Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Microorganism Acrylic Mascot (Ikimon - Science Techni Colour)

Go down 
+2
widukind
bmathison1972
6 posters
AuthorMessage
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

Microorganism Acrylic Mascot (Ikimon - Science Techni Colour) Empty
PostSubject: Microorganism Acrylic Mascot (Ikimon - Science Techni Colour)   Microorganism Acrylic Mascot (Ikimon - Science Techni Colour) EmptyWed May 30, 2018 2:40 am

Review of the complete set of plankton in the 2018 collection Microorganism Acrylic Mascot by Ikimon - Science Techni Colour. Normally I would not collect flat, acrylic figurines like this but for plankton I can make an exception (also they can be displayed flat without losing too much).

There are eight figures, all representing plantonic organisms. They appear to be printed decals (or similar) embedded in clear acrylic. Some are unique to the toy/figure realm. Something a microbiologist like me just cannot turn down :).

On to the pics, in no particular order:

Group shot:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

1. Pedastrium species, a green alga that lives in small colonies.

2. Volvox species. I was excited for this one! It shows a cluster of vegetative cells, each containing several daughter colonies!

3. Noctiluca scintillans. This one was also in the Epoch set.

4. Scenedesmus species. Another unique green alga!

5. Euglena species. This is not identified to the species level so not sure if it is E. gracilis or Leptocinclis acus (which is often marketed as a Euglena (it does look more like a true Euglena).

6. Paramecium bursaria. This was a nice choice! Other Paramecium figures have been attributed to P. caudatum.

7. Daphnia pulex. The lone arthropod in the set (sigh) and a staple in sets of plankton toys.

8. Closterium species. The one showed up in the Takara TOMY set as well.

Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Microorganism Acrylic Mascot (Ikimon - Science Techni Colour)   Microorganism Acrylic Mascot (Ikimon - Science Techni Colour) EmptyWed May 30, 2018 5:24 am

Japanese series are very very special :)

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Microorganism Acrylic Mascot (Ikimon - Science Techni Colour)   Microorganism Acrylic Mascot (Ikimon - Science Techni Colour) EmptyWed May 30, 2018 4:39 pm

Very, very unusual and interesting Shocked

I love them, and thank you for sharing the wonderful pictures cheers Applause

bmathison1972

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

PostSubject: Re: Microorganism Acrylic Mascot (Ikimon - Science Techni Colour)   Microorganism Acrylic Mascot (Ikimon - Science Techni Colour) EmptyWed Oct 02, 2019 6:30 pm

This is a similar set of acrylic plankton mascots by an artist named Ayano Katayama. She sells them on an Etsy-like Japanese site. They compliment the Ikimon set well, but in some ways they are better because they have some texture and 3D relief to them. The artist is on maternity leave, but she was gracious enough to make me a complete set (thanks to Brett and Emiko for helping make it happen). Even got them slightly cheaper because I didn't need the keyrings.

Left to right, top to bottom:

1. Paramecium sp.
2. Amoeba proteus
3. Brachionus sp. [my first rotifer]
4. Closterium sp.
5. Pedastrium sp.
6. Daphina pulex
7. Volvox sp.
8. Bosmina longirostris [new genus and species of water flea]
9. Leptodora kindtii
10. Cyclops sp.

Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Microorganism Acrylic Mascot (Ikimon - Science Techni Colour)   Microorganism Acrylic Mascot (Ikimon - Science Techni Colour) EmptyWed Oct 02, 2019 10:57 pm

I missed the original post and that is such an interesting subject. Thanks for sharing both groups of figures with us. Very Happy

Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Microorganism Acrylic Mascot (Ikimon - Science Techni Colour)   Microorganism Acrylic Mascot (Ikimon - Science Techni Colour) EmptyWed Oct 02, 2019 11:03 pm

I missed this post too, what cool figures! Thank you for posting these, I'd love to see something like this amongst big brands. Talking about micro organisms, I'd enjoy a parasite set from some brand someday.

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Microorganism Acrylic Mascot (Ikimon - Science Techni Colour)   Microorganism Acrylic Mascot (Ikimon - Science Techni Colour) EmptyThu Oct 03, 2019 2:12 pm

cheers cheers

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Microorganism Acrylic Mascot (Ikimon - Science Techni Colour)   Microorganism Acrylic Mascot (Ikimon - Science Techni Colour) EmptyTue Oct 29, 2019 7:54 am

Blaine, I know you are a very special collector and your shelves are a place I would love to visit.

Since I know you I'm collecting surprises Laughing  and this is another one for my surprise collection: The biggest and loveliest microorganism models collection I know. Applause
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Microorganism Acrylic Mascot (Ikimon - Science Techni Colour)   Microorganism Acrylic Mascot (Ikimon - Science Techni Colour) Empty

Back to top Go down

Microorganism Acrylic Mascot (Ikimon - Science Techni Colour)
Page 1 of 1