Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

My little collection of dinoes

Go down 
+6
Roger
Sumo
aandmkw
skysthelimit
HKHollinstone
SUSANNE
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

My little collection of dinoes - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: My little collection of dinoes   My little collection of dinoes - Page 2 EmptySun May 01, 2011 8:49 pm

It is all very confusing, - a mastodont is a sort of elefant with too many tusks, and a mastodonsaurus is an enormous frog alien scratch scratch

And "-odon-" means something with teeth, saurus is Lizard, and none of them are lizards, and a frog has no teeth (?) ... affraid
Back to top Go down
http://dyr-og-dimser.dk
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: My little collection of dinoes   My little collection of dinoes - Page 2 EmptySun May 01, 2011 8:58 pm

SUSANNE wrote:
It is all very confusing, - a mastodont is a sort of elefant with too many tusks, and a mastodonsaurus is an enormous frog alien scratch scratch

And "-odon-" means something with teeth, saurus is Lizard, and none of them are lizards, and a frog has no teeth (?) ... affraid

lol! ...and the worst is that the first name is the only accepted! So, if the name doesn't make sense will continue forever!
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: My little collection of dinoes   My little collection of dinoes - Page 2 EmptySun May 01, 2011 9:14 pm

Roger wrote:
SUSANNE wrote:

lol! ...and the worst is that the first name is the only accepted! So, if the name doesn't make sense will continue forever!

A frog has no teeth BUt a mastodonsaurus had a lot of teeth. It was not a frog, it was a big amphibian.. With teeth What a Face

Some animals were called saurus when they were discovered and the finder first thought they were reptiles but they were not.

It's the story of the mastodonsaurus, which was a big amphibian and of the basilosaurus which was a very big mammal
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: My little collection of dinoes   My little collection of dinoes - Page 2 EmptySun May 01, 2011 9:33 pm

Shocked

I will have to borrow more books about them Rolling Eyes study scratch Suspect study geek study Shocked study Sleep

One problem is, that the books I can get at the local lib are only about dinoes What a Face
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: My little collection of dinoes   My little collection of dinoes - Page 2 EmptySun May 01, 2011 9:36 pm

Kikimalou wrote:
[quote="
A frog has no teeth BUt a mastodonsaurus had a lot of teeth. It was not a frog, it was a big amphibian.. With teeth What a Face

Of course it is not a frog, it has a long tail and teeth, it's surely a salamander! tongue monkey Laughing Wink
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: My little collection of dinoes   My little collection of dinoes - Page 2 EmptySun May 01, 2011 9:50 pm

It is a crocofrog...bert Laughing
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: My little collection of dinoes   My little collection of dinoes - Page 2 EmptySun May 01, 2011 9:52 pm

Kikimalou wrote:
It is a crocofrog...bert Laughing

Laughing cheers monkey
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: My little collection of dinoes   My little collection of dinoes - Page 2 EmptySun May 01, 2011 9:53 pm

cheers bounce alien bounce cheers
Back to top Go down
WILLYBACOMAN

WILLYBACOMAN

Country/State : Zwolle, The Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: My little collection of dinoes   My little collection of dinoes - Page 2 EmptyWed May 18, 2011 12:15 am

First my gratulations on your very nice Bullyland pre-historics, this way i can't make a mistake i guess, haha... Wink

About those names...
I know this from my tropical fish and stuff like that...
The name that was given first, is normally the name that stays, that means, the name of the species, the genus, so the name of the family can change, if there are new insights into the matter...
An example:Panthera tigris, the tiger...
Panthera is the family, tigris the species, eventually with a third name, the subspecies, so for the Siberian tiger: Panthera tigris altaica
If it is found out, that the tiger doesn't belong into this family, the first name Panthera will be changed by any scientist in an official article, but if this is accepted by the rest of the scientists is another question... Rolling Eyes scratch
But the rest of the name stays, only possibly slightly changed to the first name, if it is female, male or neuter...
Another example for this...
I do have a fishspecies from Central-America here, that was known as Vieja synspila.
But as the family name changed into Paratheraps, the species name changed into synspilus, which fits to the first familyname...
Is it still understandable??? scratch study
Anyway, there are strict regulations in naming species, and this has to make things clear, but if a name changes a lot, a lot of people get lost in the matter of course.
As i do write national- and international articles about tropical fish, i have to keep up, which is not always easy as you may understand, so how can we aspect from normal people that they understand the names of the pre-historic creatures all of the time... Rolling Eyes
But it helps if you are really interested, and when you do speak some Latin languages, like French, Spanish, Portugese, Italian, Romanian or Latin.
This way you can recognise lots of names by the meaning of them, like Susanne did before with donto as teeth... Wink
But to make things more complicated, the names of species are taken from the Latin or Greek, with a lot of variations in that, so forget it, if you are not into it, because you will loose track, haha... geek

Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: My little collection of dinoes   My little collection of dinoes - Page 2 EmptyWed May 18, 2011 6:35 am

affraid affraid affraid

I did have Latin and French at school, - but that is 40 years ago farao Laughing Laughing

And it seems to me that many of those dinoes have greek names scratch geek

So I make "idiot rules", like "Dilopia", - ear-lope.
Or Parasaurolophus, - something with a parasol on the head that is a lope, - but then I remember wrong and get Paralopusaurus... so I just call him a parasollosaurus Laughing Laughing Laughing geek clown
Back to top Go down
WILLYBACOMAN

WILLYBACOMAN

Country/State : Zwolle, The Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: My little collection of dinoes   My little collection of dinoes - Page 2 EmptyWed May 18, 2011 1:45 pm

Very Happy Laughing geek

PostSubject: Re: My little collection of dinoes   My little collection of dinoes - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

My little collection of dinoes
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2