Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Play Visions American Museum of Natural History Zzanga-Sangha Rainforest collection topic

Go down 
+15
Saarlooswolfhound
Stripedhyena
Kikimalou
Birdsage
NMR_Okapi
Joliezac
MansoBoricua
bmathison1972
Caracal
landrover
WhiteLightning Wolf
SUSANNE
Roger
widukind
Froggie
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Froggie

Froggie

Country/State : Potsdam, Germany

Play Visions American Museum of Natural History Zzanga-Sangha Rainforest collection topic Empty
PostSubject: Play Visions American Museum of Natural History Zzanga-Sangha Rainforest collection topic   Play Visions American Museum of Natural History Zzanga-Sangha Rainforest collection topic EmptyTue Feb 02, 2016 11:16 am

Lately I've got a set with little big cats and one of them was a big surprise - it was indeed a Playvisions Leopard I never had seen nor heard of.
It is slightly bigger than other leopard/big cats and looks a bit less detailled, a bit more childish.
It has the year 1999 on the belly. Now I was wondering it it might belong to this rare set with red forest buffalo, aardvark, pangolin and colobus. I've read somewhere that it was a set of four, but maybe there were TWO sets of four?
Does anybody knows anything about this? Well, it seems that PV still has some secrets left to unveil.

Here are the pictures (I haven't found a number yet, but I haven't found any on the colobus either):

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

Play Visions American Museum of Natural History Zzanga-Sangha Rainforest collection topic Empty
PostSubject: Re: Play Visions American Museum of Natural History Zzanga-Sangha Rainforest collection topic   Play Visions American Museum of Natural History Zzanga-Sangha Rainforest collection topic EmptyTue Feb 02, 2016 12:06 pm

Very very interesting :)

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Play Visions American Museum of Natural History Zzanga-Sangha Rainforest collection topic   Play Visions American Museum of Natural History Zzanga-Sangha Rainforest collection topic EmptyTue Feb 02, 2016 6:52 pm

When Beatrice doesn't know, who knows? scratch
Well, actually other friends were already helpful with other questions and I believe that if someone finds it out, it will be shared here. Very Happy

Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Play Visions American Museum of Natural History Zzanga-Sangha Rainforest collection topic   Play Visions American Museum of Natural History Zzanga-Sangha Rainforest collection topic EmptyThu Feb 04, 2016 4:11 am

WOW ! Beatrice, what a wonderful, exiting find cheers

WhiteLightning Wolf

WhiteLightning Wolf

Country/State : United States

PostSubject: Large 1999 Play Visions Leopard Walkaround - Has anyone seen this leopard before?-   Play Visions American Museum of Natural History Zzanga-Sangha Rainforest collection topic EmptyFri Nov 22, 2019 1:18 pm

Discovered a new PV (Play Visions) figure recently in the form of a very beautiful large scale leopard. It is not on T.A.I. and I have no idea what set it belongs to or what other animals it came with. It is dated 1999 which was around the last year most PV figures were in production. Got this beauty from the seller TheOrganizedHoarder on Mercari.

landrover

Country/State : colombia

PostSubject: Re: Play Visions American Museum of Natural History Zzanga-Sangha Rainforest collection topic   Play Visions American Museum of Natural History Zzanga-Sangha Rainforest collection topic EmptyFri Nov 22, 2019 7:11 pm

Wonderful leopard . I have not this figure.

widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Play Visions American Museum of Natural History Zzanga-Sangha Rainforest collection topic   Play Visions American Museum of Natural History Zzanga-Sangha Rainforest collection topic EmptySat Nov 23, 2019 5:45 am

Great catch, never seen before

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

Country/State : France

PostSubject: Re: Play Visions American Museum of Natural History Zzanga-Sangha Rainforest collection topic   Play Visions American Museum of Natural History Zzanga-Sangha Rainforest collection topic EmptySat Nov 23, 2019 5:59 am

very beautiful! cheers Applause
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

PostSubject: Re: Play Visions American Museum of Natural History Zzanga-Sangha Rainforest collection topic   Play Visions American Museum of Natural History Zzanga-Sangha Rainforest collection topic EmptySat Nov 23, 2019 6:56 am

could it be from one of the box sets? They had some through the AMNH and I think some through National Geographic.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Play Visions American Museum of Natural History Zzanga-Sangha Rainforest collection topic   Play Visions American Museum of Natural History Zzanga-Sangha Rainforest collection topic EmptySat Nov 23, 2019 7:29 am

