to have you with us!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jaguar figurines   Jaguar figurines - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Jaguar figurines
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next