Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

review: Encyclopedia of Insects Vol. 3 (F-toys)

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

review: Encyclopedia of Insects Vol. 3 (F-toys) Empty
PostSubject: review: Encyclopedia of Insects Vol. 3 (F-toys)   review: Encyclopedia of Insects Vol. 3 (F-toys) EmptySat Dec 02, 2017 5:51 pm

Review of the set of Encyclopedia of Insects Vol. 3 by F-toys (2007). This is a set I was aware of online, seeing other collectors' posted collections. I did not think I would ever see it again. Beetle Guy alerted me to it on the Japanese Yahoo! auctions, and I was able to secure it with the help of Brett and Emiko! There are six basic figures, plus a 'secret' that is a color variant of the Lamprima adolphinae. Also, there was an opportunity to mail in the packaging and get three color variants of the female of L. adolphinae. Unfortunately, if my translation software is working correctly, that opportunity expired in 2009. I am curious what species were in the first two volumes...

None of my other F-toys beetle sets date back to 2007. They are really nice. They seem quite delicate (a leg actually broke off in transit, and they were secure within their original packaging!) and there is not the usual mobility of appendages as seen with F-toys current figures. The size variation within the set lead me to believe, and Beetle Guy confirmed, are all 1:1. Also, unlike current F-toys figures, they come with a collector's card with information on the critter. Measurements on the collector's cards confirmed they are all 1:1 as well.

Two of the species are relatively commonly made, the others are not, although none are unique. One or two might have been unique at the time of its original release. There is also more geographic variation seen here than more recent F-toys sets.

On to the figures, in numerical order on the packaging and cards:

1. Lamprima adolphinae.
Not including the color variant and three female options here, I have two other figures of this species. One by DeAgostini (World of Insects Data Book) and Sega (small series, standard).

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

2. Phalacrognathus muelleri.
This is another that is not commonly made. DeAgostini made a male and a female (secret) for the World of Insects Data Book collection. Other figures are by Cadbury (Yowies - Australian release), XX, and Colorata (Tropical Rain Forest Stag Beetles). If Sega made one, I do not have it yet.

3. Mesotopus tarandus
This is one of the more commonly-made species. I have 10 other figures by 3 manufacturers (OK, 7 of those are Sega variants!).

4. Cyclommatus metallifer
I have nine figures of this genus total, but they represent five species. I only have two others of this particular one, by DeAgostini (World of Insects Data Book) and 4D Master.

5. Allotopus rosenbergi.
This is the other commonly-made species. I have 12 other figures by six manufacturers (and seven are Sega variants).

6. Chrysochroa fulgidissima.
A buprestid is a welcome addition by a company that predominately makes scarabaeoids. I have two other figures of this species, by Yujin (Insects of Japan) and a small, boxed figure by an unknown Japanese manufacturer. There are also two additional species in figure form.

7. SECRET: Lamprima adolphinae (blue variant)
This is merely a color variant of number 1, above (although the head does angle in a different direction).

The complete set, showing size variations (and before I fixed the M. tarandus leg):

Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: review: Encyclopedia of Insects Vol. 3 (F-toys)   review: Encyclopedia of Insects Vol. 3 (F-toys) EmptySun Dec 03, 2017 2:34 am

So very detailed figurines!

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: review: Encyclopedia of Insects Vol. 3 (F-toys)   review: Encyclopedia of Insects Vol. 3 (F-toys) EmptyMon Dec 04, 2017 3:18 pm

Very interesting set with very decent figures! I find particularly beautiful the secret one. Very Happy I added them on TAI, it was not easy at all once F-toys was not yet entered and some species pages were missing. Though, you can find your pictures here!
I am not sure Furuta and F-toys are completely distinct. I suspect the F derives from Furuta, the name of the president of the company. They are also related with confectionery. scratch

PostSubject: Re: review: Encyclopedia of Insects Vol. 3 (F-toys)   review: Encyclopedia of Insects Vol. 3 (F-toys) Empty

Back to top Go down

review: Encyclopedia of Insects Vol. 3 (F-toys)
Page 1 of 1