Fallon, you are always surprising us! Naturally, as the pv catalogue we know is from 1998, this figure is not pictured there. Probably it is just one more figure from that series of large animals that was released after those we know.
The figure is very beautiful. I love the proportions, shoulders, legs, tail, flanks, tremendous sculpt!
I will add it on TAW. Wink

MansoBoricua

Country/State : US

PostSubject: Re: Play Visions American Museum of Natural History Zzanga-Sangha Rainforest collection topic   Play Visions American Museum of Natural History Zzanga-Sangha Rainforest collection topic EmptyWed Sep 22, 2021 11:47 am

Hi WhiteLightning Wolf! Perhaps that leopard was included in a box set by PV that included a colobus, a pangolin, a chimp and the very rare PV forest buffalo. All those figures were released back in 1999. Shocked
Back to top Go down
https://ianadames02.wixsite.com/ianadamesart
Joliezac

Joliezac

Country/State : New Jersey, USA

PostSubject: Re: Play Visions American Museum of Natural History Zzanga-Sangha Rainforest collection topic   Play Visions American Museum of Natural History Zzanga-Sangha Rainforest collection topic EmptyWed Sep 22, 2021 4:29 pm

I don't know much about AAA so I'm afraid I can't help but this is such a beautiful leopard! Great find!

Animal Ark Website
Back to top Go down
https://joliezacc9d79.myportfolio.com/
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Play Visions American Museum of Natural History Zzanga-Sangha Rainforest collection topic   Play Visions American Museum of Natural History Zzanga-Sangha Rainforest collection topic EmptyWed Sep 22, 2021 4:41 pm

MansoBoricua wrote:
Hi WhiteLightning Wolf! Perhaps that leopard was included in a box set by PV that included a colobus, a pangolin, a chimp and the very rare PV forest buffalo. All those figures were released back in 1999. Shocked

That's an interesting observation once sets with a large figure boxed together with a few small figures are known. Though, is it a supposition or have you ever seen it somewhere? There's an aardvark and a chimp too.

MansoBoricua

PostSubject: Re: Play Visions American Museum of Natural History Zzanga-Sangha Rainforest collection topic   Play Visions American Museum of Natural History Zzanga-Sangha Rainforest collection topic EmptyWed Sep 22, 2021 5:30 pm

Roger wrote:
MansoBoricua wrote:

That's an interesting observation once sets with a large figure boxed together with a few small figures are known. Though, is it a supposition or have you ever seen it somewhere? There's an aardvark and a chimp too.

I just guessed it, since although I've never seen a set with these animals, they still have the same date (1999), the only leopard subspecies produced by PV is the African leopard (the most widespread carnivore in Central & West Africa), this particular leopard is not featured on any other sets, and remember that the PV pangolin, chimp, colobus and forest buffalo have roughly the same year of production. It will be a miracle when collectors find out the PV set name in any catalog. Shocked

It's more likely that this set wasn't from PV's Habitat Earth, but from the National Geographic Society instead. The National Geographic sets had a large carnivore figure, the rest being mini PVC figures. Just trying to mention my best guess.
Back to top Go down
MansoBoricua

MansoBoricua

PostSubject: Re: Play Visions American Museum of Natural History Zzanga-Sangha Rainforest collection topic   Play Visions American Museum of Natural History Zzanga-Sangha Rainforest collection topic EmptyWed Sep 22, 2021 5:32 pm

Back in 2016, when my username was TheAnimalStudyGuy, I remember the only owners of the PV Forest buffalo were Widukind and Dinocat62. Thus, yes, it's one of the rarest PV minis.
Back to top Go down
NMR_Okapi

Country/State : United States

PostSubject: Re: Play Visions American Museum of Natural History Zzanga-Sangha Rainforest collection topic   Play Visions American Museum of Natural History Zzanga-Sangha Rainforest collection topic EmptyWed Sep 22, 2021 7:16 pm

There Chimpanzee is actually a larger figure and an additional small figure is the lowland gorilla.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Play Visions American Museum of Natural History Zzanga-Sangha Rainforest collection topic   Play Visions American Museum of Natural History Zzanga-Sangha Rainforest collection topic EmptyThu Sep 23, 2021 12:41 am

It makes sense but still a few misteries to be solved. We have the 1998 catalogue so I hope we can find official information about latter releases. Yes, those are really rare, I wished I could find the tree pangolin but I only know it from Sergey and Andreas collection and the figure is the same once it migrated. Laughing

