Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

A few old friends: Charbens, JoHill and Barrett & sons

Go down 
+9
Ana
Mastiffcat
ToxicHyena
aandmkw
SyLoBe
Kikimalou
SUSANNE
HKHollinstone
castlerigg
13 posters
AuthorMessage
castlerigg

castlerigg

Country/State : UK

A few old friends: Charbens, JoHill and Barrett & sons Empty
PostSubject: A few old friends: Charbens, JoHill and Barrett & sons   A few old friends: Charbens, JoHill and Barrett & sons EmptyFri Apr 01, 2011 1:08 pm

In the early 1950's, each time my Mother made the long weekly walk into town and back, she would bring me a new metal animal. (No plastics at that time!) Slowly, I built up a farm and a zoo.

They had some hard usage and were easily broken, but a few have survived almost six decades and are still with me.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Rhino and Hippo, still in their original paint.

Battered Wolf and Tigress, which have been repaired and repainted many times.

Broken-antlered Stag and Panda. In the games I played, this Panda was always the evil criminal mastermind.

I named the Bactrian Camel "Perfume of the South", thinking it sounded right for the sort of camel which travelled the Silk Road from China. My father, who knew what real camels smelt like, laughed rudely whenever I mentioned it.

I very much wanted a full set of Cherilea spacemen figures, but only managed to get two of the small, multi-legged space monsters. They live in the farmyard with the hens. Here they are surprising a Timpo Water Buffalo.

The Wolf, Rhino, Hippo and Stag are made by Charbens.
The Tigress and evil Panda are made by Jo Hill.
The Bactrian Camel is made by Barrett and Sons.

Lesley
castlerigg

Back to top Go down
HKHollinstone

HKHollinstone

Country/State : England, CUMBRIA

PostSubject: Re: A few old friends: Charbens, JoHill and Barrett & sons   A few old friends: Charbens, JoHill and Barrett & sons EmptyFri Apr 01, 2011 3:36 pm

They are so lovely! And I love the story behind them too - you must have been very excited when your mother came home to see what new addition she'd brought! cheers

Back to top Go down
http://hkhollinstone.weebly.com/
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: A few old friends: Charbens, JoHill and Barrett & sons   A few old friends: Charbens, JoHill and Barrett & sons EmptyFri Apr 01, 2011 3:52 pm

I love the figueres and I love what you tell, - and I am SO happy that you share with us.
No matter how fine and beautyful and rare figures we buy now as adults, nothing compares to the ones with all the memories from childhood, - or perhaps this is beacuse we did not get SO much stuff them ?
When I hold my old plastic Elefant from Reisler, I do not see the broken trunk or the missing tail, I see the houses and trees we built for them, the lawn where we played and the house where we lived also Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://dyr-og-dimser.dk
castlerigg

castlerigg

PostSubject: Re: A few old friends: Charbens, JoHill and Barrett & sons   A few old friends: Charbens, JoHill and Barrett & sons EmptyFri Apr 01, 2011 4:31 pm

Yes, Harriet, I was excited! It could literally be anything from a tiny chick to an elephant!

Susanne, it feels so odd to be old! Willy was talking this week about flocked metal animals .... I remember the first ones sold in my area (it was 1957 and they were Timpo models) and how the children in my year at school decided that flocking was OK for lions and deer, but looked silly on hippos, rhinos and elephants.

Then someone was talking on the same bit of the Forum about "old" Britains figures .... and I was thinking :- "Just a minute! These are made of plastic, so they can't be old!" .

I am very lucky to have seen so many beautiful model animals made in my lifetime; and so many are still being made!

Lesley
castlerigg
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: A few old friends: Charbens, JoHill and Barrett & sons   A few old friends: Charbens, JoHill and Barrett & sons EmptyFri Apr 01, 2011 10:57 pm

Thank you for these good old pics Laughing

I have myself a "Perfume of the south", I will try to smell it this morning Wink .

About perfume, old things, good days and memories, smelling some 1950's Clairet I played with in the 1960's is still my absolute "Proust's madeleine". drunken
Back to top Go down
SyLoBe

SyLoBe

Country/State : Spain

PostSubject: Re: A few old friends: Charbens, JoHill and Barrett & sons   A few old friends: Charbens, JoHill and Barrett & sons EmptySat Apr 02, 2011 4:51 am

I love them all!

