Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Changes Ahead - Admins and Editors please read

Go down 
+8
widukind
rogerpgvg
75senta75
NightLioness
SUSANNE
landrover
Roger
Tiermann
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Tiermann

Tiermann

Country/State : Oregon, USA

Changes Ahead - Admins and Editors please read Empty
PostSubject: Changes Ahead - Admins and Editors please read   Changes Ahead - Admins and Editors please read EmptyTue Apr 23, 2019 7:37 pm

Hi folks, pretty much ever since we started the wiki we have been behind on our software versions due to our host not having the most up to date supporting software available. Our annual hosting contract is due again in a couple of months and I have decided it's time to change hosts. After researching, I have started a new hosting account for as at Mywikis.net. They use our base wiki software and will keep the software up to date for us, do nightly backups of our data, and allow us unlimited size and public use for a little less than we have been paying for our previous less adequate hosting. They were responsive to a question I asked form the public side and I am feeling pretty good about using them moving forward. My apologies to the other admins (Roger, Susanne and Christophe) for starting this process without previous discussion, but it has really been bothering me that we are at risk of being hacked due to the old software version, as well as not having backups happening regularly - risking loss of everyone's hard work. Since I have handled all the technical aspects from the start I am guessing you will all be ok with my taking the reins here. While I have opened a new account at the future host, nothing has happened as yet with the wiki itself.

The next phase will be migrating the wiki to the new hosting location. To do that we will need to stop making additions while I do backups, download data, and get things to the new hosts to massage back into shape for public use. We have some time but I may need to stop editing activity for as long as a week to make it happen. When I am ready to do so I will post here, and place a big note on the wiki home page. If you do not normally log in to your account by going to the home page first, please start doing so for now so you don't miss any front page update.

As an additional side note, after discussion with Roger I switched some aspects of the home page around to eliminate the Membership option and instead just go to straight donations. In the 7 years we have had the wiki up the memberships haven't really quite covered the full costs, though we have come close some years. I think it will be easier to just have open ended donations and an annual drive once a year when we remind people to donate to help us cover costs. I have tracked memberships and am grateful to everyone who has donated over the years, it has made the wiki possible. I do wonder though if it keeps some people from becoming editors who might like to help but don't feel they can contribute financially. The help with information and editing really should be our primary focus and the rest will hopefully get taken care of over time. Growing the community will do more for us in making it possible to cover expenses I think.

Thanks to everyone for your hard work and help with our little dream of creating a toy animal wiki - we have so far created 21,283 content pages with 30,842 images and made over 125,000 edits. Thanks so much and I hope we will continue to move into the future as strongly as ever.
Tim

Animobil.info Playmobil Animals
Back to top Go down
http://www.animobil.info
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Changes Ahead - Admins and Editors please read   Changes Ahead - Admins and Editors please read EmptyTue Apr 23, 2019 9:32 pm

Tim, these updates are unavoidable and I hope the migration went well without any bad surprise. When do you want us to stop editing?
My only and personal fear is that much probably I will not be able of using my old technology to edit on TAW. I can't do it at Wikipedia for instance. Though, I will find a solution if it happens even if it turns the editing more workful. Thanks for your dedication to this project. Very Happy

Tiermann

PostSubject: Re: Changes Ahead - Admins and Editors please read   Changes Ahead - Admins and Editors please read EmptyWed Apr 24, 2019 1:44 am

Hmm that's interesting you have trouble there. Is it the visual editor do you think? We will work to make sure that you can access the site Roger. It wouldn't be what it is without your hard work.
I don't know when we will do the move but I think at least a week for me to communicate with them and figure out how to do it.

Back to top Go down
landrover

landrover

Country/State : colombia

PostSubject: Re: Changes Ahead - Admins and Editors please read   Changes Ahead - Admins and Editors please read EmptyWed Apr 24, 2019 2:07 am

Hurray to TAW .