Birdsage

Country/State : United States/Texas

PostSubject: Re: Play Visions American Museum of Natural History Zzanga-Sangha Rainforest collection topic   Play Visions American Museum of Natural History Zzanga-Sangha Rainforest collection topic EmptyThu Sep 23, 2021 3:40 pm

Interesting theory! It may well be the case that this is a later National Geographic set containing some of these 1999 African animals.
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Play Visions American Museum of Natural History Zzanga-Sangha Rainforest collection topic   Play Visions American Museum of Natural History Zzanga-Sangha Rainforest collection topic EmptyFri Sep 24, 2021 9:20 am

Rare and so beautiful... this leopard has already a place in my heart for want of being on my shelves.
Back to top Go down
Birdsage

Birdsage

Country/State : United States/Texas

PostSubject: Re: Play Visions American Museum of Natural History Zzanga-Sangha Rainforest collection topic   Play Visions American Museum of Natural History Zzanga-Sangha Rainforest collection topic EmptyFri Dec 10, 2021 9:01 am

NEW INFORMATION:

I have proof that the large leopard appeared in a National Geographic Predators box set. The collector’s booklet that came with the one that I got (which does not contain the large leopard) lists a leopard. Also, the list seems to be ordered by figure type: first come the species depicted as large figures, from the grizzly bear to the leopard. These are not repeated, of course. Then come the figures from the Bears set, followed by those from the Wild Dogs series, and finally the Wild Cats. It is still speculative how the unclassified “Congo” animals were sold and whether there was a box set that included those and the large leopard. It seems reasonable that a figure sold in a later release of a “Predators”/“Wild Cats” set would also appear in a geographic set; the same large figure appearing in both a taxonomic set and a regional set has happened multiple times with these National Geographic box sets.
Side note: Some small figures also appear in both geographic and taxonomic series/sets. This may be why an eighth small figure hasn’t been discovered for the speculative “Congo” series. If it is indeed a repeat of an existing figure from one of the taxonomic series, it is certainly not the Okapi or Mandrill, as those have already appeared in the Rainforest habitat set. The Bongo from the Ungulates set seems like the most likely candidate.
Side note 2: The African Striped Hyena is miscalled “African Striped Dog” in the booklet.
Back to top Go down
MansoBoricua

MansoBoricua

PostSubject: Play Visions American Museum of Natural History Zanga-Sangha Rainforest... quick discovery....   Play Visions American Museum of Natural History Zzanga-Sangha Rainforest collection topic EmptyThu Jan 04, 2024 12:31 pm

Hey, everyone! Good news! I was contacting the Play Visions staff for a question about the 1999 catalog, and an employee named Nicole revealed that the Forest buffalo, tree pangolin and Guereza monkey were from an AMNH set (sold at the American Museum of Natural History), with animals from the Dzanga-Sangha Park. Here are some pictures of the 1999 catalog (special thanks to Nicole from PV).

Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Play Visions American Museum of Natural History Zzanga-Sangha Rainforest collection topic   Play Visions American Museum of Natural History Zzanga-Sangha Rainforest collection topic EmptyThu Jan 04, 2024 1:22 pm

Fantastic discovery Applause Applause Applause Applause

Thank you cheers
Back to top Go down
Stripedhyena

Stripedhyena

Country/State : Spain

PostSubject: Re: Play Visions American Museum of Natural History Zzanga-Sangha Rainforest collection topic   Play Visions American Museum of Natural History Zzanga-Sangha Rainforest collection topic EmptyThu Jan 04, 2024 1:27 pm

FINALLY! Many thanks, it’s a jewel!
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Play Visions American Museum of Natural History Zzanga-Sangha Rainforest collection topic   Play Visions American Museum of Natural History Zzanga-Sangha Rainforest collection topic EmptyThu Jan 04, 2024 1:29 pm

Wow, you solved a mysterie.

Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Play Visions American Museum of Natural History Zzanga-Sangha Rainforest collection topic   Play Visions American Museum of Natural History Zzanga-Sangha Rainforest collection topic EmptyThu Jan 04, 2024 5:35 pm

Yes, this is one of the biggest misteries we've been discussing on forum. Fantastic job and thanks to Nicole too. :)

Last edited by Roger on Sun Aug 18, 2024 8:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Play Visions American Museum of Natural History Zzanga-Sangha Rainforest collection topic   Play Visions American Museum of Natural History Zzanga-Sangha Rainforest collection topic Empty

Back to top Go down

Play Visions American Museum of Natural History Zzanga-Sangha Rainforest collection topic
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next