Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Panamanian white-faced capuchin (NECA - Ace Ventura)

Go down 
+4
widukind
SUSANNE
landrover
Roger
8 posters
AuthorMessage
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

Panamanian white-faced capuchin (NECA - Ace Ventura) Empty
PostSubject: Panamanian white-faced capuchin (NECA - Ace Ventura)   Panamanian white-faced capuchin (NECA - Ace Ventura) EmptyFri Mar 15, 2019 11:59 pm

Time for one of my less-than-conventional walkarounds. This time, the Panamanian white-faced capuchin, Cebus imitator (Thomas, 1903) by National Collectibles Entertainment Association (NECA) - Ace Ventura 8" Pet Detective, released this year in 2019. Historically, most white-faced capuchins were classified as C. capucinus. When justification for separation of the two species was most-recently proposed in 2012, it was realized that the 'familiar' species (e.g., the one featured in film, such as this one) was C. imitator and not C. capucinus. As such, I am going with C. imitator for my figure.

This figure is actually an accessory to an Ace Ventura action figure from the film of the same name. It was brought to my attention on STS forum, on their thread for animal figures from action figure packs and sets. I had recently ordered the K&M Rain-forest Tube figure of this species, and the NECA figure is far superior!

The figure is hard to measure in this pose, but it seems to be about 6.0 cm long not including the tail, which would make it in the 1:13-1:17 range if I am doing the math right. The tail spins in a 360 degree fashion, so it can be displayed up, or down below the animal, or on its right or left side, all depending on how the figure is displayed.

For some reason, the camera angle makes the head look disproportionately big in my photos; in the actual figure it looks more natural. There are apparent seams at the base of the arms, but the arms do not move.

The set also came with a scarlet macaw and domestic pigeon. They are both fantastic (the pigeon is a bit small). I will highlight them when I focus on bird groups. I need to make a branch out of SuperSculpey clay for the macaw (it was designed to fit on Ace's arm).

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

With other similarly-sized New World monkeys: the black howler and red-faced spider monkey by Safari LTD and the golden lion tamarin by Papo:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by bmathison1972 on Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Panamanian white-faced capuchin (NECA - Ace Ventura)   Panamanian white-faced capuchin (NECA - Ace Ventura) EmptySat Mar 16, 2019 12:27 am

Finding figures outside of the traditional sources is one of the coolest things of this hobby. We are always wainting for Schleich, Papo, CollectA or any other similar brand to release such animals and the market surprises us as it happned here. The capuchin is actually very nice and it has a much more appealing size than the tube figure. I am almost sure the scale is not close to what you measured, it may be of a larger scale. Curiously, these monkeys have large brains and relatively large heads, maybe the head of the figure should be smaller but in some less close pics, it looks much nicer. Thanks for this interesting walk around and the comparison pictures are quite explanatory. :)

landrover

Country/State : colombia

PostSubject: Re: Panamanian white-faced capuchin (NECA - Ace Ventura)   Panamanian white-faced capuchin (NECA - Ace Ventura) EmptySat Mar 16, 2019 12:53 am

Thanks for sharing, cheers

This figure is one example that, all brands can offer to us, different species.

SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Panamanian white-faced capuchin (NECA - Ace Ventura)   Panamanian white-faced capuchin (NECA - Ace Ventura) EmptySun Mar 17, 2019 8:01 am

What a great topc to wake up to on a rainy Sunday morning cheers

You surely do have a good eye for great models, and the comparison picture is wonderful Applause

widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Panamanian white-faced capuchin (NECA - Ace Ventura)   Panamanian white-faced capuchin (NECA - Ace Ventura) EmptySun Mar 17, 2019 10:57 am

Oh, why i know that?

A good example for the interesting Action toy animals.

Are the arms moveable?

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Panamanian white-faced capuchin (NECA - Ace Ventura)   Panamanian white-faced capuchin (NECA - Ace Ventura) EmptySun Mar 17, 2019 12:44 pm

widukind wrote:
Oh, why i know that?

A good example for the interesting Action toy animals.

Are the arms moveable?

Yes, Andreas your post influenced me :-)

And no, the arms do not move; only the tail moves
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Panamanian white-faced capuchin (NECA - Ace Ventura)   Panamanian white-faced capuchin (NECA - Ace Ventura) EmptySun Mar 17, 2019 1:47 pm

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

Country/State : France

PostSubject: Re: Panamanian white-faced capuchin (NECA - Ace Ventura)   Panamanian white-faced capuchin (NECA - Ace Ventura) EmptySun Mar 17, 2019 11:48 pm

beautiful figurine of an interesting species!:)
Back to top Go down
Megaptera

Megaptera

PostSubject: Re: Panamanian white-faced capuchin (NECA - Ace Ventura)   Panamanian white-faced capuchin (NECA - Ace Ventura) EmptySat Aug 24, 2019 8:46 pm

Why, thank ye, Jack!
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Panamanian white-faced capuchin (NECA - Ace Ventura)   Panamanian white-faced capuchin (NECA - Ace Ventura) EmptyThu Oct 31, 2019 12:29 pm

Very interresting model,far superior to the K&M one. Is the set still available?
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Panamanian white-faced capuchin (NECA - Ace Ventura)   Panamanian white-faced capuchin (NECA - Ace Ventura) EmptyThu Oct 31, 2019 2:56 pm

Kikimalou wrote:
Very interresting model,far superior to the K&M one. Is the set still available?

bought it on US eBay and there were more than one.
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Panamanian white-faced capuchin (NECA - Ace Ventura)   Panamanian white-faced capuchin (NECA - Ace Ventura) EmptyThu Oct 31, 2019 3:15 pm

Thank you, I hope it is available in Europe too
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Panamanian white-faced capuchin (NECA - Ace Ventura)   Panamanian white-faced capuchin (NECA - Ace Ventura) Empty

Back to top Go down

Panamanian white-faced capuchin (NECA - Ace Ventura)
Page 1 of 1