Thanks to all the people who help in this important work. Applause Applause Applause

SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Changes Ahead - Admins and Editors please read   Changes Ahead - Admins and Editors please read EmptyWed Apr 24, 2019 8:29 am

Laughing Here my age really shows, - I am dead-nervous when computer-stuff is changed ! farao Laughing

Recently I lost my e-mail, because of an update ! Surprised
( For good measure, one of my friends by mistake had taken my mobile phone with her home to the other end of the country, so I felt completely isolated for almost a week Laughing Embarassed )

But I admire you, and cross my fingers that it will go well, and that I will be able to work with the new system Very Happy

GOOD LUCK !!!!

Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Changes Ahead - Admins and Editors please read   Changes Ahead - Admins and Editors please read EmptyWed Apr 24, 2019 6:45 pm

Tiermann wrote:
Hmm that's interesting you have trouble there. Is it the visual editor do you think? We will work to make sure that you can access the site Roger. It wouldn't be what it is without your hard work.
I don't know when we will do the move but I think at least a week for me to communicate with them and figure out how to do it.

I edit directly on browser. My problem is that I use an outdated pc and obviously browsers I use are equally out to date. However, your motivations to update the wiki turn that procedure unavoidable and important. I will manage a way to keep editing. :)

Tiermann

PostSubject: Re: Changes Ahead - Admins and Editors please read   Changes Ahead - Admins and Editors please read EmptySat Apr 27, 2019 7:40 pm

We are now on editing pause. I will let you know when we are back to allowing edits. Access for users should be mostly unaffected.

Back to top Go down
Tiermann

Tiermann

PostSubject: Re: Changes Ahead - Admins and Editors please read   Changes Ahead - Admins and Editors please read EmptyFri Jun 21, 2019 11:09 pm

Ugh, almost done. This has taken way way way longer than I thought it would.

We are up at the new host and they will be fixing the redirects to point to the new location. Right now it is going to their main page.
To access the wiki at the new location go to https://toyanimalwiki.mywikis.net/wiki/Main_Page
This should work always from now on. Editing at the new location is open for business.
Thanks for your patience everyone.
Tim

Back to top Go down
NightLioness
NightLioness

Country/State : The Netherlands, Friesland.

PostSubject: Re: Changes Ahead - Admins and Editors please read   Changes Ahead - Admins and Editors please read EmptySat Jun 22, 2019 8:27 am

Good work Tim!! Very Happy

I have been spreading the new link on Facebook and my friends in WhatsApp.
Due to the old link not working anymore, people who don't read this topic will not know the new information.

Maybe it is handy to put this news in the moving banner here on STS, so that people will read this? :)

75senta75

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Changes Ahead - Admins and Editors please read   Changes Ahead - Admins and Editors please read EmptySat Jun 22, 2019 12:03 pm

Tiermann wrote:
Ugh, almost done. This has taken way way way longer than I thought it would.

Many thanks Tim for time and all your efforts for this great project. cheers cheers
It was certainly an extremely complex work. Applause Applause

NightLioness wrote:
Maybe it is handy to put this news in the moving banner here on STS, so that people will read this? :)

Yes Karin, I agree with you, that is a good idea. sunny

75senta75

PostSubject: Re: Changes Ahead - Admins and Editors please read   Changes Ahead - Admins and Editors please read EmptySat Jun 22, 2019 12:12 pm

Tiermann wrote:
I switched some aspects of the home page around to eliminate the Membership option and instead just go to straight donations.

I think that's a very useful adjustment.

NightLioness

PostSubject: Re: Changes Ahead - Admins and Editors please read   Changes Ahead - Admins and Editors please read EmptySun Jun 23, 2019 11:38 am

Logo doesn't appear when I open TAI now :)

Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Changes Ahead - Admins and Editors please read   Changes Ahead - Admins and Editors please read EmptySun Jun 23, 2019 11:40 am

Great job, dear Tim !!!!! cheers
Thankyou for all your work and innovativeness sunny flower

rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Changes Ahead - Admins and Editors please read   Changes Ahead - Admins and Editors please read EmptyMon Jun 24, 2019 9:21 pm

Thank you, Tim. Must have been a lot of work, these computer things usually are. It works well. But the Donate link is small Wink
The wiki has been very useful for me, great source of information.
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Changes Ahead - Admins and Editors please read   Changes Ahead - Admins and Editors please read EmptyTue Jun 25, 2019 6:48 pm

Can anybody change the link in the STS headline?

