Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Red Wood Ant (Heller)

Go down 
+3
Roger
widukind
bmathison1972
7 posters
AuthorMessage
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

Red Wood Ant (Heller) Empty
PostSubject: Red Wood Ant (Heller)   Red Wood Ant (Heller) EmptySun Sep 24, 2017 4:29 pm

Walkaround of the red wood ant, Formica rufa Linnaeus, 1761, No. 79400 by the French company Heller (2000). This is the fourth and final insect figure in their set of four. It was the one I was most excited to get, and finally did! While ant figures are commonly made in 'chinabug' bin sets, having figures marketed at the species level is actually quite rare considering. This species is the classic 'red ant' of Europe. This species, as presently delineated, does not occur in North America, but there are about 25 species in the rufa-complex that do.

On ATF and STS you can see other walkarounds of the Coccinella septempunctata and Oryctes nasicornis. Sometimes the four figures (there is a Lucanus cervus as well that I did not do a walkaround for) are marketed together as 'Forest Monsters' collection.

Like all Heller model kits, assembly is required. This model comes in 13 pieces (top, bottom, mandibles, 2 eyes, 2 antennae, 6 legs) in a matte black. I first assembled the body and mandibles and painted the body with a red-brown-yellow mix (in the final product it dried a little more brown than I would have liked, but I am still happy with it). I then added the antennae (painted first) and legs, sealing everything with superglue. They recommended painting the black parts black, but the base color is adequate to I left it as is. As usual, I coated the final product with a satin varnish.

The final figure is 110 mm long, making it roughly 16:1 for an average-sized worker (normal legnth 4.5-9.0 mm).

On to the pics:

Red Wood Ant (Heller) 20170923_102053

Red Wood Ant (Heller) 20170923_102113

Red Wood Ant (Heller) 20170923_102141

Red Wood Ant (Heller) 20170923_105235

Red Wood Ant (Heller) 20170923_113824

Red Wood Ant (Heller) 20170923_151006

Red Wood Ant (Heller) 20170923_152821

And the final product:

Red Wood Ant (Heller) 20170924_072251

Red Wood Ant (Heller) 20170924_072332

And with the entire 'Forest Monsters' collection:

Red Wood Ant (Heller) 20170924_072446
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Red Wood Ant (Heller)   Red Wood Ant (Heller) EmptySun Sep 24, 2017 4:51 pm

Nice ant figurine :)

STS members can merge Very Happy

sunny Andreas sunny
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Red Wood Ant (Heller)   Red Wood Ant (Heller) EmptyMon Sep 25, 2017 12:52 am

You are completely right, finding a figure of an ant being marketed over the family level is almost a miracle. Most ant figures are quite generic and companies are clearly more interested in showing their casts or specialized members of a colony. A proof of it is that on TAI we still have all ants grouped in the same page. I have to check your topics to see which species of ants were already released to start dividing it in narrower taxa levels. Thanks for this walk around and you did a good job with the figure. Very Happy

Tarunyada

Country/State : The Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: Red Wood Ant (Heller)   Red Wood Ant (Heller) EmptyMon Sep 25, 2017 1:28 pm

This is great! How awesome you have this model kit still in box! Thanks for sharing, it's really nice Smile

Back to top Go down
http://tarunyada.weebly.com/
Bowhead Whale

Bowhead Whale

Country/State : Canada

PostSubject: Re: Red Wood Ant (Heller)   Red Wood Ant (Heller) EmptySat Oct 07, 2017 8:20 pm

Roger is right: ants are most often represented as generic ants. It is even the case when it comes to enthomology books. I have a research about insects at home, on which I work from time to time. Well, believe it or not, if specialized references on lepidopteres are abundant, very few informations are spread about the ants. So, I had to put only one page about ants, because I cannot even identify the exact species of the one dried specimen (picked up already dead, like all my insects), I have, even though it is in perfect condition. So, nothing is written yet on my ant page. However,all my lepidoptere spicimens are identified.
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Red Wood Ant (Heller)   Red Wood Ant (Heller) EmptySat Oct 07, 2017 10:45 pm

I love this model cheers

Such a great job you did, assembling and painting ! I could never do anything like that Laughing

Funny you show this this insect, which is very common everywhere here, but does not live in America.
This summer my cousin from Michigan was here, and when we took a walk in the forest, he was completely in awe over the huge anthills everywhere !
At long last something in Denmark, which is bigger than in USA cheers
Another strange coincidence - my cousin owns a compagny called Heller., like the Frencht one which made this model .. Laughing Laughing

Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Red Wood Ant (Heller)   Red Wood Ant (Heller) EmptySun Oct 08, 2017 4:28 am

Amazing model, Big but of course a species level ant model needs to be big... Or Kaiyodo. Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Red Wood Ant (Heller)   Red Wood Ant (Heller) Empty

Back to top Go down

Red Wood Ant (Heller)
Page 1 of 1