Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Walkaround: Brown Dog Tick [pair] (Merial)

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

Walkaround: Brown Dog Tick [pair] (Merial) Empty
PostSubject: Walkaround: Brown Dog Tick [pair] (Merial)   Walkaround: Brown Dog Tick [pair] (Merial) EmptySun Aug 20, 2017 8:54 pm

Walk-arounds of the male and engorged female of the brown dog tick, Rhipicephalus sanguineus (Latreille, 1806) by Merial. These figures were produced in conjunction with veterinary supplies and are not made by a major toy/model/figure company.

The brown dog tick is nearly cosmopolitan, where it lives as an ectoparasite primarily of dogs. They are vectors of many pathogens of dogs, but are not efficient vectors of disease in humans (although they have been implicated in outbreaks and clusters of spotted fever rickettsiosis).

The figures are LARGE. I was stunned to see how big there are, but kinda pleasantly so :). The male is 65 mm, making it 16:1 for a 4 mm adult male. The female is 133 mm, making it approximately 9:1 for a large, well-engorged female. The figures are nice, but not as good as the 3B Scientific Ixodes ricinus. The mouthparts are short and festoons are present (not visible in the engorged female, which is a realistic scenario) as they should be. The basis capituli (the part of the head to which the mouthparts attach) is not the correct shape for this species, but not a biggie. The male has eyes, but in an odd place, and the female for some reason lacks eyes. Both figures have spiracular plates and an anus.

I dropped a lot of $$ on these (after losing them previously on my first bid attempt); I was not going to let them get away from me again  C:-).

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by bmathison1972 on Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Walkaround: Brown Dog Tick [pair] (Merial)   Walkaround: Brown Dog Tick [pair] (Merial) EmptySun Aug 20, 2017 9:40 pm

These models are really impressive Blaine, but not as much as your knowledge!
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Walkaround: Brown Dog Tick [pair] (Merial)   Walkaround: Brown Dog Tick [pair] (Merial) EmptyMon Aug 21, 2017 6:31 pm

cheers cheers cheers cheers

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Walkaround: Brown Dog Tick [pair] (Merial)   Walkaround: Brown Dog Tick [pair] (Merial) Empty

Back to top Go down

Walkaround: Brown Dog Tick [pair] (Merial)
Page 1 of 1