Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Anomalocaris (Song Kong - Dino Mecard)

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

Anomalocaris (Song Kong - Dino Mecard) Empty
PostSubject: Anomalocaris (Song Kong - Dino Mecard)   Anomalocaris (Song Kong - Dino Mecard) EmptyTue Jul 24, 2018 2:39 am

This is a review of the Anomalocaris figure in the Dino Mecard line by the Korean company Sono Kong, in conjunction with Choirock. Figures in this line appear to be based on a TV show and corresponding card game, similar to Dinosaur King or Pokemon. I must admit, I collected this figure for taxonomic reasons, and I am not familiar with the line, card game, or TV show.

This is an edit of a post I wrote for the Dino Toy Blog, but sharing here too.

Anomalocaris is a genus of Cambrian animals that are part of a sister group to or, more likely, nestled along the arthropods. They were believed to be predators and specialized on trilobites and other hard-bodied marine invertebrates. For several years, the only representatives of this genus in toy form were the original Kaiyodo Dinotales figure and the Lost Kindgom Figure by Cadbury for the Yowies line. Since 2013, several other figures have hit the market including those by Safari LTD, an additional figure by Kaiyodo, and several by Favorite Co.

The figure is one of the miniatures in the line and comes in a blister pack with two ‘mecards’ and a plastic egg that contains the paper describing the figure/animal. The figure itself is articulated at the head, lobes, and tail and can fold into the egg (I wonder if other figures in the line have this same collapsible feature?).

The figure itself is highly stylized but it is something a completist like me cannot turn down. It is small, measuring 6.0 cm not including the mouthparts (see the last image for a comparison with similarly-sized figures). It is made of a hard plastic and comes pre-assembled. The colors are rather gaudy and unnatural, but for some reason appealing to me (such colors on a more realistic model might come across as less desirable but it works given the stylized nature of the figure).

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Comparison of other figures by Kaiyodo (Great Leap Forward), Favorite LTD (Cambrian Creatures Mini Model - Burgess Shale Series), Cadbury (Yowies - Lost Kongdom), Safari LTD (Cambrian TOOB), and Colorata (Paleozoic Creatures):

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Anomalocaris (Song Kong - Dino Mecard)   Anomalocaris (Song Kong - Dino Mecard) EmptyTue Jul 24, 2018 6:54 am

Congratulations, nice catch :)

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Anomalocaris (Song Kong - Dino Mecard)   Anomalocaris (Song Kong - Dino Mecard) EmptyTue Jul 24, 2018 12:44 pm

It is quite interesting that an anomalocaris is one of the choices for a tv show children oriented as this one is. Watching some videos of other figures, mostly dinosaurs, I can see they're naturally stylized what is expectable. However, I think it was a good decision to rescue such an unusual release and, afterall, that's a rendition of a unusual creature and surely a perfect complement to your collection.

Bowhead Whale

Country/State : Canada

PostSubject: Re: Anomalocaris (Song Kong - Dino Mecard)   Anomalocaris (Song Kong - Dino Mecard) EmptyThu Jul 26, 2018 10:33 pm

It's so cute!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anomalocaris (Song Kong - Dino Mecard)   Anomalocaris (Song Kong - Dino Mecard) Empty

Back to top Go down

Anomalocaris (Song Kong - Dino Mecard)
Page 1 of 1