STS members can merge Very Happy

sunny Andreas sunny
Back to top Go down
Tiermann

Tiermann

PostSubject: Re: Changes Ahead - Admins and Editors please read   Changes Ahead - Admins and Editors please read EmptyTue Jun 25, 2019 7:27 pm

widukind wrote:
Can anybody change the link in the STS headline?

It will go back to working correctly eventually. They are supposed to set it so that our 'real' address redirects to the correct page. They seem to take a long time to get things done sometimes.
I am also aware of the logo image issue, they have tried a few different things and I am again waiting for them to get it fixed.
It took them literally a month to get the images all loaded, but it turns out that aside from the 30,000 regular images we have there are around 300,000 thumbnail images that, while small, add up to a lot of data.

Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Changes Ahead - Admins and Editors please read   Changes Ahead - Admins and Editors please read EmptyTue Jun 25, 2019 7:32 pm

Okay

sunny Andreas sunny
Back to top Go down
aschuck

aschuck

Country/State : Michigan

PostSubject: News From my side, well not really anything interesting   Changes Ahead - Admins and Editors please read EmptyThu Jun 27, 2019 4:02 am

Hi Guys, Hey, I was wondering just where TAI went, because when mom and I looked at the link, we were sent somewhere else entirely. So what's going on? I hope we haven't been hacked or something. that would be bad. Anyway, if somebody could send me an email with the new address of the website, that would be great. In the meantime, well, we'll see what's to be done. By the way, what pictures are we missing on Tai? The reason I ask is because I might have figures whose pictures we're missing. Example: Safari 260429 Sea Turtle. Anyway let me know, and I'll see what I can do. For now keep me posted. Thanks, Aschuck
Back to top Go down
Tiermann

Tiermann

PostSubject: Re: Changes Ahead - Admins and Editors please read   Changes Ahead - Admins and Editors please read EmptyThu Jun 27, 2019 10:37 pm

It's part of the ongoing location change. I have just posted to the hosts about it again, they are supposed to be getting the redirect fixed at their end but are slow to respond. Sorry about that.

Back to top Go down
Tiermann

Tiermann

PostSubject: Re: Changes Ahead - Admins and Editors please read   Changes Ahead - Admins and Editors please read EmptySat Jun 29, 2019 2:37 am

Fixed! I think we are good to go now. Let me know if you find any problems.
Tim

Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Changes Ahead - Admins and Editors please read   Changes Ahead - Admins and Editors please read EmptySun Jun 30, 2019 7:29 am

When I try the link it's still taking me to what I assume is the new hosting site general home page. I needed to look something up so I hope it gets fixed soon.

https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
NightLioness
NightLioness

PostSubject: Re: Changes Ahead - Admins and Editors please read   Changes Ahead - Admins and Editors please read EmptySun Jun 30, 2019 9:43 pm

TAW website is doing fine with me Very Happy
Logo is up again and it works good.

Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Changes Ahead - Admins and Editors please read   Changes Ahead - Admins and Editors please read EmptySun Jun 30, 2019 9:55 pm

Aha! There it is! Now it is working for me.

https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
Tiermann

Tiermann

PostSubject: Re: Changes Ahead - Admins and Editors please read   Changes Ahead - Admins and Editors please read EmptyMon Jul 01, 2019 11:37 pm

If you have a bookmark you may need to update to just https://toyanimal.info now. The wiki part does not resolve to the exact same place as it did before, but the base URL works fine.

Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Changes Ahead - Admins and Editors please read   Changes Ahead - Admins and Editors please read EmptySun Jul 21, 2019 6:04 pm

NightLioness wrote:
TAW website is doing fine with me Very Happy
Logo is up again and it works good.

technical diffulties at the moment?

sunny Andreas sunny
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Changes Ahead - Admins and Editors please read   Changes Ahead - Admins and Editors please read Empty

Back to top Go down

Changes Ahead - Admins and Editors please read
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next