Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

review of the Wenno North American set

Go down 
+2
bmathison1972
Roger
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

review of the Wenno North American set  Empty
PostSubject: review of the Wenno North American set    review of the Wenno North American set  EmptyTue Feb 04, 2020 11:27 pm

Wenno developed not long ago, a number of sets about a certain Geographic area.
Ironically, this brand is replacing Schleich in an important chain of toy stores in Portugal! Shocked
They have still a weird concept, where some moulds are used as different species in different sets.
Sometimes it is acceptable but Wenno is going too far.
I've got the North American set, the only with a fox from the few available.
Figures are solide, qutie heavy actually, and their sizes are similar to Schleich, sometimes just a little smaller.
Ah, silly me, these figures come in a display box set and I throw mine away, by mistake, before checking the information countained on it. pale
Let's start with the fox.
That's a strangely coloured fox. There's an evident darkening along the back and the tail misses the typical white tip. I can find this colour layout in some of my Chinafoxes.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

There is a grey wolf howling, a mandatory piece when the subject is North American woodlands.

The most misterious figure is the next one.This mould is used for felines in other sets and I think it is a cougar. Though, online I find it sold as a coyote! Shocked
It is really a very bad cougar figure but how can we accept it as a coyote?

Here another mistery. It is sold as a bear and in some sources as a grizzly. Though, it is black. Do they intend to use it as an American black bear or they just decided to use the black color to a grizlly?
The mould is clearly of a grizlly and some brown bear subspecies display black colours.
There is even the Ussuri brown bear, also known as black grizzly bear that this figure may represent even if it is just accidentally.

This figure is marketed as a deer and it is a caribou so everything is fine.

Maybe the nicest of this batch is this moose. At least we can see clearly what it is. rendeer

I bought it because it was in a after-Christmas discount and I will keep only the fox.
All others will need new owners.

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

PostSubject: Re: review of the Wenno North American set    review of the Wenno North American set  EmptyTue Feb 04, 2020 11:56 pm

your 'ugly cougar' looks like an even uglier raccoon?!? [at least in the face]
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: review of the Wenno North American set    review of the Wenno North American set  EmptyWed Feb 05, 2020 12:50 am

The cougar-coyote-raccoon is a truly horrid figure over all. I can't accept it as any of the species described...

The wolf however is really lovely. Wink Congrats on the unique fox! The moose and caribou look like Schleich copies.

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: review of the Wenno North American set    review of the Wenno North American set  EmptyWed Feb 05, 2020 5:29 am

To sad the Wenno figures are are different species in the different sets

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: review of the Wenno North American set    review of the Wenno North American set  EmptyWed Feb 05, 2020 9:05 pm

You're all right, Blaine, Paige and Andreas! Very Happy
It is almost impossible to believe that this company wants to compete with Schleich but to contradict me this toy shop chain, that sold Schleich for several years, is using Wenno sets to replace the much nicer Schleich figures. It is a pity they're not using CollectA or any of the other major brands instead.

rogerpgvg

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: review of the Wenno North American set    review of the Wenno North American set  EmptyWed Feb 05, 2020 9:42 pm

These are not so high on my wish list. How much are they? Not that I want to buy them now Very Happy, but I wonder how cheap they need to be to be able to compete with Schleich.

Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: review of the Wenno North American set    review of the Wenno North American set  EmptyWed Feb 05, 2020 10:45 pm

Hmmm, compete with Schleich, - perhaps on price ? Wink
Availability is of course also an important parameter, as we know well.

But thanks to you, Roger, I know some others that I certainly prefer , such as Miniland and Playtive ....but probably they aren't really cheap scratch

Or perhaps it is the "coyugar" which drags it all down ? alien
The caribou, for instance, is really nice Very Happy

Anyway, I like very much to see these kind of products also !
Thankyou for sharing the great photos flower

Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: review of the Wenno North American set    review of the Wenno North American set  EmptyWed Feb 05, 2020 11:25 pm

This set with the discount was 14,99€ but the original price is 19,99€. It doesn't worth the money in my opinion but it is good to remember it comes boxed, with a kind of map and supposedly some cards that we can use with an app in our mobile devices. It is composed of 6 figures, a little more than 3 Euros each in average.
I remember the Playtive Susanne mentioned were 10 Euros each set with 5 figures.
I personally find the Playtive much nicer and they average 2 Euros a piece what I think is a very reasonable price.
Miniland figures were only available in Spain, not widely as these and they represent much more interesting collectibles. Figures at their time were not as realistic as the modern ones so the level of exigence is not the same.
Though, among these Wenno, I'd say the moose looks decent to me while the cougar is ridiculous.

rogerpgvg

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: review of the Wenno North American set    review of the Wenno North American set  EmptyThu Feb 06, 2020 9:16 am

That's not so cheap. The mobile app sounds intriguing. First animal toys with an app?

Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: review of the Wenno North American set    review of the Wenno North American set  EmptyThu Feb 06, 2020 11:42 am

rogerpgvg wrote:
That's not so cheap. The mobile app sounds intriguing. First animal toys with an app?

Not the first, CollectA is doing it with their "Augmented Reality" with an app that gives some life to the figure when it is being filmed with a mobile camera. You can find some info [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Just check 2nd SBell's post.
Animal Planet also did it with some Mojö Fun dinosaurs, if I am not wrong, these dinos were part of a mobile game. Wenno is doing something more similar with Tiptoi or Scanopedia where the goal is to give information about the animal. The difference is that instead of using an interactive chip, wenno uses scanning cards and a app we install in our mobile phones or tablets.

PostSubject: Re: review of the Wenno North American set    review of the Wenno North American set  Empty

Back to top Go down

review of the Wenno North American set
Page 1 of 1