Visit my art gallery at http://sylobe.deviantart.com/gallery/

I accept commissions!
Back to top Go down
http://sylobe.deviantart.com
aandmkw

aandmkw

Country/State : Gardendale, TX

PostSubject: Re: A few old friends: Charbens, JoHill and Barrett & sons   A few old friends: Charbens, JoHill and Barrett & sons EmptyTue Apr 05, 2011 9:20 am

They are great. Thanks for sharing a part of your childhood with us. I'm glad you still have them.
Back to top Go down
ToxicHyena

ToxicHyena

Country/State : Mechanicsville , Maryland, USA

PostSubject: Re: A few old friends: Charbens, JoHill and Barrett & sons   A few old friends: Charbens, JoHill and Barrett & sons EmptyFri Sep 14, 2012 6:01 pm

These are fantastic, vintage toys at there very best.
Loved, played with and cared for. It's a bloody shame kids do not take care of there toys better now a days, I seriously doubt besides in collector hands will many of the figures made now survive into vintage or antique considerations.

Your assortment there is wonderful even in an artistic way!

I love you I love you I love you I love you

Quote :
Collector of all things Spotted Hyena!
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/people/87962687@N03/
Mastiffcat

Mastiffcat

Country/State : California

PostSubject: Re: A few old friends: Charbens, JoHill and Barrett & sons   A few old friends: Charbens, JoHill and Barrett & sons EmptyFri Sep 14, 2012 10:27 pm

sunny flower
I don't think anyone will be offended when i say your sharings are always the best, and these are.... warm days in tree houses, and rainy mornings in forts under the sofa.

You're right, that Panda is obviously quite devious! Twisted Evil

Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: A few old friends: Charbens, JoHill and Barrett & sons   A few old friends: Charbens, JoHill and Barrett & sons EmptySat Sep 15, 2012 2:33 am

Mastiffcat wrote:
sunny flower
I don't think anyone will be offended when i say your sharings are always the best, and these are....

Twisted Evil

You are SO right cheers

castlerigg

castlerigg

PostSubject: Re: A few old friends: Charbens, JoHill and Barrett & sons   A few old friends: Charbens, JoHill and Barrett & sons EmptySat Sep 15, 2012 5:05 am

Wow! This very old topic has swum to the surface again!

Thank you, friends, for your kind comments!

Lesley.

Castlerigg.
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: A few old friends: Charbens, JoHill and Barrett & sons   A few old friends: Charbens, JoHill and Barrett & sons EmptySat Sep 15, 2012 5:15 am

castlerigg wrote:

Wow! This very old topic has swum to the surface again!

Yes ! I LOVE it when somebody find these wonderful old topics again cheers

Ana

Ana

Country/State : Utrecht/NL

PostSubject: Re: A few old friends: Charbens, JoHill and Barrett & sons   A few old friends: Charbens, JoHill and Barrett & sons EmptySat Sep 15, 2012 6:32 am

So lovely figures and beautiful stories and feelings behind them! Thank You for sharing Lesley sunny sunny sunny
I love the name You gave to this camel I love you Very Happy

Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
WILLYBACOMAN

WILLYBACOMAN

Country/State : Zwolle, The Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: A few old friends: Charbens, JoHill and Barrett & sons   A few old friends: Charbens, JoHill and Barrett & sons EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 8:43 pm

Great stuff again!
I do have the same panda, but only the flocked version, battered to, but still ok...

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: A few old friends: Charbens, JoHill and Barrett & sons   A few old friends: Charbens, JoHill and Barrett & sons EmptyMon Dec 17, 2012 1:28 am

The water buffalo is my favourite cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: A few old friends: Charbens, JoHill and Barrett & sons   A few old friends: Charbens, JoHill and Barrett & sons EmptyMon Dec 17, 2012 1:41 pm

I'm also glad someone brought this topic back. Very Happy I love all figures, the pictures and mainly the stories behind themn. Very Happy
I love your topics Sue and Lesley! I love you flower queen

scot(t)

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: A few old friends: Charbens, JoHill and Barrett & sons   A few old friends: Charbens, JoHill and Barrett & sons EmptyMon Dec 17, 2012 1:54 pm

This is a fantastic post. Thank you so much for this Lesley! The stories behind the figures are really lovely. I especially liked this part...

castlerigg wrote:
In the games I played, this Panda was always the evil criminal mastermind

It reminded me so much of how it felt to play as a child and how much of it is imagined. It's a wonderful feeling.

Back to top Go down
castlerigg

castlerigg

PostSubject: Re: A few old friends: Charbens, JoHill and Barrett & sons   A few old friends: Charbens, JoHill and Barrett & sons EmptyMon Dec 17, 2012 3:29 pm

Thank you!

Oh, my, Willy, your Panda (in his Winter coat!) looks as evil as ours!!

Lesley
castlerigg
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A few old friends: Charbens, JoHill and Barrett & sons   A few old friends: Charbens, JoHill and Barrett & sons Empty

Back to top Go down

A few old friends: Charbens, JoHill and Barrett & sons
Page 1 of 1