Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Giraffe Stag Beetle (Kaiyodo - Collection of Natural History)

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

Giraffe Stag Beetle (Kaiyodo - Collection of Natural History) Empty
PostSubject: Giraffe Stag Beetle (Kaiyodo - Collection of Natural History)   Giraffe Stag Beetle (Kaiyodo - Collection of Natural History) EmptyTue Jun 05, 2018 2:32 am

Walkaround of the giraffe stag beetle, Prosopocoilus giraffa (Olivier, 1789) by Kaiyodo Collection of Natural History, No. 1 (year unknown). I became aware of this figure thanks to Brett, who stumbled upon it on YAJ. It was very expensive, but it's hard to not pursue a Kaiyodo figure. According to Beetle Guy, there were several others in the set (which I am sure he will list and/or illustrate in this post). This species is the largest member of its genus and is distributed from India to Indonesia. It is commonly made by Japanese manufacturers (especially Sega).

The figure is a resin model kit. It comes in 21 pieces: head + pronotum; remainder of thorax + abdomen; 6 legs (minus tarsi); 6 tarsi; 2 antennae; 2 labial palps; 2 maxillary palps; a pair of galae. The tarsi are silver metal and the galae are essentially a wire brush; everything else is black resin. The attatchment points are all smooth; there are no pegs, holes, etc for attachment. As such, glue or another adhesive is necessary for assembly.

The two main body pieces are very heavy. I had to use a two-part epoxy to secure them (especially since the attatchment points were smooth). I also used the epoxy to attach the metal tarsi to the legs. The legs and mouthparts were attached with super glue. Because the species is naturally black, the only painting I did was the eyes, which I made grey. After the glue dried, I cleaned up excess glue with ethyl acetate and used satin varnish to protect the painted eyes and additional securing of the appendages.

The final product is 19.5 centimeters (including mandibles, but not legs), and the kit is advertised as being 2:1. It is a very large and impressive model! Because of the size, expense, and difficulties with securing parts I probably will not pursue others in this series, unless they represent unique or rarely-made species (of course, that's easy to say now...I give in easily...).

On to pics:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

final product:

alongside the boxed DeAgostini figure (which is molded from an actual specimen) and the Sega DX figure:

Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Giraffe Stag Beetle (Kaiyodo - Collection of Natural History)   Giraffe Stag Beetle (Kaiyodo - Collection of Natural History) EmptyTue Jun 05, 2018 8:22 am

Great figurine again :)

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Giraffe Stag Beetle (Kaiyodo - Collection of Natural History)   Giraffe Stag Beetle (Kaiyodo - Collection of Natural History) EmptyThu Oct 31, 2019 11:57 am

Impressive beetle Shocked

Have you found new models of this series ?
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Giraffe Stag Beetle (Kaiyodo - Collection of Natural History)   Giraffe Stag Beetle (Kaiyodo - Collection of Natural History) EmptyThu Oct 31, 2019 11:59 am

Kikimalou wrote:
Impressive beetle Shocked

Have you found new models of this series ?

No, but I haven't been actively looking either. There is only one that is a unique species.
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Giraffe Stag Beetle (Kaiyodo - Collection of Natural History)   Giraffe Stag Beetle (Kaiyodo - Collection of Natural History) EmptyThu Oct 31, 2019 12:13 pm

Which one ?
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Giraffe Stag Beetle (Kaiyodo - Collection of Natural History)   Giraffe Stag Beetle (Kaiyodo - Collection of Natural History) EmptyThu Oct 31, 2019 2:57 pm

Kikimalou wrote:
Which one ?

I don't remember, some green cetoniine scarab (it would be a unique species figure - just can't remember what it is)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Giraffe Stag Beetle (Kaiyodo - Collection of Natural History)   Giraffe Stag Beetle (Kaiyodo - Collection of Natural History) Empty

Back to top Go down

Giraffe Stag Beetle (Kaiyodo - Collection of Natural History)
Page 1 of 1